HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we re-sign G Joacim Eriksson?

Old
03-24-2013, 01:47 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
i've been pro signing eriksson for a while now. pretty sure there's a reason he hasn't come over to NA just yet though (doesn't want to, wants guaranteed NHL spot/to be a starter etc).

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Agreed completely. He's younger than any of the other goalies on the market, and he's FREE.

I've said it a lot, but taking Hovinen over him was a mistake...

Though the idea of him wanting NHL immediately seems like a plausible theory.
If there's any team that might as well throw him right in the NHL, it's the Flyers. It's not like there's any other prospects in the system close to making an impact or taking the backup role.

I would like him to get NA experience in the AHL first, but at this point beggars can't be choosers. Doesn't he have more overall experience at this point than Bob did, as well?

03-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Ryker

If it was up to me, I'd definitely re-sign him and put him straight into the NHL. I'm feeling adventurous today, so I'm gonna go out there and say that I wouldn't even wince if we gambled, bought out Bryz and relied on Sunshine as our starter. I think he'd do just fine. But I think this is just wishful thinking, and we're never going to see him on our team.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I do not understand it. The guys all that and just sitting there for anyone to steal him and no takers. Or am I wrong?

Thanks

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:42 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
If it was up to me, I'd definitely re-sign him and put him straight into the NHL. I'm feeling adventurous today, so I'm gonna go out there and say that I wouldn't even wince if we gambled, bought out Bryz and relied on Sunshine as our starter. I think he'd do just fine. But I think this is just wishful thinking, and we're never going to see him on our team.
This. Times 10.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:45 PM
CyborgLindros

I'll believe it when I see it. If he wanted to be in NA he would be here.

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:47 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Believe what?

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:50 PM
CyborgLindros

Sunshine in the NHL.

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Haha, you're feeling a lot more adventurous than me. We have one more year of buyout; I'd do what we can to get Eriksson over here as Bryz's backup and let them play as a tandem first.

Though at this point, what's the damned difference? This team and goaltenders is approaching the level of the Redskins with QBs. They might already be there.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:41 AM
RussianRocket10

I thought this was a new idea. Took me a few seconds to realize that it was from May of last year. I'm sure he couldn't be any worse than Leighton or Boucher.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:12 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
They should sign David Rautio and make him the NHL backup! His stats are very similar in the same league and no one has offered him a contract either!

He plays for Lulea HF. I saw a clip of him one time. So good. Sign him now.

EDIT: Oh man, Alexander Salak is available too! Sure he was released by a couple teams in North America, BUT LOOK AT HIS STATS IN SWEDEN!!! 25-15, 1.61 GAA, .939 SV%! Gustaf Wesslau is another one! 29-13, 2.00 GAA, .927 SV%! Why aren't we talking about these guys!?!?!?!?

Last edited by DrinkFightFlyers: 03-25-2013 at 07:10 AM.
DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:19 AM
SwedeInOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
They should sign David Rautio and make him the NHL backup! His stats are very similar in the same league and no one has offered him a contract either!

He plays for Lulea HF. I saw a clip of him one time. So good. Sign him now.

EDIT: Oh man, Alexander Salak is available too! Sure he was released by a couple teams in North America, BUT LOOK AT HIS STATS IN SWEDEN!!! 25-15, 1.61 GAA, .939 SV%! Gustaf Wesslau is another one! 29-13, 2.00 GAA, .927 SV%! Why aren't we talking about these guys!?!?!?!?
I follow Färjestad where Salak is playing and have seen most of the games, he had the best SV% during the season of all goalies, and have been very consistent and good. Really comes along with their goaliecoach Erik Granqvist who previously worked with Jonas Gustavson "the monster". Wesslau looked pretty good during the season but in the playoffs he was shaky and let in some bad goals and his team is now eliminated

SwedeInOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeInOrange View Post
I follow Färjestad where Salak is playing and have seen most of the games, he had the best SV% during the season of all goalies, and have been very consistent and good. Really comes along with their goaliecoach Erik Granqvist who previously worked with Jonas Gustavson "the monster". Wesslau looked pretty good during the season but in the playoffs he was shaky and let in some bad goals and his team is now eliminated
He was being sarcastic. For some reason people can't want the flyers to try these guys or give them a contract. We've gone through this before and he's claimed he doesn't have a problem with people wanting to sign eriksson. Instead he claims to take issue with the fact that some flyers fans call it a mistake that he (Eriksson) was never signed. One person is this thread made such a statement, the rest would just like to see something a contract offered. yet here he is like clockwork with his "I've seen him on YouTube" comments.

Some people would like to see him offered a contract and you don't agree, get over it. You can't stop people from commenting and no one can stop you but your derogatory comments are not appreciated.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:52 AM
SwedeInOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
He was being sarcastic. For some reason people can't want the flyers to try these guys or give them a contract. We've gone through this before and he's claimed he doesn't have a problem with people wanting to sign eriksson. Instead he claims to take issue with the fact that some flyers fans call it a mistake that he (Eriksson) was never signed. One person is this thread made such a statement, the rest would just like to see something a contract offered. yet here he is like clockwork with his "I've seen him on YouTube" comments.

Some people would like to see him offered a contract and you don't agree, get over it. You can't stop people from commenting and no one can stop you but your derogatory comments are not appreciated.
haha ofcourse I could se he was being sarcastic with his comment, I just mentioned some small stuff from what I´ve been seing here in Sweden.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

I wouldn't be opposed to offering him a contract like you said. I just find it curious why everyone seems to be so fixated on him when there are goalies in the same league with similar stats that are not getting the same attention. If you want Eriksson to get a shot fine, I wouldn't have a problem with it (I don't know if I would pencil him in for the NHL without seeing him play over here first).

I just figure if we are talking about signing a guy from Sweden, why not look at all four of these guys (Rautio, Salak, Eriksson, or Wesslau)? This is why I figure the only reason people are interested in him is because they have heard his name before or they want to say "I told you so" about Homer. These guys are all on the same level and in roughly the same age range (22-28). If you want Eriksson, you should want the other three as well. If you don't, there is something else at play (see above).

Old
03-25-2013, 09:48 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to offering him a contract like you said. I just find it curious why everyone seems to be so fixated on him when there are goalies in the same league with similar stats that are not getting the same attention. If you want Eriksson to get a shot fine, I wouldn't have a problem with it (I don't know if I would pencil him in for the NHL without seeing him play over here first).

I just figure if we are talking about signing a guy from Sweden, why not look at all four of these guys (Rautio, Salak, Eriksson, or Wesslau)? This is why I figure the only reason people are interested in him is because they have heard his name before or they want to say "I told you so" about Homer. These guys are all on the same level and in roughly the same age range (22-28). If you want Eriksson, you should want the other three as well. If you don't, there is something else at play (see above).
I have no problem in trying to get some of those other guys but the younger the better. Eriksson is the youngest (22 turning 23 in a few months) and I wouldn't exactly classify the others (26 yo, 27 and 28) as the same age range especially considering we are talking about goalies here. And while those guys have posted good numbers this year none of them did as well at such a young age as eriksson or are even consistently doing well for that matter.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Haha, you're feeling a lot more adventurous than me. We have one more year of buyout; I'd do what we can to get Eriksson over here as Bryz's backup and let them play as a tandem first.

Though at this point, what's the damned difference? This team and goaltenders is approaching the level of the Redskins with QBs. They might already be there.
Oh, by the way, I'm not saying we should buy Bryz out, but if the scenario I mentioned happened, I don't think we'd be in a bad spot.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I have no problem in trying to get some of those other guys but the younger the better. Eriksson is the youngest (22 turning 23 in a few months) and I wouldn't exactly classify the others (26 yo, 27 and 28) as the same age range especially considering we are talking about goalies here. And while those guys have posted good numbers this year none of them did as well at such a young age as eriksson or are even consistently doing well for that matter.
Meh. The ages are not a big deal to me. Rautio has been up good numbers for the past three years in the same league. So has Salak (hell, Salak put up good numbers in the AHL, more than the other three can say at this point). Wesslau too, though his AHL numbers leave much to be desired.

My point is simply that I really don't think anyone on here has any reason to want Eriksson other than they know his name or they want to be right about Homer being wrong. I am not knocking Eriksson, really. Like I said, if they offer him a contract that is fine by me (though I am not necessarily campaigning for that). I just think that if this guy was drafted by a different team people wouldn't be so infatuated by him. If you ask me, he is on the same level as Salak, Rautio, and Wesslau. I haven't seen any of these guys (including Eriksson) outside of highlight clips and a random international game or here there probably. Just like most of you. All we have are their stats which are all on the same level. Yet Salak, Rautio, and Wesslau's names are not being kicked around. Which brings me back to my point: the only reason people want to sign him so badly is either because they have heard his name before or because they want to be right about Homer being wrong.

If that is not the case, I would like a legitimate explanation as to why the other guys are not being mentioned. The age thing is a pretty weak argument, as these guys are only a couple years older and have been putting up consistently good numbers for years now, but have ever been mentioned in trades or signings.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:55 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Meh. The ages are not a big deal to me. Rautio has been up good numbers for the past three years in the same league. So has Salak (hell, Salak put up good numbers in the AHL, more than the other three can say at this point). Wesslau too, though his AHL numbers leave much to be desired.

My point is simply that I really don't think anyone on here has any reason to want Eriksson other than they know his name or they want to be right about Homer being wrong. I am not knocking Eriksson, really. Like I said, if they offer him a contract that is fine by me (though I am not necessarily campaigning for that). I just think that if this guy was drafted by a different team people wouldn't be so infatuated by him. If you ask me, he is on the same level as Salak, Rautio, and Wesslau. I haven't seen any of these guys (including Eriksson) outside of highlight clips and a random international game or here there probably. Just like most of you. All we have are their stats which are all on the same level. Yet Salak, Rautio, and Wesslau's names are not being kicked around. Which brings me back to my point: the only reason people want to sign him so badly is either because they have heard his name before or because they want to be right about Homer being wrong.

If that is not the case, I would like a legitimate explanation as to why the other guys are not being mentioned. The age thing is a pretty weak argument, as these guys are only a couple years older and have been putting up consistently good numbers for years now, but have ever been mentioned in trades or signings.
I got you, no worries. Here's the thing though. Wesslau and Salak have both tried NA hockey and failed. Rautio and Eriksson though? Never played in NA yet. How don't we know they havent gotten courted though? Like maybe Rautio has gotten alot of attention from teams but didnt want to play in NA. Hell, maybe the same thing with Eriksson. Thats the reason why you dont look at Wesslau and Salak. They both have failed at NA hockey while the other two havent even tried, so we dont know how they will do.

Also Eriksson has gotten attention from the league. The Leafs really wanted him last summer but they didnt get him. Don't know why they didnt? Could he wanted to play in the NHL? Maybe. But it's a fair guess as much as him seeing they have a ton of goalies and didnt like his chances.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I got you, no worries. Here's the thing though. Wesslau and Salak have both tried NA hockey and failed. Rautio and Eriksson though? Never played in NA yet. How don't we know they havent gotten courted though? Like maybe Rautio has gotten alot of attention from teams but didnt want to play in NA. Hell, maybe the same thing with Eriksson. Thats the reason why you dont look at Wesslau and Salak. They both have failed at NA hockey while the other two havent even tried, so we dont know how they will do.
Salak actually put up pretty decentnumbers in his two seasons in the AHL. Didn't light the world on fire but I certainly wouldn't say he failed (rookie season: 29-14, 2.89 GAA, .910 SV%, second year: 6-10, 2.69 GAA, .903 SV%).

Quote:
Also Eriksson has gotten attention from the league. The Leafs really wanted him last summer but they didnt get him. Don't know why they didnt? Could he wanted to play in the NHL? Maybe. But it's a fair guess as much as him seeing they have a ton of goalies and didnt like his chances.
You are absolutely right that it may be the case that these guys don't want to come here, but again, that isn't a reason for people on HF Boards to not want to pursue them. Otherwise, why pursue Eriksson? He might not want to come here.

Which brings me back to my original point. Haha.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Salak actually put up pretty decentnumbers in his two seasons in the AHL. Didn't light the world on fire but I certainly wouldn't say he failed (rookie season: 29-14, 2.89 GAA, .910 SV%, second year: 6-10, 2.69 GAA, .903 SV%).

You are absolutely right that it may be the case that these guys don't want to come here, but again, that isn't a reason for people on HF Boards to not want to pursue them. Otherwise, why pursue Eriksson? He might not want to come here.

Heeter is putting up similar numbers in the ahl as Salak did and is currently younger. No reason for the flyers to consider him unless something has really changed. And I really don't see how you don't consider age a facter especially when we are talking 3+ years here (not a couple as you stated). And that's Salak who is the closest in age of the bunch to Eriksson. Wesslau started putting up decent numbers at 26 before that he was mediocre. Same can be said for Rautio (mediocre before age 25).

If choosing between them I think I'll choose the one who put up the best average numbers over the last couple years and did so starting from the age of 20 compared to mid 20's for the others. I mean doesn't it mean more when a 2nd year junior tears up a league compared to a vet/overager? Goalies, like d-men, are notorious for taking a while to mature and perfect their game so why not take the guy who's significantly younger. 5+ years is a long time (talking about Wesslau and Rautio as I already stated why i wouldnt be interested in Salak).

Salak also stated last year that he didn't want to be in the AHL and with those AHL numbers he's def not an NHL goalie, again unless something has changed from last year.

You can call 5 years age difference in goalies insignificant if you want but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
SwedeInOrange

Salak this year feels more comfortable in net and is better positioned, he feels very calm. During the season khl offered to buy him out, so unless he gets any other offers I think he ends up in Russia next season unfortunately for Färjestad.

Between Eriksson and Wesslau I´d take Eriksson all the way

Old
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I really see no reason not to sign this guy. I'd take a gamble on a young European goalie with potential on a short-term contract

Tell Eriksson we'll give him a 1-way NHL deal worth $1m and that a spot on the NHL roster is his to lose. Basically the same thing ANA did with Fasth, and look how that turned our for them. If he doesn't work out at first, send him to the minors so he can work on his game in NA, and get a back-up goalie from someone. If he doesn't want to go to the minors, then we terminate his contract and he goes back home

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

i think people are tired of seeing AHL vets in goal down in ADK instead of you know a prospect. Leighton, Boucher and Monroe all have played down there
Im sure some have hopes for Heeter. I really cant comment on the guy as I havent seen him play.
As far as Sunshine goes? I cant see him coming here. The Flyers already have shown how they feel about him whether it was the right or wrong decision. If he comes back to NA its likely with another organization.
There is Stolarz and by all accounts he looks like a top goalie prospect. Lets just all hope they handle him right and let him develop. No need to rush him even tho the temptation is there with our current situation in goal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Heeter is putting up similar numbers in the ahl as Salak did and is currently younger. No reason for the flyers to consider him unless something has really changed. And I really don't see how you don't consider age a facter especially when we are talking 3+ years here (not a couple as you stated). And that's Salak who is the closest in age of the bunch to Eriksson. Wesslau started putting up decent numbers at 26 before that he was mediocre. Same can be said for Rautio (mediocre before age 25).

If choosing between them I think I'll choose the one who put up the best average numbers over the last couple years and did so starting from the age of 20 compared to mid 20's for the others. I mean doesn't it mean more when a 2nd year junior tears up a league compared to a vet/overager? Goalies, like d-men, are notorious for taking a while to mature and perfect their game so why not take the guy who's significantly younger. 5+ years is a long time (talking about Wesslau and Rautio as I already stated why i wouldnt be interested in Salak).

Salak also stated last year that he didn't want to be in the AHL and with those AHL numbers he's def not an NHL goalie, again unless something has changed from last year.

You can call 5 years age difference in goalies insignificant if you want but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I think you may be misunderstanding my point. I am not saying I'd RATHER have these other guys, I'm just saying that if we are looking at SEL goalies to sign, they should be in the conversation too. There is no reason to look at Eriksson's stats and say he would be a good backup, look at the stats of the three other guys in the same league that are in the same ballpark (if not identical or better) and say they are not worth it. It seems odd that taking a risk on a 22-23 year old goalie is a good idea, but taking a risk on a 26-27 year old goalie with similar stats is a bad idea. As I said earlier, that argument seems like a thinly veiled attempt to justify the interest in Eriksson without falling into the category of people I was referring to in my original point.