HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
N4Z3M LUPUL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
Do you guys think we should still move kessel? I remember before the season everyone was talking about how kessel is a perfect #2 option on a contender and with the emergence of the king, is this the perfect situation for phil? I personally never wanted to trade him but I think giving kadri/lupul the leadership roll would really help phil succeed as the perfect #2 scoring threat (like gaborik in NY?)
i say we keep him, hes turning into an all around player, i like having 2 lines with big scoring threats rather then just one

Old
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

What is the Consence of Signing Mike Smith in the off season ? Great Ontario boy and a leader in the club house?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

No interest in a PHX goalie. Im of the mind its the system that makes the goalies look great.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
What is the Consence of Signing Mike Smith in the off season ? Great Ontario boy and a leader in the club house?
I'd love to get M. Smith or Backstrom this offseason. Backstrom could play the role of aging veteran starter, able to play ~40-55 games, leaving Reimer with a reasonable workload.

While Smith could take the role of longterm starter, obviously would be a great addition. My only concern is that Phoenix could be heavily inflating his stats (see Bryzgalov). I haven't seen enough of his play to be convinced that he actually is really good and turned his career around, and that it's not just a product of Tippet + Phoenix. I'd have to hear more about him from Western Conference fans.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Beastly Bozak

I feel like when we get back to our D system we had earlier in the season, Reimer will start to look like a stud again. No need for smith

Old
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

it Could be the Coyote system or it could be he has turned his career around. Mister Universe signed with the Flyers a team that has been the streakiest the past 5 years ...

Old
03-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
I feel like when we get back to our D system we had earlier in the season, Reimer will start to look like a stud again. No need for smith
Reimer has proven he is a back up goalie at the NHL level , he has had the reigns to do what ever he wants this season and has not proven anything ... we Need a veteran

Old
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

All you have to do is watch Mike Smith play, to know he's a good goaltender. Every goalie in Phoenix history will be labelled as questionable, all because an already inconsistant Bryzgalov.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
pspot

Quote:
Do you guys think we should still move kessel? I remember before the season everyone was talking about how kessel is a perfect #2 option on a contender and with the emergence of the king, is this the perfect situation for phil? I personally never wanted to trade him but I think giving kadri/lupul the leadership roll would really help phil succeed as the perfect #2 scoring threat (like gaborik in NY?)
comes down to how much he wants to get paid, if its like Gaborik in both salary and contributions then yes I would still trade him

Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No interest in a PHX goalie. Im of the mind its the system that makes the goalies look great.

I'm interested in Mike Smith BUT I've questioned this myself.

There is obviously absolutely no way of knowing until you see Mike Smith on another team.

Depending on price/term, it could be a good "risk" worth taking.

Now the question becomes... what is he likely to get on the open market?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I'd love to get M. Smith or Backstrom this offseason. Backstrom could play the role of aging veteran starter, able to play ~40-55 games, leaving Reimer with a reasonable workload.

While Smith could take the role of longterm starter, obviously would be a great addition. My only concern is that Phoenix could be heavily inflating his stats (see Bryzgalov). I haven't seen enough of his play to be convinced that he actually is really good and turned his career around, and that it's not just a product of Tippet + Phoenix. I'd have to hear more about him from Western Conference fans.
I didn't see much of the Coyotes in the regular season, so his stats could've been inflated, but Smith definitely stood on his head many nights in the playoffs last year.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
I'm interested in Mike Smith BUT I've questioned this myself.

There is obviously absolutely no way of knowing until you see Mike Smith on another team.

Depending on price/term, it could be a good "risk" worth taking.

Now the question becomes... what is he likely to get on the open market?
There was a rumor a few weeks ago that he was looking for $6'000'000 million a year but that was before now. I would think anywhere between $4'000'000-$5'000'000 a year would be more like it on a 5 year deal

Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Reimer has proven he is a back up goalie at the NHL level , he has had the reigns to do what ever he wants this season and has not proven anything ... we Need a veteran
Mike Smith didnt hit his stride until he was 29. he was not a good goalie until that point. Why are you willing to throw Reimer under the bus at age 25?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Mike Smith didnt hit his stride until he was 29. he was not a good goalie until that point. Why are you willing to throw Reimer under the bus at age 25?
Because we do not have time to wait for him, in the next 2 season will become very important in seeing if we are a play off team every year or still trying to figure it out

Old
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Because we do not have time to wait for him, in the next 2 season will become very important in seeing if we are a play off team every year or still trying to figure it out
The patience in Leaf fans is horrifiying

Old
03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Really ? He has had 3 season to figure it out? we will not have Kessel and Phaneuf in there primes for to much longer

Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Usually I'd agree, but in this case, four years is a pretty long time to wait for a goalie to hopefully become consistent.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Usually I'd agree, but in this case, four years is a pretty long time to wait for a goalie to hopefully become consistent.
Agreed if we wait 4 years for him to figure it out this team will never trully take the next step

Old
03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Really ? He has had 3 season to figure it out? we will not have Kessel and Phaneuf in there primes for to much longer
3 seasons?

He's played 90 career games and suffered pretty much an entire season of injury. He's still quite young and has played very well. I'll admit he needs to work on consistency, but that's part of developing a goaltender. We need a vet presence in here to help keep him on track.

The fact that you say we don't have time to wait just shows how little patience a chunk of the fanbase here has.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
4 years?

he was called up about 2 years ago exactly for his first substantial look

he played well down the stretch in early 2011. In 11-12 he was given a concussion then returned when the 18 wheeler was teetering on the edge.

This year he starts great and gets a knee injury. His record is still 11-4-3. Thats still pretty damn good.

EDIT - Reimer was called up in January 2011. Apparently 26 months is now 4 years.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
4 years?

The timescale in this thread has been completely warped.

-He came in with a stellar rookie season and played 37games.
-He then got hurt a few games into his sophomore year and played 34 games, never really getting back to form.
-He's now 19 games into this season and playing very well.

I have no idea where 3 and 4 years are coming from.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Quote:
3 seasons?

He's played 90 career games and suffered pretty much an entire season of injury. He's still quite young and has played very well. I'll admit he needs to work on consistency, but that's part of developing a goaltender. We need a vet presence in here to help keep him on track.

The fact that you say we don't have time to wait just shows how little patience a chunk of the fanbase here has.
Are you willing to wait 2 more season oh him and the team figuring it out ?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:12 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Are you willing to wait 2 more season oh him and the team figuring it out ?
I'm not going to be happy if 2 years from now (age 27) Reimer isn't an NHL starter, no.

But proper prospect development tells me we should be giving him more time to figure it out as he's still only played 90 games and gone through considerable difficulties with management and injuries.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Further to the point on Mike Smith/James Reimer ~ Tampa let Smith go just as he was on the cusp of becoming a good starter. Now look at them, stuck with an absolutely horrendous goalie situation.

Cautionary tale?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
frankthetank91

I would LOVE Mike Smith. Although he is helped by PHX system he HAS to be better than Scrivens. Nice vet backup that we can roll a 1A/1B with him and Reimer.

Closed Thread