HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread Part 2 (Post #693: Rumor -- Clowe to the Flyers)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Can you even buy out a player after July 1, 2013?
yes..

Old
03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
UKFlyers

Quote:
@ToddCordell

Dreger on TSN radio: Briere to Montreal for a draft pick could happen if Briere is healthy & willing to waive his NTC. #Flyers #Canadiens
A 1st? Not sure I see it, what with his recent concussion.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Would Briere accept a move to Montreal?

Old
03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
I'll take conditional 6th rounder.... Get it done. That big faker better waive.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:35 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Can you even buy out a player after July 1, 2013?
Yes lol. We have 2 offseasons to buy players out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
- He deserves a paycheck, but that's only because of his contract. I wouldn't say really "deserves" a paycheck at this point.

- "Classy guys" is not a concern for me.

- 2010 was forever ago, let it die. Sure, it was fun, but you can't be one of the highest paid players in the NHL (the highest on your own team) and ride the coattails of what you accomplished 3 years ago.

- He does suck, and he is a major reason why the team sucks. His injury may cause the team to continue to suck because he can't be traded or bought out while injured.

Every Briere apologists uses the guys post-lockout numbers to support their love for him, and have to reach back 3 years to find his most recent accomplishment. The present and future are much more important than what happened in 2010; it's time to move on.
I never talked about paycheck, I talked about respect. It wasn't 3 years ago, but 2 years ago. Briere was one of our bests players in 2011. Last year, he has had injuries and this year, he played a lot on the wing, doesn't have a lot of chemistry with his linemates, etc. Make him play center with Hartnell on his wing and he'll produce. He's still pretty good. We use the 2010-11 season to talk about his accomplishments because it's the last time he played a full season healthy, period.

I never said that we shouldn't think about trading him btw, that's not the point, in case you didn't understand. I simply said that the hate comments on here are out of proportion. And it's not like he has sucked for many years, he struggled for one year, and that can be explained by many factors.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:35 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
No, probably not. He made it pretty clear when he signed in Philadelphia that he doesn't want to play in the Montreal market, for whatever reason.

If they can't move Briere, then they seriously need to look at moving a guy like Meszaros. Pittsburgh has set the bar on what's definitely going to be a sellers market. Two average players got pretty incredible returns compared to their value.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Fingers crossed he gets better and waives that NTC.

Old
YuioIklo

Quote:
Definitely not. He refused to sign there as a UFA for more than we offered him, and they have been booing him ever since.

Old
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
When he signed here in FA, didn't Briere choose Philly instead of Montreal because of the media/pressure?

Old
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
When he signed here in FA, didn't Briere choose Philly instead of Montreal because of the media/pressure?
That was my understanding.

Old
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenscakebakerbacker View Post
i'll take conditional 6th rounder.... Get it done. That big faker better waive.
lol!!

Old
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post

I never talked about paycheck, I talked about respect. It wasn't 3 years ago, but 2 years ago. Briere was one of our bests players in 2011. Last year, he has had injuries and this year, he played a lot on the wing, doesn't have a lot of chemistry with his linemates, etc. Make him play center with Hartnell on his wing and he'll produce. He's still pretty good. We use the 2010-11 season to talk about his accomplishments because it's the last time he played a full season healthy, period.

I never said that we shouldn't think about trading him btw, that's not the point, in case you didn't understand. I simply said that the hate comments on here are out of proportion. And it's not like he has sucked for many years, he struggled for one year, and that can be explained by many factors.
The Flyers are and should not move developing guys that will be important to this team for the next 5+ years out of their natural position just so they can squeeze another ten points a year out of Briere. He's proven that he's a train wreck defensively, and that he can only be insulated if he plays the wing. Plus, Briere isn't the first example of an aging player that's been asked to change positions to better suit the team.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The Flyers are and should not move developing guys that will be important to this team for the next 5+ years out of their natural position just so they can squeeze another ten points a year out of Briere. He's proven that he's a train wreck defensively, and that he can only be insulated if he plays the wing. Plus, Briere isn't the first example of an aging player that's been asked to change positions to better suit the team.
What's the link with what I posted? Did you even read? I said that I never said that we should or should not trade him. I'm talking about the hate.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was only this year's.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:

He sucked at C, he sucks at W, he sucks at practice, he sucks at staying healthy. The only GD things he does well are sleep overs for the rookies, and demanding tutors.

2010-2011 doesn't mean jack right now.

You perceive the comments as "hate" when really they are just comments on how others perceive his value vs. cap hit.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:46 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
What's the link with what I posted? Did you even read? I said that I never said that we should or should not trade him. I'm talking about the hate.
I never once mentioned you talking about trading him or the hate that he's generated. I just find it ridiculous that you think we should move a 35 year old defensive liability back to center instead of leaving our two first rounders to develop in that spot. For what, so we can watch Briere score a couple of more goals while being quite possibly the worst defensive forward in the entire NHL?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:00 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I believe those are Briere's +/- numbers (in the playoffs).
Right... Idk why i was so confused.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/sta...02962899185667

Quote:
Source w/knowledge of process believes Detroit, Anaheim, Nashville, Edmonton, St. Louis and Tampa Bay are strongest contenders for DeKeyser.
Seems like right now we are not in the front running for him. Anything can change once we meet with him in Toronto though, but right now not looking too optimistic.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
JustJim

I also hope that Danny waives his NMC/NTC. His play has declined in the past couple of years, and this team can't afford to keep around players who no longer contribute.
Danny's best days are behind him. I was happy when the Flyers traded for him, but his time to go is now.
I hope the Flyers get a couple of picks for him.
I also hope that Holmgren is fired and the next GM actually addresses the defense needs this team is crippled by through those picks.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Alright guys, let's take the Briere discussion to the Briere thread. I know the concussion has a big effect on Flyers-related trade rumoUrs, but at this point the discussion isn't about that anymore. Let's take the discussion of Briere's performance to the Briere thread and get this back to rumors and speculation, please.

03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

The OT discussion about Briere has been moved to the Briere thread; you'll find all your posts there.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
ahthorne

Dreger just said "keep your eyes on Anaheim and Philadelphia" in regards to a Ryan-Couturier swap, I believe he's talking more of an offseason deal though.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Jtown

dont know how i feel about that one.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:09 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Dreger just said "keep your eyes on Anaheim and Philadelphia" in regards to a Ryan-Couturier swap, I believe he's talking more of an offseason deal though.
What? Ryan does not solve our #1 D-man problem. Couturier should be involved in a trade for a d-man, not a winger.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Here's your backup...

spectors: Darren Dreger speculates about a Sean Couturier-for-Bobby Ryan swap. I assume that would be in the off-season , not now.
7:55pm - 25 Mar 13

spectors: Not a certainty #Ducks would move Ryan this summer. Depends on how they spend $10.8 million in cap space to fill 7 roster spots.
7:56pm - 25 Mar 13

Dreger: @SpectorsHockey. I suspect the same...unless it's a hockey deal both teams can make work now. Ryan isn't being shopped. #tradecentre
8:01pm - 25 Mar 13

Closed Thread