HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the "Zucc" be back? (3/25: Agrees to terms)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
If you guys think that Zucc is the answer to our problem your nuts!! He will not play in our top six, and he can't play in his own end. We do not need another 175 pounder on our third line. Newbury should be on this third line before Miller so I can't wait for all the pissing and moaning on this board when Miller is in the press box!! Torts will not have Zucc and Miller on the third line so one of them will get forth line minutes.

The upgrade needs to come in the form of a top six right winger that can play on Steps line. I do not care who the Rangers pick up, if Gabby and Richards don't get going it does not matter what Torts or Slats do! Trade Gabby right now and get a legit top six forward and buy out Richards in the off season and give that money to the three guys that have carried this team in the off season. Stepan, and Mac would be fools to sign here for the chump change that Slats is going to offer them. They will get it elsewhere, and don't think that another GM does not see that!! ZUCC IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!!
They are RFAs without getting an OS they have no case to be "paid". Rangers sign bridge contracts with their RFAs I'm sure both know this

Old
03-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
If you guys think that Zucc is the answer to our problem your nuts!! He will not play in our top six, and he can't play in his own end. We do not need another 175 pounder on our third line. Newbury should be on this third line before Miller so I can't wait for all the pissing and moaning on this board when Miller is in the press box!! Torts will not have Zucc and Miller on the third line so one of them will get forth line minutes.

The upgrade needs to come in the form of a top six right winger that can play on Steps line. I do not care who the Rangers pick up, if Gabby and Richards don't get going it does not matter what Torts or Slats do! Trade Gabby right now and get a legit top six forward and buy out Richards in the off season and give that money to the three guys that have carried this team in the off season. Stepan, and Mac would be fools to sign here for the chump change that Slats is going to offer them. They will get it elsewhere, and don't think that another GM does not see that!! ZUCC IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!!
You want them to trade for a top-6 winger, and you don't care who they get, but Zucc isn't the answer? Yes this makes a lot of sense.

03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Creative offensively. Worthless in every other facet of the game.

But hey, when the franchise's offense is having its worst season in a half a century, what the hell, why not?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:08 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
How do we know he "doesn't like" him? He was getting solid minutes until he broke his hand. Nothing Torts could do about that. Then the Rangers offered him a contract but he chose to go to the KHL instead. If he plays like he did in the Spring last season then he'll find minutes.
He played here for what, 2 seasons. Constantly going up and down between the AHL, while actually producing points wise on offensively starved Rangers teams?

I think it was pretty clear. Look, I'm all for the signing. Our bottom 6 could use some offensive flair. So could our top 6 for that matter, but lets not act like this is a non-desperate, confused move by the management.

torts clearly doesn't like him. I think there's a difference between playing a guy because you essentially have to and playing a guy because you want to. IMO, it was the former when Zucc was here.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
NickyFotiu

Zooks doesnt have to carry the team or be the answer to all our problems. He just has to be a step in the right direction. Now we should have 3 lines that are a threat to score. We do not need to play two 4th lines a night. Have 3 legit lines and 1 "4th" line.

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hags-Stepan-Cally
MZA-Boyle-Gabs

Old
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:

Why the hell does everything need to be ****ing black and white? Zucc needs to be "THE ANSWER" for the signing to be relevant or intriguing? Why can't we just leave it at, the Rangers need some offensive depth and he's an upgrade over Bickel/Halpern. No, instead we have to have this existential, absolutist debate over whether Zucc is "THE ANSWER." It's like if your grandma sent you a $100 dollar check for your birthday and I started screaming in your ear about how the economy is in shambles. Yes, maybe so. But that means you can't appreciate the $100 dollars you were just given?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Stepanformayor*

Lundsanity if you don't think that the fact Skinner, Hall, Eberle, Ekman Zlarson, O'Reilly all signed 4-5 year deals at 5-6 million a year won't be a factor your crazy!! None of these guys had AR's either!! It is all about comparable contracts. I don't care what the Rangers do, IMO they will not touch Stepan for 2-2.5 million a year! What your saying is that Step in worth $300,000 to $500,000 a year than Boyle? Stepan is our lowest paid player on our team besides Emmiger and Gilroy. If Slats is smart they will get these done ASAP in the summer so they can deal with the Richards debacle that he has put himself in!!

Old
03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
He played here for what, 2 seasons. Constantly going up and down between the AHL, while actually producing points wise on offensively starved Rangers teams?

I think it was pretty clear. Look, I'm all for the signing. Our bottom 6 could use some offensive flair. So could our top 6 for that matter, but lets not act like this is a non-desperate, confused move by the management.

torts clearly doesn't like him. I think there's a difference between playing a guy because you essentially have to and playing a guy because you want to. IMO, it was the former when Zucc was here.
That's not clear to me at all. He was getting decent minutes before his injury. Sending a player back and forth to the AHL does not mean that the coach/GM doesn't like that player. Some players just aren't ready to jump into the fire right away. After a rough up and down period, it seemed like Zucc was starting to hit his stride before the injury.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
McDunna with Fries

Here are the goals we scored in regulation during our last 7 games following our "offensive explosion" of 4 goals against the Capitals on March 10th: 1, 1, 0, 1, 3, 1, 2.

We really need anything that can kickstart our offense. Best case scenario would be Gaby and Richie finally stepping up, but that seems more and more unlikely. I think Zucc would be a solid addition, but I'm not really sure whose spot he takes. Maybe Pyatt's. I wouldn't take anyone else out in his place.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Considering this team generally can't make a pass, Zucc is a welcomed addition.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

I heard Zuccarello is on his way to improve Rangers powerplay, since it sucks and is one of the worst in the league. I guess he'll log a lot more time on the ice then, but I thought Torts had issues with the little hobbit.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

To me, this looks like another move that must have resulted from a disconnect between Torts and Sather. Why did they ever let him leave in the first place? Torts has never been a big fan - that's obvious. So what is going to change now? Is Zuccarello going to play LW? Where is his ice time going to come from, especially with Kreider now big in Torts' favor?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Lundsanity if you don't think that the fact Skinner, Hall, Eberle, Ekman Zlarson, O'Reilly all signed 4-5 year deals at 5-6 million a year won't be a factor your crazy!! None of these guys had AR's either!! It is all about comparable contracts. I don't care what the Rangers do, IMO they will not touch Stepan for 2-2.5 million a year! What your saying is that Step in worth $300,000 to $500,000 a year than Boyle? Stepan is our lowest paid player on our team besides Emmiger and Gilroy. If Slats is smart they will get these done ASAP in the summer so they can deal with the Richards debacle that he has put himself in!!
And when he's as good as Hall, eberle or skinner maybe he will get that much too

Old
03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
They should be. But Zucc, a guy we all know Torts doesn't like. I mean it just shows how much of a mess the team and management is in right now.
I don't know if Tortorella likes Zucc or not--but one thing I do know is that Tortorella wants to win and will do what has to be done to achieve that goal. Also, Tortorella was using Zucc after he was called up late last season and Zucc was playing well (before he broke his wrist).

The Rangers need a spark--especially one who is a good playmaker. Short of a trade, Zucc might be the best solution.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Teams add fringe players all season long, whether through signings or call ups. I don't see why everyone thinks that MZA is being brought in to be "the answer." That's ludicrous. He's just another piece. I welcome him.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Here are the goals we scored in regulation during our last 7 games following our "offensive explosion" of 4 goals against the Capitals on March 10th: 1, 1, 0, 1, 3, 1, 2.

We really need anything that can kickstart our offense. Best case scenario would be Gaby and Richie finally stepping up, but that seems more and more unlikely. I think Zucc would be a solid addition, but I'm not really sure whose spot he takes. Maybe Pyatt's. I wouldn't take anyone else out in his place.

Hopefully we can start playing 3 lines that are goal scoring threats and only one "4th" line from now on.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Senorchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Considering this team generally can't make a pass, Zucc is a welcomed addition.
This. A million times this. The Rangers' possession stats have been abysmal this last month or so - no-one can seem to make or receive a pass (not even Richards!), and if there's one thing that Zucc does at a world-class level, it's make (and receive) passes. Enough of sodding dump and chase transition - Zucc has the passing skills (and hockey sense) to potentially break through some of the neutral-zone clogging defences that teams seem to have been favouring against the Rangers as of late.

Defense (as a winger) can be taught relatively easily. Hopefully Torts is at the end of his tether when it comes to his team failing to generate any sort of offence, and will give Zucc a bit of a longer leash this time (or give his line a winger with fierce backchecking ability - i.e. Hagelin).

If anything, this should bump Kreider back to the AHL (or Boyle to the press box, Miller to center) - he's looked thoroughly mediocre in his last few games. Eager to contribute, but making poor decision after poor decision while anywhere near the puck.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
You have no idea how the economics of the game work. Putting exclamation points at the end of every sentence doesn't change that.

What Boyle makes, or what Skinner, Hall, Eberle, etc. make, has no bearing on what Stepan will make. The only way Stepan will get 3 mil or more per year is if he signs for more than 2 years. Sather will sign him to a 2 year deal, just like he has done with every non-arbitration eligible RFA not named Staal or Lundqvist.

I know you love Stepan, but he is not going to break the bank on this contract.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Teams add fringe players all season long, whether through signings or call ups. I don't see why everyone thinks that MZA is being brought in to be "the answer." That's ludicrous. He's just another piece. I welcome him.
Reminds me of the offseason when every time the Rangers signed a Pyatt or Brandon Segal half the fanbase was *****ing at Sather because it didn't fill the need for a scoring winger. As if one thing had to do with the other. Apparently, much of our fanbase is of the belief that if a move isn't the move to solve everything then it shouldn't be made at all. Do people think Glen Sather is walking around MSG shaking hands with everyone and receiving congratulations for signing MZA and fixing all of the team's problems? I'm sure he's been on the phones every night and will continue to be trying to find any possible way to add an impact player. That doesn't mean he can't address smaller needs simultaneously.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorchris View Post
If anything, this should bump Kreider back to the AHL (or Boyle to the press box, Miller to center) - he's looked thoroughly mediocre in his last few games. Eager to contribute, but making poor decision after poor decision while anywhere near the puck.
You were on a decent roll until you said this ****. He's been back for 2 games and you clearly didn't watch either of them

Old
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
KenGuru

Zuccarello said to TV2 (quote); "I know the team is struggling at the moment but I am not Wayne Gretzky"

He alone will not make miracles ofcourse but maybe a change of lines can lift the whole team. Gaborik will fall back to RW where he plays much better

Old
03-25-2013, 12:08 PM
PJay NYR

Yay, the Hobbit is back!

The Lineup I would like to see is:

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Nash
MZA Miller Callahan
Powe Boyle Pyatt/Asham
Pyatt/Asham

Last edited by PJay NYR: 03-25-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Yay! I was hoping this would happen. I missed the little guy. This team needs more of what our Hobbit can bring.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

so happy he's back. always been a fan. he will definitely be getting PP time most likely on the first unit. richards' ass should be dumped to the second unit but i doubt that will happen. zucc has a lot of heart and i think he knows hes got to something to prove so he's going to play balls to the wall.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

It's really up to Torts to get the right line combos going (God help us all), but this:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
MZA - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Miller - Callahan
Pyatt/Asham - Boyle - Powe

looks a lot better than this:

Nash - Richards - Gaborik
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Miller - Boyle - Pyatt
Haley - Halpern - Powe

Having Boyle move to the fourth line alone will immediately remedy this team's scoring issues, guaranteed

Closed Thread