HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

BUF: Tyler Myers Available?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
A Myers thread turning into a discussion of Stastny's value?

Color me surprised.

I'd imagine that Buffalo would want multiple cost-controlled assets back for Myers. For a team that already has Leino and Vanek, it might be difficult to take on Stastny's contract and fill the other holes in the line-up.

Most Flyers fans will hate my Couturier + Mezsaros for Myers + forward prospect proposal, but I think it makes a lot of sense for both organizations. Mezsaros is under contract one more year at a reasonable price, and could be paired effectively with Sekera. Couturier gives the Sabres a bona fide blue-chip piece to add to their line-up now and going forward, freeing guys like Hodgson and Grigorenko to play a more offensive role.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-25-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Color me surprised.

I'd imagine that Buffalo would want multiple cost-controlled assets back for Myers. For a team that already has Leino and Vanek, it might be difficult to take on Stastny's contract and fill the other holes in the line-up.

Most Flyers fans will hate my Couturier + Mezsaros for Myers + forward prospect proposal, but I think it makes a lot of sense for both organizations. Mezsaros is under contract one more year at a reasonable price, and could be paired effectively with Sekera. Couturier gives the Sabres a bona fide blue-chip piece to add to their line-up now and going forward, freeign guys like Hodgson and Grigorenko to play a more offensive role.
Maybe in the offseason after they know where they're drafting.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Wait till everyone gets out of work later, and this thread really takes off....What will Myers' value be then ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Maybe in the offseason after they know where they're drafting.
Meaning that this isn't a deal that the Flyers do if they have the 1st overall (and pick Seth Jones)? I'd buy that.

But if they are anything other than #1, I think this is a deal worth doing. Obviously MacKinnon and Drouin are potential game-breaks down the middle, but even if the Flyers end up 4-7 or so, there's a decent chance that they end up with a two-way center (Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, etc.), and, of course, they already have Laughton.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Empros*

Steve Mason. Won the calder the year before Myers, lots of potential. #1 goalie for #1 D-man.

Empros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Nope. Not even close. Only way Myers gets moved is if someone pays through the nose for his potential. We're not going to sell him at his lowest for pennies on the dollar. Kid has the ability to dominate games and still has plenty of development time left.
And it looks like he's on track to do the same thing this year as the last 2: start off a mess because he was injured/not in game shape, and end the season as our de facto #1D. Aside from one gross mistake yesterday, he's been

much, much better and steadily improving since Rolston took over.

This year he had an injury playing in Austria that affected his start in both conditioning and health. On top of that he had the pressure of his new contract kicking in this year where with salary plus sign on bonus put him around $10M.

If buffalo trades him it will be based on full potential--not bottom dollar prices.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Worst possible time to trade Myers. At this point, you have to stick with him - he's definitely going to find his game again and improve. I'd like to see what he does next year with either a new coach or at least a full year of Rolston. I think a lot of his trouble stems from poor off-season conditioning.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:04 PM
drew5580

A writer in Edmonton hears from a former coach who shall remain nameless that the Sabres might be listening to offers and that means he's on the trading block?

drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
RomanianLeafs

sabres fans u want picks prospects or roster players ?

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Jbcraig1883

MIN: Scandella + Phillips + Hackett/Kuemper/Gustafsson

Or

Scandella + Hackett/Kuemper/Gustaffson + 2013 1st

Overpaying, underpaying, what?

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Pinkfloyd

What would Buffalo want for the guy? I understand anything less than an overpayment is unacceptable but what particular pieces would you be trying to acquire for him?

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
A writer in Edmonton hears from a former coach who shall remain nameless that the Sabres might be listening to offers and that means he's on the trading block?
We've had speculation threads based on less,

Old
03-25-2013, 12:14 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Phaneuf's regression basically correlates with him taking on greater defensive responsibilities with Regehr. Slot him back to a risk-taking, vanilla-minute-eating, offensive-zone-starting #3, behind an elite goaltender/shutdown pairing and he probably looks a lot better.

Myers came into the league playing top competition, and has regressed in no small part due to the way the organization has fixated on bulking him up, regardless of the effects on his best asset, mobility. He also spent his second season playing about 30 games with a decent partner, playing with scrubs like Shaone Morrison and Chris Butler the other 80.

So yeah, the topical Myers/Phaneuf comparisons are there, but they really just don't have all that much in common when you get down to specifics.
True - but I'm not sure an organization would want to part with top prospects as well as take on that contract - all in hopes Myers recovers his form. To me that's where the similarity with Phaneuf comes in. It's just too much risk. To me the Sabres are likely better off just holding onto him.

If they part with him now they'd be selling low.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
Nailed it.

I'm sure plenty of teams hope Buffalo shops Myers when his value is at an all time low. There's nothing there that says the team actually is considering it.

Bah.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Color me surprised.

Most Flyers fans will hate my Couturier + Mezsaros for Myers + forward prospect proposal, but I think it makes a lot of sense for both organizations. Mezsaros is under contract one more year at a reasonable price, and could be paired effectively with Sekera. Couturier gives the Sabres a bona fide blue-chip piece to add to their line-up now and going forward, freeign guys like Hodgson and Grigorenko to play a more offensive role.
I do kind of hate it. Too early to give up on Couturier.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Nailed it.

I'm sure plenty of teams hope Buffalo shops Myers when his value is at an all time low. There's nothing there that says the team actually is considering it.

Bah.
Yup. To paraphrase a poster on the Sabres board: Trading Myers now would be like selling your Apple shares in 1995.

Almost no d-men are finished products at the age of 23. Chara's resume at that age certainly wasn't as impressive as Myers'. The Sabres organization knows exactly what he's capable of; I doubt they're moving him, and if they do, it certainly won't be for the low-ball offers most people here are throwing around.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Buffalo just gave myers a 10 million signing bonus.

Yes, I'm sure they are eager to trade a 23 year old, 6'8'' d-men who can skate like the wind whom they just paid 1/4 of his 7 year contract up front to for scraps.

Myers value to Buffalo is much greater than any team would be willing to pay at this point. This article is PURE speculation from the Edmonton beat writer.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I do kind of hate it. Too early to give up on Couturier.
I don't see moving a 20 year-old Couturier for a 23 year-old Myers as "giving up" on him.

Old
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

This is the dumbest article I've ever read.

He's untouchable.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leugangen

I'd love him on the Leafs. That potential top pairing RHD for Dion.

Frattin, Percy, 1st?

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I'd imagine the Flyers would push hard. But I have a hard time imagining they would get him withough either B.Schenn or Couts involved.
I understand it would probably have to be Couts tho since we have Luke and Brayden. Like someone else mentioned they should wait until the offseason to see where/who they are drafting. If they end up with a top pick and Jones is available I'd draft him and keep Couts. If Jones is gone I'd be interested in taking one of the high potential centers and trade Couts+ for Myers or someone more proven.

If the Flyers end up with a not so great pick I probably do this in the offseason too.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
I'd love him on the Leafs. That potential top pairing RHD for Dion.

Frattin, Percy, 1st?
I'm sure Regier would be enthralled with the idea of trading him within the division.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'm sure Regier would be enthralled with the idea of trading him within the division.
It'd help you put up points.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Yea, trade Myers while his value is at an all-time low .. to the Maple Leafs while you're at it

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Girgenburger

Would Winnipeg do Byfuglien for Myers?

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote