HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
  #76
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,592
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
seriously! someone in cowtown help a brother out here. i've found ZERO good donairs here (though i've found a couple of ****** ones).
OT(sort off...it's still leading up to a stroke kind of food) Actually if your ever stumbling around 17 AVE You have to go to "Tubby Dogs". I suggest the "Atomic". Don't attempt the "Gripper" unless youre either (a) really drunk(tried it) (b) tried at least 3 other creations.
Here is a small sample of some of the creations-
· PBJ: peanut butter and jelly – add Captain Crunch cereal for a captain’s dog.

· Sumo – Japanese mayo, wasabi, pickled ginger, lightly toasted sesame seeds.

· Sherm’s Ultimate Gripper – the dog is bacon-wrapped then deep-fried and topped with ham, homemade chili, cheese, mustard, bacon, hot peppers, onions and a fried egg.

· Tubby Dog (Truch’s creation) – mustard, homemade chili, sautéed onions, bacon bits and cheese.

· Atomic Dog - Bacon, Chili, cheese, onions, crushed potato chips, and mustard

Homesick is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
  #77
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Actually if your ever stumbling around 17 AVE You have to go to "Tubby Dogs". I suggest the "Atomic". Don't attempt the "Gripper" unless youre either (a) really drunk(tried it) (b) tried at least 3 other creations.
Here is a small sample of some of the creations-
· PBJ: peanut butter and jelly – add Captain Crunch cereal for a captain’s dog.

· Sumo – Japanese mayo, wasabi, pickled ginger, lightly toasted sesame seeds.

· Sherm’s Ultimate Gripper – the dog is bacon-wrapped then deep-fried and topped with ham, homemade chili, cheese, mustard, bacon, hot peppers, onions and a fried egg.

· Tubby Dog (Truch’s creation) – mustard, homemade chili, sautéed onions, bacon bits and cheese.

· Atomic Dog - Bacon, Chili, cheese, onions, crushed potato chips, and mustard
You do know that we're talking about Donairs, not hot dogs, right?

PuckNut is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
  #78
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,592
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
You do know that we're talking about Donairs, not hot dogs, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
OT(sort off...it's still leading up to a stroke kind of food)
Sorry if I offended you with my OT OT post. Just another place to get food late at night

Homesick is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 04:03 PM
  #79
Cheeseboy
Registered User
 
Cheeseboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
· Sherm’s Ultimate Gripper – the dog is bacon-wrapped then deep-fried and topped with ham, homemade chili, cheese, mustard, bacon, hot peppers, onions and a fried egg.
As a medical professional, I feel it's my duty to point out that that creation is more aptly named "Stroke on a bun".

On a more personal note, yum!

Cheeseboy is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 04:29 PM
  #80
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Sorry if I offended you with my OT OT post. Just another place to get food late at night
I mean, how OT can we get?

PuckNut is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 06:25 PM
  #81
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
I've got some bad news. The blood work I had two weeks ago suggests I am a train just about to derail. I'm going to have to give up donairs for the foreseeable future. I hope you guys enjoy them for all their glory; for all too soon you may get word that you won't be eating them anymore too.

For eating lettuce and oily fish I do plan to reward myself with a donair for my birthday, but until then, hope you'll all be thinking of me when you sink into a delicious donair.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 06:50 PM
  #82
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB-King of Donair View Post
I've got some bad news. The blood work I had two weeks ago suggests I am a train just about to derail. I'm going to have to give up donairs for the foreseeable future. I hope you guys enjoy them for all their glory; for all too soon you may get word that you won't be eating them anymore too.

For eating lettuce and oily fish I do plan to reward myself with a donair for my birthday, but until then, hope you'll all be thinking of me when you sink into a delicious donair.
When's your birthday BBB?

And, just as importantly, make sure you allow yourself a beer on the same day.

Best of luck!

PDO is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
  #83
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
When's your birthday BBB?

And, just as importantly, make sure you allow yourself a beer on the same day.

Best of luck!
End of September, which to me might as well be a century away

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 07:09 PM
  #84
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB-King of Donair View Post
I've got some bad news. The blood work I had two weeks ago suggests I am a train just about to derail. I'm going to have to give up donairs for the foreseeable future. I hope you guys enjoy them for all their glory; for all too soon you may get word that you won't be eating them anymore too.

For eating lettuce and oily fish I do plan to reward myself with a donair for my birthday, but until then, hope you'll all be thinking of me when you sink into a delicious donair.
Wow, I know this is tough for you right now(and this thread of all times ) but theres still a whole lot of great things to eat and sometimes the adjustments are hard at first but easier to make than one thinks. I've spent years as a vegetarian(long term relapsed out of choice)but still eat healthy and know of a lot of other sensible food choices.

If you ever want to pm feel free.

Replacement is online now  
Old
08-08-2006, 08:08 PM
  #85
Flame Extinguisher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
anyone ever had a donair burger? DELICIOUS, donair meat onions lettuce cheese tomatoes and suculant sweet sauce on a burger bun...mmmm...donair pizza is good too... but i only had that twice.

Flame Extinguisher is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 09:13 PM
  #86
bombenhagen
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 119
vCash: 500
I'm in St. John's, the best donair in town is from Big Bite. 5$ tax incl gets you a donair the size of a football (CFL size!). Thats only the small, you can get two sizes bigger. Meat, onion, tomatoes and sauce, thats it. I hate places that shove cheese and lettuce etc on it. They also make a Donair Pizza (with or without cheese, mine were always without). Alas, I gave up meat 3 months ago so untill I break down I will go without for a while. My heart thanks me!

bombenhagen is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 09:27 PM
  #87
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombenhagen View Post
I'm in St. John's, the best donair in town is from Big Bite. 5$ tax incl gets you a donair the size of a football (CFL size!). Thats only the small, you can get two sizes bigger. Meat, onion, tomatoes and sauce, thats it. I hate places that shove cheese and lettuce etc on it. They also make a Donair Pizza (with or without cheese, mine were always without). Alas, I gave up meat 3 months ago so untill I break down I will go without for a while. My heart thanks me!
ThaT sounds like a fine donair. Agreed on the lettuce, etc. Donair purists hate it when they start shoving **** like that on our pitas.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 09:55 PM
  #88
Smartacus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Best donair I've experienced is from King Donair on 34th ave and 99st. (I know, probably about the 647th donair shop nominated as "the best", but I haven't seen it mentioned yet) Their sweet sauce is just insanely good. They used to have chicken donair back in the day too which seems kind of sacreligious, but it wasn't half bad.... haven't been there in a year or 2, so I have no idea if they still have it.

As for donair pizza, St. Albert Pizza absolutely kicks ***.


Mmmmmmm.... donair.......

Smartacus is offline  
Old
08-08-2006, 10:33 PM
  #89
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB-King of Donair View Post
ThaT sounds like a fine donair. Agreed on the lettuce, etc. Donair purists hate it when they start shoving **** like that on our pitas.
Lettuce I don't like, but, call me crazy, a few well placed olives can be a very nice change from time to time.

And thanks for all the donair tips guys!! It looks like I have a lot of places to try If there is a better donair then High Voltage, I gotta try it.

s7ark is offline  
Old
08-09-2006, 01:24 AM
  #90
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
OT(sort off...it's still leading up to a stroke kind of food) Actually if your ever stumbling around 17 AVE You have to go to "Tubby Dogs". I suggest the "Atomic". Don't attempt the "Gripper" unless youre either (a) really drunk(tried it) (b) tried at least 3 other creations.
Here is a small sample of some of the creations-
· PBJ: peanut butter and jelly – add Captain Crunch cereal for a captain’s dog.

· Sumo – Japanese mayo, wasabi, pickled ginger, lightly toasted sesame seeds.

· Sherm’s Ultimate Gripper – the dog is bacon-wrapped then deep-fried and topped with ham, homemade chili, cheese, mustard, bacon, hot peppers, onions and a fried egg.

· Tubby Dog (Truch’s creation) – mustard, homemade chili, sautéed onions, bacon bits and cheese.

· Atomic Dog - Bacon, Chili, cheese, onions, crushed potato chips, and mustard


peanut butter and jam on a hot dog?? am i just very blonde, or did i read that right?

Rin is offline  
Old
08-09-2006, 01:27 AM
  #91
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Lettuce I don't like, but, call me crazy, a few well placed olives can be a very nice change from time to time.

And thanks for all the donair tips guys!! It looks like I have a lot of places to try If there is a better donair then High Voltage, I gotta try it.
We get customers adding weird things to their donairs such as: feta cheese, olives, banana peppers, jalapenos...or people that get them with weird sauces such as sour cream, bbq sauce, ranch (which is ok..but not nearly as good as the garlic sauce my uncle makes), ceaser dressing...I couldn't imagine eating a donair with bbq sauce

Rin is offline  
Old
08-09-2006, 03:40 AM
  #92
Hairball
Registered User
 
Hairball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oiler Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
We get customers adding weird things to their donairs such as: feta cheese, olives, banana peppers, jalapenos...or people that get them with weird sauces such as sour cream, bbq sauce, ranch (which is ok..but not nearly as good as the garlic sauce my uncle makes), ceaser dressing...I couldn't imagine eating a donair with bbq sauce
No. it's not right.

Speaking of adding weird things to food. Has anyone else ever seen this? There's a pizza place in town here called Funky Pickle pizza. They offer a variety of standard add on toppings like parmasan cheese or hot sauce or salt and pepper. They also offer honey. And before anyone says that is strange, it is actually really good on pizza.

Hairball is offline  
Old
08-09-2006, 04:04 AM
  #93
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
No. it's not right.

Speaking of adding weird things to food. Has anyone else ever seen this? There's a pizza place in town here called Funky Pickle pizza. They offer a variety of standard add on toppings like parmasan cheese or hot sauce or salt and pepper. They also offer honey. And before anyone says that is strange, it is actually really good on pizza.
I've heard of that place, personally though...i hate honey, i only put it in my tea cuz i cant taste it there. We have a nacho pizza, which actually has nacho chips on it.

Rin is offline  
Old
08-09-2006, 07:29 AM
  #94
faneuil
Registered User
 
faneuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
They also offer honey. And before anyone says that is strange, it is actually really good on pizza.
Best pizza I ever had...
Ham and Pineapple with a drizzle of honey.

faneuil is offline  
Old
08-10-2006, 02:01 AM
  #95
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
I think the weirdest topping i have had on a pizza is Corn...i've also had hot dogs and nacho chips but those aren't bad.

EDIT: Or actually...i forgot i had a dessert pizza once which had like lemon pie filling and cheese on pizza dough...that was on one half and the other half was just pizza dough and like fruit cocktail with cheese on it.

Rin is offline  
Old
08-10-2006, 02:05 AM
  #96
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 50,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
Best pizza I ever had...
Ham and Pineapple with a drizzle of honey.
For Shizzle, a Drizzle???

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
08-10-2006, 02:11 AM
  #97
PunjabiOil*
 
PunjabiOil*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,225
vCash: 500
There are only 2 places I can remember having a donair in Edmonton.

Checkers Pizza on Whyte ave - not good at all

Momma's Donair at West Edmonton Mall - very good, great sauce

PunjabiOil* is offline  
Old
08-10-2006, 02:33 AM
  #98
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
There are only 2 places I can remember having a donair in Edmonton.

Checkers Pizza on Whyte ave - not good at all

Momma's Donair at West Edmonton Mall - very good, great sauce
I think i had a donair there when i was living in edmonton, but i dont think i liked it. I had 3 donairs from 3 different places...and none were as good as the ones we have here. I think the best one i had was one from a place on whyte ave (i know...that does nothing) but i think it was close to a tim hortons if that helps...and the donair was ginormous...it tasted great when i was eating it, but i remember feeling VERY sick after i was about 3/4 of the way done, then i slept like 15hours straight...

Rin is offline  
Old
08-10-2006, 02:35 AM
  #99
PunjabiOil*
 
PunjabiOil*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I think the best one i had was one from a place on whyte ave (i know...that does nothing) but i think it was close to a tim hortons if that helps.
Hmm...that's close to Bar Wild, Thirsty Turtle, Funky Pickle....not sure of the name of the restaurant either, or if it even has a name.

PunjabiOil* is offline  
Old
08-10-2006, 02:38 AM
  #100
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Hmm...that's close to Bar Wild, Thirsty Turtle, Funky Pickle....not sure of the name of the restaurant either, or if it even has a name.
the whole front of it is glass windows...it might be yellow in there, and theres some benches across the windows with like 9 or 10 other tables inside. And you walk to the far end of the restaurant to place your order. And there was a man and a teenage girl working there when i went. I think i remember someone saying something about queen donair?


EDIT: If this is queen donair on whyte http://www.digiteyesed.com/portfolio...4/10/00032.php thats not it

Rin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.