HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Actually no, they're not. Anyone who says that doesn't understand the difference between RFA and UFA.
Two things set-up Hall and Eberle's contracts: 1) Jeff Skinner's 2nd contract, and 2) the Oilers' marketing department that established these two as the future of the team. Skinner's contract set their market price and the marketing department ensured that any attempt to play hardball against this price would result in a huge public backlash.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Maybe Semin has turned the corner? If he hasn't and goes back to the guy that mailed it in for a few years....that'll be one ugly contract.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Maybe Semin has turned the corner? If he hasn't and goes back to the guy that mailed it in for a few years....that'll be one ugly contract.
Ya he's definitely not a guy I'd want to give a long term contract to

Old
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Wow that's a lot for Semin. Hall and Eberle contracts are looking pretty good right now.
Uhh?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Uhh?
Too bad he got fat over the offseason, or the thing we're saying now.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Two things set-up Hall and Eberle's contracts: 1) Jeff Skinner's 2nd contract, and 2) the Oilers' marketing department that established these two as the future of the team. Skinner's contract set their market price and the marketing department ensured that any attempt to play hardball against this price would result in a huge public backlash.
I disagree with the second. Management has to have the stones to not cave to every agent demand, especially on long term deals. Take a look at PK Subban's contract - did Montreal build him up as the future of the team? You betcha. Did the GM cave in? Heck no.

Any GM who doesn't have the stones to risk public backlash shouldn't be doing their job. Remember Lowe's trading of Ryan Smyth as the Messier jersey ceremony? I disagreed with the trade but respected the stones it took.

And just how stupid is the public anyways? Business is business and a lower contract now means more money for other players and hopefully a better team.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
belair

I will argue to the death that if Alex Semin were somehow cast in Oilers' silks he'd be nothing other than a glorified Ales Hemsky.

That being said, I won't argue against Semin earning that contract on his own and that it could end up being a solid deal for Carolina long-term.

They've got a lot of money tied up in their top players and if they think they can complete the 'Staal recovery project', someone big has to be on the move. Canes fans had better hope Rutherford knows what he's doing.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pittsburgh trading away a 2nd rounder (maybe two?) for a 5/6 guy..

Guess they probably don't need the picks.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
UFA vs RFA, and 3rd contract vs 2nd contract. Different ball-game altogether. Additionally, we can only hope that Eberle and Hall turn into the consistent scorer than Semin already is. I don't like Semin as a player, and hate that contract he just signed if I'm a Carolina fan. I'm just pointing out that you can't really compare Semin's contract with Hall and Eberle's.
Sure you can look at it that way. I get that. You are always going to overpay for UFAs. Having said that, Edmonton needs to take advantage of these contracts.

Sure Eberle might not be that great this year but I'm sure he will easily earn his contract by the time it's over.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Sure you can look at it that way. I get that. You are always going to overpay for UFAs. Having said that, Edmonton needs to take advantage of these contracts.

Sure Eberle might not be that great this year but I'm sure he will easily earn his contract by the time it's over.
I think Carolina fans would say the same about Semin.

All the negative stuff about him in Washington hasn't followed him to Carolina. Canes players have said he's a great teammate and it sounds like he's putting in 100% effort and, to me, when Semin is trying, he's one of the best players in the league.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Semin has been unreal in Carolina, he's earned that contract.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
belair

With all this money flying around, I'm secretly hoping we can get Gagner signed to a 2 year deal prior to the deadline. He deserves a raise, but it would be nice if we can keep the cap hit nice and low.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I'd rather keep Smid too, I'm just saying I can see Tambo and crew reverting to usual ways and dealing him if the Wings came calling with that 1st rounder.
I hear ya. Hopefully our fearless leader is learning and doesn't do something stupid like that.

As for dealing players away for picks I'm all for it if it's for players like Whitney or Potter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Ugly is right, that's one BIG commitment for an even bigger maybe.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I'd be okay getting Dekeyser, and I think we have a solid chance with everything that has been said. I mean, lose the next two games and we're in next year country already. Might as well offer him a spot on the team this year and develop him. I'd prefer vets and being in the playoff hunt, but if it isn't happening, add better vets in the offseason and re-tool then (not re-build.)

Old
03-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I'd be okay getting Dekeyser, and I think we have a solid chance with everything that has been said. I mean, lose the next two games and we're in next year country already. Might as well offer him a spot on the team this year and develop him. I'd prefer vets and being in the playoff hunt, but if it isn't happening, add better vets in the offseason and re-tool then (not re-build.)
As tempting as that would be, I think the safe bet is to let him get his feet wet in the AHL first and see how that goes.

This team needs to learn how to start developing prospects correctly and let some guys work their way through the system. I'd hate to see him get caught like a deer in headlights with the speed of the NHL and put anything in his head right off the bat.

Edit: to add to that discussion...

@TSNBobMcKenzie
TB will get first up close look at recent signee D Andrej Sustr at tomorrow's game-day skate. Not expected to play tho. Beyond that, TBD.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
As tempting as that would be, I think the safe bet is to let him get his feet wet in the AHL first and see how that goes.

This team needs to learn how to start developing prospects correctly and let some guys work their way through the system. I'd hate to see him get caught like a deer in headlights with the speed of the NHL and put anything in his head right off the bat.

Edit: to add to that discussion...

@TSNBobMcKenzie
TB will get first up close look at recent signee D Andrej Sustr at tomorrow's game-day skate. Not expected to play tho. Beyond that, TBD.
I think NHL games to burn the first year of the ELC would be one of the main things Dekeyser will be looking for in a pitch.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I think NHL games to burn the first year of the ELC would be one of the main things Dekeyser will be looking for in a pitch.
Oh yeah, that's true. Good point. NVM

Old
03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

LOL@ Semin hate.

He's outplayed Eric Staal all season long, and has been downright dominant with his 2way play this season

Semin had always craved this role - a #1 LW leaned upon in critical moments. Playing in Ovechkin's shadow did that to him - and he became a lazy one.

He's been one of the better 2-way forwards in the league for a while now - his league-leading plus/minus over the last 4-5 years proves that.

The package he brings offensively far supersedes that of any of our kids.

CAR took a risk on him and its paying off. That extension is well earned.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Semin has been unreal in Carolina, he's earned that contract.
Semin goes MIA when he gets a new contract and this time next year you will be saying the opposite

Old
03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
LOL@ Semin hate.

He's outplayed Eric Staal all season long, and has been downright dominant with his 2way play this season

Semin had always craved this role - a #1 LW leaned upon in critical moments. Playing in Ovechkin's shadow did that to him - and he became a lazy one.

He's been one of the better 2-way forwards in the league for a while now - his league-leading plus/minus over the last 4-5 years proves that.

The package he brings offensively far supersedes that of any of our kids.

CAR took a risk on him and its paying off. That extension is well earned.
The only thing against that I would say is that, essentially he has the reputation that he does because of the way he's played since he entered the league.

If he really "craved" being relied on that much, I would think that he would have done whatever he needed to put himself in that situation, regardless of what Ovechkin is doing.

Obviously it's possible he may have turned that corner and is a new and improved Semin, but IMO I just think that's a large commitment for me to make based on what he's done in the past.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

ducks and flyers reportedly talking deal for bobby ryan

Old
03-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I disagree with the second. Management has to have the stones to not cave to every agent demand, especially on long term deals. Take a look at PK Subban's contract - did Montreal build him up as the future of the team? You betcha. Did the GM cave in? Heck no.

Any GM who doesn't have the stones to risk public backlash shouldn't be doing their job. Remember Lowe's trading of Ryan Smyth as the Messier jersey ceremony? I disagreed with the trade but respected the stones it took.

And just how stupid is the public anyways? Business is business and a lower contract now means more money for other players and hopefully a better team.
The Oilers have been selling hope since the 2006 Cup run. The general public may be stupid, but they are the ones filling the season ticket list in hopes of getting in on the ground floor of a Cup winning team. What would alienating Hall and Eberle over their second contracts accomplish? Like it or not, the Oilers have hitched their wagon to those players and need to lock them down over an extended term to start building a long-term core. After Tavares, Skinner and Seguin got their money, Edmonton would look foolish trying to rebuild and yet refusing to pay their young stars market value.

Subban lost all his leverage when the Habs came flying out the gate with a strong PP led by Markov and Diaz. The Oilers without Hall and Eberle would most likely increase their value after the losses mounted up.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
ducks and flyers reportedly talking deal for bobby ryan
Link? (Not doubting you. Just curious what the source is)

Old
03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Semin goes MIA when he gets a new contract and this time next year you will be saying the opposite
Which one of the last three one-year contracts did he play big to get and then go MIA?

After his entry level deal, he had one multi-year deal where he went 1.27 PPG then 1.15 PPG - definition of MIA I guess.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:21 PM
dem

If Bobby Ryan is available and we aren't trying to get in on it.... I don't know what to say.

Closed Thread