HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bulis - 70 or more points

Old
08-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Pere Noel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
There was a time not long after he and Zednik where traded to Montreal that I thought both of them could be 60 to 70 pt players. It took me not much more time after that to realize that neother would be, especially Bulis. I would be suprised if even in Vancouver he could get over 50pts. Zednik on the other hand might reach 70 this season if he gets to play a decent amount with Ovechkin.
I think if Zednik decides to scores them all, it won't work long term with Ovechkin as the latter would start wondering why the passes don't come back. I can see Ovechkin saying... Hey Zednik, I can score goals too, and maybe I am little better at it as well!?

Simply say, most passes sent to Zednik that don't come back are less points for Ovechkin and the Capitals.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 01:28 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsawyak View Post
Remember Beauchemin?

You just never know, you just never, freaking, know...

Franky, just as Bulis, had a rather small coterie here. And now people are composing poems about him, cf. Ode to Beauchemin
You know what?

He could.

He was seen through much of his carreer as a possible "future" 2nd liner, even a long range 1st (a big maybe there). When he came in with Zednik I thought we had the same version of two players, one developped (Zednik) and one in a period of transition (Bulis).

It just never came through.

Was it because he was broken in a defensive role? That he was rarely given a good chance on the top two lines?

The only thing I know is that he had the ball last season and dropped it.

He was this close to making it. He had the speed, had great chances...

He just wasn't able to convert his truckload of chances into goals.

Its time we stop as an organisation to live on pipe dreams and "what ifs".

If a player doesn't fit, he doesn't fit. We've got great youngsters who are waiting to be given a chance.

And we need to pay attention to that last part.

Beauchemin has never been given a chance with the habs lineup. He got where he is right now because the Ducks game him icetime. Big difference with Bulis...

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 02:16 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
It's true.... Just like the Sabres wish they had kept Begin.
And the kings Huet.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I predict 60 pts this year from Jan "Hits the Goalpost" Bulis
Thats exactly what I expect from him. Great nickname for him btw.

You guys should also here out here on the radio they think he's good for 30-35 goals!!

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Ross MacLochness

45-50 points TOPS, no matter who he plays with.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...57d7a2&k=30281

His agent, Jiri Crha, said Monday that Bulis could have signed elsewhere for more money, but chose the Canucks because he believes he will get an opportunity to shine offensively.

"Janny feels like he will get a chance to play in Vancouver and get the chance to finally show what he can do,"

"He said, 'I really need to go somewhere where I can prove that I can score 70 or more points,' " Crha said. "You need an opportunity to play and get the ice time and play the power play or you will never do it.
a) First off, this is what his AGENT said. What did you expect him to say??? I mean Bulis wanted to go to a team where he could have a top six job. What is wrong with that???? I assume most players want to go where they are appricated and will get ice time.

b) What kind of goal would you expect him to set for himself???? 50 points??? Of course he is going to set lofty goals for himself. I mean, would you want Sergei Samsonov to set himself a goal of 90 points this upcoming season, or 60 points???? Did Bulis set the bar high??? Sure. I would assume most players set their goals high. He's obviously excited by his prospects, so what the heck.

c) Weirder things have happen. Jan Bulis scoring 60-70 points this upcoming NHL season wouldn't exactly be the most shocking event of the upcoming season. I mean, if he clicks with some linemates right away and has a couple well timed hot streaks, who knows. I wouldn't put money on him getting 70 points, but I think when taking everything into consideration 60 isn't out of the question, and that is only 10 off his goal, so......

08-08-2006, 08:36 PM
vancityluongo

Anson Carter scored 33 goals with the Sedins, so if Bulis is put on their line and has good chemistry with the Sedins, then IMHO 70 points is fairly reasonable. The Sedins have improved from last year so that makes a difference too. I know Bulis won't score 33 goals, but all he basically would have to do is help assist the twins. It likely won't happen but it's not out of the question. My expectations are around 65 points for Bulis.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Anson Carter scored 33 goals with the Sedins, so if Bulis is put on their line and has good chemistry with the Sedins, then IMHO 70 points is fairly reasonable. The Sedins have improved from last year so that makes a difference too. I know Bulis won't score 33 goals, but all he basically would have to do is help assist the twins. It likely won't happen but it's not out of the question. My expectations are around 65 points for Bulis.
Im sorry but you will be disappointed with Jan's output then... cause he wont be anywhere close to 65 points...

He cant pipoint his shots, and in high pressure situations he only throws it in to the goalies chest.

Hes not a natural goalscorer... However he will be very sharp on a third line IMO in Vancouver once he realizes he just is not that offensively talented... He had the better part of 3 years to prove he can play with our franchise player... He couldnt. Hes gone.

Take away the one flukey 5 goal game, and Jan doesnt crack 20 AGAIN....

Anson had 4 20 + (+ another ALMOST 30 goal season) seasons... his nose for the net is far superior than Jan's.
I like the kid ever since he played here (in Barrie)... I thought he could develop... but he just does not have the natural talent enough to be a top 2 liner... (offensively speaking)

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:46 PM
AlexeiKovalev27

Bulis who?

simple as that, gone, taa taa

AlexeiKovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexeiKovalev27 View Post
Bulis who?

simple as that, gone, taa taa
good call lol

this is exactly what Im talking about vancityluongo.... Do you really think this would be the reception of a potential '65 -70 point man' leaving town

When he started whining last year, most people were more than happy to shut the book on him... Hes a great third liner... unfortunate he thinks too highly of himself and his game.

We didnt lose a potential 70 point player... 40 yeah, MAYBE 50 (thats a huge maybe) but nothing more.

Old
08-08-2006, 09:12 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
good call lol

this is exactly what Im talking about vancityluongo.... Do you really think this would be the reception of a potential '65 -70 point man' leaving town

When he started whining last year, most people were more than happy to shut the book on him... Hes a great third liner... unfortunate he thinks too highly of himself and his game.

We didnt lose a potential 70 point player... 40 yeah, MAYBE 50 (thats a huge maybe) but nothing more.
ok 65 points might be too much, but 40 points is a little bit less isn't it ?

Ghost # 1, Don't get me wrong here, I am positive that you know much more about Bulis then I do...
I never watched bulis much, but according to some of the people I have talked to, bulis should get around 50 points. A increase in ice time wouldn't hurt either, would it.
That post about him having 65 points is a bit off, but as I said before he will get more points then last year if he plays with the Sedins. If he plays on the 3rd line with players like less offensive players like Kesler and Pyatt, then 40 points would be about what he gets. I'm not saying that he's gonna win the art ross, or anything, im just saying that from what I have seen of him he's not as bad as most people thinks he is

Old
08-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
I took him in a late round for fantasy hockey. I hope he gets his 70 points.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
ok 65 points might be too much, but 40 points is a little bit less isn't it ?

Ghost # 1, Don't get me wrong here, I am positive that you know much more about Bulis then I do...
I never watched bulis much, but according to some of the people I have talked to, bulis should get around 50 points. A increase in ice time wouldn't hurt either, would it.
That post about him having 65 points is a bit off, but as I said before he will get more points then last year if he plays with the Sedins. If he plays on the 3rd line with players like less offensive players like Kesler and Pyatt, then 40 points would be about what he gets. I'm not saying that he's gonna win the art ross, or anything, im just saying that from what I have seen of him he's not as bad as most people thinks he is
Hey dont get me wrong I used to be a big fan of Jan Bulis... That kind of soured last year over time (and when he started to whine to the press about his playing time, dont get me wrong... I dont think less of the player, as much as the teammate... Im not trying to bash him, just trying to be honest )

Last year, Bulis did in fact get top 6 line minutes on forwards on the team... @ 15:37 MPG, he ranked 6th in minutes on the team forwards.

An honest to god evaluation of his game... I dont think hes that type of player...
He was given every chance in 2003-04... playing 17:00 a game, and coming off his FIRST 40 point season... man he let us down hard. 30 points in 72 minutes playing alongside Koivu for 1/2 of it... He was given every chance to crack our top 6 and did not do it.. Hes very useful in a utility role for example... He plays very solid third line play, and can fill in for top 6 in injury... However his game is based on the perimeter, and Jan just isnt enough of a playmaker to be effective in that role... It is what he is though.

Good memories of Jan is the fact that he is a strong forechecker... He'd work hard and was very adept at chasing the puck... Very good turnaround speed...
Minuses for Jan is that he is quite possibly the last guy you want the puck in the neutral zone... It almost looks as if he does not know what to do there, and loses many plays in that region. The last 1/4 of last year also brought out a tendency to not try to fix his mistakes, which led to the infamous almost benching (which came to be the 5 goal Philly game). The point Im getting to is that hes defensively responsible... but when he is, offensively he isnt there... And when he TRIES to be offensive, his defensive game goes to ****.
All the skill set you need in a very adept NHL'er... just not enough hockey sense to ever put it together (at least with us). No offense, I dont expect a change, I expect him to be a lukewarm player... Some liking him, others not so much... However the constant that I believe will follow him to Vancouver is the ability to look like he can make things happen... But it just never emerges...

Old
08-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Joe Cole

How do we know that he settled for less money? Are all the "other" offers made public? That is a crock of sh...aving cream. If he or his agent cannot prove it, then do not go on the record as if it is fact.

As for him being on the top line.... come on. Even if he starts there, he will not finish the season there. The guy just cannot make the split second decisions that it takes to be a scorer in the NHL.

Speed, yes. Top line player, no.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Habs13

He was given the chance to play 1st line and 2nd line in Montreal and didn't do anything worthwhile with his chances. His time in Europe during the lock-out and his 4-goal game have sent his ego through the roof and he's in for a hell of a wake-up call when it comes crashing back to earth.. back to reality.

Good luck to him all the same, but he should worry about hitting 7 points before even thinking about 70.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:36 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Hey dont get me wrong I used to be a big fan of Jan Bulis... That kind of soured last year over time (and when he started to whine to the press about his playing time, dont get me wrong... I dont think less of the player, as much as the teammate... Im not trying to bash him, just trying to be honest )

Last year, Bulis did in fact get top 6 line minutes on forwards on the team... @ 15:37 MPG, he ranked 6th in minutes on the team forwards.

An honest to god evaluation of his game... I dont think hes that type of player...
He was given every chance in 2003-04... playing 17:00 a game, and coming off his FIRST 40 point season... man he let us down hard. 30 points in 72 minutes playing alongside Koivu for 1/2 of it... He was given every chance to crack our top 6 and did not do it.. Hes very useful in a utility role for example... He plays very solid third line play, and can fill in for top 6 in injury... However his game is based on the perimeter, and Jan just isnt enough of a playmaker to be effective in that role... It is what he is though.

Good memories of Jan is the fact that he is a strong forechecker... He'd work hard and was very adept at chasing the puck... Very good turnaround speed...
Minuses for Jan is that he is quite possibly the last guy you want the puck in the neutral zone... It almost looks as if he does not know what to do there, and loses many plays in that region. The last 1/4 of last year also brought out a tendency to not try to fix his mistakes, which led to the infamous almost benching (which came to be the 5 goal Philly game). The point Im getting to is that hes defensively responsible... but when he is, offensively he isnt there... And when he TRIES to be offensive, his defensive game goes to ****.
All the skill set you need in a very adept NHL'er... just not enough hockey sense to ever put it together (at least with us). No offense, I dont expect a change, I expect him to be a lukewarm player... Some liking him, others not so much... However the constant that I believe will follow him to Vancouver is the ability to look like he can make things happen... But it just never emerges...

I did some reasearch and looking over his stats, I agree that he won't get 70 points and unless he has a breakout year he likely won't even get 55-60 points. He likely will not be playing with the Sedins, but instead with Naslund and Brendan Morrison, meaning he'll have more of a grinder/playmaker type role on that line.

Quote:
The point Im getting to is that hes defensively responsible... but when he is, offensively he isnt there... And when he TRIES to be offensive, his defensive game goes to ****.

I noticed that also when I was watching some highlights, that he will be contributing offensively, then he will have a turnover or something. Then he might be doing a great job defensivly, followed by missing the net on a breakaway or something.
As a Canuck fan, hopefully this changes and he can become a two-way player....

Old
08-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
I did some reasearch and looking over his stats, I agree that he won't get 70 points and unless he has a breakout year he likely won't even get 55-60 points. He likely will not be playing with the Sedins, but instead with Naslund and Brendan Morrison, meaning he'll have more of a grinder/playmaker type role on that line.

I noticed that also when I was watching some highlights, that he will be contributing offensively, then he will have a turnover or something. Then he might be doing a great job defensivly, followed by missing the net on a breakaway or something.
As a Canuck fan, hopefully this changes and he can become a two-way player....
I hope he does as well

I realize hès one of those players who was definately under the radar in terms of UFA's... He was still a solid pick up IMO... He should definately be a healthy contributor to your club, and IMO will be a very good depth player for your team. Personally, I have always been a Bulis fan, I was one of the people for the better part of 5 years stating that Jan's going to be the breakout player... He still just might... I gotta admit his PP time has been rather poor over the past seasons... However hes a player who must be told consistently what his role is, cause he starts to stray from it (which leads to trouble) Vigneault is a very good X and O coach, and IMO Jan should be a great complimentary player to his system... I think he should do ok out there, and I agree that he'll probably break the 40+ barrier in points... Just not too much more than that... Because he simply isnt smart enough to do it... Skill wise, he can play with anyone though... Hes very talented... Just no hockey sense.

I believe Vancouver fans will like him by years end... I hope the best for Jan... I just had to forewarn you before the season began that Jan isnt all that he seems... His holes are more mental than anything... But hey, if he is playing with Naslund, and Morrison, who knows, he may surprise us all