HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Danny DeKeyser thread of magical mystery

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
DeKeyser will be a good defenseman...Chris Tanev is a good comparison. No realistic person expects him to be a top pairing guy. Same with Sustr. But if you can get a decent 4/5 for free on an ELC, why not do it?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Wade Redden hasn't had a "minus" game since February 11th.
I'm not sure on that "amazing race" with Iginla, if it was amazing or not....seemed like it was in slow motion... Redden did catch him though...have to admit it.... I have to think DeKeyser could make him a 7th guy.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
DeKeyser will be a good defenseman...Chris Tanev is a good comparison. No realistic person expects him to be a top pairing guy. Same with Sustr. But if you can get a decent 4/5 for free on an ELC, why not do it?
Exactly this. All the fuse is that you basically get a free (no picks or high salary) almost ready prospect.

If he doesn't pan out, only thing you lose is ELC money and 1 of 50 contract while he is there.

EDIT: Also if we get DeKeyser I really think we trade White at the deadline

Old
03-25-2013, 01:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
OK, 4/5 guy who's a lefty. No wonder the Preds want him.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Exactly this. All the fuse is that you basically get a free (no picks or high salary) almost ready prospect.

If he doesn't pan out, only thing you lose is ELC money and 1 of 50 contract while he is there.

EDIT: Also if we get DeKeyser I really think we trade White at the deadline
I agree with Quincey out for the rest of the year If we do land DeKeyser then White should be gone at the trade deadline and that opens a space for DeKeyser.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
His agent wants him to field offers and see what else is out there. His decision was never expected before Tuesday of this week. He was only eliminated from the post-season yesterday really. Nobody in Detroit expected an answer right away, they have made their pitch and I think they have feeling they will even get a last crack depending on the other promises he receives.
Gotcha and maybe he enjoyed the recruiting process and who wouldn't, especially for someone who went undrafted.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Eskie Jetski

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
DD only signs in Edmonton if he is a big fan of losing.

The image that the Oilers are an up and coming team is dead.
I'm sure college kids were foaming at the mouth to sign with Detroit during the "Dead Things" era.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskie Jetski View Post
I'm sure college kids were foaming at the mouth to sign with Detroit during the "Dead Things" era.
Current wings fans don't know those years existed.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Well, to be fair, college kids were pretty much ignored during that time period. I get your point, though.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:

wow..

And Detroit's on the rise?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

I don't get why everyone is so stuck on the "Well he didn't immediately sign with Detroit, so he's not going there!" He has an agent, an agent that isn't going to allow him to just immediatley sign his first professional contract without actually thinking about it. Hey kid, let's see how much value you got, and see how much teams want you. No one in their right mind is simply not going to field offers. You want to keep a good reputation within the league, you want teams to know that you gave them a chance, you looked into them but you felt this was the best choice. What would it say if he did just simply sign with Detroit? It would say that he didn't care about the other 29 teams. Do you think he would get much come his next contract if he did want to leave Detroit? Come on. It's a business, you don't just give the rest of the league the shoulder and keep pressing.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
I agree with Quincey out for the rest of the year If we do land DeKeyser then White should be gone at the trade deadline and that opens a space for DeKeyser.
3 rookies on the blue line is kind of scary.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
how good is the guy? Honestly?
#5 guy right now (on a good team) who plays kinda like a cross between less physical versions of Brad Stuart and Coburn, though he can make some good outlet passes.

Max potential is a good #4 or #3 on a bad team.

Not a game breaker but a quality safe defensemen that can be added for free. NHL caliber for sure though.

Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 03-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
My guess is that Ana, STL, and NSH are there to drive up the asking price.

You might say, "but the price is the same for all teams!" but I think the goal is to see if one GM will promise Danny things that he maybe should not, like REALLY large amounts of ice time.

The way I see this working out is as follows:

He has Detroit, and he knows what Detroit is offering. He wants to see if Edmonton will go over the top, in which case he'll sign in Edmonton. He's kicking the tires on the other teams to see if they'll wow him, but it's mostly to see if Edmonton will really go crazy with their offer. If Edmonton just sort of sticks to their original offer, he'll sign in Detroit.

Here are the big bargaining chips as I see them (and let's note that while these are not guarantees, they are "chances" that a GM can offer):

Nashville: The chance to play with Shea Weber either eventually or even this season a little bit.

STL: Similarly, the chance to play with Pietrangelo a bit.

Anaheim: ??? I think they're being used to increase demand. They have a stocked prospect pool and nothing particularly prestigious for a young D to covet.

Edmonton: The chance to play first pairing with Schultz and see if it works.

Detroit: top 4 minutes and power play time on his home team with his family cheering him on. (Basically, the fanboy dream)
Anaheim wouldn't be involved if they weren't going to make a legit pitch, and didn't really want him, and I think you're underrating the draw Anaheim could have. The Ducks have a history of dipping into the NCAA to find undrafted players, and they've had good success doing it. Burke apparently loves the kid, and was going hard after him in Toronto.

Most people don't appreciate the youth aspect for Anaheim. They have a terrific young core already in the NHL. Perry and Getzlaf are 27. Fowler is 21. Palmieri, Holland, Etem, Sbisa, Ryan, Cogliano, Beleskey, Bonino. This is a young team that is coming of age, and they have a bright future ahead of them. On top of that you have an impressive prospect pool, with some real talent on its way. All of this, and a team that is currently one of the best in the league. I think you'd need to try real hard to not see the promise of a good future, and this with a team that has been very successful since the 04-05 lockout.

Then there's the management aspect. The players absolutely rave about management in Anaheim. There seems to be a real feeling that the organization takes care of their own, and they care about the community around them. Since the Samueli's bought the team, they've bought up the ice rinks and put together hockey programs, and school programs, and they're getting real results. Hockey is on the rise here.

And finally, there's just the appeal of living in California, especially when you're well off financially.

I suspect Detroit has the inside track, but to imply DeKeyser has no real reason to give them serious consideration is just not true. He has many reasons to consider Anaheim, and I don't necessarily think that Detroit can claim to have the same reasons. Different ones, yes, but I don't believe anyone can say Detroit has everything Anaheim can offer.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Are there any undrafted College UFA's after Bozak that stuck with their team and are valuable?

I can't seem to remember any.
Matt Read. Wasn't Conacher out of the NCCA, as well? On mobile so can't look it up easily right now

Old
03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

False. Those are just growing pains. They'll be fine.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
3 rookies on the blue line is kind of scary.
Who says there'd be 3? If DeKeyser signs, I expect Lashoff to be sent down.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Anaheim wouldn't be involved if they weren't going to make a legit pitch, and didn't really want him, and I think you're underrating the draw Anaheim could have. The Ducks have a history of dipping into the NCAA to find undrafted players, and they've had good success doing it. Burke apparently loves the kid, and was going hard after him in Toronto.

Most people don't appreciate the youth aspect for Anaheim. They have a terrific young core already in the NHL. Perry and Getzlaf are 27. Fowler is 21. Palmieri, Holland, Etem, Sbisa, Ryan, Cogliano, Beleskey, Bonino. This is a young team that is coming of age, and they have a bright future ahead of them. On top of that you have an impressive prospect pool, with some real talent on its way. All of this, and a team that is currently one of the best in the league. I think you'd need to try real hard to not see the promise of a good future, and this with a team that has been very successful since the 04-05 lockout.

Then there's the management aspect. The players absolutely rave about management in Anaheim. There seems to be a real feeling that the organization takes care of their own, and they care about the community around them. Since the Samueli's bought the team, they've bought up the ice rinks and put together hockey programs, and school programs, and they're getting real results. Hockey is on the rise here.

And finally, there's just the appeal of living in California, especially when you're well off financially.

I suspect Detroit has the inside track, but to imply DeKeyser has no real reason to give them serious consideration is just not true. He has many reasons to consider Anaheim, and I don't necessarily think that Detroit can claim to have the same reasons. Different ones, yes, but I don't believe anyone can say Detroit has everything Anaheim can offer.
I wasn't saying there's nothing good about Anaheim. I was saying there's nothing especially good for a young defenseman about Anaheim. It looks like Anaheim's D pool is solid and it might not be the easiest place for DeKeyser to find a place to play.

Honestly, I think it's more about Burke's influence than it is about Anaheim's appeal. If things had been a little different, we'd be talking about Toronto and not Anaheim.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Well this is actually kind of true one of the first things Devellano did was sign a bunch of college guys. Probably the most notable in the mid 80s was some guy named Adam Oates.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Asking an Anaheim fan...who would sit in his favor? It looks like you have a good group of 7. Who would you get rid of?

In St. Louis, we have a hole in our top 4 on the left side. Pietro or Shatty one needs a partner. Polak is a right d-man too, not a left. We have Jackman. Russell has been 100% better as a 5-6 guy. Redden has filled a gap, but it is a gaping hole still. Cole has been consistently inconsistent as he has been giving every opportunity to take Russell or Redden's post, but hasn't. DeKeyser could step in here and play, if he is just a shutdown d-man that will cover the forever jumping in the play style of both Shatty and Pietro. If he is the anchor that they project him to be. He can step in for the next 10 years with a 20 minute a night job. Outside of Cole, we have no one that is close to stepping in at the NHL level.

That has to be attractive to DeKeyser... While we have no cups, we are a serious contender again, and will be for a while.
Good question. Allen or Lydman would be my guess. Perhaps Lovejoy. Those three defensemen have been interchangable all season, with none of them really standing out. The core of their blue line is really built around Beauchemin and Fowler, and Souray has been a good addition in that regards too.

I'd be hesitant to say he can jump right in and claim a spot, but at the same time I don't believe we'd be creating a hole by giving him the opportunity to earn a spot. The Ducks would likely still go with the 7 defenseman rotation, with players rotating in and out of the line-up based on play.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Neon Phaneuf
Let the kids play

Can't wait to see him wearing the Winged Wheel.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
I wasn't saying there's nothing good about Anaheim. I was saying there's nothing especially good for a young defenseman about Anaheim. It looks like Anaheim's D pool is solid and it might not be the easiest place for DeKeyser to find a place to play.

Honestly, I think it's more about Burke's influence than it is about Anaheim's appeal. If things had been a little different, we'd be talking about Toronto and not Anaheim.
The Ducks have a solid D, but also have an opening next year that will be given to a young player when Lydman leaves. The majority think it will be between Vatanen and Lindholm, but if he comes here, it will be a three way competition. I'm also not convinced Lydman or Allen will be here after deadline has passed, so there may be a spot for him to compete for, Anaheim won't guarantee anything, this year. Add that to what Souj said, and its more appealing than people think.

I mean he may buy into the Edmonton thing where they all mature as a team together, but Anaheim has pieces spread out from young ages to a little higher (27) so he wouldn't have to go through the growing pains like he would in Edmonton. That is of course if he earns his spot and makes the team.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:07 PM
topchowda

If DD comes to Edmonton hell be groomed by legands such as steve staios, Jason Strudwick and Corey Potter. Hard to pass up

Old
03-25-2013, 02:08 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Who says there'd be 3? If DeKeyser signs, I expect Lashoff to be sent down.
Not if they trade White like the post I quoted was talking about.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think he will go to Detroit because of the agent and his background but Nashville will make a hard core press because he's a left handed shot and I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has a ton of family shipped down to TN by GM.

Closed Thread