HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012-13 News & Notes

Old
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
WHL fan chiming in here...I wonder what the true motivation for Leonsis is here? I understand trademarks and intellectual property, but really; who cares?

The owners of the Chilliwack Bruins, Portland Winterhawks & Kitchener Rangers better watch their backs.

motivation

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Good to see Ted and GMGM taking care of the big things.

THE BRAND! THE BRAND! PROTECT THE BRAND!
this is something that comes out of legal, very likely out of the nhl office. i doubt seriously mcphee is involved at all. there are other chl that use the capitals base sweater. i would guess here that the caps/nhl(this is nhl licensing...not capitals licensing) are asking for an adjustment to the caps signature hockey stick and stars which dont have any fit on a hurricanes logo.

as a general thing i wonder why so many here seem so outraged everytime the team does anything of a minor housekeeping thing. the caps announce a minor leaguer for hershey and the board goes bananas because the caps havent signed suter.

this is barely even news.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this is something that comes out of legal, very likely out of the nhl office. i doubt seriously mcphee is involved at all. there are other chl that use the capitals base sweater. i would guess here that the caps are asking for an adjustment to the caps signature hockey stick and stars which dont have any fit on a hurricanes logo.

as a general thing i wonder why so many here seem so outraged everytime the team does anything of a minor housekeeping thing. the caps announce a minor leaguer for hershey and the board goes bananas because the caps havent signed suter.

this is barely even news.
I know, I just hate trademark litigation more than the next guy.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
tycoonheart

On the tweeters:

- Optional skate today
- Erskine and Kundratek skating

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Gormley is an idiot. His story is about Ovi, but he included Backstrom in the headline. But it's the wrong Backstrom.

Ovechkin, Backstrom Stars of the Week

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:30 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Gormley is an idiot. His story is about Ovi, but he included Backstrom in the headline. But it's the wrong Backstrom.

Ovechkin, Backstrom Stars of the Week
Not sure he's the one writing the headline on those sorts of stories. More likely an editor who doesn't know Niklas exists.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Not sure he's the one writing the headline on those sorts of stories. More likely an editor who doesn't know Niklas exists.
you're probably right. but i still prefer to bash gormley given the opportunity.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Yeah, hear you loud and clear there.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I wonder if you can get payed to do worse of a job..!

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:47 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Per an RMNB writer on twitter:

Adam Oates on the upper body injury to Eric Fehr, who's suffered bad shoulder problems in the past: "It's not his shoulder."

If true. That's good news.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Per an RMNB writer on twitter:

Adam Oates on the upper body injury to Eric Fehr, who's suffered bad shoulder problems in the past: "It's not his shoulder."

If true. That's good news.
Clavicle? Neck? Could very well be bad news.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Clavicle? Neck? Could very well be bad news.
Anything above the waist is upper body...

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 2m
#Caps' Alex Ovechkin on being named @nhl 1st star of week: "It feel normal. Like long time. It feels like kind of excited."

Now just do it again this week too.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:48 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Kundratek close to returning. Based on what you have seen so far, would you dress him over Oleksy, or Orlov for that matter?

My gut is that Kundratek gets the short end of the stick, probably send him on a conditioning stint to Hershey to buy time.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:53 PM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Kundratek close to returning. Based on what you have seen so far, would you dress him over Oleksy, or Orlov for that matter?

My gut is that Kundratek gets the short end of the stick, probably send him on a conditioning stint to Hershey to buy time.
Waive Jeff Schultz if we can't get any picks for him.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:20 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 4m
Ovi 1st star of week, "king of the world. ... I was almost in the toilet. Maybe you just forget to flush me." http://wtim.es/13qY9sr
wtf...

Old
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
wtf...
I love that quote. Ovi with attitude. Need more of that.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:30 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Orlov seems to be a LD now. So the only thing in the way of keeping both Oleksy and Kundratek in the roster is Green's health. Based on recent history, not much of an impediment.

RH, you are probably right about the conditioning stint, though doesn't that come with a mandatory recall (i.e. can't leave him down there)? Oleksy IMO is more versatile to potentially play offside than Kundratek. He seems to make simpler plays.

Long run, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kundratek take a backseat just based on Oleksy's physicality. Kundratek is essentially the Green sub, with his stick handling ability.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Waive Jeff Schultz if we can't get any picks for him.
It would be interesting to hear what opposition GMs think his worth is now. What do we here think it is? I will say a 5th.

With Orlov taking reps at LD, Sarge's elation from Hammer getting moved got rescinded.

George is going to hold out for a king ransom, if ever a trade were to happen. C'mon plus fiddy, one more time baby.

For all the preaching he has done about coveting mobile dmen, Sarge just doesn't add up. He seems hell bent on making sure he never regrets trading Sarge, yet the guy can't even get a sweater, and is a team worst minus. George must think Sarge is going to develop more, but I dont see what Sarge will add to his game at this point.

Even tiny Oleksy has more blocks than the towering Sarge, who you would think likely has more BS, from just sheer size, play style, GP etc.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Orlov seems to be a LD now. So the only thing in the way of keeping both Oleksy and Kundratek in the roster is Green's health. Based on recent history, not much of an impediment.

RH, you are probably right about the conditioning stint, though doesn't that come with a mandatory recall (i.e. can't leave him down there)? Oleksy IMO is more versatile to potentially play offside than Kundratek. He seems to make simpler plays.

Long run, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kundratek take a backseat just based on Oleksy's physicality. Kundratek is essentially the Green sub, with his stick handling ability.
There is a story brewing here.

The "Oates" theme of sticks on boards certainly points to Orlov at LD. I thought Kundratek had eek'd out a job but the O crew has come in and may have seized 2 jobs. We have used 12 dmen this year IIRC.

It seems a decided move towards more offense youth and toughness on defense, that few saw coming if true. Hammer gone, Sarge dropping to maybe 8 or 9 on the D chart at this point. I wonder where Hillen fits in, but think he has taken Poti's spot personally.

The D depth chart has been shuffled:

LD: Alzner Erskine Orlov Hillen Poti Sarge Schilling
RD: Green Carlson Oleksy Kundratek

Olek: 12G 1+5 +4 Kund: 25G 1+6 -5

Sure Olek has been here during a better run, but who's to say its a coincidence. He seems to have breathed life into the team. Kund, no one even talked about. Oleksy was just on 106.7.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:07 PM
SDBondra

Hillen has balls the size of bowling balls but the way he plays you have to maintain good defensive depth. The guy has a knack for holding onto the puck until the very last second and then getting demolished. I admire him but I think we should send him packing for someone who's not going to spend half of every season on the IR.

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
kicksavedave
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
Hillen has balls the size of bowling balls but the way he plays you have to maintain good defensive depth. The guy has a knack for holding onto the puck until the very last second and then getting demolished. I admire him but I think we should send him packing for someone who's not going to spend half of every season on the IR.
Did someone say "bowling balls"???

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
Is Green his mentor?

Joking aside, George may not care. He loves him some mobility on D, even if the Dmen get pounded and break in the playoffs, George will be back with new ones next season.

Many NHL players need schooling:

Hitting school - including how to absorb a hit
Shielding - And playing with their back to the goal / opponents. Opponents can barely defend anyone with their back turned now with the ticky tack calls.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Semin signed with Canes. 5 years. 7 mil per year

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

THE STATS GUY ‏@TH2NSTATSGUY 5m
Ovechkin pre Milbury comments: 8 goals, 7 assists, -7 in 19 games....Ovechkin post Milbury comments: 8 goals, 8 assists, +3 in 13 games.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote