HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Semin and Hurricanes agree to 5 year, 7 million avg deal

Old
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Cbh23

vCash: 500
Wow that is a good bit of money. Wish nothing but the best for Semin (except when he plays the Caps)

Cbh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Now if he can only start hitting the net.

I guess I better add this for the couple of posters who come unglued with comments like that.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:58 PM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

Thank god

I don't know how I would have handled watching my favourite player to play for this team in a while leave after one season

w e l o s t b o y s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:59 PM
CanesAvs16

I will be ordering a new Alex Semin jersey in the next week

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
What I'm saying is, in my opinion, trading off Skinner to gain Subban is robbing Peter to pay Paul. That top pairing Dman is a nice thing to have, but so is having multiple scoring lines. Sacrificing Skinner isn't the way to go about doing that.
That's a fair way to look at it. Provided these guys are healthy and motivated, they should score plenty which gets butts in the seats. I'm sure that's Rutherford's major motivation. I'm still of the belief that defense wins championships however (every team that's won the cup since the Canes).

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Now if he can only start hitting the net.

I guess I better add this for the couple of posters who come unglued with comments like that.
I don't think you need to add the sarcasm, I think its a legit criticism of the guy to this point. If he hit the net more, he would probably score more.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I'm definitely more open to the idea of trading Skinner now. Supposedly Myers might be available in Buffalo. I know our history of trading with them is non-existent and he's somewhat of a risk with his taking a step back this year but it's an idea.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Oogie Boogie

Happy that he is staying but.... The price?
Eehhhhhh.
Not so sure.
Regardless I'm glad JR was able to sign him to an extension

Oogie Boogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:06 PM
normalpsychology

vCash: 511
One of the few legit moves JR has ever made as a GM. Bravo. Low price to pay for talent like his.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Sens1Canes2

rocky07 staying on board for 5 more years? Day made.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
rocky07 staying on board for 5 more years? Day made.
Why would Gandler still post here now that his job is done?

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
ramp23

I am absolutely thrilled! JR has made a serious commitment to bettering this team. Who's to say there won't be more? And now you are talking about trading a player we were worshiping a year ago. Man, I don't get it! Do most of you just get off on being negative?

ramp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
LadyCane

Legitimately thrilled about this. I was super-excited to get Semin in the off-season last year and I am SO happy JR had the good sense to sign him. The man is an elite scorer, and he has great chemistry with Staal. If he continues to play like he's capable of doing, I am 100% okay with his paycheck.

LadyCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brooklyn Americans

Seems like a reasonable deal.

Brooklyn Americans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Well, I personally am happy that we get to keep him for a long-term contract, but I'm a bit leery about the $7M cap hit.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out, but I'm afraid about how this team will manage cap space for next season with the reduced salary cap.

bilpeto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Why would Gandler still post here now that his job is done?

I remember Gandler being Yashin's agent during his Ottawa years. Man was a true *******.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp23 View Post
I am absolutely thrilled! JR has made a serious commitment to bettering this team. Who's to say there won't be more? And now you are talking about trading a player we were worshiping a year ago. Man, I don't get it! Do most of you just get off on being negative?
I was suggesting trading Skinner a year ago, for the record.

The backlash re: Skinner comes from the expectation of continued improvement from young players. Skinner this season is basically the same player he was prior to this year, but people brushed off the glaring weaknesses in his game as due to being young, not as fundamental flaws. Now as time goes on they see that maybe Jeff Skinner is just simply bad defensively, doesn't utilize his teammates and can't keep his head up.

Also of note is that Alex Semin was not here a year ago. It's a lot easier for a player to capture the affection of fans when his competition is an Eric Staal off to the worst start of his career and not much else. Skinner was on pace for 55 points last year and had 61 points the year before. Alex Semin had better production over that same timespan and got labeled as some sort of chronic underachiever.

If Jeff Skinner wants to play garbage defense and hog the puck, he needs to put up a lot more than 60 points to justify his contract.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
bleedgreen

Seeing how he already makes 7, I'm no sure how we were ever going to get him for cheaper. Ufa's who are close to ppg playing first line minutes don't take pay cuts. You were living in fantasy land if you thought that.

In fact, I'm shocked we didn't have to give him a raise to keep him. I'd be pumped if it was three years, but that's the price of business.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
SkinnerStaal

I am glad we resigned Alex....but I am worried how it will affect the team two offseasons from now when Faulk and Tlusty as RFA's. McBain is also a RFA that same offseason but I really think he is getting traded before then.

We already have 44.4M tied up that offseason. Add in Jiri and Justin's new deals and that number could easily already be over 54M if they continue to play well. Hope that cap skyrockets like people are saying....

SkinnerStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Gr8Dan

The cap is going to drop next year to 64M which will make us a near cap team. But it has also been rumored to skyrocket the year after. I don't see us resigning Larose or Corvo next year to make space for future contracts.

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Woah...

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

That's a lot of money and a lot of years, but it's hard to argue that Semin hasn't earned it with his play this half-season.

I fail to see how this signing has any effect on Skinner's future. You do what you can to unload contracts like Jokinen's and Ruutu's before you deal one of the two most skilled forwards on the team, who also is only 20 years old.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Roboturner913

Wow.

Overpayment as usual, too long a contract as usual. Still, I'm OK with it. But at some point JR is going to have to shed Jokinen's contract, and maybe Pitkanen's.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Well, I personally am happy that we get to keep him for a long-term contract, but I'm a bit leery about the $7M cap hit.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out, but I'm afraid about how this team will manage cap space for next season with the reduced salary cap.
I might be in the minority, but i think this is a bad signing for Carolina. With the cap going down next year, to tie up 7M dollar in a guy like Semin for the next 5 years, with his history of disappearing and coasting when it matters, was not the direction to go. He is a skilled guy, but guys like Semin always play well on one year contracts. I would have offered him a 3 year deal max, around 5 M a year. Maybe i am too harsh on the guy, but i

watched so many Washington games in the playoffs where this guy was completely invisible. Ask some of his Washington teammates on Semen, and they were already vocal about their thoughts on him. I am completely flabbergasted that Semin suckered a GM to pay such a ridiculous amount for him. Has Scott Gomez written all over it. Watch his production drop now (LOL). Enjoy Alex Kovalev Version 2.0 Canes fans. Horrible deal, but good for Semin!

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

That's a lot of cash. Happy to have him for five years, but not overly confident he'll produce at that level for that long.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote