HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

J-P Dumont now a UFA!

Old
08-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 500
Dumont is a dime a dozen player. Nothing special and it would make no sense to bring him in.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
22SteveBegin22

We've got a good enough lineup with adding Samsanov and Johnson and our youngsters coming up (like Kost) that I think we should stay where we are until the season is underway and we can see what we need.

Guys like Dumont are nice to have but you can get them in a trade if you decide you need one during the year... he's not top-flight.

Of course it would carry on our tradition of inheriting french-canadian players from the sabres... Juneau, Audette, Begin......

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Samsonov View Post
I really hope the habs will sign Dumont, he is a true warrior, he may be injury prone, but i like his play.
Dumont had consitency problems all his career

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:11 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Samsonov View Post
ryder is a puck eater, nothing more
No, Ryder like to give the puck to the opposing net, and, believe it or not, it helps us win game

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
I know, but we need one.

Trade: I could see Ryder go, and probably a draft pick as well, but we don't need Dumont. With Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, etc. on their way, we already have potential 20-25 goal scorers. And Dumont @ 2.9M$ per year? Yeah... rrrrright
What was our biggest problem last year? It was our forwards who couldn't score goals. We even had a few games where the defense score more points/goals than our forwards!

We could trade Ryder...but not for a defenseman!

Old
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
_habsfan9

sign em bob i would really like him on the habs

i have liked him ever since he came in the nhl

imagine the line up with him,

ryder-koivu-dumont
samsonov-higgins-kovalev
zhogin-ribeiro-johnson
plekanec-bon-begin

_habsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Beakermania*

Why does everyone want to trade Ryder??

He is the only pure sniper this team has. The only guy on the team who is willing to shoot the puck first and ask questions later. Everyone else is either more of a playmaker, or defensive forward. Ryder led the team in goals for a reason, cause he's not afraid to shoot and he has a great shot.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Shatmat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
because he's french....

And here we go... So what's next? Something about the french medias would be appropriate no?

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

He is the only pure sniper this team has. The only guy on the team who is willing to shoot the puck first and ask questions later. Everyone else is either more of a playmaker, or defensive forward. Ryder led the team in goals for a reason, cause he's not afraid to shoot and he has a great shot.
Because they like to post Trade proposals in the Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk section

Old
08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

I agree.Ryder's job is to score goals,and he does it pretty well.Also he is a right hand shot and we need some because we only have him,Samsonov and Johnson.I would not trade Ryder unless a #1-2 D-men is coming the other way

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
just as i expected . now it will be intresting .
no its not. we don't need a winger and especially one that's enigmatic as dumont.

Quote:
ryder next season with another 65 pts season will get 5 million in arbration no doubt about that . are we willing to pay ryder 5 million a season ? or better yet can we AFFORD HIM at 5 million ?
Are you an arbitrator? 5 million? Gomez got 84 points and awarded 5 million. Briere was a monster in the playoffs and notched over 1 PPG in the reg season and got 5 million...nagy had 56 points in 51 games and awarded 3 million. So if Ryder got 65 points, he'll definitely get 5 million? O_o

Quote:
you could sign jp dumont probally 3 years at 2 million dollars to take his place on the wing .no one's goona give dumont 2.9 million so id expect probally 2 -2.2 million and a 3 yr deal

there are more teams in dire need of wingers than the habs, so its more likely that a team with cap room will give dumont a contract close to his arbitration hearing. L.A for one, teams like the capitals and penguins could use a contract to make the cap minimum. the flames need help on the wings and could use dumont on a 2nd line. there's a host of other teams that need dumont more than we do. I also doubt that dumont would settle for 6 million over 3 years to play in montreal with our tax rates. Experienced top 6 forward getting paid as much as the bottom pairing defensman? Yah, J.P wouldn't settle for that.

Quote:
there is now way we will be able to sign ryder next year to a 3 year deal at 2.5 million
dumont won't do it either, and right now...ryder is better than dumont. So no, we're not going to deal away michael ryder based on a fear of not being able to resign him to a long term contract. When the time comes to talk contract, BG will talk contract. But right now we're looking at icing the most competitive team for THIS season.

Quote:
ryder and (blank) could be packaged " traded " for the big center bob so badly wants .as long as the center you getting back can replace atleast ryder numbers this senerio works very well ...
who is this big center that you speak of? names? brad richards? patrick marleau?

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alouette_19

The Habs doesn't need Dumont.......

We need a big center.....but If Ryder is on for a trade because we all know that Ryder will be very costy next year....than maybe Dumont could be an interesting solution.

Dumont will go to a team like the Hawks who need everything possible to put the puck in the net......&.....Ryder will be trade for a solid 1st rnd pick next year or a really important prospect....that's the fact

Alouette_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatmat View Post
And here we go... So what's next? Something about the french medias would be appropriate no?
ryder>dumont
anson carter (another available UFA)>dumont

is there anyother reason as to why his new status of UFA has stirred up a frenzy of 'lets trade ryder now'?

ryder is a much better player and there's no reason to suggest why we should dump michael so we can replace him for j.p dumont.

Old
08-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Chris Chelios

at 3M per year, Samsonov still the best pick up even if Jp is a french canadian.

Chris Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:30 PM
SuperUnknown

Ryder, Johnson and Kovalev are all better than Dumont. Why would we acquire him to play on our 4th line?

If we're going to try to lock up players, we should try resigning Ryder and/or Johnson, not Dumont.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsider View Post
at 3M per year, Samsonov still the best pick up even if Jp is a french canadian.
I totally agree

Old
08-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:

ryder next season with another 65 pts season will get 5 million in arbration no doubt about that . are we willing to pay ryder 5 million a season ? or better yet can we AFFORD HIM at 5 million ?
A 5M$ arbitration is equal to a veteran player who had 1 pts per game or more of average and who was a dominant player in the playoff (Briere).

Nagy received 3M$ for a 56 pts season in 51 games....

Old
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19 View Post
The Habs doesn't need Dumont.......

We need a big center.....but If Ryder is on for a trade because we all know that Ryder will be very costy next year....than maybe Dumont could be an interesting solution.

Dumont will go to a team like the Hawks who need everything possible to put the puck in the net......&.....Ryder will be trade for a solid 1st rnd pick next year or a really important prospect....that's the fact
what team with depth at the center position is going to trade a center (that would be an improvement over ribeiro's 65 points with dagenais) for ryder and (picks/prospects/souray)? if we want a top flight center via trade, we're going to have to overpay...no ifs and buts and Gainey is not the type to get hosed in a trade.

if ryder prices himself out of montreals budget NEXT season, we'll deal with it THEN.

Old
08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
A 5M$ arbitration is equal to a veteran player who had 1 pts per game or more of average and who was a dominant player in the playoff (Briere).

Nagy received 3M$ for a 56 pts season in 51 games....

NAGY got RIPPED off . only reason was due to injuries .
did you see what he was asking for? 6 MILLION dont expect nagy to return to phx next season .

regardless all you guys sayin he wont get 5 million fine then ....

what's the diffrence can we still afford a 4.5 million dollar ryder?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
What was our biggest problem last year? It was our forwards who couldn't score goals. We even had a few games where the defense score more points/goals than our forwards!

We could trade Ryder...but not for a defenseman!
If I remember well, at the end of the season last year, our forwards were pretty good at scoring. It's hard for a winger to score goals when your center can't set you up decently. Since Carbo (Gainey) is behind the bench, our centers have got their game together.

2.9 M$/year that hasn't scored more than 23 goals a year is clearly overpaying. And like another poster said, lotsa people on this board were whining when we signed Samsonov since he apparently took one rookie's roster spot. Since I don't see Ryder, Higgins, Kovalev and Samsonov going anywhere else this year (unless Ryder is traded, which would surprise me), we don't need a Dumont on the third line (Perez, Pleks and Johnson is a pretty decent line) nor on the fourth (Murray, Bonk, Begin).

Therefore, we don't have any place for such a player. And as I said, with the likes of Kost, Perez, Lats and cie. pushing the veterans, it would even be harder to fit Dumont in.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Doug Mckenzie:

I will sell you my kidney if Ryder does both of:

a) going to arbitration, and
b) is awarded $4,500,000-$5,000,000

If I win this bet, you have to stop with your crazyness

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'll stick with my initial position: If Dumont wants to sign with us for $1.5M, I think we can accomodate him, both in the lineup and without completely sacrificing the last of our cap space. There's value in having depth. As long as you don't overpay ridiculously to get it.

That said, probably somebody will pay more than $1.5M for his services, and I'm fine with that too, they can have him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtnallRocks View Post
I don't see anything wrong with signing a rather big sized quebecois winger who performs in the playoffs. Plus he scored 20 goals in 54 games, maybe offering him a long-term deal that is back-ended would a solution, given the low amount of cap space.

So Pierre Dagenais sounds good to you?

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 04:07 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
NAGY got RIPPED off . only reason was due to injuries .
did you see what he was asking for? 6 MILLION dont expect nagy to return to phx next season .

regardless all you guys sayin he wont get 5 million fine then ....

what's the diffrence can we still afford a 4.5 million dollar ryder?
so nagy got RIPPED off? only reason was due to injuries eh? nagy actually played 3 more games than briere, managed 2 less points but had a much better +/-. So what's the reason now?

Nagy's contract was comparable to what the 2 other best forwards on the coyotes make (comrie at 3 million and doan at 3.3 million). That's the reason he got what he did.
Plus where is this garbage about nagy wanting 6 million?

Ladislav Nagy would like to sign a multi-year contract with the Coyotes. And although talks are in the preliminary stage, Nagy's agent, Matt Keator, said reports that the two sides are $2 million apart are unfounded.

"We haven't gone down the road that far yet," said Keator. Nagy, 26, is a talented winger who is a genuine scoring threat.

But he's also been injury prone, which could hold down the amount he signs for. Last year Nagy made $1.9 million but played in only 51 games. He is reportedly seeking a deal that will pay him around $4 million a season.

but lol at making the difference between 4.5 and 5 million a big thing.

when making a base the arbitrator doesn't just use the contracts of players from outside organizations, he looks at the contracts of the players from the same team as well. So do you think that ryder will be more productive than alex kovalev who makes 4.5 million? Because the only way that he gets rewarded with a contract in this area is if he out produces kovalev and koivu. Is that likely?
Do you have any idea about next seasons cap? There is a good chance that it can exceed this years 44 million, so if ryder receives this massive increasedon't you think the revamped cap limit will be able to handle it?

Old
08-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
You guys dont understand our needs, WE need a guy that pays the price in front of the net : Jean-Pierre Dumont is the guy!

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote