HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors 2013 Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Maybe he thinks he could match up well in a potential series against Boston.

When you're a team like Pittsburgh, with a healthy Crosby, who might be playing the best hockey of his career, you do what you gotta do. The Pens have won only 1 Cup with Crosby and Malkin. Just shows that for whatever reason, winning can be elusive.
And they won only 2 with Mario, Jagr, Francis, etc. And even those were back to back. You can have a great team year in and year out and not win very often. Even the two teams who many say have had great sustained success for about the last 20 years, Detroit and New Jersey, have (IIRC) four and three cups respectively over that span.

So while on one hand it can advocate to just go full out when you are in Pittsburgh's shoes, it can also advocate to just keep building and hold off on any more large trades from time to time to keep the long-term success going.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:04 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
When you're a team like Pittsburgh, with a healthy Crosby, who might be playing the best hockey of his career, you do what you gotta do. The Pens have won only 1 Cup with Crosby and Malkin. Just shows that for whatever reason, winning can be elusive

And it still comes down to goaltending. Fleury has shown the capability to be very good and then last year, toward the end of the year he had a few off games and hs confidence went south atthe wrong time.
And look how good the Pens were in 2010 and Halak played out of his mind, taking out both the Pens and Caps before the Flyers wore them out.

I like Shero, and was impressed with what we got to see of him during 24/7 HBO and interviews I've read from the Gm meetings. He's smart, his team got embarraed during the playoffs on defense and he drafted 2 top young blue chip prospects and got another via a trade.
I 'm curoius what they'll do about Malkin and LeTang's contracts both being up next year. How can they afford both Malkin and Crosby?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:13 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Wow, a 2nd and a 3rd or two 2nds for Murray. That's quite a bit for a rental who was having an off year. Heck, I'd love to land Jagr or Iggy, but at these inflated price, I'm ok doing nothing or making a minor move on defense.

Still, the talk of trading possibilities is fun.
Lombardi hasn't done nothing at the deadline, at least as the Kings GM. It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, a championship changes things. In years past it was about building. Last year, his job may have been on the line, and the Kings were supposed to be better than what they were at the time of the Carter deal. What does a chance at a 2nd Cup do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
And they won only 2 with Mario, Jagr, Francis, etc. And even those were back to back. You can have a great team year in and year out and not win very often. Even the two teams who many say have had great sustained success for about the last 20 years, Detroit and New Jersey, have (IIRC) four and three cups respectively over that span.

So while on one hand it can advocate to just go full out when you are in Pittsburgh's shoes, it can also advocate to just keep building and hold off on any more large trades from time to time to keep the long-term success going.
That's why the GM's get paid a lot of money.

I'm still not sure if any team can realistically set out to do what Detroit and New Jersey have done, even the Wings and Devils, back when their runs of success were first starting. That kind of success over such a long time, it might be more rare than winning a single Cup.

I've always been a believer in the slow build. Once you get to the top though, then you want to stay there. I'm not saying throw the farm for Iginla or anything like that. Maybe a smaller deal is the right deal.

But I would say that if you have to overpay to some extent for someone like Iginla, when you're the defending Cup champs, with a chance to do it again, and if it's determined that someone like Iginla would give you a better chance to win, I'm not sure you could say a flat out no just because you'd have to give up a little more than you want.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

But I would say that if you have to overpay to some extent for someone like Iginla, when you're the defending Cup champs, with a chance to do it again, and if it's determined that someone like Iginla would give you a better chance to win, I'm not sure you could say a flat out no just because you'd have to give up a little more than you want.
I 100% agree. The real question revolves around the bolded word. Extent. If we are talking iginla for a 1st and something like Trevor Lewis, I'd do it. If we are talking about a 1st, Bernier, Forbort and a 3rd, I wouldn't. The extent to which Iginla improves our team needs to balance the extent to which paying to get him hurts our future.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:18 PM
damacles1156

The important thing for the Pens in these deals , they are not giving up roster players.

I think these are good moves for the Pens.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Two second-round picks for Douglas Murray? Wow. Huge over-payment, but can't blame the Pens for going for it.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:25 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Lombardi hasn't done nothing at the deadline, at least as the Kings GM. It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, a championship changes things. In years past it was about building. Last year, his job may have been on the line, and the Kings were supposed to be better than what they were at the time of the Carter deal. What does a chance at a 2nd Cup do?
I disagree with your thinking that Carter acquisition was due to the result of Lombardi possibly losing his job. DL did what he wanted to do and that's to build a stanley cup champions, simple as that. And I still say Lombardi's looking to make a deal. How big of a deal, we'll soon find out.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:28 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The important thing for the Pens in these deals , they are not giving up roster players.

I think these are good moves for the Pens.
The problem is that the guys they are getting back are barely roster players at this point. Murray was 7th in TOI among Sharks defenseman and his best days are behind him. Morrow has played on the 4th line several times this year for the Stars, and is a broken down shell of his former self. Could these moves work out? Possibly, but they are paying top dollar in order to risk it. Frankly, I think the Pens are feeling the pressure of having Crosby and Malkin and only having won one playoff round since they won the cup in 2009

Old
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
The problem is that the guys they are getting back are barely roster players at this point. Murray was 7th in TOI among Sharks defenseman and his best days are behind him. Morrow has played on the 4th line several times this year for the Stars, and is a broken down shell of his former self. Could these moves work out? Possibly, but they are paying top dollar in order to risk it. Frankly, I think the Pens are feeling the pressure of having Crosby and Malkin and only having won one playoff round since they won the cup in 2009
It still gives the Pens depth, which you need to win Cups.

And with the future of Malkin up in the air. The Pens need to win another.

Nothing wrong with going for it, you guys act like 2nd rounders are top Five picks.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

Nothing wrong with going for it, you guys act like 2nd rounders are top Five picks.
Well, with DL's draft history, we'd probably do better with two 2nd picks than one 1st pick.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

They gave up a very good prospect in Joe Morrow, a 2nd, a conditional pick that will be at least a 3rd, and a 5th for a likely 3rd line winger, 3rd pairing D-man, both of whom are gone after the season, and a 3rd.

That's a lot to give for some depth and all they'll have to show for it is a 3rd after the playoffs.

I like both players, and think both will help out Pittsburgh, but that is an awful lot to pay.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
damacles1156

Also what have GM's said the past few years about the Trade deadline....

You are going to pay a premium.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
They gave up a very good prospect in Joe Morrow, a 2nd, a conditional pick that will be at least a 3rd, and a 5th for a likely 3rd line winger, 3rd pairing D-man, both of whom are gone after the season, and a 3rd.

That's a lot to give for some depth and all they'll have to show for it is a 3rd after the playoffs.

I like both players, and think both will help out Pittsburgh, but that is an awful lot to pay.
It is but that's the price if you want Depth on your roster at the trade deadline.

It would be different if more than half the league was no where near a playoff spot.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Whiskeypete

PIT making a push, but im still not convinced about their goaltending. fleury seems to be back on track and has Vokoun pushing him, but will there be a repeat of last year's playoffs. he was dreadful and couldn't stop anything

Old
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
It is but that's the price if you want Depth on your roster at the trade deadline.

It would be different if more than half the league was no where near a playoff spot.
Exactly. And it's that price which makes people not want to do a trade. Especially since we know this team, as is, can win a cup. They did last year.

Frankly, i'd rather just roll with the same squad again. For every team that loads up at the trade deadline and wins a cup, there is far more teams that over history have just came back with pretty much the same line up and won a cup. Due to the salary cap though, no one's had the chance to just come back with the same team again in likely a decade or more. We do have that chance, and faced with the insane prices of the trade deadline, I'm quite happy to see if familiarity breeds success.

If we get Greene back, I'd be ok with not doing anything else.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
PIT making a push, but im still not convinced about their goaltending. fleury seems to be back on track and has Vokoun pushing him, but will there be a repeat of last year's playoffs. he was dreadful and couldn't stop anything
Pitt has played better defense this year, Philly brings out the worst in Pitt.

Pitt still hasn't replaced Scuds though....Martin is off and on.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Exactly. And it's that price which makes people not want to do a trade. Especially since we know this team, as is, can win a cup. They did last year.

Frankly, i'd rather just roll with the same squad again. For every team that loads up at the trade deadline and wins a cup, there is far more teams that over history have just came back with pretty much the same line up and won a cup. Due to the salary cap though, no one's had the chance to just come back with the same team again in likely a decade or more. We do have that chance, and faced with the insane prices of the trade deadline, I'm quite happy to see if familiarity breeds success.

If we get Greene back, I'd be ok with not doing anything else.
This is how I'm feeling more and more every day.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Scottkmlps

That's it Pittsburgh, keep adding to a team that will make the finals, only to lose to the Kings in 5 games.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

What if we ssend our scraps for picks and make a bigger trade

Old
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
bobafettish*

pens are all in this year.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Who are our scraps, besides Richardson, who I'd be pleased if we got a 5th for.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Hockey Alchemy...

Old
03-25-2013, 04:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
pens are all in this year.
Drawing dead.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
I don't know what scraps we even have. Guys like Richardson, Drewiske are worth 5th and 6th rounders or go on waivers.

The trade market doesn't change with Pittsburgh's deals. I doubt anyone else will pay that much for secondary players.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Drawing dead.
Really?

This same core has already won a cup and lost in the finals another time. A little ridiculous to say they are drawing dead.

Closed Thread