HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella Thread Pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
imo hes exceeded both
Even better then. I agree, he has been a very pleasant surprise, and proved that last year was not a fluke. Meanwhile, Richards has been playing like his cap hit should be divided by 10.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
And now with my usual, share the blame, method:

Torts' system might not promote offense, but these guys have the potency of a corpse. I'd say that we run a single scoring line of Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan. The bottom 6 is straight useless, Richards and Gaborik suck and Nash is essentially singled out by being shackled to them.

Our D-Man have never been great puck movers and the guy with the most offensive upside (at least in promise this season) is currently out with an eye injury.

03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Gaborik score 40 goals twice in his first three seasons. here. This season he was moved to his wrong wing. Richards scored a big goal in the outside game and one playoff game. So naturally all the trade rumors are about Gaborik.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Gaborik score 40 goals twice in his first three seasons. here. This season he was moved to his wrong wing. Richards scored a big goal in the outside game and one playoff game. So naturally all the trade rumors are about Gaborik.
??

Richards in untradeable, if that's what you're getting at.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Jersey Girl

It would also help Tortorella if Dan Girardi lifted his game to a level somewhere north of putrid.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
It would also help Tortorella if Dan Girardi lifted his game to a level somewhere north of putrid.
it would also help if torts realized girardi was playing like **** and would take him off the PP along with lowering his minutes

Old
03-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
it would also help if torts realized girardi was playing like **** and would take him off the PP along with lowering his minutes
Was just about to post this. Girardi is playing how I expect him to play. I still think he's good, just not at that brick wall level he was in the first half of last season. He has no business on the PP.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:09 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Was just about to post this. Girardi is playing how I expect him to play. I still think he's good, just not at that brick wall level he was in the first half of last season. He has no business on the PP.
Of course he does, in Torts' mind there still has to be some defense or jam or shot blocking on the PP.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Of course he does, in Torts' mind there still has to be some defense or jam or shot blocking on the PP.
This is really the only explanation as to why Girardi is constantly getting spoonfed with PP time. (albeit, 2nd unit)

How about McD and Stralman for PP duties, huh Torts? And Staal when he returns.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
This is really the only explanation as to why Girardi is constantly getting spoonfed with PP time. (albeit, 2nd unit)

Someone has to prevent the inevitable odd man rush when we lose the puck after it's dumped.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Stralman is what he is. A 5th D-Man (when Staal is healthy). I'd say that's the mark of a strong corps. I expect someone like him to have off days. It's just how it is.

Torts should be calling out Richards. He's our ****ing first line center who's talent has apparently taking a trip to the Bermuda Triangle.
Certain people respond well to a kick in the ass, and certain people respond poorly and need to be coddled to bring out their best. Since none of us know these guys personally, I'll defer to Torts' judgment on which guys are which type. Especially when the two guys are Richy who he's known for a long time and who has played his best hockey under Torts, and Stralsy who also has played his best hockey under Torts.

Also, just in general calling out a guy in this fashion is somewhat of a compliment. He's saying the guy is good enough to show even more.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Even better then. I agree, he has been a very pleasant surprise, and proved that last year was not a fluke. Meanwhile, Richards has been playing like his cap hit should be divided by 10.
You forgot a few zeros.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Someone has to prevent the inevitable odd man rush when we lose the puck after it's dumped.
Yep. It seems like we get outshot on our own powerplays.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Certain people respond well to a kick in the ass, and certain people respond poorly and need to be coddled to bring out their best. Since none of us know these guys personally, I'll defer to Torts' judgment on which guys are which type. Especially when the two guys are Richy who he's known for a long time and who has played his best hockey under Torts, and Stralsy who also has played his best hockey under Torts.

Also, just in general calling out a guy in this fashion is somewhat of a compliment. He's saying the guy is good enough to show even more.
Fair point, indeed. If he is going to use that method, however, I think he should keep it behind closed doors. It just looks odd to call out certain players to the media and not others.

Also, if Torts is coddling Richards, he needs some softer cradle rocks or something, because Brad is killing me.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Well if this is the case, the coddling ain't workin'.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Nash's slump directly coincides with being put with Richards. Get a clue, Torts.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Dactyl

Quote:

mcd never gets PP time why? stralman sometimes gets time on the PP. i know he is slow as hell but i think he may be able to help, why not try hamr instead of girardi? yea hes slow and out of shape but he seems to be the best guy on the team when it comes to breakout passes. the guy has proven that he has/had offensive skills why not let him try

Old
03-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Nash's slump directly coincides with being put with Richards. Get a clue, Torts.
beaver is sucking the talent out of nash. sad but true

Old
03-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I'd say that Richards has a splash damage effect (I'm an FPS nerd) on Gaborik and Nash. With him playing like dreck, Gaborik doesn't have his set up man (I've never found him to have chemistry with Stepan) and Nash is left as the one true scoring threat on the team. Easy to single him out.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
??

Richards in untradeable, if that's what you're getting at.
But why seek to trade Gaborik if Richards sucks?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
But why seek to trade Gaborik if Richards sucks?
Richards is getting bought out, this summer or next.

Gaborik might be traded because he doesn't fit this hockey club. Although we should axe Tortorella first.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
And now with my usual, share the blame, method:

Torts' system might not promote offense, but these guys have the potency of a corpse. I'd say that we run a single scoring line of Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan. The bottom 6 is straight useless, Richards and Gaborik suck and Nash is essentially singled out by being shackled to them.

Our D-Man have never been great puck movers and the guy with the most offensive upside (at least in promise this season) is currently out with an eye injury.
+1. Thanks Bob.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

If anyone thinks Torts is going to be fired while we're in the playoff chase, you're out to lunch.

Even if we miss it, he still gets the start of next season.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Gaborik, Richards, and Nash is enough talent where you shouldn't have to coach their offense. That they look the way they do is beyond me.

Blame the coach all you want, if Richards and Gaborik were producing the way they were last year, we're fighting for the division, not a playoff spot.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
If anyone thinks Torts is going to be fired while we're in the playoff chase, you're out to lunch.

Even if we miss it, he still gets the start of next season.
He will be here next year, unless there is a major MAJOR collapse.

IF we miss the playoffs then I'd say he is on very thin ice next season. If we do make the playoffs and lets say get knocked out in the first round I'd say he only has a couple months next season to prove he is still a good coach here. If this sort of play continues into next season I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of here.

Closed Thread