HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will the "Zucc" be back? (3/25: Agrees to terms)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
tjs252

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
This. Do people actually believe Torts will play him?
I agree. I think his presence makes sense. I think his style of play likely hasn't / won't change to the degree Torts wants.

Although, maybe we finally put together three lines that complement each other fairly well:

Hags - Stepan - Gaborik
Zucc - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Miller - Callahan

Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Yet another confirmation of our inept management grasping at straws.

Even George W. Bush only had 8 years, in office.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I fail to see how having Dubi, AA, etc would turn Gabby and Richards around and make them start to produce.

To me it's not about our bottom lines, its about our top performers.
How would the Penguins be if Crosby and Malkin were putting up about half as many points as they have now.

It trickles down through the lineup. Every line gets less effective when your best players suck.
This 1000x. I've seen a lot of posts indicating the opposite. The best players are paid to play the best. Ours (with the exception of Nash early in the year) are worse than the secondary players like Step and Cally. Even Hagelin has regressed from the beginning of the year.

But lets blame Bickel, Halpern and Powe because the Rangers are in this situation.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
That 3rd line is not Torts kind of line. No JAM
It could very well be.
Jt Miller centering Aron and Mats...Voila JAM

To be serious : Is #36 free? I thought another player had that number this year, but can't find his name?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:29 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Ready?

Kreider - Richards - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Zuccarello - Miller - Gaborik
Asham - Newbury - Powe

That is what I want.

Huge problem though (for Torts, at least), no Boyle. I think Newbury, after last night at least, played himself into the lineup for the forseeable future. If he plays himself out though, which he very well may, Boyle can slot right in there.

Another thing is that Zucc's is better on the RW. But I'd rather have Gaborik there over him if that's what it came down to. That third line could be an issue defensively as well. Torts might not feel comfortable running that. We all know that Kreider won't last on that top line though, and can become interchangeable with Gaborik. Kreider's defensive game was absolutely on fire last night.

So, line 1 and 3 could become: Gaborik - Richie - Nash ; Kreider - Miller - Zuccarello. Interchangeable in my book.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
This 1000x. I've seen a lot of posts indicating the opposite. The best players are paid to play the best. Ours (with the exception of Nash early in the year) are worse than the secondary players like Step and Cally. Even Hagelin has regressed from the beginning of the year.

But lets blame Bickel, Halpern and Powe because the Rangers are in this situation.
Ok, but what if both the top performers AND bottom 6 suck? Cuz that's what we have, right now.

All I care about now is seeing the Kreider Miller Callahan line back.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Riverdale

Quote:

In the playoffs you need a 3rd line that can help out. The rangers barelyhave one; thats a problem. No-one is saying the top lines don't need to be consistant. If they were playing better we'd STILL NEED A GOOD 3rd line. Just like last year. Why is it always one or the other? If someone says they want the bottom 6 improved that means they don't want the top lines to produce more ? No. It means the bottom 6 just sucks.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
It could very well be.
Jt Miller centering Aron and Mats...Voila JAM

To be serious : Is #36 free? I thought another player had that number this year, but can't find his name?
Benn Ferriero?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Is #36 free? I thought another player had that number this year, but can't find his name?
And why not? Hamrlik took Mashinter's number

Old
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star

The problem is that MZA is a second liner ... but in a slightly less skilled league. He just doesn't fit.

I think it's disheartening that our options are so limited. Are they really? Can't we turn Boyle and a pick into a decent third liner? Or Pyatt and a pick? I don't get what's so complicated and bringing MZA here just smacks of wasting time that could be better spent working on a trade to address this team's actual needs.

I'd seriously look into what it takes to get Anisimov back.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:37 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
In the playoffs you need a 3rd line that can help out. The rangers barelyhave one; thats a problem. No-one is saying the top lines don't need to be consistant. If they were playing better we'd STILL NEED A GOOD 3rd line. Just like last year. Why is it always one or the other? If someone says they want the bottom 6 improved that means they don't want the top lines to produce more ? No. It means the bottom 6 just sucks.
You can pick one:

Gaborik and Richards perform

OR

We have a 3rd line center

Obviously both are concerns, but his point was that so many people are focusing on the bottom-six as if that the main problem. If you improve the bottom-six we're probably holding a few more wins. If you get the Gaborik and Richards of last year we're probably giving Pittsburgh a run for their money.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
The problem is that MZA is a second liner ... but in a slightly less skilled league. He just doesn't fit.

I think it's disheartening that our options are so limited. Are they really? Can't we turn Boyle and a pick into a decent third liner? Or Pyatt and a pick? I don't get what's so complicated and bringing MZA here just smacks of wasting time that could be better spent working on a trade to address this team's actual needs.

I'd seriously look into what it takes to get Anisimov back.
Need to trade for a 3C. I'd gladly trade boyle or pyatt

Old
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Placid

Quote:
This 1000x. I've seen a lot of posts indicating the opposite. The best players are paid to play the best.
That is of course true. But when the stars slump/have an off day (off month in this case...lol), etc, teams generally relies on secondary scoring while battling through the "slump". But the Rangers have..well.. very little to offer in terms of secondary scoring, so if the scoring line(s) fails, then thats that most of the time.

While Zucc is far from a "savior" or "radical gamechanger", if he can inject a little offense into that side of the Rangers game, it could do a world of good for the team in general.

Might be a big "if", but i have faith in the Hobbit

Old
03-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
You can pick one:

Gaborik and Richards perform

OR

We have a 3rd line center

Obviously both are concerns, but his point was that so many people are focusing on the bottom-six as if that the main problem. If you improve the bottom-six we're probably holding a few more wins. If you get the Gaborik and Richards of last year we're probably giving Pittsburgh a run for their money.
Getting OT but; what would you suggest to do to actually get gabby/richards back on their game? Or would you trade Gaborik?

Regarding zucc; its a low risk move that can help. Why not take it

Old
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 512
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 26m
#NYR Zuke under contract to KHL club thru April 30. Has to be given release. Deal with NYR must be finalized b4 Apr 3 to play in playoffs
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Old
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
They barely have a 1st line with Gabby, Richards and Nash. These guys get around 20 minutes of TOI compared to a 3rd line that gets ~10-14. So, the best guys on the team that play the most (including PP) get a pass but third liners are the reason for this team not scoring goals? Start at the top and work your way down.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Ok, but what if both the top performers AND bottom 6 suck? Cuz that's what we have, right now.

All I care about now is seeing the Kreider Miller Callahan line back.
The addition of Kreider and possibly Zucc will add to the depth of this team, no doubt. However, if guys like Richards and Gabby don't start playing much better, this team won't make the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
16 To Stanley*

Bringing back Zucc just makes me think this team is lost and confused even more than my initial feeling.

Happy to see him back, because it can't get any worse, but this move reeks of desperation.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Bringing back Zucc just makes me think this team is lost and confused even more than my initial feeling.

Happy to see him back, because it can't get any worse, but this move reeks of desperation.
Should they not be desperate? They are #8 in the East and not playing consistently well....

Old
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placid View Post
That is of course true. But when the stars slump/have an off day (off month in this case...lol), etc, teams generally relies on secondary scoring while battling through the "slump". But the Rangers have..well.. very little to offer in terms of secondary scoring, so if the scoring line(s) fails, then thats that most of the time.

While Zucc is far from a "savior" or "radical gamechanger", if he can inject a little offense into that side of the Rangers game, it could do a world of good for the team in general.

Might be a big "if", but i have faith in the Hobbit
I agree, you always need addtional scoring. The fourth line scored the only even strength goal for the Rangers last night and this team still lost.

You need scoring from the majority of players even the D and that is an area where they are hurt by the loss of Staal. His offensive game was blossoming right before he got hurt. Also, Girardi needs to be more involved.

I like Zucc and he will help, a little (no pun intended), but he won't be a savior.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Stepanformayor*

If you guys think that Zucc is the answer to our problem your nuts!! He will not play in our top six, and he can't play in his own end. We do not need another 175 pounder on our third line. Newbury should be on this third line before Miller so I can't wait for all the pissing and moaning on this board when Miller is in the press box!! Torts will not have Zucc and Miller on the third line so one of them will get forth line minutes.

The upgrade needs to come in the form of a top six right winger that can play on Steps line. I do not care who the Rangers pick up, if Gabby and Richards don't get going it does not matter what Torts or Slats do! Trade Gabby right now and get a legit top six forward and buy out Richards in the off season and give that money to the three guys that have carried this team in the off season. Stepan, and Mac would be fools to sign here for the chump change that Slats is going to offer them. They will get it elsewhere, and don't think that another GM does not see that!! ZUCC IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!!

Last edited by Stepanformayor*: 03-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Should they not be desperate? They are #8 in the East and not playing consistently well....
They should be. But Zucc, a guy we all know Torts doesn't like. I mean it just shows how much of a mess the team and management is in right now.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Stepanformayor*

Great post 16 to Stanley!!

Old
03-25-2013, 10:59 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
They should be. But Zucc, a guy we all know Torts doesn't like. I mean it just shows how much of a mess the team and management is in right now.
How do we know he "doesn't like" him? He was getting solid minutes until he broke his hand. Nothing Torts could do about that. Then the Rangers offered him a contract but he chose to go to the KHL instead. If he plays like he did in the Spring last season then he'll find minutes.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
thewaitingisover

Quote:
Sounds about right. This is about the equivalent of the Yankees signing Vernon Wells.

Closed Thread