HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Can Cheechoo get back to form with the Oilers

Old
02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
Where does one play him? He is a RW, so in Eberle's place? Hemsky? Yakupov is a RW - and the latest #1 pick - and the team is playing him on the LW. How is Cheechoo defensively - to be a 'role' player on the bottom six?

The Oilers are lacking effective team composition (for lack of a better way to say it), will Cheechoo help this?

It might sound odd to say but winning is not all about points, its about team roles and players playing their role (and having players that suit their roles). Its a team game. I would love to see Cheechoo make it back into the NHL, and great if the team is the Oil - but only if it makes sense from the team standpoint.

Points are meaningless if they do not equate to wins. And teams win games, not point streaks. Has Cheechoo a role to play (a role he can effectively play) on the Oil? If so, sign him... if not, I wish him luck on his future endeavors.
Though I agree roles are important right now the role we seem to be missing is someone to score goals. Letting in 2 goals per game isn't that bad for a bottom team. Scoring 1 goal (even 2), taking hardly any shots, playing in our end most of the time. That is offensive suck.

Pitch some pluggers and failures, bench some talent, reward the good. 40 shots a game. Let the fire wagon hockey out even if we lose. I'd rather lose 6-5 than 2-1. For me after all the years of bad make the game entertaining. If we lose and Yak gets a hat trick. If we lose and Nuge gets 5 points. If we lose and Gagner gets in a wicked scrap with a Sedin sister. That hockey yesterday was boring. Hard to stay awake.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Vagabond

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Though I agree roles are important right now the role we seem to be missing is someone to score goals. Letting in 2 goals per game isn't that bad for a bottom team. Scoring 1 goal (even 2), taking hardly any shots, playing in our end most of the time. That is offensive suck.

Pitch some pluggers and failures, bench some talent, reward the good. 40 shots a game. Let the fire wagon hockey out even if we lose. I'd rather lose 6-5 than 2-1. For me after all the years of bad make the game entertaining. If we lose and Yak gets a hat trick. If we lose and Nuge gets 5 points. If we lose and Gagner gets in a wicked scrap with a Sedin sister. That hockey yesterday was boring. Hard to stay awake.

I love this post! This team has the players for exactly what you've suggested. Krueger should realize that.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

One last rant. If the players score a ton they have better trade value. Nobody wants Eberle for his +-. Nobody wants Yak because he blocks shots. Look at Gagner, best points on the team and I would bet his value to trade is as high as it ever has been. Hemsky needs points and we would get a topish D for him.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Joe Thornton isnt on the team and he can't skate anymore.

someone on the actual Oilers team has to start scoring 5-on-5, not Cargo Cult/praying for the resurrection of Jonathan Cheechoo Christ

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:51 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
One last rant. If the players score a ton they have better trade value. Nobody wants Eberle for his +-. Nobody wants Yak because he blocks shots. Look at Gagner, best points on the team and I would bet his value to trade is as high as it ever has been. Hemsky needs points and we would get a topish D for him.
teams have scouts and also know that these guys past play and tendencies exist. just because they score for a short sample size of time doesnt necessarily mean the Nintendo is Tricked into Trading for them.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:29 PM
zeus3007*

Cheechoo`s bum knee made him too slow to get in place for Joe Thornton`s gravy passes. If you can`t score when playing with Joe Thornton, you can`t score in the NHL at all. And he never had anything else going for him. Hopefully he makes a nice AHL career for himself, but as an NHLer, Jonathan Cheechoo is completely finished.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:17 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Cheechoo`s bum knee made him too slow to get in place for Joe Thornton`s gravy passes. If you can`t score when playing with Joe Thornton, you can`t score in the NHL at all. And he never had anything else going for him. Hopefully he makes a nice AHL career for himself, but as an NHLer, Jonathan Cheechoo is completely finished.
If he continues to get points after over a PPG, then I see no reason not to re-evaluate him at the NHL level if an injury opens up a spot.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:59 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
time for a call-up

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:06 AM
puckfan13

No he can't, the NHL is a skating game. The AHL is the AHL. Don't fool yourselves. This team needs NHL players.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:16 AM
grego

call him up for a game. So they can put up signs saying welcome back Cheechoo.

With the current Oilers play who cares if he results in an extra goal or 2 against. We are likely going to lose anyways, we may as well pretend like there is some reason to watch the game

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
No he can't, the NHL is a skating game. The AHL is the AHL. Don't fool yourselves. This team needs NHL players.
Have you watched the Oilers lately? When you look that bad, I would think that you would be open for any change, and quite honestly a little desperate. I'd be welcome with any player who puts forth effort, as these current NHL players seem to be dropping the ball on that one.

Cheechoo has came back to earth lately though. However, Brett Clark has looked good for the most part...

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:12 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Anybody with a reason to play a full game would help right now.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:22 AM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Jonathan Cheechoo would probably have one thing these Oilers don't have. Hunger. Although it would be sucked out of him after one game.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:08 AM
Mentallydull

This is kind of intriguing to me, actually.

At the very worst let him go to the training camp and see how he does. If he can't keep up then at least you can say we gave him a shot.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:46 AM
LaGu

Please read previous posts before starting this discussion up again.

Cheechoo cannot be called up. He is not an Edmonton player, he is signed by the OKC, not by the Oilers.

If you want him here then you need to rephrase to "Oilers need to offer Cheechoo a contract".

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:22 PM
BleedingOil

we would need to sign him and he'd have to clear waivers

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
I sure hope this entire thread is filled with sarcastic replies.

He couldn't "get back to form" with Ottawa, St.Louis, Dallas, or San Jose...so what makes anyone think he will ever be like the player he was for those 2 seasons agan?

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:30 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I was waiting for this thread to get bumped

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
When I looked up the meaning of "desperation" on dictionary.com it took me to this thread. Weird.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
This is kind of intriguing to me, actually.

At the very worst let him go to the training camp and see how he does. If he can't keep up then at least you can say we gave him a shot.
It can't hurt. I do hope he is in the training camp next year. If he sucks he sucks if he shows there is something still left, then why not have him on a low contract? he'd probably put more effort then 80% of this team anyways.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
armandh01

I think he would be good insurance if we trade Hemsky for a LW. I'd definitely get a contract together to try him out. Can't be worse than what we have.

Hall - Horcoff - Cheechoo
Mag - Gag - Eberle / Yak
LW trade - RNH - Eberle / Yak
Belanger Triangle

I think the big thing with Cheechoo is that he's improved considerably season to season in the AHL. He may be on his way up...just saying.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I think he would be good insurance if we trade Hemsky for a LW. I'd definitely get a contract together to try him out. Can't be worse than what we have.

Hall - Horcoff - Cheechoo
Mag - Gag - Eberle / Yak
LW trade - RNH - Eberle / Yak
Belanger Triangle
NOOOOOOOO. They would have to sling shot him back and forth up and down the ice just to keep up.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
BleedingOil

funny thing is everyone talking **** about cheech probably hasnt seen him play thisyear. todd nelson was on 1260 a couple weeks back and he said cheechoos skating is good enough for the show.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:48 PM
sensfan44
peacetowersens

As an Oiler fan, 2nd to my Sens, I beg of you......DO NOT waste your time with the Cheechoo train. The injuries he has suffered over the years have Really taken their tole on the guy. He looks out of place on every shift at the NHL level.

sensfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan44 View Post
As an Oiler fan, 2nd to my Sens, I beg of you......DO NOT waste your time with the Cheechoo train. The injuries he has suffered over the years have Really taken their tole on the guy. He looks out of place on every shift at the NHL level.
I am sure you can try a guy out without being bogged down by him if it doesn't turn out. His last NHL game was some time ago and since then has improved quite dramatically while in the AHL.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote