HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buddy Robinson College FA Signs with Sens

Old
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Bileur

vCash: 500
Can't hurt with all the half pints we have in Binghamton.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

The man himself...

Not looking too firm there Tim.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
The man himself...

Enchanté

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I believe the contracts that are being signed now (Hammond, Robinson if it happens) slide to next season so they don't count against our contract's for this season.

I'm no expert though.

I'm not sure. If you sign a guy now, I suspect it counts. I was talking about this the other day at the game and the rules changed slightly I was told under the new cba, he can play this year and into the playoffs. However, because of the timing and the trade deadline, guys still playing until the frozen four are ineligible to play because that is after the deadline.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Greetings Sens fans! Just saw this thread and read the story of Robinson's signing. You guys will like this kid. I saw Buddy quite a bit at Lake Superior State, so here's the skinny on him (my personal observations).

As has already been noted, he's big...very big. He plays somewhat of a similar style to Kellen Lain, who has already signed with the Canucks - can lay some punishing hits, strong on the forecheck, good offensive upside. But where Robinson is better than Lain IMO is on the defensive side (Lain IMO is a better offensive player). Buddy is very good at supporting his defensemen & goalie, whether it's in blocking shots or moving opposing players off the puck. He saw a lot of time on the Lakers' penalty-killing unit this season and really excelled as a rock solid penalty killer.

Two areas where he has vastly improved over the course of his collegiate career has been his skating and making better use of his towering frame. The size and strength he's added has greatly enhanced his skating, making his strides more powerful and providing better balance on skates. That has, in turn, added to his foot speed. As a stronger player, he is better able to move players off the puck in all areas of the ice and it has really helped improve his overall play along the walls. Robinson also does a great job of using his size to protect puck and is tough to move off of it.

If there's one weakness that Robinson has (that should hopefully continue to improve in the AHL) it's getting rid of pucks a little more quickly. At times this season, he's held on to the puck too long, usually because he was indecisive. When he does move the puck quickly, he's usually been pretty smart and confident about it.

IMO, Robinson will likely be utilized by the Sens as a shutdown, penalty-killing forward. He's not as physical as Lain is, but he also isn't afraid to mix it up either. Robinson has a high compete level and he works his tail off too.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. Hope this helps.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
The man himself...

Looks like Tim's afraid Buddy will devour his arm.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Haha it looks like he's holding Tim hands.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Greetings Sens fans! Just saw this thread and read the story of Robinson's signing. You guys will like this kid. I saw Buddy quite a bit at Lake Superior State, so here's the skinny on him (my personal observations).

As has already been noted, he's big...very big. He plays somewhat of a similar style to Kellen Lain, who has already signed with the Canucks - can lay some punishing hits, strong on the forecheck, good offensive upside. But where Robinson is better than Lain IMO is on the defensive side (Lain IMO is a better offensive player). Buddy is very good at supporting his defensemen & goalie, whether it's in blocking shots or moving opposing players off the puck. He saw a lot of time on the Lakers' penalty-killing unit this season and really excelled as a rock solid penalty killer.

Two areas where he has vastly improved over the course of his collegiate career has been his skating and making better use of his towering frame. The size and strength he's added has greatly enhanced his skating, making his strides more powerful and providing better balance on skates. That has, in turn, added to his foot speed. As a stronger player, he is better able to move players off the puck in all areas of the ice and it has really helped improve his overall play along the walls. Robinson also does a great job of using his size to protect puck and is tough to move off of it.

If there's one weakness that Robinson has (that should hopefully continue to improve in the AHL) it's getting rid of pucks a little more quickly. At times this season, he's held on to the puck too long, usually because he was indecisive. When he does move the puck quickly, he's usually been pretty smart and confident about it.

IMO, Robinson will likely be utilized by the Sens as a shutdown, penalty-killing forward. He's not as physical as Lain is, but he also isn't afraid to mix it up either. Robinson has a high compete level and he works his tail off too.

Awesome - always love your reports! Glad to hear he works his tail off - with his size, assuming his skating continues to improve, perhaps the Sens have a real diamond in the rough...

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Buddy smash!

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Tim finally shaved that creepy facial hair. Nice.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Google...

Convicted murderer...

ohh that's not the right Buddy Robinson
I'd actually be fine if our guy and he were the same, less choir boys and more nasty, vicious, violent skaters on our team plox. Like this signing so far, hopefully he can actually play.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Being interested in a player doesn't mean we'll land them

The Murrays are being proactive in making sure all levels have good players

I think they realized how amazing it was for everyone when Bingo won the Calder

I've always supported the notion that while the AHL is a development league, winning is the best kind of development: giving Bingo the tools to win only helps Ottawa
I was talking more about maximum contracts, but i guess they don't count after a certain date.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Nizzy

Awesome another bottom 6 guy

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:44 PM
starling

Good signing.
Welcome to ECHL, Buddy.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:00 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:

Wow, what a terrific report! Much appreciated!

Welcome aboard, Buddy!

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:04 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Tim Murray = lolz

03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
DG

Quote:

Thanks for putting this together for us! Sounds like he'd be a solid guy to add to your bottom 6 if he can put it all together at an NHL level.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Hale The Villain

Love signings like these, so much you can do with a 6'5, 230lbs powerforward that can skate.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Good signing.
Welcome to ECHL, Buddy.
I doubt he will be going to the ECHL.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Buddy Robinson ‏@BuddyR16 35m
Want to thank the #Sens for this opportunity along with my family and friends who have always supported me. I'm very blessed! #GoSensGo
Details

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
zeddyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by senzzen View Post
**** him if he doesn't!
wafflebot.jpg

zeddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee buddy!

Apparently the kid played for the Nepean Raiders in 10/11 so he knows the area.
Was that post-Galley?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:20 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Was that post-Galley?
I think so. Seems like it was around the time of our cup final run that Galley parted ways with the Raiders IIRC.

Last edited by WasTeD: 03-25-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: cup FINALS run :(
Old
03-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
I think so. Seems like it was around the time of our cup run that Galley parted ways with the Raiders IIRC.
Ya that was back in 2009 the ordeal with Altshuller happened

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:30 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Ya that was back in 2009 the ordeal with Altshuller happened
Thx for the confirmation. So Robinson would have been on the team the following season after Galley quit.