HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical??

Old
03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Simple: The more fans there are, the more over-dramatic, emotional fans you have. I don't think the ratio is any worst than any other team.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out East View Post
No disrespect but that is fantasy land talk. Do you perform at your maximum all the time? There are people not robots or super heroes.
Have you ever played on a very good hockey or baseball team? I have, and the poster is exactly right.

At one point the Habs will switch from apologizing for wins, and being surprised by them, to expecting them, and being pissed off when they lose. That is what good teams do, and the team is not there yet, I can tell. Team confidence is real, and it is very powerful.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Have you ever played on a very good hockey or baseball team? I have, and the poster is exactly right.

At one point the Habs will switch from apologizing for wins, and being surprised by them, to expecting them, and being pissed off when they lose. That is what good teams do, and the team is not there yet, I can tell. Team confidence is real, and it is very powerful.
Here it is... We get the usual HF bullcrap about how good X poster was in the moustique C when he was 10(Overaged)

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
People talking about hockey is like people talking about anything else. It's driven by the media and they trust what they hear/see. Rene Descartes would be proud.
Too bad they do not use their own eyes and understanding of the principles of team sports to form the opinions they are so willing to share.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
bsl

Quote:
Because they're all bandwagoneers.
I'll watch the Habs, every day, till my dying breath, win or lose.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I'll watch the Habs, every day, till my dying breath, win or lose.
I was referring to the Bell center being dead.

Most people who know hockey watch it on TV. Most people who have ****loads of money go to the games.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Pierre Boivin made sure the Bell Centre was packed night in and night out. The downside of it is, most of this crowd is a bunch of puck ****** and d-bags who go to the Bell Centre for the very purpose of taking themselves in picture in the stands to then put it on their facebook wall. Went to the Red vs White game in the training camp, there were idiots dancing left and right. When I went to the Winnipeg game, most of the public in the reds was texting and doing stuff on their cellphones instead of actually watching the game.

Even last year, when things were going bad, I kept rocking my Markov/Cole t-shirts, because I'm a real fan. I rocked my Prust t-shirt all summer/fall long. Back in 2008, you could see Kostitsyn/Price/Kovalev/Higgins/Komisarek jerseys EVERYWHERE. Last year, I don't think I saw any in the city. This year, those idiots start wearing them again and posting facebook statuses about the Habs, since they're doing well.

For all the bragging we do about our full rinks, our crowd is one of the most clueless around. Going to games as if it was a club. Then they think they're jetset. Ridiculous.
And yet, you still wear jerseys. At the Forum, in the Reds, you wore a suit jacket. And your wife wore fur. The degradation is complete.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Cause us Fans buy the tickets to the games ?

That is like saying that because you buy a ticket at a movie theater, you have the right to talk on your cell phone the entire time, or yell "Fire".

Your freedom ends where it infringes on the lives of others.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:12 AM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
And yet, you still wear jerseys. At the Forum, in the Reds, you wore a suit jacket. And your wife wore fur. The degradation is complete.
Thing is, fans at the Bell Centre for the most part are not real ones. They'll tune it off if the team is losing, they'll stop following it when it's not winning, and they'll be coming back once they start being competitive again. Then, they can take pics of themselves at the Bell and text all game long for the sole purpose of looking "jetset". It's pathetic. You see puck ****** dancing and people texting. It's as if you were in a huge night club. It's sad. Each time I get there I feel the urge to beat the hell out of one of those who keep talking to their phone, or one of these idiotic girls who come to the game with an inch of makeup in their face and who'll look you like if you're a retard when you react to a play.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
bsl

Quote:
Here it is... We get the usual HF bullcrap about how good X poster was in the moustique C when he was 10(Overaged)
Oh please. I never said I was an NHL or MLB player. What a crap, obvious hateful reply.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Oh please. I never said I was an NHL or MLB player. What a crap, obvious hateful reply.
Not hateful at all. Just the usual funny comments.

Don't take it this way. I don't think you saying this means your post has more credibility.
I don't see the use of it and it's funny.
For all we know you might be a chinese woman who doesnt even know what hockey is outside of the wikipedia page she read

Old
03-25-2013, 11:43 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Cause us Fans buy the tickets to the games ?
Tony, how ya been?
Still blocking people on twitter?

Anyway back to your answer to the question at hand.

Quite the shallow response don't you think?

A large percentage of the fanbase does not buy tickets neither can they afford to. Does that give them the right to kvetch as they say?

If you counter with merchandising you may have a point, but there's a pile of people on your block list that likely own a team990 or team690 piece of merchandise.

So, that being said, care to expand on your statement so we can better understand where you're coming from?

thx much

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:44 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
You know what? Who the **** are you to tell me how to be a fan of the Montreal Canadiens?

And our fans are our worst enemy? I disagree. I attended at least 40 games at the Forum in the seventies and eighties, and we had the warmest, most knowledgeable and classiest fans in all of sports. We were a huge support to the team, and the forum was famous for its silent, intense, knowledgeable watching, and then sudden, very, very loud, massive ovations for good plays and goals. It used to scare our opponents.

Habs fans are their worst enemy? You could not be more wrong, and it is hugely insulting to long time fans of this team, french, english, or other, to say so.

Again. who the **** are you? Who do you think you are? Are you like 20 years old? Get back in your box, please. Show some respect for posters here and fans of this team.
sorry bsl; i did not intend to get your knickers in a knot. i asked a simple question predicated on something i have observed and I never said YOU PERSONALLY were responsible for what i see. there were very intelligent answers put forth on why others felt the same way i.e. history, passion, etc. who am i? you can say 20, add +31. i never had the privilege of going to the forum because i was a single dad of 4 kids here in jersey and raising them cost more then i could afford. i also am a manager in one of the worlds largest and best corporations [FEDEX] and if my #'s are correct i am 1 out of 25 employees to make the grade to step up into management. so just because i said something you may disagree with does not make me a 20 year old. if you take the time to read my thread on how i became a HABSFAN maybe you would realize how deep my passion for this team goes. [http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?t=1380979] i used to spend alot of time on the other forum with other HABSFANS but technological issue made it a hassle on the site so i started looking for another site to keep up with MY TEAM and here i am. its funny but you answered my thought originally and even posted a few times on this thread before you turned around and took shots at me. i also thought your original post of why people were critical had a great thought but then this rant that you gave was incredibly strange. sorry my HABS friend.

Last edited by BRAD HABSFAN: 03-25-2013 at 10:16 PM.
BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:46 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
12 cups in the first 30 years of my life, and none the next 20?

And no, i don't expect a cup every 3 years, but one every 10 would be ok. Face it, the habs have sucked for way too long and deserve criticisms, and older fans can be expected not to get their hopes up.

I love this year's team, (i love every habs team) but what's wrong with pointing out a few flaws when it comes to our ability to win a cup? After all, having seen them live winning about 8 of them, i can judge what it takes.

And it's not just cups. It's being a very good club over long periods, in contention talk year after year. We just have not been in that group since 1994. Inexcusable.
here is your orginal reply that i was actually going to respond to. I felt you hit the nail on the head here. Thank you

Old
03-25-2013, 10:19 PM
StellerEller
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 100
I have no problem with fans who demand we contend. This should be the goal every year: Either contend or building towards contention. As for fans who are older and have seen several cups, I would like to think that no one expects a dynasty EVER again. That's just common sense. High expectations to me are alright in Montreal, as long as they peak at contention and consistent playoff berths. There is too much parity to expect anything more.

Where I find the problem with today's fanbase is two-fold:
1)Fairweather, Uninformed fans
These are the people you guys are talking about filling up the BC and only cheering when we score. It's frankly disgusting to me that these people could sit in the reds and not be into the game.

2)Entitled, Spoiled fans
These people simply expect a cup every year and will crap on any skater who doesn't score every night, or a goalie who doesn't get a shutout every night. I think the problem is that while we have our fair share of obnoxious, arrogant fans, we have so many more fans than other teams, which increases the amount. I understand that every fan won't be the most knowledgeable or the most die-hard, but unfortunately these people are the first to criticize and the first to jump of the wagon after a loss.

*These groups aren't mutually exclusive

I 100% believe Bergevin has us on the right track towards contention, due to his emphasis on drafting and his emphasis on not selling the future. We already have a very solid roster, and the advantage there is that any of our new draft picks do not need to worry too much about being "the man" right away. We've seen it with Galch and Gally. Imagine how much pressure they'd be under in the Gainey era? MB and MT have righted this ship and are allowing our young guys to develop at the right pace. They are tempering expectations and they are managing the cap very well IMO. There is of course a long way to go to truly see the effect of this new era, but I think it's safe to say that at the very least we are not mortgaging our future, so even if MB turns out to be pretty quiet and average trade wise, his decision to allow TT to do his thing and his emphasis on development will result in success.

As far as the post 1993 era: it sucked. There were some pretty heavy lows and at least Gainey gave us 2008. He improved the team significantly but should've been "promoted" while he was ahead. But all of that is over now. The gong-show is over, the 'cancers' in the room are over, the size issue is eroding more and more, and we have some elite talent on our roster (Price, Subban). We may never change the fan culture in Montreal or they way it is depicted, but the most we can do is represent the CH with intelligence, humility, and class. For those of us who know what the CH means and represents, let's enjoy the coming era of success and try our best to have our good attitudes and expectations rub off on the uglier parts of the fanbase.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellereller View Post
i have no problem with fans who demand we contend. This should be the goal every year: Either contend or building towards contention. As for fans who are older and have seen several cups, i would like to think that no one expects a dynasty ever again. That's just common sense. High expectations to me are alright in montreal, as long as they peak at contention and consistent playoff berths. There is too much parity to expect anything more.

Where i find the problem with today's fanbase is two-fold:
1)fairweather, uninformed fans
these are the people you guys are talking about filling up the bc and only cheering when we score. It's frankly disgusting to me that these people could sit in the reds and not be into the game.

2)entitled, spoiled fans
these people simply expect a cup every year and will crap on any skater who doesn't score every night, or a goalie who doesn't get a shutout every night. I think the problem is that while we have our fair share of obnoxious, arrogant fans, we have so many more fans than other teams, which increases the amount. I understand that every fan won't be the most knowledgeable or the most die-hard, but unfortunately these people are the first to criticize and the first to jump of the wagon after a loss.

*these groups aren't mutually exclusive

i 100% believe bergevin has us on the right track towards contention, due to his emphasis on drafting and his emphasis on not selling the future. We already have a very solid roster, and the advantage there is that any of our new draft picks do not need to worry too much about being "the man" right away. We've seen it with galch and gally. Imagine how much pressure they'd be under in the gainey era? Mb and mt have righted this ship and are allowing our young guys to develop at the right pace. They are tempering expectations and they are managing the cap very well imo. There is of course a long way to go to truly see the effect of this new era, but i think it's safe to say that at the very least we are not mortgaging our future, so even if mb turns out to be pretty quiet and average trade wise, his decision to allow tt to do his thing and his emphasis on development will result in success.

As far as the post 1993 era: It sucked. There were some pretty heavy lows and at least gainey gave us 2008. He improved the team significantly but should've been "promoted" while he was ahead. But all of that is over now. The gong-show is over, the 'cancers' in the room are over, the size issue is eroding more and more, and we have some elite talent on our roster (price, subban). We may never change the fan culture in montreal or they way it is depicted, but the most we can do is represent the ch with intelligence, humility, and class. For those of us who know what the ch means and represents, let's enjoy the coming era of success and try our best to have our good attitudes and expectations rub off on the uglier parts of the fanbase.
great thought!

Old
03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
StellerEller
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
great thought!
Thanks!

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

If we lose the next 2...you'll REALLY see how pessimistic and critical we are...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If we lose the next 2...you'll REALLY see how pessimistic and critical we are...
The media will lead the charge, and the "educated fans" will follow like the proverbial townspeople on a witch hunt. Pitchforks and bold words!

"Burn them at the stake!"

There is no doubt about that. The fans are dying to follow something, and the tv and print guys know what buttons to push.