Old
03-25-2013, 03:04 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Malcom Subaan ahead of John Gibson?

John Gibson should be on the next installment, not the fringe prospects.

Oh, just winning medals, setting records, breaking national hearts, shutting out teams in the playoffs coming after injury.

Still not an upper division prospect. Hilarious that if he didn't have such a great year he wouldn't have even cracked the top 50. THN has him ranked 11th.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Malcom Subaan ahead of John Gibson?

it took forever for people to realize he was better than Jack Campbell to

Old
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
it took forever for people to realize he was better than Jack Campbell to
First round picks versus second round pick. Only explanation I have.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Exit Dose

I'm just glad that Gibson made the list. Hopefully, we can say the same for Lindholm.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
First round picks versus second round pick. Only explanation I have.
But that's weird to me too. Sure Gibson dropped at the drat, but I think he was was the generally thought of being the best in his draft class and also expected to go near the first round.

Subban's first year post-draft hasn't really been much better than Gibson's first year.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
John Gibson should be on the next installment, not the fringe prospects.

Oh, just winning medals, setting records, breaking national hearts, shutting out teams in the playoffs coming after injury.

Still not an upper division prospect. Hilarious that if he didn't have such a great year he wouldn't have even cracked the top 50. THN has him ranked 11th.
And they wrote this about Gibson "The difference between Team USA and the rest of the field at the 2013 WJC was John Gibson. An imposing presence in net, Gibson earnd the tournament's MVP award and was also named the Best Goaltender."

So that qualifies as fringe player and below Subban? I don't think they believe in what they write.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:03 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
But that's weird to me too. Sure Gibson dropped at the drat, but I think he was was the generally thought of being the best in his draft class and also expected to go near the first round.

Subban's first year post-draft hasn't really been much better than Gibson's first year.
It's weird no doubt, but it took definitive evidence to finally say Gibson<Campbell and since Subban is close statistically Subban>Gibson because of where each was drafted I'm guessing.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Exit Dose

I don't agree with Subban being put in over Gibson, but it really isn't crazy from the games I've seen.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:13 AM
AngelDuck

Subban has good athleticism, but from what I've seen of the two, Gibson is clearly more technically sound. Gibson is also bigger and a great athlete in his own right. Granted Subban is a year (?) younger, but still, Gibson is better than Subban right now and I think the WJC just reinforced that.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Exit Dose

Maybe at the WJCs, but that's a pretty small sample size. Subban has been spectacular at the OHL level, on a team that was far worse. When you factor in the age difference, it isn't crazy to project him a little higher. It's not like Subban is thirty spots ahead of Gibson or anything.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Exit Dose

The Whalers won tonight, putting them up 3-0 in their series. Sarault will join Norfolk with one more loss.

Rakell: 2g
Sarault: 1a

Helgesen's team lost, putting them at 2-1 in their series.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

How would you rate our prospects according to the HF scale?
(HF ratings in parenthesis)

Goalies:
John Gibson (7.5C) - 8.0C
Igor Bobkov (7.0D) - 6.5C
Frederik Andersen (6.5D) - 7.0C
Marco Cousineau (6.0D) - 5.0D

Defensemen:
Hampus Lindholm (7.5C) - 7.5C
Sami Vatanen (7.5C) - 7.5D
Andy Welinski (7.0C) - 7.0C
Mat Clark (6.5C) - 6.0C
Tim Heed (6.5D) - 6.0D

Right Wing:
Kyle Palmieri (8.0B) - 8.0B
Emerson Etem (8.0C) - 8.5C
Rickard Rakell (7.5C) - 8.0C
Chris Wagner (7.0D) - 7.0C

Left Wing:
Devante Smith-Pelly (7.0B) - 7.5C
Max Friberg (7.0C) - 7.5D

Centers:
Peter Holland (7.5C) - 8.0C
William Karlsson (7.5C) - 7.5C
Nicolas Kerdiles (7.0C) - 7.5C
Kevin Roy (7.0D) - 7.5D

Old
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I think some of your ratings are, uh, pretty generous.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
I'd put lindholm at an 8.0 B personally

Old
03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I'd put lindholm at an 8.0 B personally
I was thinking that, or possibly 8.5D. His upside is pretty impressive.

I also think there are way too many 8.0 players on that list, and Etem at 8.5C is a little shocking.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Etem (as I see him) has a x-factor in his amazing speed. Combining this with his record breaking goal scoring in juniors, and I think he has potential to be a top6 player (perhaps even top line in a few years). But he's still a C, while Palmieri which seems to be a sure thing in top6 is a B.

Why should Lindholm get a 8.5D rating? If I understand the ratings correctly, this means that he will either be a top pairing D, or he will probably bust and end up in the minors/Europe. In my mind, this rating seems more in order for Vatanen. Although he should max be at 8.0D probably...

Last edited by quentez: 03-26-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Why should Lindholm get a 8.5D rating? If I understand the ratings correctly, this means that he will either be a top pairing D, or he will probably bust and end up in the minors/Europe. In my mind, this rating seems more in order for Vatanen. Although he should max be at 8.0D probably...
That's not exactly how the rankings work. A "lower" letter just means that if the player does not reach his full potential, that the range for where he is expected to end up in that scenario is a little broader. A "C" says he would end up two ratings lower than his max potential. If you have Lindholm at 8.5 (which is right between "elite" and "no.2 defenseman"), a "C" would mean that the lowest he could fall is to 6.5, which would be between #3 and #6 defenseman. An 8.5D still says that he'd end up in the NHL if everything goes as bad as it possibly could, between a#5 and #7 defenseman. I think that's tough to virtually guarantee for almost anyone. I would agree with an 8.5D for Lindholm. The upside is barely capped (with him actually getting close a Lidstrom/Pronger/etc elite defenseman being admittedly limited) and while the downside is fairly limited, it just tends to be accounted for in the letter-rating, because the inherent guarantee that comes with an 8.5C ranking is hard to give to almost anyone.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Hockey Duckie

I agree with the goalie ratings you updated, but everything else I'll go with HF save Lindholm... and to a smaller extent Kerdiles, moving up a letter; not point rating. There's just not enough of a sample to project right now. Okay, there's a book on DSP and maybe he drops in letter grade.

Also, HF has players in wrong positions pertaining to our org. Rakell and Wagner are centers. Kerdiles and Roy are LW's. So... ehhhh...

Old
03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
I agree with the goalie ratings you updated, but everything else I'll go with HF save Lindholm... and to a smaller extent Kerdiles, moving up a letter; not point rating. There's just not enough of a sample to project right now. Okay, there's a book on DSP and maybe he drops in letter grade.

Also, HF has players in wrong positions pertaining to our org. Rakell and Wagner are centers. Kerdiles and Roy are LW's. So... ehhhh...
If I gave HF's ratings(or any publications ratings for that matter) serious consideration I would be infuriated. Just ignore them, they mean nothing anyway.

I know I'm adding nothing to the conversation, I just hate to see fellow fans waste time on these things when they mean nothing pertaining to how X player fits into the franchise as a whole.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:08 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I always thought there should be a 3 part rating system. No letters to confuse it.

An upper level potential
A likely potential
A lower level potential

Basically I'm asking for the point and the error bars. But they don't really mean much anyways so whatever.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Force951

Palmieri at 28.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spect-rankings

Old
03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Paul4587

Good to see he's getting some recognition. I think he's almost a sure thing to be a 20+ goal scorer in the league with the potential to hit 30+. Definitely our best forward prospect IMO (although a couple of other guys might have higher upside).

The bad thing is - I doubt Lindholm cracks the top 20, especially when guys like Brodin have already been ranked. Pretty typical of our guys to not get recognition though unless they tear up major juniors like Etem did.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Good to see he's getting some recognition. I think he's almost a sure thing to be a 20+ goal scorer in the league with the potential to hit 30+. Definitely our best forward prospect IMO (although a couple of other guys might have higher upside).

The bad thing is - I doubt Lindholm cracks the top 20, especially when guys like Brodin have already been ranked. Pretty typical of our guys to not get recognition though unless they tear up major juniors like Etem did.
Yeah, he's either getting some major love or he's getting the Anaheim Shun. Where was he in the fall rankings?

Old
03-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post

I`m sure Wild fans are surprised to see Brodin at 21 also. And i think he should be higher.

If Brodin is only few spots higher than Palmieri, i`m sure they make those lists depending on age (or experience in professional leagues). Brodin will hold much much more value than Palms after few years.

Closed Thread