HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 10:51 AM
LaGu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No no, you're point was solid, I just meant the general idea that "this guy can't fix" things, but they don't have to.

And frankly, I'd have little problem paying Stalberg up to $2.5M, I really think he would make an excellent fit.
I'd go a bit lower than that, $1.5.

I just have this feeling that Stalberg's "success" is because of the team he is playing on... That's just me though, and I may very well be wrong. If he could translate what he's doing over there to here I'd be fine with $2.5, but with the risk (as perceived by me) I wouldn't like it.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
If Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo are both unsigned come July 1 - I'd focus my concentration on Shattenkirk.

1) Teams are going to be lining up for Pietrangelo, and STL is going to make it their focus to get this guy re-signed/match an offer sheet

2) This leaves Shattenkirk - who is literally almost at Pietrangelo's level. He becomes expendable if they have to pay a premium to play Pietrangelo. Their internal cap dictates this. He's been playing with Jackman for most of the past couple seasons, and together they've operated at the level of a 1st pairing. Shattenkirk-Smid would be a pairing I'd bill as our #1 if they were to ever be assembled.

3) I'd offer Shattenkirk 5.75-6.25M, and happily give up the picks. Then to make this all affordable for the future, I'd trade Eberle and his 6M+ in a package for depth (something like Eberle+ for McDonagh).

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
MPS-Gagner-Yakupov
____-RNH-Ward

Smid-Shattenkirk
McDonagh-Petry
Fistric-J.Schultz

Voila, a legitimate top pairing, a legitimate 2nd pairing, and elimination of some of the clutter within our top-9 forwards.
Hemsky will be long gone before they'd even think of considering the trading of Ebs. Hemsky isn't a part of the long term future that Eberle is...

Old
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hands View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1044--nhl.html

Any interest in Myers? what would the oil have to give up?
probably have to give up one of Eberle, Gagner or Yakupov. I might be alright with it, but there is NO WAY Tambo has the stones to do that trade. he's too worried that Yak will end up being a 40 goal scorer and make him look bad someday.

I am completely convinced that 'how this will make me look someday if..' is an all-consuming factor for Tambo.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hands View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1044--nhl.html

Any interest in Myers? what would the oil have to give up?
I would think, as of right now, Petry +, I wonder if you could make a larger, more risky deal from the Oilers perspect, but one that surely improves the blueline.

To BUF: Petry, Marincin and Nick Schultz (maybe another pick or prospect)

To EDM: Myers and Erhoff

So the Blueline now stacks up like

Smid - Myers
Erhoff - Schultz
Fistric - Klefbom
Potter(until they get rid of him)/UFA/DeKeyser

Old
03-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
probably have to give up one of Eberle, Gagner or Yakupov. I might be alright with it, but there is NO WAY Tambo has the stones to do that trade. he's too worried that Yak will end up being a 40 goal scorer and make him look bad someday.

I am completely convinced that 'how this will make me look someday if..' is an all-consuming factor for Tambo.
Yeah, and it has nothing to do with the idea "maybe we should keep a guy who could be a 50g scorer"

Ugh you people.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I was going to bring him up, but I had that debate Friday night with a buddy. Apparently Schultz is playing awesome.
For a NHL rookie that's never played more than 43 games in a season while in college, and has now played 64 games so far (AHL + NHL)? No, he's not doing too badly. Especially at a .5 ppg pace...

Old
03-25-2013, 10:57 AM
CupofOil

Quote:

He should have that mentality.
Myers has been regressing for 2+ seasons and has a contract that is way too rich for what he is producing while Yakupov is a rookie on his ELC with enormous potential so yeah, that would be a trade where he should wonder "how this will make him look someday" and he could very well look like a jackass if he made that trade.
Tambellini has many many faults but one of them is not him overvaluing his prized assets and reluctantly pulling the trigger. His dealings with declining vet assets on the other hand.....

Old
03-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
For a NHL rookie that's never played more than 43 games in a season while in college, and has now played 64 games so far (AHL + NHL)? No, he's not doing too badly. Especially at a .5 ppg pace...
The lack of depth around him and his fatigue because of that isn't Schultz' fault.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If he is not starting with the Oilers next year he's not as good as we all hoped. If he can't beat out the slugs we have back there now then he is B+ prospect instead of an A prospect.
It's not a matter of him not being good enough. It's all about the Oilers propensity to ruch prospects and put them and other players in spots they should never be in. Justin Schultz was thrown into a top 4 mix this year, when on most teams he would be bottom pairing, learning the pro game and getting some PP time. He's struggled immensely at times this year, and put pressure on his playing partners to cover up. I don't want Klefbom to have to endure the same.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Hemsky will be long gone before they'd even think of considering the trading of Ebs. Hemsky isn't a part of the long term future that Eberle is...
Both are grandiously overpaid. Eberle is the one that would bring in the biggest return in a trade - far more than the actual difference between him and Ebs performance wise

Old
03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
The lack of depth around him and his fatigue because of that isn't Schultz' fault.
Agreed...

Old
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Yeah, and it has nothing to do with the idea "maybe we should keep a guy who could be a 50g scorer"

Ugh you people.
we have 5 guys who 'could be a 50 goal scorer' and not one 6'7" horse on the blueline.

when are 'you people' going to figure out that you can't win with 12 quarterbacks and no O-line. we have TOOOOOO MUCH of one kind of player and not enough of every other kind of player needed to win.

and come the draft we will be adding another 'could score 50 goals' 18 year old. like it not, this team will not win before management makes some very big decisions on personnel. Probably, one of Eberle or Yak will be not be part of the team when it is time to win. that decision will hit this management team in the face in about 2 years, when all these flashy kids still can't win.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Both are grandiously overpaid. Eberle is the one that would bring in the biggest return in a trade - far more than the actual difference between him and Ebs performance wise
Ebs is getting 1.5 this year...how is that overpaid? Better that he have an off year this year, than the next when his new contract kicks in.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

What? Stones? I hope he isn't stupid enough to do that.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:06 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It's not a matter of him not being good enough. It's all about the Oilers propensity to ruch prospects and put them and other players in spots they should never be in. Justin Schultz was thrown into a top 4 mix this year, when on most teams he would be bottom pairing, learning the pro game and getting some PP time. He's struggled immensely at times this year, and put pressure on his playing partners to cover up. I don't want Klefbom to have to endure the same.
Didn't Karlsson have a similar kind of first year? Ups and downs, flashes of offense but no real numbers to speak of, not very developed defensively and doing some time in the AHL. When playing in Ottawa he got top 4 time.

Not saying Schultz or Klefbom will become Karlsson's obviously but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to throw kids in the mix. Especially not if the other options aren't better.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
we have 5 guys who 'could be a 50 goal scorer' and not one 6'7" horse on the blueline.

when are 'you people' going to figure out that you can't win with 12 quarterbacks and no O-line. we have TOOOOOO MUCH of one kind of player and not enough of every other kind of player needed to win.

and come the draft we will be adding another 'could score 50 goals' 18 year old. like it not, this team will not win before management makes some very big decisions on personnel. Probably, one of Eberle or Yak will be not be part of the team when it is time to win. that decision will hit this management team in the face in about 2 years, when all these flashy kids still can't win.
We should claim Boris Valabik, he's due to be on waivers.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Didn't Karlsson have a similar kind of first year? Ups and downs, flashes of offense but no real numbers to speak of, not very developed defensively and doing some time in the AHL. When playing in Ottawa he got top 4 time.

Not saying Schultz or Klefbom will become Karlsson's obviously but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to throw kids in the mix. Especially not if the other options aren't better.
Wasn't Karlsson like minus a thousand before his breakout year? I think Justin Schultz will be fine, He's just so smart and skilled.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:18 AM
backhandsauce

Sarich. Perfect #6 guy.

Feaster may trade him for a 4th. He has another year which is nice as well.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Sarich. Perfect #6 guy.

Feaster may trade him for a 4th. He has another year which is nice as well.
We have one of those, names Fistric.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:43 AM
bleed_oil

I would love to see the Oiler make a pitch at a local guy like Myers. That said one cannot overstate his value. He is struggling badly on the Sabres. Any of the big 4 for him is stupidity and nothing less.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Justin Schultz tore the hell out of the AHL and 100% for sure should be a top 2 dman, at worst top 4 on this team. Schultz played in college, Klefbom has been playing in the Swedish mens league. Justin Schultz is doing just fine this year other than the inevitable fatigue going from college to AHL to short NHL season. Hell half of Justin Schultz's minuses this year have been because of the horrendous play of his Dmate Nick Schultz.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

As the poster said above, the Oilers do have alot of "quarterback's" and not enough "line-men" but Myers is NOT the guy I'm trading one of my quarterbacks for.

I might consider it for a guy like Gudbranson or OEL but not Myers. Too much of a risk with that contract.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Paralyzer008

Any chance a Ryan Whitney trade is imminent? He's a healthy scratch tonight, which isn't a smart move for a guy whose value fluctuates like his.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Any chance a Ryan Whitney trade is imminent? He's a healthy scratch tonight, which isn't a smart move for a guy whose value fluctuates like his.
I thought his game was starting to come around, it is a little interesting.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Maybe, and I don't disagree, however he did have a tough night Saturday.

Closed Thread