HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mitchell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
  #176
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,393
vCash: 500
I did have my wife ask her cousin and this is how the discussion went through text:

Me to wife: "Can you ask what's going on with Willie?"
Wife to cousin "What's going on with Willie?"
Cousin to wife: "He's injured."
Wife to me: "He's injured."
Me to wife: "Yeah, I know that, but what's going on with him?"
Wife to cousin: "He know's he's injured, but wants to know what's going on?"
Cousin to wife: "Knee surgery."
Wife to me: "Knee surgery."
Me to wife: "Yes, I know it's knee surgery, but will he be back this year?"
Wife to cousin: "He knows it's knee surgery, but will he be back this year?"
Cousin to wife: "Yes. Getting better slowly but surely."
Wife to me: "Yes. Getting better slowly but surely."

I didn't want to pry about how and when the injury happened. So, whoever said it was a concussion is wrong. It's what we have been told.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:09 PM
  #177
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Is there ANYTHING new on Mitchell's status?

We got a month to go until the end of the season...I think our chances of having playoff success is going to take a big drop if we don't get him back.

I just find it so strange that whatever this guy is suffering from is obviously significant enough to keep it out for MONTHS, yet it's this big secret? I don't get it....
I agree, I find it weird as well. This is where I wish the Kings were in Canada, the media would be in a frenzy over this, especially a cup defending team.

I really don't get why we can't be told some info on the injury. I don't think the Kings have even actually declared it as a leg injury or a concussion or anything yet. It was a leg injury (I think) at the start of the season, but then he was medial cleared, and after that everything went Level 8 Top Secret. I don't see why it has to be so hush-hush.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:12 PM
  #178
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
I did have my wife ask her cousin and this is how the discussion went through text:

Me to wife: "Can you ask what's going on with Willie?"
Wife to cousin "What's going on with Willie?"
Cousin to wife: "He's injured."
Wife to me: "He's injured."
Me to wife: "Yeah, I know that, but what's going on with him?"
Wife to cousin: "He know's he's injured, but wants to know what's going on?"
Cousin to wife: "Knee surgery."
Wife to me: "Knee surgery."
Me to wife: "Yes, I know it's knee surgery, but will he be back this year?"
Wife to cousin: "He knows it's knee surgery, but will he be back this year?"
Cousin to wife: "Yes. Getting better slowly but surely."
Wife to me: "Yes. Getting better slowly but surely."

I didn't want to pry about how and when the injury happened. So, whoever said it was a concussion is wrong. It's what we have been told.
Thanks. this seems to gel with what TG said on the issue. TG (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) I believe implie there was a chance he'll be back in the coming weeks, but it's up in the air because one day thigs will look good, the next there will be a setback, then good, then not so good, etc.

As for the cussion, doesn't shock me. Ever since his Vancouver days (and maybe before that) that's what everyone jumps to do to his history.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
  #179
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Ok, here is the latest on Willie from what I know.

First, thanks Scott, great to hear another person shed some more light on things.

He is stronger today then he was two weeks ago. He keeps feeling like he is moving forward now even on the days that he hurts. His feelings are Knees are trickier then I ever knew but I am working to get back asap. I want to play for another cup' allegedly.

I remain optimistic about his return but it is more based on knowing who the guy is and how he sees things than anything else. If he could lace em up today and play through the pain the guy would.

Missing a season due to his concussion was the worst time of his life and now he is going through missing a chunk of time again.

Guy wants to play.

I still believe that the team will talk about WM either sometime this week or early next week regarding a timetable for his return. I know that they have been wanting to but have been waiting for a solid step forward to do so. So is everyone else including WM.

The only way he misses the rest of the season is if he runs into a major set back (that would be including the playoffs) and if that happens I think it could be over for him.


So the team did give us an update on Greene and have talked about WillieM too.

Now lets see when a definitive is done on WM.


Last edited by etherialone: 03-29-2013 at 09:20 PM.
etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:53 PM
  #180
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,269
vCash: 500
No shame in it, Mitchell would go out a Champion.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
  #181
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Thanks TG.

Is there any reason why the Kings seem so reluctant to at least tell people why he's out? Why is it so hushed?

Also, any more on Greene? Wasn't he due back roughly by the end of this month?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:04 PM
  #182
tsanuri
Registered User
 
tsanuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grants Pass OR
Country: United States
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Where it might be nice to have updates let's be honest about it, it's not any of our business.
And I'm sure if any of us were in a position where we were hurt we wouldn't want details blasted all over the place.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
  #183
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Ok, here is the latest on Willie from what I know.

First, thanks Scott, great to hear another person shed some more light on things.

He is stronger today then he was two weeks ago. He keeps feeling like he is moving forward now even on the days that he hurts. His feelings are Knees are trickier then I ever knew but I am working to get back asap. I want to play for another cup' allegedly.

I remain optimistic about his return but it is more based on knowing who the guy is and how he sees things than anything else. If he could lace em up today and play through the pain the guy would.

Missing a season due to his concussion was the worst time of his life and now he is going through missing a chunk of time again.

Guy wants to play.

I still believe that the team will talk about WM either sometime this week or early next week regarding a timetable for his return. I know that they have been wanting to but have been waiting for a solid step forward to do so. So is everyone else including WM.

The only way he misses the rest of the season is if he runs into a major set back (that would be including the playoffs) and if that happens I think it could be over for him.
No problem TG. Wish I could get more info about how it happened, but like I said, I didn't want to pry anymore than I already had.
I always had that thought that Willie would be back at some point this season because Dean hasn't made that move for a veteran stay at home d-man yet. He brought in a stop gap in Ellerby until both Greene and Willie come back. Yes Dean said he had to look at it as Willie and Greene were gone for the season, but if he actually believed that he would've made that move for a veteran d-man.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
  #184
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Thanks TG.

Is there any reason why the Kings seem so reluctant to at least tell people why he's out? Why is it so hushed?

Also, any more on Greene? Wasn't he due back roughly by the end of this month?
They probably seem so reluctant because really, it's a day-to-day thing right now. Nothing to really tell people. He's out after having knee surgery. Nothing more to say. He'll play when he's ready.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
  #185
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Thanks TG.

Is there any reason why the Kings seem so reluctant to at least tell people why he's out? Why is it so hushed?

Also, any more on Greene? Wasn't he due back roughly by the end of this month?
Its funny about MG because he is not only on track but due back in a week or so but he isn't skating with our trainers yet. Doing his dailies but not working on much more. Maybe they are just taking it slow; I haven't heard of any setbacks so maybe no news is good news?

Like it allot more if I had more to say on MG but I haven't heard anything new so maybe that is good news.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
  #186
DaAnimal
Registered User
 
DaAnimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pasadena
Country: United States
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Ok, here is the latest on Willie from what I know.

First, thanks Scott, great to hear another person shed some more light on things.

He is stronger today then he was two weeks ago. He keeps feeling like he is moving forward now even on the days that he hurts. His feelings are Knees are trickier then I ever knew but I am working to get back asap. I want to play for another cup' allegedly.

I remain optimistic about his return but it is more based on knowing who the guy is and how he sees things than anything else. If he could lace em up today and play through the pain the guy would.

Missing a season due to his concussion was the worst time of his life and now he is going through missing a chunk of time again.

Guy wants to play.

I still believe that the team will talk about WM either sometime this week or early next week regarding a timetable for his return. I know that they have been wanting to but have been waiting for a solid step forward to do so. So is everyone else including WM.

The only way he misses the rest of the season is if he runs into a major set back (that would be including the playoffs) and if that happens I think it could be over for him.
I'm optimistic about his return as well. He is badly missed and a lot of people are still clueless about. He and Scuds are very vital to our defense.

Thanks for the update. Hoping for the best.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
  #187
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Ok, excuse me if this has been covered already....but when the hell did he hurt his knee?? Why did he need surgery?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
  #188
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
They probably seem so reluctant because really, it's a day-to-day thing right now. Nothing to really tell people. He's out after having knee surgery. Nothing more to say. He'll play when he's ready.

Really, it's just a day-to-day thing? The dude hasn't played a single minute since the season started TWO months ago.

Anytime any other player is day-to-day, you usually would get an update every, ummm, I don't know....DAY?

SO, it is more like he's MONTH-TO-MONTH?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
  #189
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
He meant day to day on how his progress is going so there isn't really any reason to keep up with updates sort of thing.
I don't recall the KINGS ever coming out an commenting on Mitchell's status...whether there has been any progress or not....I'd like to know why.

If it was Sidney Crosby...you'd have an official 'NO PROGRESS' twice a day. I'd just like an update maybe every couple weeks on what's going on with this guy.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:43 PM
  #190
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
 
Puck U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Apple Valley, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
I don't recall the KINGS ever coming out an commenting on Mitchell's status...whether there has been any progress or not....I'd like to know why.

If it was Sidney Crosby...you'd have an official 'NO PROGRESS' twice a day. I'd just like an update maybe every couple weeks on what's going on with this guy.

Last OFFICIAL word (was like 3 weeks ago or so now ?) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lombardi on 02/27/2013
Kings general manager Dean Lombardi said defenseman Willie Mitchell underwent platelet rich plasma therapy Tuesday for his surgically-repaired right knee, but there is no timetable for his return to the lineup. Mitchell has had a number of setbacks after undergoing surgery to repair torn meniscus in December.

Meanwhile, Lombardi also said defensemen Matt Greene (back surgery) and Alec Martinez (upper body injury) were on schedule to return from their injuries. Greene is actually ahead of schedule and might be back before the end of the regular season, with Martinez expected to be fit to play “shortly,” according to Lombardi.
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/201...-and-martinez/


Last edited by TonySCV: 03-25-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: disparaging remarks removed
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  #191
Minor Boarding
Registered User
 
Minor Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Corleone
Posts: 1,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Then you don't pay attention much, or read the GDT's here either ...


Last OFFICIAL word (was like 3 weeks ago or so now ?) ...



http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/201...-and-martinez/
That's kind of OLD news by this centuries standards...

I always think of this when someone tells old news:


Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:00 PM
  #192
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
The KINGS did come out and talk about WM. Look it up.

If Willie were Crosby then WE would all get daily updates. If WE were located on the East Coast (the KINGS) then WE would know what is going on with Willie every step of the way too.

Sadly winning the cup hasn't done too much to change the culture of how the press covers the Kings and until they do the team won't feel any real pressure to keep the average fan on top of everything.
This is so true. Hell, Kobe Bryant gets a paper cut and it's a media frenzy.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
  #193
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Really, it's just a day-to-day thing? The dude hasn't played a single minute since the season started TWO months ago.

Anytime any other player is day-to-day, you usually would get an update every, ummm, I don't know....DAY?

SO, it is more like he's MONTH-TO-MONTH?
How many updates were there about Martinez after it was said it was at least a week and he went on to miss 3 weeks? Reports aren't given daily, unless it's the playoffs, about an injured player.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:56 PM
  #194
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer
 
BallPointHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland, USA
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 801
vCash: 500
Maybe - with the trade deadline coming up and neither, either or both of Mitchell and Greene realistically about to return to the lineup, wouldn't the Kings be all the more content to not reveal any concrete information about them in order to have an advantage in trade talks?

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
  #195
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
it's a fair question.

The Willie Mitchell mystery is getting more mysterious by the day. I think most of us want to know what the heck happened?

But I also agree with ballpointehammer that the secrecy, at the end of the day, is probably beneficial to the Kings in some way be it trade negotiations, strategy, etc. If keeping it a secret is in some way benefitting the team then so be it. But if this guy blew out his knee snowboarding or something ridiculous like that and the team is just trying to protect his repuation that's an entirely different story.


Last edited by TonySCV: 03-25-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: references to posts that are now deleted were removed
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:33 PM
  #196
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 20,409
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post

The Willie Mitchell mystery is getting more mysterious by the day. I think most of us want to know what the heck happened?
.
It's time for Oliver Stone to do a documentary on this whole Willie Mitchell conspiracy.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
  #197
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,938
vCash: 500
Posting messages with comments that are solely designed to start a dispute isn't allowed, nor is flaming. Both happened in this thread, both have been dealt with to this point and both need to stop going forward please.

Gracias.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:04 PM
  #198
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,426
vCash: 500
Wonder if LA just doesn't want their highly respected player to get "pancaked" for an injury in an unusual off-ice situation...

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
  #199
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Where it might be nice to have updates let's be honest about it, it's not any of our business.
And I'm sure if any of us were in a position where we were hurt we wouldn't want details blasted all over the place.
Sorry, but I disagree that's it's none of our business. As a professional athlete, you are held to a different standard than you or I. People pay to see you play. If I wanted to see my favorite player play and I paid to come watch him, only to find out he wasn't playing, I'd be upset.

We don't need to know the details, but how long he'll be out for and why isn't a big deal. To say he'll be out 4 more weeks with a leg injury isn't to intrusive.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM
  #200
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 20,409
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Sorry, but I disagree that's it's none of our business. As a professional athlete, you are held to a different standard than you or I. People pay to see you play. If I wanted to see my favorite player play and I paid to come watch him, only to find out he wasn't playing, I'd be upset.

We don't need to know the details, but how long he'll be out for and why isn't a big deal. To say he'll be out 4 more weeks with a leg injury isn't to intrusive.
I agree with you in spirit, don't forget about the severely infrequent Deadmarsh and Allison updates.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.