HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Well with the trading of Murray, I guess it means SJS, is in a seller mode.

Ryane Clowe anyone?
EEEPS at the prices in this market

, hello no, sell baby sell.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Well with the trading of Murray, I guess it means SJS, is in a seller mode.

Ryane Clowe anyone?
I wouldn't necessarily call them sellers. They're sitting just outside of the playoffs, and had too many defencemen. Demers has been sitting, and I think they even had Burns playing forward for a few games.

This gets them really good value, without actually hurting their roster much at all IMO. Simply makes space, moves an unneeded body, and gets really good value in return.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
So pittsburgh made two fairly big moves in 2 days.

Can we do something now?
Do you really want Nonis to give up a top prospect or two 2nds for a depth player?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I might be in the minority but I love the moves Pens are making. Yes, they have overpaid a bit but they had to. Not many teams are willing to sell and they are poised to make a great run. You got Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal all in their prime and getting players like Murray and Morrow to be good physical depth players is great. Chance at winning a cup is better than holding on to what 2nd rounders might be.

Also, that Staal trade looks pretty great right now. Not only did it allow for the Pens to get a solid cheap and young 3rd line center, they also got a high draft pick and used it to get a defensemen and shore up their farm system.

They have elite players, still some good players in the farm, still have a 1st round pick and they will probably be able to re-sign Murray and Morrow at a cheaper price.
I agree completely. These are the moves a contender makes to give them a better chance at winning.

And the Pens have the prospect depth that they won't miss Morrow or 2 2nd rounders.

03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Macarthur to Preds for Austin Watson then trade for Clowe

Doubt Preds do it but Id love to get Watson

Old
03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
WAIT WHAT???

ANOTHER team doing the crazy, impossible, never happens, moving pending UFAs for picks ,while knee deep in a playoff hunt?

WOWZ i can't believe my insanity has spread to NHL gms.

Wait, i better go check, yup, 1 point out of a PO spot with a game in hand.

What is SJ thinking?

Man 2 2nds for Murrey, i wonder what younger more production guys like Mac and Boz would bring in.
If you don't see the difference between Toronto and San Jose/Dallas, I don't know what to tell you.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call them sellers. They're sitting just outside of the playoffs, and had too many defencemen. Demers has been sitting, and I think they even had Burns playing forward for a few games.

This gets them really good value, without actually hurting their roster much at all IMO. Simply makes space, moves an unneeded body, and gets really good value in return.
The same could apply to Clowe as well, he has been under performing too and I would suspect, they would make a trade, if a good offer was made for him

I think it would be way too much, that they would want for him but couldn't we use him in tonight's game.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sadly Pinto ,your the one that does not get it.
My God.

Murray barely deserved to be in their starting line-up, if we can get two 2nds for Kostka, by all means trade him.

Morrow at this point is a gritty, overpaid 3rd liner who Pittsburgh overpaid for. Dallas has an older team and should be rebuilding.

Both of those deals were no-brainers for the other team.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:

Yeah I would be very surprised if they start a firesale. San Jose has the most barren prospect pool in the league. They had to make this trade.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Ricky Bobby

Murray has been bad this year.

With that type of return I could see Kostka returning a decent mid-round pick and hope Nonis would trade him.

Trade Kostka. Pick up another pick in a deep draft.

Give the guys who will be here over the next few years some NHL exposure in Blacker, Rielly and Holzer.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Deadline deal if we're in the playoffs (or atleast very close)

MacArthur + Bozak
for
Roy + Jagr+ 3rd

Thoughts?

JVR-Roy-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Jagr
Kulemin-Grabovski-Frattin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Looks pretty good to me.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Deadline deal if we're in the playoffs (or atleast very close)

MacArthur + Bozak
for
Roy + Jagr+ 3rd

Thoughts?

JVR-Roy-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Jagr
Kulemin-Grabovski-Frattin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Looks pretty good to me.
why would Dallas trade UFAs for other UFAs who you can argue are downgrades.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Faltorvo

You lads should be doing an article on the great debate.

Are the Leafs as an organization in an position to be letting UFAs like Mac and Bozak walk for nothing.

I always though that was only done by cash strapped teams and ones that had a real shot at the cup.

Dallas who really could use the PO money just moved their Captain, a pending UFA.

SJ a team who's time as a contender is ticking away, just moved a UFA.

Neither team brought back anything that can help them now.

And arguments as to why we should not move ours, could easily be applied to those two teams also.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
My God.

Murray barely deserved to be in their starting line-up, if we can get two 2nds for Kostka, by all means trade him.

Morrow at this point is a gritty, overpaid 3rd liner who Pittsburgh overpaid for. Dallas has an older team and should be rebuilding.

Both of those deals were no-brainers for the other team.
Exactly, my point, the market is red hot for sellers.

All i'm saying is, fish our pending UFAs out there and see what bites.

Can we really afford to leave 1rst and 2nds on the table for guys that are walking for no return?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

Quote:

Can we really afford to leave 1rst and 2nds on the table for guys that are walking for no return?
What pending UFA's do we have that would fetch a first?

I'd rather have playoffs than an extra 2nd round pick.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:40 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
What pending UFA's do we have that would fetch a first?

I'd rather have playoffs than an extra 2nd round pick.
I'd rather sell the UFAs and some vets for picks
let the young guys play and if they make the playoffs great
but just making the playoffs shouldn't be the goal and if this is a sellers market as it appears it is then the leafs should take advantage for the long term benefit

Old
03-25-2013, 01:43 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

You guys are crazy. Absolutely making the playoffs should be the goal. Yeah, we probably won't win the cup but playoff experience for our young team is invaluable. You don't worsen your odds at that for some draft picks.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:43 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Wait, so what your saying is that DN is the type of GM that would hinder the future growth of this franchise moving forward to save his own hide?

He would leave 1rst round picks on the table for pending UFAs to save his own hide?

Great, just great, thats the kind of GM we all want, awesome stuff.

JFJ jr 2.0?
No, im saying that hes a GM whos not going to shoot himself in the foot and trade established NHLers for futures when his team is on pace for it playoff spot in almost a decade.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
416Leafer

Quote:

Didn't you hear? We've set the bar low. Reaching the playoffs this year is worth sacrificing longterm competitive ability for the Stanley Cup.

We're not contenders. Sure, it'd be fun to watch a playoff series. But I'd still prefer to get some legitimate assets that have a chance to become something better than a tweener centre/winger.

Not to mention selling off a couple guys doesn't mean we WILL miss the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
ryno23

Right now I look at this team and I see 2 needs that can be address this trade deadline.

Find a partner for Dion and a backup goalie with experience playoff experience even better.

Finding a partner for Dion would be for me Robidas from Dallas. He is a solid vet that plays a great D game and has a little offensive game to him.

I would not offer our 1st or Rielly. Gunnarson would be someone I would ship the other way as he does hold some value left and Nieuwendyk was here so he knows him well. Add in Ashton or another prospect and bring in Robidas

Toronto needs to make a push for the playoffs for many reasons and even if it means giving a prospect and pick for an older D they need to do it.

Playoff hockey is needed for not only the fans but players to get that taste of playoff atmosphere in Toronto and also provides future UFA that Toronto is again a playoff team and a great place to play.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
No kidding, i can't imagine then what Boz and Mac would bring in this ever heated market.
Probably not as much as a gritty veteran and a giant defenseman.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
You guys are crazy. Absolutely making the playoffs should be the goal. Yeah, we probably won't win the cup but playoff experience for our young team is invaluable. You don't worsen your odds at that for some draft picks.
THANK YOU. People on this board underrate playoff experience so much. Yes, we could sell off UFAs for picks because we aren't Cup contenders, but you can't expect to go from a non-playoff team to a cup contender in one swoop.

You need continual progress and playoff experience for our current roster is just as valuable (if not more valuable) than the picks we get for our upcoming UFAs.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Didn't you hear? We've set the bar low. Reaching the playoffs this year is worth sacrificing longterm competitive ability for the Stanley Cup.

We're not contenders. Sure, it'd be fun to watch a playoff series. But I'd still prefer to get some legitimate assets that have a chance to become something better than a tweener centre/winger.

Not to mention selling off a couple guys doesn't mean we WILL miss the playoffs.
Theres a better chance a 2nd round pick/ B prospect isnt as good ever as Mac/Bozak.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
those two players were expendable pieces that weren't really helping their teams. Mac and Bozak are useful pieces to the Leafs and are helping the team win games.
So what your saying indirectly is that Pitt sent out those future pieces for players that are not getting the job done?

Ones that they want to take into a deep war, a cup run .

HAH! nonsense.

Those teams traded away those players because they are pending UFAs and they see the reality that they are not a team poised for a serious cup run.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:53 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Theres a better chance a 2nd round pick/ B prospect isnt as good ever as Mac/Bozak.
Only 25% of 2nd rounders ever play 1 game in the NHL.

Closed Thread