HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Earth Rocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post

They have a better chance of making the playoffs without Bozak
Explain to me how trading him for picks makes us better today?

Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Seems the penguins are very serious about getting to the cups this year. If morrow is gone from their pool I wonder if we can get a guy like Bennett (soo much skill but a project) or Pouliot (untapped potential) from them.

Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan10 View Post
lebrun thinks sjs might trade thorton this summer
They better trade a hell of a lot more than Thornton or they're going to be screwed for the next 5 - 10 years.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Kadri and Grabo need more minutes as a 1-2 punch down the middle in our top6

Bozak is a 3rd/4th line grinder on any contender and IMO is not any better than McClement.

Sell high plus we have our players playing their natural positions is the key to success!

Grabo as a 3rd line shutdown center will never work.
Do you watch the games? Grabo hasn't been the shutdown centre in 2 weeks. Carlyle has been rolling all 3 lines effectively and guess what? We are winning games and in a playoff spot.

03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
I don't think you get it...

The Leafs are a better team without Bozak NOW

Kadri is a huge upgrade over Bozak in the #1 spot

Grabo has thrived in the #2 spot

McClement is an upgrade over Grabo as a 3rd line shutdown center

It's not about the picks/prospects it's about giving our team the best chance to win! AND this is without Bozak!

The picks/prospects are a bonus
Another short sighted post, with nothing to substantiate that Kadri will excell as the number 1 center. It is also quite likely that if that were to happen and Kadri failed, you would be the first to moan and complain. Kadri is having a great year, but he is not playing against the other teams top checkers night in night out. He's developing nicely, let him take his time. Bozak is much better player that many here give him credit for. It's likely there will be no movement made by the Leafs this year with the excpetion of Connolly. They are in the playoff race, playing well and have depth, no way Nonis trades his important players away without replacing them with better players today. Amazing how little common sense is used here.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
Saying it over and over again doesn't make it any more true.

IF the leafs can get another centre to play with Kessel, then you can trade Bozak.

What happens if we trade Bozak and Grabovski gets injured. Then we are rolling McClement as our #2? What if Kadri gets injured?
What if Crosby get another concussion or Malkin breaks his leg????

"What if's" are BS!

Kadri and Grabo are better than Bozak. Bozak and McClement are equal.

IF an injury happens then we bring up Colborne or Connolly.

Still a better option than Bozak

Old
03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownieLeafer View Post
It doesnt; not one bit. Clearly some here are more excited about getting picks that may or may not pan out in 4 years than making the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Kbs

Quote:
What if Crosby get another concussion or Malkin breaks his leg????

"What if's" are BS!

Kadri and Grabo are better than Bozak. Bozak and McClement are equal.

IF an injury happens then we bring up Colborne or Connolly.

Still a better option than Bozak
What? If Connolly was a better option than why didn't Bozak get traded to make room for Connolly?

They traded Lombardi to clear up a roster spot, why didn't they do that with Bozak at the beginning of the year?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Seems the penguins are very serious about getting to the cups this year. If morrow is gone from their pool I wonder if we can get a guy like Bennett (soo much skill but a project) or Pouliot (untapped potential) from them.
Hah, I don't think Shero is done trading either.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Another short sighted post, with nothing to substantiate that Kadri will excell as the number 1 center. It is also quite likely that if that were to happen and Kadri failed, you would be the first to moan and complain. Kadri is having a great year, but he is not playing against the other teams top checkers night in night out. He's developing nicely, let him take his time. Bozak is much better player that many here give him credit for. It's likely there will be no movement made by the Leafs this year with the excpetion of Connolly. They are in the playoff race, playing well and have depth, no way Nonis trades his important players away without replacing them with better players today. Amazing how little common sense is used here.
Actually there is plenty of common sense... U just need to know hockey to understand it!

How many different line mates has Kadri had this year? Did he miss a beat with any of them? NO!

FFS he was thriving with Orr on his wing for a bit lol

Kadri is a star and if we want to make the playoffs we need to give him the keys!

Old
03-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownieLeafer View Post
Kadri will get more ice time as the #1 and is an upgrade over Bozak. Kadri also adapt really well with new wingers as we have seen a bunch of times this year.

Grabo will play his natural #2 spot where he has thrived in the past and will get more ice time.

McClement is a better option as a 3rd line shutdown center over Grabo.

Everyone is in their natural positions.

Hence better NOW than with Bozak.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:07 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Actually there is plenty of common sense... U just need to know hockey to understand it!

How many different line mates has Kadri had this year? Did he miss a beat with any of them? NO!

FFS he was thriving with Orr on his wing for a bit lol

Kadri is a star and if we want to make the playoffs we need to give him the keys!
Must be this instant gratification generation I hear so much about. Clearly you havent noticed that Kadri is not up against the other teams best checkers night in and night out. There is an old saying that holds true here, and that is putting people in positions to succeed. Taking away Bozak hurts the team, and doesnt help the team, that is commons sense. The team is playing well, and Kadri is developing well. Getting rid of one of our best two way forwards for picks makes the team worse while competing for the playoffs, in return for picks is beyond ridiculous.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Do people know how hard it is to get 50 point players from 2nd round?

Seriously...most 2nd round picks never see the NHL.

This place has such a bad fascination with picks.

Cry when the Leafs miss the playoffs, cry when the Leafs don't "tank" right, cry when the Leafs don't acquire players, cry when the Leafs don't sell players.

Cry Nation.

You do NOT become contenders over night.

Also, why stockpile picks when all of you armchair GM's will say "NOOOOO! We should have picked _____," then go on to criticize everything the Leafs do, and after a year make a thread about:

"Who should we have picked instead of _____?"
Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci all 2nds, Marchand 3rd. All drafted from 03-06.

Letang (3rd), Gologiski (2nd). Added in back to back drafts.

Keith, Crawford, Bolland all 2nds. Hjalmarrson 4th. Byfulgien 8th. Brouwer 7th. All added from 02-05.

I'd say hitting homeruns on picks outside the 1st round is pretty darn important.

The only way to do that is to have the picks to draft with in the 1st place.

Fans on this message board want to talk about how good our prospect pool is but for a bottom end team we haven't been drafting often enough to increase the odds that we hit homeruns. Our prospect is also ranked in the bottom half of all teams by scouts (not biased Leaf fans).

Toronto isn't a legitimate contender yet but we will be in the next few seasons. This is the last year we have a chance to cash in on trading pending UFAs who are replaceable in Bozak and CMac.

Trade them at a high value point and take a chance we can hit a homerun with some picks who can then come into the lineup on cheap contracts when we need them.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Both Bozak and Macarthur are 27 years old, and will be able to contribute to this team for the foreseeable future. If we plan on contending within the next 2 - 5 years, these players can still be useful pieces for us.

Morrow is 34, Murray is 33. These guys don't fit into a team that doesn't plan on competing for the cup within the next season or two, but players like Bozak and Macarthur can.

If we can resign them to a reasonable deal I would be glad to keep them (especially Bozak, who I think can be a fantastic third line C). That being said, with the value being tossed around for players like Murray and Morrow I'd have to wonder what type of value a guy like Macarthur could fetch for us (probably a late first round pick from a contender with the way the market is shaping up).

I'd still prefer for us to essentially stand pat at this deadline and try and keep our guys. I really, really want to see some maple leafs playoff hockey.
As much as I though it wasn't possible earlier in the year; I have a feeling Nonis is going to try to re-sign Mac.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Hah, I don't think Shero is done trading either.
Personally I thought they weren't going to move Morrow at all and drafted his D partner Pouliot due to that but man...now he's gone I wonder if we can rob him somehow.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
jme009
No.17

Idealistically...

In my ideal world for the leafs trade deadline they improve 3 or 4 moves...

1. Acquire a Quality veteran goalie
Someone like a Miller would be unreal dream scenerio
Kipprusoff would be Great
realistically looking at: Nabokov(NYI), Theodore(FLR), Smith(PHX), or even a Giguere(ANA)...hell he's gotta cup
and if Dallas decides to blow the Organization up, and full rebuild I wouldn't be against pursuing Kari Lehtonen

2. Acquire a Solid Veteran Top 6/9 F
Dream would be Iginla...
I am thinking Jagr... Put him Kadri and either of Kulimen/JVR/Lupul

3. Acquire that number 1 C
It's been talked to death....all I will say is decide between Bozak/Grabo and deal the other. whether in the deal for the #1 or not.

4. If Possible acquire a Defensive D-man who can play top minutes alongside Phaneuf.
Don't care about if he is a Top 2. Just get a top 4 D-man who could handle a few more minutes.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
You lads should be doing an article on the great debate.

Are the Leafs as an organization in an position to be letting UFAs like Mac and Bozak walk for nothing.I always though that was only done by cash strapped teams and ones that had a real shot at the cup.

Dallas who really could use the PO money just moved their Captain, a pending UFA.

SJ a team who's time as a contender is ticking away, just moved a UFA.

Neither team brought back anything that can help them now.

And arguments as to why we should not move ours, could easily be applied to those two teams also.
Just about every single team over the years have let their UFA's walk for nothing; not sure what the point is.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Must be this instant gratification generation I hear so much about. Clearly you havent noticed that Kadri is not up against the other teams best checkers night in and night out. There is an old saying that holds true here, and that is putting people in positions to succeed. Taking away Bozak hurts the team, and doesnt help the team, that is commons sense. The team is playing well, and Kadri is developing well. Getting rid of one of our best two way forwards for picks makes the team worse while competing for the playoffs, in return for picks is beyond ridiculous.
Clearly you haven't noticed that Kadri hasn't been playing with elite wingers... The one game he played with Lupul they were magic!

Putting him in a position to succeed with a world class sniper in Kessel can only make him better.

Riding ourselves of Bozak will open the door for Grabo and Kadri to excel in a top 6 role AND give more ice to McClement in a 3rd line center role.

McClement has been great for us and IMO he will be far more effective than Grabo in a shutdown role.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Just about every single team over the years have let their UFA's walk for nothing; not sure what the point is.
Yep no sense in overpaying it just causes decent amongst players and they all start pointing when their deal expires.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci all 2nds, Marchand 3rd. All drafted from 03-06.

Letang (3rd), Gologiski (2nd). Added in back to back drafts.

Keith, Crawford, Bolland all 2nds. Hjalmarrson 4th. Byfulgien 8th. Brouwer 7th. All added from 02-05.

I'd say hitting homeruns on picks outside the 1st round is pretty darn important.

The only way to do that is to have the picks to draft with in the 1st place.

Fans on this message board want to talk about how good our prospect pool is but for a bottom end team we haven't been drafting often enough to increase the odds that we hit homeruns. Our prospect is also ranked in the bottom half of all teams by scouts (not biased Leaf fans).

Toronto isn't a legitimate contender yet but we will be in the next few seasons. This is the last year we have a chance to cash in on trading pending UFAs who are replaceable in Bozak and CMac.

Trade them at a high value point and take a chance we can hit a homerun with some picks who can then come into the lineup on cheap contracts when we need them.
Eriksson 2nd

Matt Carle 2nd

Shea Weber 2nd

Corey Crawford 2nd

Jimmy Howard 2nd

David Backes 2nd

Hudler 2nd

Bolland 2nd

Booth 2nd

Grossman 2nd

Dubinsky 2nd

James Neil 2nd

Pavelec 2nd

Stastny 2nd

And thats just between 2002/05 drafts along with some names you listed.

Kuli 2nd

Seabrook 2nd

Carle 2nd

PK Subban 2nd

Simmonds 2nd

Markstrom 2nd

Justin Shultz 2nd

Stepan 2nd

Ryan O'Reilly 2nd

Ya 2nd round has been pretty dry over the last 10 years.

Dang my bad, that was only 7 draft seasons.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Kadri will get more ice time as the #1 and is an upgrade over Bozak. Kadri also adapt really well with new wingers as we have seen a bunch of times this year.

Grabo will play his natural #2 spot where he has thrived in the past and will get more ice time.

McClement is a better option as a 3rd line shutdown center over Grabo.

Everyone is in their natural positions.

Hence better NOW than with Bozak.
Also, who picks up the 2:00 mins per game that Bozak contributes to the 5th best PK in the league? Who takes the majority of the faceoffs and gives us a 54%?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Eriksson 2nd

Matt Carle 2nd

Shea Weber 2nd

Corey Crawford 2nd

Jimmy Howard 2nd

David Backes 2nd

Hudler 2nd

Bolland 2nd

Booth 2nd

Grossman 2nd

Dubinsky 2nd

James Neil 2nd

Pavelec 2nd

Stastny 2nd

Kuli 2nd

Seabrook 2nd

Carle 2nd

PK Subban 2nd

Simmonds 2nd

Markstrom 2nd

Justin Shultz 2nd

Stepan 2nd

Ryan O'Reilly 2nd

Now name the 200 players drafted in the 2nd round who haven't made a significant impact in the NHL.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
ChuckWoods

Take it for what it is worth as per usual gents, but it sounds as if Paul Stastny's injury wont exactly be of the brightest outcomes for him or any team interested.

With that said, we may see the Leafs hold off on moving assets until the official press release of Paul's injury extent as some of those potential assets that Sherman may have or may not have been interested in could be used elsewhere.

Allegedly, or rumor has it that Derek Roy is a very real possibility and that Mikka Kipprusoff is also a very realistic possibility if he comes with a clean bill of health.

The fact that health may be a necessity may scare off a lot of teams considering that is very much a question mark at this point.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Eriksson 2nd

Matt Carle 2nd

Shea Weber 2nd

Corey Crawford 2nd

Jimmy Howard 2nd

David Backes 2nd

Hudler 2nd

Bolland 2nd

Booth 2nd

Grossman 2nd

Dubinsky 2nd

James Neil 2nd

Pavelec 2nd

Stastny 2nd

Kuli 2nd

Seabrook 2nd

Carle 2nd

PK Subban 2nd

Simmonds 2nd

Markstrom 2nd

Justin Shultz 2nd

Stepan 2nd

Ryan O'Reilly 2nd

Based on your sample size of 7 draft seasons which is 210 second round draft picks. You listed 23 players that you find notable.

Sooo, you're saying we have an 11% chance of getting one of those players in the second round? Wow some great chances right there.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Take it for what it is worth as per usual gents, but it sounds as if Paul Stastny's injury wont exactly be of the brightest outcomes for him or any team interested.

With that said, we may see the Leafs hold off on moving assets until the official press release of Paul's injury extent as some of those potential assets that Sherman may have or may not have been interested in could be used elsewhere.

Allegedly, or rumor has it that Derek Roy is a very real possibility and that Mikka Kipprusoff is also a very realistic possibility if he comes with a clean bill of health.

The fact that health may be a necessity may scare off a lot of teams considering that is very much a question mark at this point.
Is the health factor in regards to Kipper?

Closed Thread