HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
JL17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Mike Stapleton was very mellow behind the hounds bench and never called out players.

Sheldon Keefe barks and is very intense behind that same bench.

Who would you rather have coaching your team?

It's not about the style it's about consistency, expectations and accountability. And if you have the horses like the Hunters do, that makes up for much of everything.

The Spits coaching staff is not what it once was DJ Smith was a big cog. Also the Kerby factor kills the expectations, accountability and consistency through the group.
I'm not saying for him to become a snooze behind the bench but when you can hear him all game in the 3rd bowl at the JLC it's a little much. I didn't find Stapleton that bad behind the bench. I prefer the middle ground of the 2 coaches.

I will also say I prefer Mark over Dale and I don't believe Dale is the best coach out there. That's my opinion. Nobody needs to coach the 04-05 team. You could have taken a guy that lived in a hole his whole life and never seen a hockey game and he would have coached that team to the same season.

Also the 04-05 is somewhat comparable to to the Spits first Cup... alot of talent coaching was there to make sure everyone arrived in one piece. London's latest run to the Cup is comparable minus the win.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
OHLTG

If I had to compare:

Last year's Knights were the 09 Spitfires - not expected to do great, but did. Only difference is the Spits won, Knights didn't

05 Knights = 10 Spitfires - The players knew what to do, coaches just made sure they weren't doing anything too stupid.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:41 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
If I had to compare:

Last year's Knights were the 09 Spitfires - not expected to do great, but did. Only difference is the Spits won, Knights didn't

05 Knights = 10 Spitfires - The players knew what to do, coaches just made sure they weren't doing anything too stupid.
The 09 Spits were expected to do great in 09. The year prior they were 41-15-7-5 for 94 points and that team was returning Hall, Henrique, Ellis, Nemisz, Cundari, Young, Kwiet, Blacker, incoming from import draft Loktionov, Dale Mitchell from the prior trade, 2nd round pick Austin Watson. They were a 3 seed the year prior and returning a lot, in fact to start the year I believe they were ranked pre-season #1 in Canada. I call bunk on not expecting to do great.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Nothing...OHL championships? Geez, that means the Spits other than their 2 purchased years have done less than nothing.
Go back to your 4 year planning Rayzor.
Libbs/Otto, regardless of who said what when its all a matter of opinion anyways. The question, whether you agree or disagree, is a valid question. Team misses the playoffs and is a circus off the ice over the past few years, I'd say its fair to question the coaches job.
You have to take off your homer glasses to see that though fellas....
You were just trolling and what OHL Championships were those? When London got swept by Peterborough? Or lost to Plymouth in the western finals, or lost to Windsor? Anyways the Knights didn't even win an OHL Championship last year with Dale Hunter behind the bench it was the real brains Mark Hunter. You really think it's fair to question the coaches job when the coach has majority ownership of theam and has a stake in how well the team does? Wow, I can't really believe that you thought it was a good question. That would be like going up to a guy convicted of spousal abuse and asking him if he has stopped beating his wife, I would just be trolling for an answer because there's no right answer. If he says says no it means yes he did it before, if he says no it means he's still doing it. Go back under your bridge dude with GangGreen.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Good call. Obviously nothing doing on his board.

Wonder if anyone has a definitive answer regarding the wording of the Import rule change. It has to be written somewhere or is 'Wee Davie' flying by the seat of his pants again?
I believe they have made changes after that Feb meeting. Yahoo had a piece from Sunaya and Cam Charron covering the import and it was all but rubber stamped. No trading up or picks sideways and once your player selection is made that player goes on your roster or list for at least one calendar year of play.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
You were just trolling and what OHL Championships were those? When London got swept by Peterborough? Or lost to Plymouth in the western finals, or lost to Windsor? Anyways the Knights didn't even win an OHL Championship last year with Dale Hunter behind the bench it was the real brains Mark Hunter. You really think it's fair to question the coaches job when the coach has majority ownership of theam and has a stake in how well the team does? Wow, I can't really believe that you thought it was a good question. That would be like going up to a guy convicted of spousal abuse and asking him if he has stopped beating his wife, I would just be trolling for an answer because there's no right answer. If he says says no it means yes he did it before, if he says no it means he's still doing it. Go back under your bridge dude with GangGreen.
This is the first time I've been accused of being a troll and although I admit that I maybe mistaken that it was Spits fans that were calling for Hunters head during the Kingston issue (thats for you Libbs), asking if a coaching change might be in order is a fair question. Some may agree and some might not.
Let me provide some clarity here....you, of all people, get called out by your own supporters for being a closet Plymouth fan and being self righteous with your avatar as a know all of the Spits, while out the other side of your mouth you call for massive changes, are totally down on the team...given up on them completely, won't go to games.....and somebody asks if a coaching change might be in order and you cry foul. Thats beautiful, really....
I'm surprised your own supporters haven't suggested that you are the troll on their board......or have they......

Old
03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
This is the first time I've been accused of being a troll and although I admit that I maybe mistaken that it was Spits fans that were calling for Hunters head during the Kingston issue (thats for you Libbs), asking if a coaching change might be in order is a fair question. Some may agree and some might not.
Let me provide some clarity here....you, of all people, get called out by your own supporters for being a closet Plymouth fan and being self righteous with your avatar as a know all of the Spits, while out the other side of your mouth you call for massive changes, are totally down on the team...given up on them completely, won't go to games.....and somebody asks if a coaching change might be in order and you cry foul. Thats beautiful, really....
I'm surprised your own supporters haven't suggested that you are the troll on their board......or have they......
You must not pay close attention to what I've said. I was a season ticket holder from 97 to about 2011 and some people question my loyalty because I make decisions in my life that take precedent over wanting to attend junior hockey games? Yes I queston the coaching staff as in assistants. You have to give the head coach the benefit of the doubt and the ability to switch things up if they are stale. As for the opinion of people I believe the ones that I have discussions with that are respectful and open minded there is an opportunity for good discussion. With some on here with some Windsor fans there's no chance of that, I don't include discussions with other fans for obvious reasons. There are some on here that pride themself as being a super fan and know it all and refuse to see the other side of things well it speaks for itself.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:17 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Go back under your bridge dude with GangGreen.
Haha, all that delightful banter was on the Knights board bud, so how could I be trolling?

If anything, I think that makes you one then. Along with another unnamed person.
Anyways, enjoy the game tonight. Will you be joining the Knights or Whalers bandwagon?

Old
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Libbs

Quote:
I guess people aren't allowed to have an opinion in the negative light in today's world? What is this... the official team Twitter page?

At least Rayzor backs up his claims with facts, and stats, and reasoning... his "matter of opinion" has something behind it. Of course not everyone is going to agree, but he's at least not making baseless claims that have no merit.

After viewing the train wreck that was the last 2 seasons, where's the reason for optimism anyway?

Old
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
I have to say that I tend to agree with your concerns about trolling. While I welcome contributions and perspectives from fans around the league, the constant interest that some London fans take in coming over here and commenting on the slightest topic and often making references to the Knights strikes me as...as sort of creepy or at least unnecessary. I'm also aware that my own post may come across as a performative contradiction, so I'll leave now.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
Haha, all that delightful banter was on the Knights board bud, so how could I be trolling?

If anything, I think that makes you one then. Along with another unnamed person.
Anyways, enjoy the game tonight. Will you be joining the Knights or Whalers bandwagon?
I rarely go on the Knights board so I have no clue what you're talking about. I picked Plymouth early in the year and I see no reason why I should go against that. The funny thing is I don't really hate the players on the Knights but I detest some of their fans.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
I have to say that I tend to agree with your concerns about trolling. While I welcome contributions and perspectives from fans around the league, the constant interest that some London fans take in coming over here and commenting on the slightest topic and often making references to the Knights strikes me as...as sort of creepy or at least unnecessary. I'm also aware that my own post may come across as a performative contradiction, so I'll leave now.
That's a fine post.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Look, I'll be honest with you. I've never been one to 'troll'. My original post had a honest valid question that I thought would provide good converstation (coaching change). The way I started the post, was not taken well. It also turns out I was wrong...it was a Kitchener fan that had made the Hunter reference. So ya, I made a mistake. I didn't have the time or desire to go back through the posts (until now) to see who it was). If you look through my posts I have provided some valuable discussion to an otherwise dismal season...I've been cordial and even supportive of your team. (I encourage you to check).
Its a chat board....I mean really, my intention was to talk hockey.
Im sure it would be different if you knew me....sorry if I offended any of you.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Hawks3

Does anyone know where I can find the 2013 OHL Priority Selection order of picks or list for April 6th OHL Draft

Old
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Best I could find is a mock draft. Interesting choices...

http://www.fantasyhockeycoach.com/co...son-Mock-Draft

Old
03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
punch1943

Burning Question(s) of the Day

With the OHL Priority Selection coming April 6th has anyone found a list of draft picks that the Spitfires do have. Starting with Rnd #3 I guess. The Ohl is not very forthcoming with info...on anything. Also is there a trade window leading up to the OHL draft...draft picks or players to be named later?

I'm guessing that the Spits would be able to trade picks from future drafts to get into the 2nd round if possible.

The other answer I'm looking for is in regards to the CHL import draft that normally takes place about a week after the NHL draft (June 30th this year). Certainly I've heard rumors regarding the rules being changed BUT nowhere have these rule changes been published that I know of. Many people say this or that will happen but as they say money walks and bullshi* talks......

Last but not least....any Spit moves on the horizon?

Old
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
OHLTG

My biggest concern with the draft is the team going after flyer picks, period. Get kids in here who want to come, then go from there.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Spitsfan67*

Rychel has to smarten up that's Forsure, I mean why are you taking gambles on American kids who usually have said they have no Intensions of playing in the OHL, I mean most of the best players in the game ever are from Canada and Canadians play with there heart on there sleeves and most Canadians want to play in the OHL, but it's almost a garuntee that at least half the picks are american and it's a joke, go look at the Stanley cup champs every year and see what country dominates there roster and take a look at a team like Toronto who draft Americans and NCAA kids... You win with Canadians and then you scatter in some Americans and Europeans.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
My biggest concern with the draft is the team going after flyer picks, period. Get kids in here who want to come, then go from there.
I have no problem with flyer picks...if you're talking the later rounds (say 8-14). At that point odds are the picks wouldn't make it in all likely hood. This time around though I would say we need to get a few warm bodies in here.

What I do hope for this year is this....Since our cupboard is very bare I hope WR considers trading the rights to some of the U.S picks we chose the last couple of years for picks we could use this year. If he has no commitment from these players by now chances are he won't get one...perhaps a 3rd and the rights to Will Butcher or Adam Baughman ( we do have extra D-Men) might get us a 2nd this year.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
I have no problem with flyer picks...if you're talking the later rounds (say 8-14). At that point odds are the picks wouldn't make it in all likely hood. This time around though I would say we need to get a few warm bodies in here.

What I do hope for this year is this....Since our cupboard is very bare I hope WR considers trading the rights to some of the U.S picks we chose the last couple of years for picks we could use this year. If he has no commitment from these players by now chances are he won't get one...perhaps a 3rd and the rights to Will Butcher or Adam Baughman ( we do have extra D-Men) might get us a 2nd this year.
Cant trade Baughman until the summer,Butcher yes if u can because I dont think
he is coming

Old
03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Rychel has to smarten up that's Forsure, I mean why are you taking gambles on American kids who usually have said they have no Intensions of playing in the OHL, I mean most of the best players in the game ever are from Canada and Canadians play with there heart on there sleeves and most Canadians want to play in the OHL, but it's almost a garuntee that at least half the picks are american and it's a joke, go look at the Stanley cup champs every year and see what country dominates there roster and take a look at a team like Toronto who draft Americans and NCAA kids... You win with Canadians and then you scatter in some Americans and Europeans.
As I Leaf fan I couldn't agree with you more...that's one of the problems they inherited when they hired Burke who was a great example for the saying sometimes bullshi* baffles brains.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Cant trade Baughman until the summer,Butcher yes if u can because I dont think
he is coming
Hey legend I'm sure you know the hockey players traded most often...1)future considerations and 2) a player to be named later.....can they still be traded or have the leagues clamped down to the point where that can't happen...nudge/wink anymore?

Any chance we might see a deal or 3 from the Spits before the OHL draft? It's no fun watching everybody speculate on who they're gonna pick while we twiddle our thumbs...

Old
03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
punch1943

Spitfire Picks in OHL Draft 2013 April 6th

Here is the list of the Spitfires draft picks available for the 2013 OHL Priority Selection...

2013:
3rd
4th - SAG
5th - ERIE
6th LDN, KIT 6th (*),
9th,
10th - SARNIA
11th,
12th, OTT 12th,
13th, SBY 13th,
14th,
15th KGN

* conditional pick

Old
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I don't mind flyer picks late, but when you have half of what you should, in terms of picks, stick with the kids that are likely to report. We can't afford to have a lack of depth again next year.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Can we wax poetic about the abilities of Dale Hunter. Is this Dale Hunter the same coach that turned Alexander Ovechkin into a 3rd and 4th line checker in Washington last year? Boy what an amazing coach, winning a Memorial Cup in 05 when his only job was to make sure Perry, Schremp, Fritsche, Hunter, Rodney, Syvret all got to the arena in one piece. Then Dale Hunter proceeds to do nothing for 5-6 years and is now the toast of the town again.
Not to 'troll' but I wonder, do you watch a lot of the London games? Dale is constantly switching up the lines, always looking for an edge, and making great decisions about who to play during the game. Most coaches stick with their standard lines, maybe make a couple of changes here and there during the game, and yet Dale is always out there switching up the lines and trying new lines. Not to mention he's been juggling enough injuries or suspensions throughout the entire season for it to be a bit of a nightmare.

I also hate to say it but imo Ovie was playing like a 3rd or 4th line checker, that's always been part of his game (even when he's been scoring like a madman) and Hunter did a great thing to encourage that.

$.02

Closed Thread