HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Im viewing them as guys who will help us make the playoffs
I'm viewing them as guys we don't need to make the playoffs.

MEH! i guess,

i have more confidence in this team and farm system then you do,

funny that.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci all 2nds, Marchand 3rd. All drafted from 03-06.

Letang (3rd), Gologiski (2nd). Added in back to back drafts.

Keith, Crawford, Bolland all 2nds. Hjalmarrson 4th. Byfulgien 8th. Brouwer 7th. All added from 02-05.

I'd say hitting homeruns on picks outside the 1st round is pretty darn important.

The only way to do that is to have the picks to draft with in the 1st place.

Fans on this message board want to talk about how good our prospect pool is but for a bottom end team we haven't been drafting often enough to increase the odds that we hit homeruns. Our prospect is also ranked in the bottom half of all teams by scouts (not biased Leaf fans).

Toronto isn't a legitimate contender yet but we will be in the next few seasons. This is the last year we have a chance to cash in on trading pending UFAs who are replaceable in Bozak and CMac.

Trade them at a high value point and take a chance we can hit a homerun with some picks who can then come into the lineup on cheap contracts when we need them.
Completey agree. THere are gems to be found outside the first round in the draft, and you increase your odds of landing one the more picks you have.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Burn the boats thread, people.

Not the get back on the boats and comebacknext year thread.

plenty of other threads for you guys to ********** while dreaming about gettin more second round picks.
This ^ sounds like a bunch of Jays fans on this board (I'm a Jays fan as well ), with the AA theory. Gain a bunch of prospects no matter what. We're in the playoffs, there is no need to sell. I just don't get it from some people on here. Giving away Bozak for picks does what for this team? NOTHING

Old
03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
As long as they are UFAs they are being viewed as players that will do nothing for us .

Starting as early as next season.

Who says i'm banking on those picks as turning into anything?

I'm happy using them as currency to move up in the draft.

Currency in a trade for a player.

It's not my fault that you only have the foresight to see those picks only hold value if you make the right pick.
I applaud your foresight but at the same time you need to look at the present as well.

We need Mac and Bozak now. Trading them for picks creates holes in the present and that is not smart for a playoff team to do.

They will be re-signed if the value is there.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
here's the problem with acquiring a veteran goalie like Kipper: you're putting extra and unnecessary pressure on Reimer. One bad game and everyone will be calling for Kipper to take over. It's a fragile situation with our young goaltenders. Both Reimer and Scrivens have played reasonably well. I may just leave it that way.
I think it would be the complete opposite actually. Bringing in a veteran like Kiprusoff takes all the pressure off of Reimer, because Kipper is far and away the starter between the two. Reimer can be inserted into low pressure games and would watch a seasoned veteran deal with high pressure playoff games. Not that I'm advocating trading for Kiprusoff because Calgary will want a kings's ransom, but I do hope Nonis at least picks up a short term veteran goalie as an insurance policy for the playoff run/playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Burn the Boats people... We shouldn't be selling off when we are (most likely) going to the playoffs.

The years of selling are behind us. It's time to make the Eastern Conference ours again

Old
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post

imo, this is the guy who the Leafs should be targeting
Definitely a solid vet we could use on the back end. I wonder what the price would be? If they can pick him up for a pick/prospect or two it might be well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
We need a veteran backup. If Reimer faulters in the playoffs... can we count on Scrivens to take us 4 rounds?

I still think we need to look at Kipper, or Miller. However, that is unrealistic
I agree. I like Scrivens but I'm not sure of his potential and he is not at all consistent yet. A veteran presence would do a lot to help stabilize Reimer as well.

I wouldn't mind getting Giggy back from Colorado if he wants to come. Another option could be Jonas Hiller but I doubt the Ducks move him until the offseason maybe depending on Fasth's performance.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Trying to make the Playoffs isn't short sighted, it's what Teams do.

What are you basing the bolded part on?
For Bozak based on Kadri and Grabo being able to handle more minutes. Bozak not being an exceptional defensive player but also can't break 50 points playing with Kessel and Lupul. He's a decent depth player just like Moore and Stajan before him. Picks can be an asset for many years instead of hoping Bozak has a few good games till the end of the season in a non-competing season. Colborne could be called up and also have some really good games and get some valuable NHL experience.

For CMac I'd play all of Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Kulemin, Frattin, McClement and probably Komarov over him. He's a tweener who can put up decent points but no longer has those prime opportunities in Toronto but doesn't do enough else to make him a hard player to play against that contributes to winning.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Da Murf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Im viewing them as guys who will help us make the playoffs
And help MLSE make more REAL currency.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
I applaud your foresight but at the same time you need to look at the present as well.

We need Mac and Bozak now. Trading them for picks creates holes in the present and that is not smart for a playoff team to do.

They will be re-signed if the value is there.
Not holes that i feel can't be filled in just fine with our roster and call ups.

With Boz gone our C depth slides into their proper position

Kadri
Grabo
McLem

Pick a 4th from the AHL Colb,Conn,Ziggy.

Kamo can move up to Macs 3rd line role and Hamilton can move to the 4th line role. Or you can use Orr, McLaren as your 4th line wingers.

Re-sign Mac, Boz? fine ,

just get it done before the TD, before all our leverage and ability to recoup value is lost.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
For Bozak based on Kadri and Grabo being able to handle more minutes. Bozak not being an exceptional defensive player but also can't break 50 points playing with Kessel and Lupul. He's a decent depth player just like Moore and Stajan before him. Picks can be an asset for many years instead of hoping Bozak has a few good games till the end of the season in a non-competing season. Colborne could be called up and also have some really good games and get some valuable NHL experience.

For CMac I'd play all of Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Kulemin, Frattin, McClement and probably Komarov over him. He's a tweener who can put up decent points but no longer has those prime opportunities in Toronto but doesn't do enough else to make him a hard player to play against that contributes to winning.
Bozak is relied on heavily by Carlyle and having him play with Kessel shelters Kadri somewhat.

I don't care if either are moved but I expect replacements if that's the case, not just dumping for a couple picks.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Bozak is relied on heavily by Carlyle and having him play with Kessel shelters Kadri somewhat.

I don't care if either are moved but I expect replacements if that's the case, not just dumping for a couple picks.
CMac is definitely easier to move than Bozak but Bozak will garner a higher return.

If we can get a return like the 1st Gaustad returned or the top prospect (recent 1st rounder) Morrow returned for Bozak we need to do it.

Our future looks a lot brighter because we traded Kaberle and Beauchemin. Bozak will leave and than we can all forget about him just like Moore, Stajan, Antropov, Poni before him.

If Bozak is suppose to be the difference for us this season that says something bad about our team.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:32 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think it would be the complete opposite actually. Bringing in a veteran like Kiprusoff takes all the pressure off of Reimer, because Kipper is far and away the starter between the two. Reimer can be inserted into low pressure games and would watch a seasoned veteran deal with high pressure playoff games. Not that I'm advocating trading for Kiprusoff because Calgary will want a kings's ransom, but I do hope Nonis at least picks up a short term veteran goalie as an insurance policy for the playoff run/playoffs.
I agree. Reimer has the talent to be a very good goalie in this league and has shown plenty of flashes of it throughout his career however much like most young goalies he doesn't have the consistency yet. Having a veteran for the rest of this season and next would allow Reimer to learn how a veteran handles the ups and downs of the NHL seasons and allow Reimer to grow without the constant eye of the entire city. Kiprusoff would be perfect for that time-frame.

03-25-2013, 04:32 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Definitely a solid vet we could use on the back end. I wonder what the price would be? If they can pick him up for a pick/prospect or two it might be well worth it.
seems they have some interest in Percy. Given our depth at LD, i might consider this

Old
03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
CMac is definitely easier to move than Bozak but Bozak will garner a higher return.

If we can get a return like the 1st Gaustad returned or the top prospect (recent 1st rounder) Morrow returned for Bozak we need to do it.

Our future looks a lot brighter because we traded Kaberle and Beauchemin.

If Bozak is suppose to be the difference for us this season that says something bad about our team.
Those players weren't traded while in a Playoff spot. No way Nonis risks a playoff spot just to obtain a pick.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
We traded Kaberle and Beauch because we weren't in a playoff position. Think those happen if we were? No.

We aren't selling.

Only way we "sell" is if we trade Bozak, MacArthur, Scrivens in a deal, and then immediately get an upgrade in the same deal or in a 2nd deal.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Those players weren't traded while in a Playoff spot. No way Nonis risks a playoff spot just to obtain a pick.
Nonis has said he is a patient GM. Time for him to prove it.

Dallas just traded Morrow and they're in a playoff spot because they know they're not a contender even if they make the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

Dallas just traded Morrow and they're in a playoff spot because they know they're not a contender even if they make the playoffs.
If he trades Picks/Prospects for older Vets, that will show impatience. Keeping a Team together that hasn't been in the Playoffs in a decade doesn't.

I know little of Dallas and aren't really concerned how they operate.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

SJ just moved a UFA guy also and they are only 1 point out, but have a game in hand.

We can always re-sign Boz, Mac in the off season, they are UFAs after all.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
buntek

Quote:
I'm viewing them as guys we don't need to make the playoffs.

MEH! i guess,

i have more confidence in this team and farm system then you do,

funny that.
I have a lot of faith in the development of the young prospects the Leafs have in the system, but lets not pretend that Mac and Bozak are easily replaceable with AHLers. They can't just trade Bozak for a 2nd and expect Colborne to step in for the final push.

And though I think Kadri can handle the pressure, moving him up to the top spot really puts a lot of weight on his shoulders.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
I have a lot of faith in the development of the young prospects the Leafs have in the system, but lets not pretend that Mac and Bozak are easily replaceable with AHLers. They can't just trade Bozak for a 2nd and expect Colborne to step in for the final push.

And though I think Kadri can handle the pressure, moving him up to the top spot really puts a lot of weight on his shoulders.
Whats wrongs with

Kadri
Grabo
McLem
Colb,Ziggy,Conn

as our 4 centers with 13 games left to qualify for the POs?

Whats wrong With Kamo taking Macs 3rd line minutes, with 13 games left?

Somehow i get the feeling what some people are really talking about is ,what will happen once we make the POs

and not IF we make the POs.

But they are too gutless to try and argue the merits of that.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
buntek

Quote:
Whats wrongs with

Kadri
Grabo
McLem
Colb,Ziggy,Conn

as our 4 centers with 13 games left to qualify for the POs?

Whats wrong With Kamo taking Macs 3rd line minutes, with 13 games left?

Somehow i get the feeling what some people are really talking about is ,what will happen once we make the POs

and not IF we make the POs.

But they are too gutless to try and argue the merits of that.
Faltorvo, I like your posts most of the time, and I see where you're coming from.

But I would rather have Colborne playing deep into the AHL playoffs and being "the guy" than up with the Leafs logging 5 minutes of ice time a night.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Well with the deadline approaching its time for the great buyer/seller debate.

Personally I hope the Leafs are minor buyers. I could see them targeting a veteran right handed D and mostly a veteran backup goalie.

I wonder if Stephane Robidas from Dallas might be worth a look?
Would love Robidas.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
notdoneyet

Quote:
SJ just moved a UFA guy also and they are only 1 point out, but have a game in hand.

We can always re-sign Boz, Mac in the off season, they are UFAs after all.
IF we could sign them they would be signed by now. Nonis knows exactly what the terms are for signing each of these players. Thats why we have a whole year when we can resign them and others cant talk to them. I guarantee Nonis has talked to their agents and knows whether we can afford them going forward.

Again does anyone on here think we have a legitimate chance to win the cup this year. Anyone in their right minds knows we have no chance. Even if we keep bozak and mac and add a couple of players we are still not deep enough to go all the way.

If thats the case is it in our best interest to trade our UFA's or lose them for nothing. Just looking at what Penguins gave up BoZak is worth at least a first and propect to someone in need of a second line center and macarthur is worth at least a second and a prospect.

Then at draft time send these prospects and picks with ours to try to get down to get our #1 center Barkov/Monahan etc

As a team that cant win the cup this year we have to be smart and use our assets wisely. If that means not making the playoffs then so be it. For some fans that say if we dont make the playoffs then i'm not a fan anymore. If that the case you Are not a fan anyway.

Ask yourself this question

Would it be worth it this year to miss the playoffs if we could get the #1 center we covet so much at the draft?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Semin 35/5 for Carolina.

We're gonna have to pony up big time for Kessel.

Closed Thread