HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Process of Trading Jarome Iginla Has Begun - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 02:13 PM
keslerburrows

vCash: 500
Id do Gaunce, Connauton and a first. It'd be hard to give up 2 of Gaunce, Jensen or Corrado.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
What if no one wants to pay it, does Iggy just walk and you guys are stuck with nothing? There's a possibility that the market could change especially if there's an influx of talent and the value of players descending. Especially in the case of Iggy, since he basically has 2 or 3 teams that he would even consider getting traded to.
Of course the market could change, but Iginla could be convinced to go to more teams as well. We won't know until after the deadline.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:15 PM
madmike77

Quote:
What if no one wants to pay it, does Iggy just walk and you guys are stuck with nothing? There's a possibility that the market could change especially if there's an influx of talent and the value of players descending. Especially in the case of Iggy, since he basically has 2 or 3 teams that he would even consider getting traded to.
Yes - but from a PR perspective it's possibly better for the team if he walks at the end of the year.

If Iginla wants to leave and decides to go at the end of the season, the team can at least spin the fact they tried to build a winner around him and it didn't work out and Iginla chose to head elsewhere.

If they actively trade the face of the franchise for peanuts it's hard to justify.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

You know what Branch Rickey used to say, "Better to trade a player a year too early, than a year too late."

The Flames are too late, maybe by more than a year.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:17 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You know what Branch Rickey used to say, "Better to trade a player a year too early, than a year too late."

The Flames are too late, maybe by more than a year.
We won't know until after the deadline.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Yes, two young prospects. It does not specify every teams two best prospects. It doesn't even say two blue chippers. I could see one of Jensen or Gaunce plus a lesser prospect and a first, but not both. As I said ... ludicrous expectations.
The Morrow trade set the price for Iginla pretty high I think. Joe is arguably better than both Gaunce and Jensen, and Iginla is going to be had for a higher price than Brenden. Vancouver just has a shallow prospect pool, so there aren't a lot of options. Though that is exactly why I can't see Vancouver making this move. Not worth depleting their future for today's Iginla.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
With Pittsburgh setting the tone for the market, Iginla to the Canucks would demand a hefty return. I doubt both teams do it.

Jensen + Gaunce and 1st 2013

or

Jensen + Corrado and 1st 2013.

The rumored price is two prospects and a 1st. Brendan Morrow just landed a top (better than Jensen and Gaunce) prospect in Joe Morrow.
Sorry iggy but our two best prospects for an aging ufa iginla. No thanks

I would do schroader + gaunce for iginla tho

Old
03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Sorry iggy but our two best prospects for an aging ufa iginla. No thanks

I would do schroader + gaunce for iginla tho
If that is the best package we get I would do it, but it sounds like Feaster is trying to get a bidding way going and that most likely gets beat.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
True but the given the market and what it is rumored Feaster is looking for I don't think the Canucks can afford to give up what it takes.

The rumor is Feaster wants 1st + 2 good prospect, given its Van they most likely have to over pay so I think the price would be

Jensen + Gaunce + 1st and that is just to much for Van I think. It essentially depletes their prospect pool.
What Feaster is looking for and what he will ultimately accept could be two different things though. Apparently Pittsburgh thought the asking price was too high and moved on. Regardless if that is correct or not, Feaster is working with a limited trade market given Iginla's NTC.

Ulitmately Feaster doesn't have to move Iginla, but if they are asking him for teams he'd waive to and in the end don't end up moving him I think that reflects negatively on their franchise. I think in the end a 1st and a good prospect or two good prospects is what Iginla will fetch with another smaller piece also in the mix. At that cost, and with the possibility of re-signing Jarome, coupled with the assets recouped in a potential Luongo trade, I think it's something Gillis definitely has to look into.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
The Morrow trade set the price for Iginla pretty high I think. Joe is arguably better than both Gaunce and Jensen, and Iginla is going to be had for a higher price than Brenden. Vancouver just has a shallow prospect pool, so there aren't a lot of options. Though that is exactly why I can't see Vancouver making this move. Not worth depleting their future for today's Iginla.
There is still a limited market for Iginla, and I just don't think Calgary is going to be able to pump up the asking price to the extent that some team (even aside from Vancouver) is going to pay that much. Well I'd agree Iginla is worth more than Morrow I don't think that necessarily means he's going to score that much more in assets due to the fact the bidding will be limited by his movement clause. The Flames can always just keep Iginla.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:35 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
There is still a limited market for Iginla, and I just don't think Calgary is going to be able to pump up the asking price to the extent that some team (even aside from Vancouver) is going to pay that much. Well I'd agree Iginla is worth more than Morrow I don't think that necessarily means he's going to score that much more in assets due to the fact the bidding will be limited by his movement clause. The Flames can always just keep Iginla.
Morrow also had a NTC and his bidding war was between Boston and Pitts. Calgary has double that many teams bidding on Iginla at least there could every easily be an overpayment.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
What Feaster is looking for and what he will ultimately accept could be two different things though. Apparently Pittsburgh thought the asking price was too high and moved on. Regardless if that is correct or not, Feaster is working with a limited trade market given Iginla's NTC.

Ulitmately Feaster doesn't have to move Iginla, but if they are asking him for teams he'd waive to and in the end don't end up moving him I think that reflects negatively on their franchise. I think in the end a 1st and a good prospect or two good prospects is what Iginla will fetch with another smaller piece also in the mix. At that cost, and with the possibility of re-signing Jarome, coupled with the assets recouped in a potential Luongo trade, I think it's something Gillis definitely has to look into.
I call BS, every blog and tweet I have seen says Pitts is still in on Iginla and Morrow was just another player they wanted to add. Again I didn't say they wouldn't accept less than what they are asking for but Van has to overpay.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWeb View Post
I cant believe The Flames would allow Feaster to make an Iginla, i highly doubt he will be employed much longer
Lol.

How about if Feaster does nothing and Iggy walks at the end of the season. Is that better???

Old
03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Lol.

How about if Feaster does nothing and Iggy walks at the end of the season. Is that better???
Why do you assume he will walk for sure at the end of the year? Its possible but he could also re-sign. Either way I think he is gone at the deadline just seems strange.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Morrow also had a NTC and his bidding war was between Boston and Pitts. Calgary has double that many teams bidding on Iginla at least there could every easily be an overpayment.
Yeah he did, but Iginla seems a lot more set on deciding where exactly he ends up...not to mention the price is looking way higher, which changes the entire dynamic. I'd actually take Pittsburgh off the list with their recent acquisitions, leaving probably LA, Chicago, Boston, and Vancouver. I don't see LA overpaying and Boston wouldn't even match the price on Morrow so I doubt they suddenly open up the prospect treasure chest. Chicago is the one team I could see really going all out with an offer out of the four listed.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Of course the market could change, but Iginla could be convinced to go to more teams as well. We won't know until after the deadline.
More likely that Iginla forces a trade than to have him expand his list of teams.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Frankly, having seen Morrow play the last couple of years I don't see it.

Maybe it was a Storage Wars kind of thing. Boston just keeps saying, "YUUUUPPP!!" until they felt like they had driven the price up high enough on the Pens.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
SpezDispenser

Khoklachev + Spooner + 1st? Is that enough? I would expect Boston to make a hard push.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Khoklachev + Spooner + 1st? Is that enough? I would expect Boston to make a hard push.
I'm make that deal no doubt.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
DBU
In A Dream

Quote:
Deal.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Too much from the Bruins point of view.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Why do you assume he will walk for sure at the end of the year? Its possible but he could also re-sign. Either way I think he is gone at the deadline just seems strange.
Because I think he'd like one more shot at the cup and I don't see it happening with calgary especially with the new re-alignment.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
Spooner + 1st would be the high value pieces I'd really want I dont think we get anything near Koho after that

What I'd like to see for both teams...

Iginla
Stempniak

for

Spooner
Knight/Krug
Cap/Contract Dump
1st 2013

But I'm not sure what it would take to have Spooner put on the table

Old
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

No - they can't afford to trade him for a poor package.

You have to look at how it gets presented to fans. If Iginla is a UFA and leaves at the end of the season that's on Iginla - completely his own choice. Sucks the Flames get nothing for him, but they can say they tried to deal him, didn't get a good package and then tried to keep him.

If the Flames trade Iginla for next to nothing, there's no good way to sell that to fans.

If the offers are all poor they really are better off just letting him walk for nothing.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
madmike77

Quote:
More likely that Iginla forces a trade than to have him expand his list of teams.
No - if the only deal available is a poor deal it's more likely he remains a Flame and he walks at the end of the year (if he wants to).

Like I've said before the franchise cannot trade him for nothing - it will not look good at all.

Closed Thread