Non-Minnesota NHL News IX

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
J22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Pittsburgh picking up Douglas Murray in addition to Brenden Morrow last week. Aggressive. I like it. Hope the Wild don't just sit on their hands.
At this point, I'm not sure getting Morrow and Murray is much better than Rupp and Clark. Murray has gotten worse every time I have watched him this year.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Pittsburgh picking up Douglas Murray in addition to Brenden Morrow last week. Aggressive. I like it. Hope the Wild don't just sit on their hands.
I always respect ya, Jarick, but I have to disagree. I am not opposed to a trade but I am completely content with GMCF seeing where this team takes itself.

I don't think the Wild are in the same position as Penguins, or Boston, etc (they are in their window to win cups). I also think that this team needs to fight for the playoffs and go through the playoffs on its own as a part of its development.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
I always respect ya, Jarick, but I have to disagree. I am not opposed to a trade but I am completely content with GMCF seeing where this team takes itself.

I don't think the Wild are in the same position as Penguins, or Boston, etc (they are in their window to win cups). I also think that this team needs to fight for the playoffs and go through the playoffs on its own as a part of its development.
I'm not opposed to the Wild making a trade, as long as we don't give up any major prospects or picks for a rental player.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
At this point, I'm not sure getting Morrow and Murray is much better than Rupp and Clark. Murray has gotten worse every time I have watched him this year.
It'd be nice to see what we have in Clark, but at this point, Morrow is better than Rupp. But again, it'd be nice to see what we have in Clark before we make any deadline deals. I think our forwards are pretty much set too, I don't see us making any moves there.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I'm not opposed to the Wild making a trade, as long as we don't give up any major prospects or picks for a rental player.
I agree with this. I would add that I do not want the player received to block Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, MiG, etc.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
I agree with this. I would add that I do not want the player received to block Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, MiG, etc.
We have both Granlunds now?

I don't think we'd have to worry about a rental blocking Granlund, I think he's in the AHL to stay until the Aeros are eliminated from the playoffs, in which case he'll be called up just in case.

As far as Zucker and Coyle go, if we can get a piece that's better than them without giving up too much, I'm fine with them not playing. They're not irreplaceable at this point.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Is there a Youtube of this somewhere?
15-page thread on the main board was locked without anyone posting a video. Someone posted these though:

The angle I saw on tv made the Getzlaf kick look much different. This looks so sad I might like it more though.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post
15-page thread on the main board was locked without anyone posting a video. Someone posted these though:

The angle I saw on tv made the Getzlaf kick look much different. This looks so sad I might like it more though.
That's hilarious. I'm we'll never have to worry about our three captains pulling a stunt like that.

I could Koivu freaking out on a ref like Selanne did, and maaaaybe Parise, but Suter has ice where his blood should be, so I don't think he'd get to that point. And none of them seem like the type to slam their stick against the glass or throw it on the ground and kick it.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

I'd also prefer to stick with what we have, including Bouchard. I feel really good about the team we have. I doubt we'll win the cup but we are on the upwards swing.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

What is Selänne saying? Can't read his lips.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
We have both Granlunds now?

I don't think we'd have to worry about a rental blocking Granlund, I think he's in the AHL to stay until the Aeros are eliminated from the playoffs, in which case he'll be called up just in case.

As far as Zucker and Coyle go, if we can get a piece that's better than them without giving up too much, I'm fine with them not playing. They're not irreplaceable at this point.
My bad, haha.

As for the second bolded statement. I agree, they are not irreplaceable. However, if they are in the plan for the future, I believe that the playoff experience is more important for them than having a new piece (unless that is a piece that adds to our core) come in, take their spot and be gone in a year or two when the Wild are more of a contender.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I'ld be down for Fletch pulling a "hockey trade" if a good option came up, but like some others have said, this is not our year. We still have too many holes to fill and positions that could really use an upgrade, that no rental would be able to fix.

I do hope something comes over the summer though. I don't want us just sitting pat, hoping our cupboards will fill everything though.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:09 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Murray looked pretty well awful in that last game against the Wild. Surprised any team would pay that price for a defender like him. Especially when the number of games you're getting from a potential rental is drastically different this year than what you'd get in a normal year.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

hockey trade is the only thing that'll actually help us, and even then it won't be by a whole lot considering our trading partner is likely not a complete idiot and won't be trading a superior player for scraps.

call it sitting on our hands if you want, but there isn't anything we can do outside of trading away assets that would benefit our team a whole lot (on paper). FWIW trading Powe for Rupp wasn't any more sitting-on-hands than pitt trading for Murray. It was only bold in that they traded future flexibility for depth today, which seems a little stupid if it was the wild doing it.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:25 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post

Does anyone else have visions of little kids on a playground pouting after losing a game of 4-square or something

I wonder if the coach bought them ice cream after the game to dry those tears

Old
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Tuomaz

I have full confidence in Fletcher. He's been making good trades lately.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Just saw that Pittsburgh got Brendan Morrow + 3rd for Joe Morrow + 5th. Wow. I think that was a great deal for Dallas. I really like Joe Morrow.. and then when you consider how much Brendan has declined and his contract (or lack thereof) -- looks like Pittsburgh wants to win this year.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not a fan of Douglas Murray, I think a 2nd and a 3rd is too much. He's one of those "stay at home defensemen" who don't break the puck out well and is typically bottom of the barrel for his team's Corsi.

But I like Pittsburgh going for it.

Boyle though, that's the guy I'd go for. Great puck mover and can play lots of minutes, just would really help out any time from the back end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Does anyone else have visions of little kids on a playground pouting after losing a game of 4-square or something

I wonder if the coach bought them ice cream after the game to dry those tears
Boudreau loves his ice cream!

Old
03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
J22

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Douglas Murray, I think a 2nd and a 3rd is too much. He's one of those "stay at home defensemen" who don't break the puck out well and is typically bottom of the barrel for his team's Corsi.

But I like Pittsburgh going for it.

Boyle though, that's the guy I'd go for. Great puck mover and can play lots of minutes, just would really help out any time from the back end.

Boudreau loves his ice cream!
Trading for Boyle would mean moving Brodin to the 2nd pair, or moving Spurgeon out of the lineup.
Still wouldnt get faulk out of the lineup.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Trading for Boyle would mean moving Brodin to the 2nd pair, or moving Spurgeon out of the lineup.
Still wouldnt get faulk out of the lineup.
I think he means from Pittsburgh's perspective. Boyle's too old for the Wild.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Seems that Tampa isn't going after Ruff.

Quote:
Piling on to the speculation...expect Tampa Bay to announce Jon Cooper as head coach as early as tomorrow. #TSN
Seems like Boucher lost the veterans and the team would need a veteran coach themselves. Not sure how a rookie coach is going to work.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd for sure take Boyle for the Wild. Probably wouldn't give up what it would take to get him though. You don't turn down quality puck movers, especially when Clayton Stoner is on your second pairing.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
J22

Quote:
I'd for sure take Boyle for the Wild. Probably wouldn't give up what it would take to get him though. You don't turn down quality puck movers, especially when Clayton Stoner is on your second pairing.
Who would you pair him with? Boyle is a great player, and is exactly what the PP is lacking, but a RH puckmover isnt the Wilds biggest need on D.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
goatvindaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Seems that Tampa isn't going after Ruff.

Seems like Boucher lost the veterans and the team would need a veteran coach themselves. Not sure how a rookie coach is going to work.
Cooper had 5+ more years experience as head coach before going into the NHL and was a GM for two years in the USHL. So while he isn't a veteran he is probably more veteran than Boucher.
I've always felt that Ruff has been an obsolete coach since the league got ride of the two-line pass.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Who would you pair him with? Boyle is a great player, and is exactly what the PP is lacking, but a RH puckmover isnt the Wilds biggest need on D.
Probably Gilbert because of how good Brodin-Suter have been. In a perfect world you'd have left and right hand guys paired together but I would not touch that pairing. I would take an experienced, quality RH puck mover over Stoner.

Closed Thread