HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
After Nylander it's very unlikely he'd get a NMC but a NTC and five years? Sure, esp. if it's ~$5M or less. If they need to buy him out in a few years so be it. It's a roll of the dice either way.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Ribeiro gets outscored and outchanced at ES. You don't think they can replace that? (Granted, I don't believe they're a playoff team either way, but for the sake of argument...)

The PP is the big question. I suspect his success (and the luck that's driving it) is more structural than anything..
wow...talk about not giving the guy any credit at all. he's not that good at even strenth and his pp success is oates...to coin a phrase...any monkey could do it.

not hard to replace? be careful what you wish for.

so....got some names of available guys would could jump into the caps lineup and then the top 10 in scoring in the league?

please dont say stephen weiss or ollie jokinen

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Carlzner

Seriously, long term re-signing Ribs just isn't the right move.

This team is, for the most part, crap. And having Ribeiro certainly hasn't changed that.

We're going to move into a much much tougher division starting next year, and i seriously doubt we have a chance at doing anything for at least a season or two with this team. Might as well start building towards actually having a team, instead of wasting half of the big contract Ribs wants.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

you think Briere is that much better then Ribeiro?

he said he wont take 2 years and wanted 4-6 for his next contract

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
you think Briere is that much better then Ribeiro?

he said he wont take 2 years and wanted 4-6 for his next contract
I would much rather have Briere for 2 years than Ribeiro for 6. Especially in the postseason. And especially as we'd probably net a nice return from selling Ribeiro.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Seriously, long term re-signing Ribs just isn't the right move.

This team is, for the most part, crap. And having Ribeiro certainly hasn't changed that.

We're going to move into a much much tougher division starting next year, and i seriously doubt we have a chance at doing anything for at least a season or two with this team. Might as well start building towards actually having a team, instead of wasting half of the big contract Ribs wants.
where do the caps currently rank among the teams in that new and tougher division?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Briere is 35 has 13 points this season and is -13

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8464975

those are some ugly stats, Makes me want to sign Ribeiro even more.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Briere/Marleau are wingers these days and Thornton's cap hit is unmanageable. If Briere becomes available it's after the Flyers use a compliance buy-out.

Agree with brs03's Grabovski target should TML let Bozak go only to add another top six center. Otherwise they'd need to dip into the UFA pool most likely: Weiss, Filppula, Roy. None of those guys scream powerhouse 2C.

Ribeiro isn't ideal but that ideal guy is either off the market, will require a large haul to land and/or carry a large cap hit or someone you have to draft to get into the system. The chances of upgrading over Ribeiro in the short-term are remote IMO.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
where do the caps currently rank among the teams in that new and tougher division?
Including last night's win, we're 5-9-1 against next year's division.

Edit: counted wrong

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 03-25-2013 at 12:38 PM.
BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
The difference is we've been playing against the SouthEast, while they've been playing against each other.

Not to mention, just three games ago we were ranked 2nd to last in the entire league. And two of those last 3 games were against... a southeast division team.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
wow...talk about not giving the guy any credit at all. he's not that good at even strenth and his pp success is oates...to coin a phrase...any monkey could do it.

not hard to replace? be careful what you wish for.

so....got some names of available guys would could jump into the caps lineup and then the top 10 in scoring in the league?

please dont say stephen weiss or ollie jokinen
Guys who could be top 10 in scoring? No. Ribeiro won't be in the future, either, so that's neither here nor there. The Caps PP is going to regress with or without him. It'd be better if they found someone who was better at ES for when that happens.

I may be wrong. Maybe the PP is all him. But the PP is overwhelmingly focused on getting Ovi the puck, and I think Backstrom is capable of doing that just fine. So someone worse than Ribeiro taking Backstrom's old spot on the half-wall isn't the end of the world to me. Certainly a better risk to take than paying Ribeiro what the market will support.

(As for who to target, I said before Grabovski would be my guy if the Leafs undervalue him the way I suspect they do. Make a pitch for Stastny or Gagner perhaps, although granted Gagner's handedness is an issue for the PP. Any of the younger UFA C's would be worth a shot. I'd be fine sticking with MoJo and Perreault for a year, spending the money elsewhere on good possession players and revisiting the issue, too.)

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Briere/Marleau are wingers these days and Thornton's cap hit is unmanageable. If Briere becomes available it's after the Flyers use a compliance buy-out.

Agree with brs03's Grabovski target should TML let Bozak go only to add another top six center. Otherwise they'd need to dip into the UFA pool most likely: Weiss, Filppula, Roy. None of those guys scream powerhouse 2C.

Ribeiro isn't ideal but that ideal guy is either off the market, will require a large haul to land and/or carry a large cap hit or someone you have to draft to get into the system. The chances of upgrading over Ribeiro in the short-term are remote IMO.
Roy isn't a powerhouse but he is a more well-rounded player. Would depend on the term he commands, I suppose.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Lawrencejame

Yea I did a little looking around to see possible replacements for Ribs if we trade em. I just cant find anything even close to him.

The more I think about it, we have got to sign him lol

Lawrencejame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

I have gone back and forth on this. When we were tanking for sure, I was all for the trade. Now, not sure. Chemistry matters. Just because you get a solid player doesn't mean he works with your team. See: Richards, Brad, NYR.

Ribs fits with this team. He's playing very well even with 20 and 21 on his wings. I'm starting to think keep him if he'll take reasonable $$ (4-5M per) in exchange for term and maybe a limited NTC.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:41 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
give him his 4 or 5 years he sounds like he may give a discount to get his years. If he becomes a cap problem in years 4 or 5 we can trade him or Nylander him.

But at deadline if no deal has been reached will have to trade him and hope we have enough left to still make playoffs
I don't think you can do that in current CBA. Cap hit stays.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Again guys, you're talking about replacing what Ribeiro is now. Ribeiro three years frim now won't replace what he is now.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
SDBondra

Can I change my vote? He's really impressed me the last 3 games - his line with Laich and Brouwer has been dominant. I think we should sign him but hopefully not for more than 2 or 3 years.

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Again guys, you're talking about replacing what Ribeiro is now. Ribeiro three years frim now won't replace what he is now.
True that. But I increasingly think you have to deal with that 3 years from now. That's 3 seasons of him bringing something we've lacked for 5 years.

Who knows, maybe Kuz actually thrives as a center in the NHL?

Old
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
msrulo

The Caps should trade him actually for a 1st round pick and a 3rd line center. Would that be overpaying?

The draft this year is really good.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
The Caps should trade him actually for a 1st round pick and a 3rd line center. Would that be overpaying?

The draft this year is really good.
If the deal is REALLY good, yeah, you trade him. But if the result is reopening a gaping whole in the roster that just got filled, you have to think very hard on that one.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Ribeiro is easily the best fit among the centers on the free agent market. The only other real options would be Roy or Brad Richards if New York buys him out. Weiss is coming off of a major injury, and is still likely to command a ridiculous paycheck that would put the team in just as much of a cap bind as keeping Ribeiro. Filppula has been playing mostly left wing for Detroit this season, and has returned to his ~40pt norm. He'd be essentially redundant with Johansson, but at a much higher cost. Heck, the rumors are stating he's asking for $5M+, so he'd hardly offer any savings compared to Ribeiro.

So that puts us in the trade market for a new 2C if we lose Ribeiro. In that case, a portion of the asset gain we get for Ribeiro would be neutralized by having to spend assets to acquire a new 2C. Grabovski isn't a bad option, but still costs $5.5M against the salary cap and wouldn't be given away for free. Nor is he as good as Ribeiro.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Ribeiro is easily the best fit among the centers on the free agent market. The only other real options would be Roy or Brad Richards if New York buys him out. Weiss is coming off of a major injury, and is still likely to command a ridiculous paycheck that would put the team in just as much of a cap bind as keeping Ribeiro. Filppula has been playing mostly left wing for Detroit this season, and has returned to his ~40pt norm. He'd be essentially redundant with Johansson, but at a much higher cost. Heck, the rumors are stating he's asking for $5M+, so he'd hardly offer any savings compared to Ribeiro.

So that puts us in the trade market for a new 2C if we lose Ribeiro. In that case, a portion of the asset gain we get for Ribeiro would be neutralized by having to spend assets to acquire a new 2C. Grabovski isn't a bad option, but still costs $5.5M against the salary cap and wouldn't be given away for free. Nor is he as good as Ribeiro.
MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan... problem solved.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:02 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Because untested rookies > proven vets?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Because untested rookies > proven vets?

Well, it's a good thing they won't be put in any high pressure situations like the playoffs then, right?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Kyle Turris, Zach Hamill, Josh Bailey, Ryan Johansen, Gilbert Brule, Rostislav Olesz, etc. These kids are called prospects for a reason. Unless you're nuking the team and going full rebuild, you don't build your roster around filling holes with freshly drafted players. This isn't the NFL. And you certainly don't handcuff yourself into picking a certain position rather than the BPA.
Heck, even if they get a Colin Wilson or Sam Gagner the window may be gone by the time they're ready to seriously contribute to a contender. Not to mention the tons of kids who are drafted as centers and end up on the wings.

Or, you know, a 10-12th place finish in the East and we might not even get to pick them.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote