HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas

Old
03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

vCash: 500
Tim Thomas

Posted a comment about this in the "Around the NHL" thread, but not sure how many of you look through it.

Just wondering, if you guys would be "all in" on signing Thomas this off-season to say a two-year deal or if you would be completely against it.

The way I see it is that Marty could help convince Tim to join him in Tampa and he could be a good stop gap until Vasilevski's ready. Also, he could help mentor Lindback and he's old enough that Lindback should still see 40% of the starts, while also giving Lindy more time to develop and refine his game.

What do you all think?

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Posted a comment about this in the "Around the NHL" thread, but not sure how many of you look through it.

Just wondering, if you guys would be "all in" on signing Thomas this off-season to say a two-year deal or if you would be completely against it.

The way I see it is that Marty could help convince Tim to join him in Tampa and he could be a good stop gap until Vasilevski's ready. Also, he could help mentor Lindback and he's old enough that Lindback should still see 40% of the starts, while also giving Lindy more time to develop and refine his game.

What do you all think?
I don't think he'd be very good. Older guy and hasn't played in a year. Plus he has attitude problems

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Yzlamic Extremist
Johnny Ugly

I would take him over Garon. I think he still has a lot in the tank.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I don't think he'd be very good. Older guy and hasn't played in a year. Plus he has attitude problems
Really? He's only one year removed from being an elite goalie in this league. I can guarantee that we'll be looking to be competitive next year and will be looking to make the playoffs in order to keep the interest of fans, as well as matching the ambitions of our players.

The alternative would be to pin all our hopes on Lindy, but I'm not convinced he's ready yet or can stay healthy over an entire season. Plus, Tim would cost us nothing but money on a short-term deal.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
Really? He's only one year removed from being an elite goalie in this league. I can guarantee that we'll be looking to be competitive next year and will be looking to make the playoffs in order to keep the interest of fans, as well as matching the ambitions of our players.

The alternative would be to pin all our hopes on Lindy, but I'm not convinced he's ready yet or can stay healthy over an entire season. Plus, Tim would cost us nothing but money on a short-term deal.
Stop saying Lindy. Its like Beetlejuice. You say "Lindy" enough times and the wrong one is going to appear.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 50
I know what I hate, and I would not hate this.

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Sky04

Don't know why this was never brought up before here, it's not a bad idea, if we can sign Thomas to a low risk 2 year deal why not? Sure as hell beats taking on half decent 5+million dollar goalies from other threads.

If Thomas is on his game, we're cup contenders, if not, at worst he becomes a backup and Lindback gets more starting time. However I doubt Thomas will slip that far behind if he does decide to come back.

Marty-Thomas would be a great story also.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

I wouldn't do 2 years on him. I would do 1 year and see what happens. With his age and primadona republican beliefs, 1 year is the most you can expect him to stay.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Don't know why this was never brought up before here, it's not a bad idea, if we can sign Thomas to a low risk 2 year deal why not? Sure as hell beats taking on half decent 5+million dollar goalies from other threads.

If Thomas is on his game, we're cup contenders, if not, at worst he becomes a backup and Lindback gets more starting time. However I doubt Thomas will slip that far behind if he does decide to come back.

My thinking exactly! We're currently stocking up one of the best and deepest prospect cupboards in the league, why sacrifice pieces we already have and/or ones we could get (future picks) for a goaltender when we have Vasilevski in the system?

Thomas was an elite goaltender before his one year hiatus, would not cost us anything besides money in a contract, is really good friends with Marty and he's a veteran leader who can be a stabilizing presence in net. Seems like a perfect stop gap solution for our team .

Old
03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post

Actually, given his history with Marty and Rask making him expendable for the Bruins, bringing in Thomas has always been a topic around here - until he announced that he would take the year off.

That said, he's now 38 and hasn't played all season long. I'm not as sold on him as I was maybe a year ago.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM
The YzerJesus
HoseEmAllAround

Quote:
Just a random thought, but what if Marty convinced Tim Thomas to join the Lightning for the next two years this summer? He's a year removed from being an elite goalie and he'd be the perfect stop gap until Vasilevski's ready. Also, he's old enough that he'll need Lindback to play 40% of the games and would allow him more time to develop and refine his game.
Nooooo. He's a gazillion years old. One does not simply take two seasons off and come back and be elite. Especially at that age.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
BoltSTH

Doubt he would come to Florida as state went for Obama in last election, and water table too near the surface to make an underground shelter practical.

Mind you, guns are easy to get here so that is a plus.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Actually, given his history with Marty and Rask making him expendable for the Bruins, bringing in Thomas has always been a topic around here - until he announced that he would take the year off.

That said, he's now 38 and hasn't played all season long. I'm not as sold on him as I was maybe a year ago.
This is a valid concern, but I'm not comfortable going into next season with Lindback as our #1 again (injury history and inconsistency this year). Are you?

Thomas strikes me as the best alternative in FA as a stop-gap solution, due to the elite level he was at a year ago and his frienship with Marty. We could also look at Backstrom, but I feel as though Minny will re-sign him or that he'll be looking for a slightly longer deal than say Thomas (maybe three years?).

Old
03-25-2013, 05:58 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
Nooooo. He's a gazillion years old. One does not simply take two seasons off and come back and be elite. Especially at that age.
When did Thomas take two seasons off? This comes as news to me.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:59 PM
The YzerJesus
HoseEmAllAround

Quote:
When did Thomas take two seasons off? This comes as news to me.
Ok, season and a half. Last and this.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
This is a valid concern, but I'm not comfortable going into next season with Lindback as our #1 again (injury history and inconsistency this year). Are you?

Thomas strikes me as the best alternative in FA as a stop-gap solution, due to the elite level he was at a year ago and his frienship with Marty. We could also look at Backstrom, but I feel as though Minny will re-sign him or that he'll be looking for a slightly longer deal than say Thomas (maybe three years?).
No, I'm with you there. I just doubt that yet another old goalie is the solution to our unending goaltending problem. Especially when he hasn't played a single game all year long and went out the way he did.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
MattM92

Quote:

If Thomas has kept in shape and seems ready to play, sign him to a 1 year deal for 2-3 million. If not let Lindback take the reigns with Garon or another veteran as backup. I like Lindback's potential, but with a young goalie you've gotta give him games. Boucher refused to ride him when he started to pick it up and then got an ankle sprain. Hopefully Coop is better with that

Old
03-25-2013, 06:05 PM
HoseEmDown

I believe the islanders hold his rights even after this season as he didn't play and hasn't filed retirement paperwork. They can keep him on the inactive roster, not pay him and keep the caphit. We'd have to trade for him and he went for a 2nd when it was known he wouldn't play.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I believe the islanders hold his rights even after this season as he didn't play and hasn't filed retirement paperwork. They can keep him on the inactive roster, not pay him and keep the caphit. We'd have to trade for him and he went for a 2nd when it was known he wouldn't play.
True. If Thomas doesn't play this season the Islanders could toll Thomas' contract forward another year until the end of 2013-14.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
No, I'm with you there. I just doubt that yet another old goalie is the solution to our unending goaltending problem. Especially when he hasn't played a single game all year long and went out the way he did.
Quote:
If Thomas has kept in shape and seems ready to play, sign him to a 1 year deal for 2-3 million. If not let Lindback take the reigns with Garon or another veteran as backup. I like Lindback's potential, but with a young goalie you've gotta give him games. Boucher refused to ride him when he started to pick it up and then got an ankle sprain. Hopefully Coop is better with that
Agreed, I don't see Thomas taking us to a cup either, but I'd rather make a push for the playoffs next year with a proven goalie than have Lindback shoulder the burden again. I guess Thomas was just the first option that sprung to mind when looking at the available UFA goalies we could sign on a short-term deal.

I see great potential in Lindback, he's capable of some outstanding saves and performances but seems to suffer from poor rebound control and a gaping five hole. In the last couple games he started, he also sort of seemed mentally out of it and was constantly fighting to find the puck.

My suggestion for an older, experienced goalie was to play with Lindback and split the responsibility, not necessarily be our undisputed starter. Either way, I have high hopes for Vasilevski and hope anyone we acquire will be a stop-gap solution until he's ready.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Did not realize this could be a possibility. I wonder if the Isles will play hardball with him like they did with Nabokov. That would suck for Thomas if they did, but I guess he brought this on himself when he decided to take a hiatus from hockey.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Doubt he would come to Florida as state went for Obama in last election, and water table too near the surface to make an underground shelter practical.

Mind you, guns are easy to get here so that is a plus.
you win the internet today.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Agreed, I don't see Thomas taking us to a cup either, but I'd rather make a push for the playoffs next year with a proven goalie than have Lindback shoulder the burden again. I guess Thomas was just the first option that sprung to mind when looking at the available UFA goalies we could sign on a short-term deal.

I see great potential in Lindback, he's capable of some outstanding saves and performances but seems to suffer from poor rebound control and a gaping five hole. In the last couple games he started, he also sort of seemed mentally out of it and was constantly fighting to find the puck.

My suggestion for an older, experienced goalie was to play with Lindback and split the responsibility, not necessarily be our undisputed starter. Either way, I have high hopes for Vasilevski and hope anyone we acquire will be a stop-gap solution until he's ready.
I'm not a fan of the whole 'two #1 goalies' thing. If we have two, we don't have one. Look at the last 10 teams to win the Cup, how many had a 1A/1B and how many had a #1?

2012: Quick
2011: Thomas
2010: Niemi (#1 in playoffs)
2009: Fleury
2008: Osgood (Same as Niemi)
2007: Giguere
2006: Ward
2004: Khabibulin
2003: Brodeur
2002: Hasek
2001: Roy

Old
03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the whole 'two #1 goalies' thing. If we have two, we don't have one. Look at the last 10 teams to win the Cup, how many had a 1A/1B and how many had a #1?

2012: Quick
2011: Thomas
2010: Niemi (#1 in playoffs)
2009: Fleury
2008: Osgood (Same as Niemi)
2007: Giguere
2006: Ward
2004: Khabibulin
2003: Brodeur
2002: Hasek
2001: Roy
Who's to say one doesn't win the job in/prior to the playoffs like Niemi/Osgood? We need to make the playoffs first and foremost and I think a goalie like Thomas could help bring us there. I like Lindback and think he's got potential, but we'll be doing ourselves a disservice if he's our #1 going into next season again, unless it's another rebuilding year.

Plus, I'd rather us sign an experienced netminder in FA for nothing than trade significant prospects and picks for a "#1 goalie".

Old
03-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Can't this be easily solved by signing him to a tryout contract? If he is rusty from that taking off that 1-1.5 years off, then we can let him go. If he delivers, sign him.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote