HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Tippet would be a terrible fit on a team that is going to be carried with young players. Not someone I want with a young developing team.

He is a very good coach with a team that is close to winning and has a veteran core.
If by "not very good with young players" you mean "he alienated Turris because he hit the reset button on the prior regime's botch-job of the kid's development and Turris didn't like playing AHL/fourth line minutes for two more years."

He's done excellent work with Yandle, OEL, Hanzal, Korpikoski, etc. I'd love Phoenix's entire management team, to be honest. They've made so many good moves over the past few seasons, I'd definitely take the chance to see what they can do with Pegula bucks.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
If by "not very good with young players" you mean "he alienated Turris because he hit the reset button on the prior regime's botch-job of the kid's development and Turris didn't like playing AHL/fourth line minutes for two more years."

Umm, nope that never even crossed my mind

Old
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:

He's done excellent work with Yandle, OEL, Hanzal, Korpikoski, etc. I'd love Phoenix's entire management team, to be honest. They've made so many good moves over the past few seasons, I'd definitely take the chance to see what they can do with Pegula bucks.
You are correct. My parents are STHers in PHX--them and and about 28 other people --and they love Tippett. Boedker has been brought about nicely, and you could really see his development starting in the playoffs last year.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Would be hilarious if Tampa hires Ruff and Buffalo hires Boucher. I almost want to see it just for teh lulz...

And I guarantee those that have been calling for Ruff's head for years will turn on Tippett just as quickly, for much the same reasons.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

The only answer is:

New GM from outside the organization and up-and-coming head coach who can coach a young team, so someone from minors

Old
03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Would be hilarious if Tampa hires Ruff and Buffalo hires Boucher. I almost want to see it just for teh lulz...

And I guarantee those that have been calling for Ruff's head for years will turn on Tippett just as quickly, for much the same reasons.
Maybe. Unless Tippet won more games. All any fan really wants to see is the team winning. No one's gonna care if Vanek's only playing 16 minutes a night if we're consistently playing well and making the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Maybe we take Julien Brisebois or Pat Verbeek (asst GM/Dir Player) from Tampa... and he hires Boucher?

just to double up the lolz

Old
03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post

I doubt it. Tippett's teams play fast and aggressive, and they dictate the pace of play most nights. The past few iterations of the Sabres have been slow and passive, and they let the game come to them. I think he'd do a good job here. That said, I'd be happy with Cooper/Eakins, as well.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I doubt it. Tippett's teams play fast and aggressive, and they dictate the pace of play most nights. The past few iterations of the Sabres have been slow and passive, and they let the game come to them. I think he'd do a good job here. That said, I'd be happy with Cooper/Eakins, as well.
I agree with you on Tippett's approach. Both Dallas and now Phoenix have played the same styles. And he's been successful in both locales.

A few playoff year's ago, (Chicago SC year ? I think?), Tippet had Dallas playing the most aggressive checking system (almost a full ice press) that I'd ever seen and I thought they would be difficult to beat. Then they ran out of gas in the 2nd round......

He has the Yotes playing the same sort of high tempo game with some adjustments built in now that took the team all the way to the semi's last year. (Of course give Smith some credit there and if not for Torres clocking Hossa... eh?)

I'd love to see the Sabres adopt that kind of style of play but the Sabres don't have the personnnel for it right now.

While I like Tippett's approach, I hate watching my teams have to play against it. Too darn effective!

Old
03-25-2013, 03:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Maybe we take Julien Brisebois or Pat Verbeek (asst GM/Dir Player) from Tampa... and he hires Boucher?

just to double up the lolz
Oh boy, the Kane to Buffalo chatter would go off the charts if that happened.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
I agree with you on Tippett's approach. Both Dallas and now Phoenix have played the same styles. And he's been successful in both locales.

A few playoff year's ago, (Chicago SC year ? I think?), Tippet had Dallas playing the most aggressive checking system (almost a full ice press) that I'd ever seen and I thought they would be difficult to beat. Then they ran out of gas in the 2nd round......

He has the Yotes playing the same sort of high tempo game with some adjustments built in now that took the team all the way to the semi's last year. (Of course give Smith some credit there and if not for Torres clocking Hossa... eh?)

I'd love to see the Sabres adopt that kind of style of play but the Sabres don't have the personnnel for it right now.

While I like Tippett's approach, I hate watching my teams have to play against it. Too darn effective!
The last time they made the dance was 2008, the year they traded a bunch of parts to Tampa for Richards. They upset Anaheim, then San Jose (game 6 in that series is one of the best games ever played, FWIW), before getting rolled by Detroit, who pretty much went unchallenged through the playoffs that year. Yeah, that Stars team was fun.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:54 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
The last time they made the dance was 2008, the year they traded a bunch of parts to Tampa for Richards. They upset Anaheim, then San Jose (game 6 in that series is one of the best games ever played, FWIW), before getting rolled by Detroit, who pretty much went unchallenged through the playoffs that year. Yeah, that Stars team was fun.
Yep, you are right. I was fuzzy on the season but indeed it was 2008 and they got buzzed by the mighty Wings machine....

But I loved Tippett's team and his strategy. Great hockey playoffs that year......

Old
03-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Cooper won't be our new HC.

Per just about everywhere, he's gonna be named TB's new HC tomorrow.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Yep, you are right. I was fuzzy on the season but indeed it was 2008 and they got buzzed by the mighty Wings machine....

But I loved Tippett's team and his strategy. Great hockey playoffs that year......
Tippet is an awesome coach with underrated player evaluation. They really make use of advanced statistics and that's how they're able to compete every year despite a revolving door of goaltenders and seemingly little talent.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:44 AM
wunderpanda

I hope we keep Rolston.

He is doing something right after a shaky start, he had coached some of the team during the lockout and he is familiar with all our current prospects. He has had success in NCAA and internationally with young players, and was successful with the Amerks.

Seems like he is the perfect fit for us, especially as the team will get younger next season.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:52 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I hope we keep Rolston.

He is doing something right after a shaky start, he had coached some of the team during the lockout and he is familiar with all our current prospects. He has had success in NCAA and internationally with young players, and was successful with the Amerks.

Seems like he is the perfect fit for us, especially as the team will get younger next season.
He's what we asked for at the beginning of the season: an up and comer with a different attitude and a willingness to commit himself to the improvement of players in development.

Still ... Not sold yet. I don't know how to explain it

Old
03-26-2013, 01:22 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He's what we asked for at the beginning of the season: an up and comer with a different attitude and a willingness to commit himself to the improvement of players in development.

Still ... Not sold yet. I don't know how to explain it
This post basically encapsulates what I came here to post. Certainly not sold on Rolston yet but if we make a run he likely will stay. He is understated to say the least and I hope he will make his presence known with the refs more but he has been solid thus far.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:29 AM
dotcommunism

I'll admit my opinion isn't the most informed out there, and this is just the impression I get, but it kind of seems to me that Rolston is a better teacher than a coach. Like, as far as game management and such goes.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I just wonder what happens to him if he isn't retained as the head for the sabres next year.

I'd love to have him back in Rochester. But that doesn't happen all too often if at all, duzzitt?

Old
03-26-2013, 08:36 AM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I just wonder what happens to him if he isn't retained as the head for the sabres next year.

I'd love to have him back in Rochester. But that doesn't happen all too often if at all, duzzitt?
If he is not retained as a head coach, I could see him becoming an assistant somewhere. The guy has an outstanding resume already, I could see him wanting to add as much NHL experience as possible to bolster his desirability.

Last edited by ManuelCalavera: 03-26-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 01:57 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Steve Ott was on WGR saying that he is just the type of coach he likes. He described him as strong, smart and very aware of the details and nuances of the game, or something to that effect. He says that in your face coaches should not be needed to help a palyer get up for a game. If you need soemone to scream at you to get up for a game, maybe you should not be in the NHL....interesting.

Maybe he has more of a strong commanding presnce than he shows on teh bench. He has not been to wishy washy about sitting guys and giving lesser known or lesser pedigree players time.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Steve Ott was on WGR saying that he is just the type of coach he likes. He described him as strong, smart and very aware of the details and nuances of the game, or something to that effect. He says that in your face coaches should not be needed to help a palyer get up for a game. If you need soemone to scream at you to get up for a game, maybe you should not be in the NHL....interesting.
Thats always been the case in every pro sport. If you don't have a team full of self motivated players you're not going to win much. Too many on here (not saying you do) seem to think a coach or captain can make up for individual players not being self driven.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:02 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I hope we keep Rolston.

Agreed, Completely agree with this point. I think his done enough to deserve a full season. Hell he benched Stafford twice so his my 2nd favourite person on the planet atm.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
camcool21

If the Sabres can make a playoff run (even if they fall just short), I think they keep Rolston on another year. I've been pleased with his personnel decisions thus far.

My only criticism, is I wish that he played Enroth more (as Miller WILL get tired by the end of the season at this pace, and Enroth has looked like the hot hand as of late).

Old
03-26-2013, 05:08 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thats always been the case in every pro sport. If you don't have a team full of self motivated players you're not going to win much. Too many on here (not saying you do) seem to think a coach or captain can make up for individual players not being self driven.
My "interesting" remark was really about the rest of the paragraph concerning his perspective of Rolston and what almost seemed like an outward endorsement for this type of coach as beingpreferable to Ott.

I do not think that about screaming to motivate players.

I know you coach and I have my fair share of experience with youth sports. I personally had an epiphany this year while watching lots of youth hockey and baseball. On every single team, no matter what level, I think that it is not so much about "getting up for games", as much as it is about being a consistant player. I think that there are very few who can be consistant at a high level of play throughout a season, whether a peewee or a pro. Those that can are super special. Those that cannot may still be very, very good on some nights and make you want to pull your hair out on others. I happen to have two of the later as children and it is not about being into it or being ready to play. A coach can scream at them and that will not change their play.

Closed Thread