HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Smyth is clearly hurting the team. A good team would've sent him packing or at least given him a long stay in the press box by now.

Unfortunately, sentimental value is more important than playing ability to the Oilers.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
bleed_oil

vCash: 500
Seriously it kills me to see Smytty stumbling and bumbling on the ice like a retarded version of the kid I used to watch in the late 90's. Send him to the press box and let Yak get out there and create some damn offense.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
We wish., we hope., we're talking about a selfish man with a big ego
Excuse me? Care to back that up with something besides your opinion? Last I looked, Smyth was an Oiler who put in countless hours and time into charities around Edmonton.

for a guy who has a so called "big ego", he forced a trade to come home to Edmonton, instead of playing in Los Angeles. How many players demand a trade to Edmonton? Apparently his drop in on-ice play, causes Oiler fans to Make up crap about him.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Smyth is clearly hurting the team. A good team would've sent him packing or at least given him a long stay in the press box by now.

Unfortunately, sentimental value is more important than playing ability to the Oilers.
A good team would have had a center backup to play for injured players instead of throwing a guy who has never played center in his life there.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
A good team would have had a center backup to play for injured players instead of throwing a guy who has never played center in his life there.
There were plenty of opportunities to get a fourth line centre. We could've called up Vande Velde, claimed Adam Hall on waivers, traded for Steckel, etc. Any of those players would've been a better option than Smyth.

The problem is that the Oilers didn't want to make any of those moves because they are afraid of benching Smyth again.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Yup, you're right. That being the case doesn't make Smyth NOT Done. He shouldn't be playing a regular shift, regardless of what position it's in.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
There were plenty of opportunities to get a fourth line centre. We could've called up Vande Velde, claimed Adam Hall on waivers, traded for Steckel, etc. Any of those players would've been a better option than Smyth.

The problem is that the Oilers didn't want to make any of those moves because they are afraid of benching Smyth again.
So, uh, any evidence of this theory of yours?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
So, uh, any evidence of this theory of yours?
Smyth has been playing horrible hockey for weeks and is still in the lineup every night getting significant ice time.

Any other team in the league would have him in the press box.

Some might even have him in the AHL while Hartikainen plays on the third line.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Smyth has been playing horrible hockey for weeks and is still in the lineup every night getting significant ice time.

Any other team in the league would have him in the press box.

Some might even have him in the AHL while Hartikainen plays on the third line.
Doesn't answer the question since the list of players on the Oilers who would be scratched/in the AHL on any other team in the league is a long one. Now: what proof do you have the the Oilers didn't want to make a move for another C because they are afraid of benching Smyth again?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Let him retire. Give him a coaching position with the Oil Kings junior team.

Love Smytty and idolized him when I was a kid but he's a shell of his former self.

Him and Belanger are the two most useless players on the team right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
The Oil Kings have 100+ regular season wins and a WHL championship the last 2 seasons. Changes to the coaching staff aren't exactly a must.
He should get a similar role as Lanny has with the Flames or Beliveau with the Habs. Greet people when they enter the building and get his picture taken with them. Give them tours of the facility and locker room. Liase between the fans and the organization, do speaking engagements(?). That should start at the next home game by the way.

My first question on the tour would be, 'hey smytty, show us your old stall'.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Doesn't answer the question since the list of players on the Oilers who would be scratched/in the AHL on any other team in the league is a long one. Now: what proof do you have the the Oilers didn't want to make a move for another C because they are afraid of benching Smyth again?
No one thinks that playing Smyth as fourth line centre is a better option than adding another centre to the roster. There were many opportunities to add another centre. The Oilers didn't.

Why else would that be?

You don't have to accept it if you don't want to, but it's pretty clear what's going on.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Excuse me? Care to back that up with something besides your opinion? Last I looked, Smyth was an Oiler who put in countless hours and time into charities around Edmonton.

for a guy who has a so called "big ego", he forced a trade to come home to Edmonton, instead of playing in Los Angeles. How many players demand a trade to Edmonton? Apparently his drop in on-ice play, causes Oiler fans to Make up crap about him.
He is selfish, you said it yourself, he forced a trade to satisfy himself, not the LA Kings. And the reason he left the Oilers the first time, was over how much money???

I will give him credit, he is great with the public, especially the kids. I He is great in the ambassador role. His time is done a player though and is having a hard time accepting that.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
No one thinks that playing Smyth as fourth line centre is a better option than adding another centre to the roster. There were many opportunities to add another centre. The Oilers didn't.

Why else would that be?
Because they are poorly managed, not because they don't want to bench Smytty again for some unknown reason.

Quote:
You don't have to accept it if you don't want to, but it's pretty clear what's going on.
Leaving obvious roster holes untouched has been this regime's MO for years. It's not about Smyth.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Summary

Quote:
Because they are poorly managed, not because they don't want to bench Smytty again for some unknown reason.

Leaving obvious roster holes untouched has been this regime's MO for years. It's not about Smyth.
We get it, you really, really like Smyth. I really liked Jason Smith but that didn't make him a better hockey player in his final years and whatever he brought off the ice didn't fix that either.

Denial won't make Smyth's very declining years as a player any better and fighting it sure won't change what's happening on the ice, trust me.

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

Why else would that be?

No, its not clear. What is clear is that you don't have any evidence that management or coach is "afraid" of Smyth.

Are there better options than Smyth? Sure is, but that's on management or the coach.

By the same token, are you going to suggest that management is "afraid" of Peckham? Else they would have waived him goodbye by now...

Old
03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Can anyone tell me what this guy does or why he's still here?

He's slow, he can't score, he's not physical, and if the last few games are any indication he has even less leadership than Horcoff.

Like many Oiler fans I was happy he decided to come back and take Colin Fraser away from us at the same time...

Now it appears we made a huge mistake by letting him go and getting Smyth back. There doesn't seem to be a more useless player on the Oilers or even in the NHL.

Just waive him. He serves no purpose and is dragging the team down to horrible depths.
I questioned why were bringing him back. I was told because he lost some teeth in a game and kept playing. Then I was called a "looser".
I also questioned why we need a new building - I was told that there is a hole in roof - can't fix it?

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Tommy35

Quote:

UHH !! We made him a favor by trading for him to bring him home to be with his family, made his wish come true., at HIS REQUEST!! what does charity work have to do with his suckage as a hockey player? We had to unload him to the Islanders because he wanted $220k more., god only knows how much he wanted in his current contract, which we mistakenly signed him for, $2m my *** ., We scratched him for a few games because of his play., and he doesn't want to address the media., yes ego., hard pill to swallow ehh Mr. Smyth., never thought it could happen to you., so you take your ball go home and cry, instead of standing up like a man and showing accountability. And the selfish comment., is how Smyth plays the game., or in his case "struggles" to play

Last edited by Tommy35: 03-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Though I agree Smyth's play is a shell of what it use to be and his play is hurting the team more than helping it, I cannot help but notice the stupid and ignorant accusations that he's selfish and has an ego the size of Manhattan.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

Like LA? Perhaps counting their lucky stars!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I don't know if anyone caught my exchange with Min Dhariwal on Twitter, but it's interesting, as it relates to Smyth

Quote:
Min Dhariwal ‏@MinDhariwal 1h
Ryan Smyth's wrister just isn't what it used to be #oilers

‏@Tealerino 46m
@MinDhariwal that's because Ryan smyth has been DONE since this time last year, hopefully he has the sense to hang it up

‏@MinDhariwal 37m
@Tealerino this'll be his last hurrah. #100% #fact

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:44 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Time to send this selfish piece of garbage to the AHL where he belongs.

#BringBackColinFraser

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Umm, isn't that a textbook example of a big ego? A 6.5 million 50 point player demanding a trade to one and only one team? Yes Smyth put in countless hours into charities, but that amount of money is pocket change compared to the amount we overpayed him by. 4.5 million dollars, 2 years. Management is the biggest joke in the NHL.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Ok this has to end. I hope to high heaven Ralph staples this guys ass to the pressbox once Smithson gets here. At this point I'd seriously consider bringing Huggy Bear back then throwing this guy out there again.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Quinteoilers

Hockey is a cruel sport, it's 100% obvious to others when you can't play anymore. Usually the last guy to know is the player himself. Brett Hull was the same way after the previous lockout, he simply could keep up. Most Oiler fans love Smyth, but they also loved Chopper until time caught up with him. Then he was "garbage, toast, washed up, ect...happens to every guy.

Quinteoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:30 AM
AUAIOMRN

I can't believe how many times yesterday I'd get excited about a breakout or odd man rush, then see it was Smyth with the puck and my excitement would evaporate.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote