HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we re-sign G Joacim Eriksson?

Old
03-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Rolex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. If he wanted to be in NA he would be here.
Before this season he had no choice since he was Flyers' property. It was either in the Flyers system or the SEL. His stance was to play in Philly or in Sweden. He wanted no part of Trenton or Adirondak. I can see his point. Would you want to be part of the Phantoms over the last two seasons? They've been a mess. Holmgren wouldn't guarantee him a spot on the Flyers, so he stayed home. With his numbers there is no reason to believe that he wouldn't have done as well as Boucher or Leighton. I hope that he gets an offer from us and comes over.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I am not talking about you necessarily. I am talking about many of the people who called it a mistake to let him walk and now want him signed, but really know nothing about him other than his stats. Those people who act like this kid is some savior and who are penciling him in as a backup without him ever stepping foot on North American ice. My thoughts on them is that they feel this way a) simply because they have heard his name before or b) they want to sign him so they can say Homer was wrong. It makes no sense for a person to look at stats and say lets get this guy but have no interest in comparable players if all we are looking at is stats (and age). If this guy was playing over here and people saw him on a regular basis, then I probably wouldn't make this argument. But most of us have only seen highlight clips, read blog posts, and seen his stats. Very few have seen him in more than one or two games I imagine.

If I started a thread to sign one of the other two goalies I mentioned (prior to this discourse having taken place), I doubt it would have garnered much interest.
I'm one who has clamored for the Flyers to sign Eriksson and I'll give my reason as to why I wanted them to sign him. If you look at his career, he was successful everywhere he played and yes, numbers certainly play a factor in it. Look at these numbers:

2006 - 2007: Valbo HC 3.06, .899
2007 - 2008: Brynas J18 2.31, .908
2008 - 2009: Brynas J20 1.99 .930
2009 - 2010: Leksand 2.40 .926
2010 - 2011: Skelleftea 2.56 .907
2011 - 2012: Skelleftea 1.73 .935
2012 - 2013: Skelleftea 1.67 .931

Those numbers usually get a prospect signed, regardless. What irritated me about not signing Eriksson was that the Flyers signed a prospect who had put up far inferior numbers over his career. That's what bugged me the most. Hovinen had never put up good numbers in his career. And contrary to what some might think, numbers mean something, especially when it comes to goaltending.

At this point, I'd like to think that Eriksson's numbers at least warrant a look. If they don't like what they see, send him back to Europe. They gave Hovinen a look and he stunk up the joint. Now it's time to give Eriksson the chance to see what he can do.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
You're posting in a thread on re-signing Joacim Eriksson. It's not a thread on SEL goalies in general, so obviously people are going to express their opinions on Eriksson and not necessarily on SEL goalies in general. So, yeah, of course people want this particular SEL goalie because they've heard of him, but not of others, but if there are (and I think that is in fact true) many more SEL goalies that could play in the NHL and Eriksson is one of them, does that make it any less desirable to sign him? No, it doesn't, because he's still as good (or as bad) as he is, and just because there's a plethora of capable goalies out there that aren't out there doesn't mean each of them somehow gets worse because of that fact. In relative terms, yes, because there's greater competition, so each one of them can be seen as less valuable and more easily replaceable, but not in absolute terms.

Plus, you just have to make a choice, and when items 1 - 5 are, say, "objectively" the same, choosing item 1 because you've owned it before isn't a bad decision. At least you're not stuck in a loop trying to decide which to go with.

And, again, this is a thread on Eriksson specifically. If you started a thread on SEL goalies, I'm sure others would pop up, as well, but if you stick to him, I don't see why people would need to go off-topic and unnecessarily bring those other goalies in unless they were the reason behind their choice. Judging from your posts, I can see what bothers you, and I'm not ostracizing Homer for letting a gem go. He did what he did, but what's so wrong about people liking a particular player? You seem to have constructed this view that because people are only talking about him, they don't like anyone else.
You are missing my point. I was pointing out that people have been vocal at times about Eriksson's non-signing being a mistake and recently the suggesting that they offer him a contract now, two (three?) years after he was let to walk away. My point was that I think people are only interested because they either know his name or that they want Homer to be "proven wrong." Yes Eriksson is putting up good numbers, but so are other goalies, yet you don't see any threads about the other goalies.

I suspect that if I had started a thread about them or suggested them it would have gone unnoticed, and not because they are the shocking advanced age of 24 but because they are goalies playing in Europe in a defensive league where most of the starting goalies have stats similar to Eriksson's.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
FlyingPhilly

Sign him, now before someone else does. Never hurts to have too many good prospects. You can move some of them then for other needs.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
You are missing my point. I was pointing out that people have been vocal at times about Eriksson's non-signing being a mistake and recently the suggesting that they offer him a contract now, two (three?) years after he was let to walk away. My point was that I think people are only interested because they either know his name or that they want Homer to be "proven wrong." Yes Eriksson is putting up good numbers, but so are other goalies, yet you don't see any threads about the other goalies.

I suspect that if I had started a thread about them or suggested them it would have gone unnoticed, and not because they are the shocking advanced age of 24 but because they are goalies playing in Europe in a defensive league where most of the starting goalies have stats similar to Eriksson's.
Eriksson is the most desirable of the bunch for the reasons many people have already told you. Why bother focusing on the others? Why wouldn't we focus on the best of the group? Go for second best if he's completely unavailable, otherwise Eriksson should be the target. It's not like they can sign several of them, so there isn't all that much of a point discussing them.

03-25-2013, 09:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eriksson is the most desirable of the bunch for the reasons many people have already told you. Why bother focusing on the others? Why wouldn't we focus on the best of the group? Go for second best if he's completely unavailable, otherwise Eriksson should be the target. It's not like they can sign several of them, so there isn't all that much of a point discussing them.
Oh ok. I guess that is why the other threads on here about one player never mentions comparable players and there is always a consensus as to who the best player is. Man, I gotta pay more attention around here.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Oh ok. I guess that is why the other threads on here about one player never mentions comparable players and there is always a consensus as to who the best player is. Man, I gotta pay more attention around here.
Can you prove why any of his competition is a better choice? Can you prove why a younger player putting up better numbers than older players, who's had consistent success at every level of his career, is inferior to his competition?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:10 AM
dats81

Actually it should be the job of the Flyers' beatwriters and sources close to the organization to ask Homer these question and to inquire why they did not even bother offering Sunshine an ELC and how they actually rate his development/work attitude/updside. And even more important, how they plan to move forward in the goaltending department.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Actually it should be the job of the Flyers' beatwriters and sources close to the organization to ask Homer these question and to inquire why they did not even bother offering Sunshine an ELC and how they actually rate his development/work attitude/updside. And even more important, how they plan to move forward in the goaltending department.
They don't do that. They only seem to pressure the organization when soap opera drama is involved. See: Lindros or the whole team from the lockout to 2011.

I don't follow Philly media closely for other sports...do they give Phils and Eagles management such an easy time? From the bits I've read/heard, I'd say no. It's like they're afraid of criticizing the Flyers front office since they've been the only consistently good franchise for a long time.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Can you prove why any of his competition is a better choice? Can you prove why a younger player putting up better numbers than older players, who's had consistent success at every level of his career, is inferior to his competition?
I guess you have only been skimming my posts and just taking what you want from them, seeing as how I have continuously said that I am not saying the other guys are better than Eriksson or that we should forget about Eriksson and have consistently said I would not be opposed to signing Eriksson, only that they are on the same level and that if we are looking at SEL goalies, why not look at the other guys on the same level (I know, I know, a guy who turned 24 in November and has put up similar numbers throughout his career in the SEL is not on the same level as a guy that will be 23 in April). You are not grasping what I am saying for some reason.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Holmgren was forthcoming last spring about these moves with Swedish goaltenders. Holmgren approached Eriksson with a two way contract last spring and was turned down. JE wanted a Philly only deal. When JE said no to the Flyers, Hoivanen was signed. In retrospect it was a bad move to not sign Eriksson.
The jury will be out on the dealing away Bobrovsky. If Stolarz pans out, maybe it wasn't so bad of a trade. At the time of the Bryzgalov signing, paying $1,750,000 for a back up in Bobrovsky was seen as an excessive price. Now with what they have spent on Leighton and Boucher, maybe it wasn't too much to pay.
The Flyers need to sort out this mess in the nets before taking action on buying out Bryz. One thing is sure, there will be another goalie on the roster this fall. Hopefully it will be Eriksson or someone better.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
They don't do that. They only seem to pressure the organization when soap opera drama is involved. See: Lindros or the whole team from the lockout to 2011.

I don't follow Philly media closely for other sports...do they give Phils and Eagles management such an easy time? From the bits I've read/heard, I'd say no. It's like they're afraid of criticizing the Flyers front office since they've been the only consistently good franchise for a long time.
Heck no. The Phillies and Flyers will be raked over the coals but Flyers management gets a free pass. The Eagles weren't much different than the Flyers for a while. A consistently good team that could never win a championship. Their methods were constantly called into question, but with the Flyers no one cares as long as they make the playoffs.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Heck no. The Phillies and Flyers (I assume you mean Eagles) will be raked over the coals but Flyers management gets a free pass. The Eagles weren't much different than the Flyers for a while. A consistently good team that could never win a championship. Their methods were constantly called into question, but with the Flyers no one cares as long as they make the playoffs.
Beef,

None of this is true and you should ignore it. The Flyer's do not get a free pass. The front office takes criticism, unfortunately, due to the media here not being hockey savvy (minus Meltzer, who is awesome, plus 1-2 reporters are good and some of the younger radio guys) usually the criticism is misguided, and you don't hear much of it because hockey is not the #1 sport in town-- so such criticism is not "media worthy" and the media relies on the casual fans not caring enough to investigate how true the claims are on the off chance they are made.

Once in awhile, like at training camp, you can get some decent hockey analysis, but HFboards is usually much more accurate about hockey related items.

Like I mentioned a month or so ago, this is the same media that declared via radio that Mez is a #1 defender that needs to step into that role, but hasn't been able to due to injuries, and HE is a big part of what is setting the Flyers back. C'mon.

The knock against the Eagles was for a long time they were cap-conscious, banking money, and content to just make the playoffs.

The Flyers are not the same. Ed Snider wants another cup, and will pay out the nose to get it. He's not content with just the playoffs. And every Flyer fan is not content with "just the playoffs."

Every team's methods are questioned in town, so that's a wash.

There are other comparisons, but they're akimbo as well.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
fauxflex

Sunshine still shining bright in the Elitserien:

1.67 GAA .93 SV% in 30 reg season games, and 1.28 GAA .932 SV% in 6 GP in the playoffs...

http://www.eurohockey.com/player/929...-eriksson.html

looks like the finals are up next...

http://www.eurohockey.com/games.html...id_season=2013

Buyout Bryz and play Mason with Sunshine backing up...may the best man win the starting position...probably never happen, but I'd like to see it. Dude is playing out of his mind.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
Sunshine still shining bright in the Elitserien:

1.67 GAA .93 SV% in 30 reg season games, and 1.28 GAA .932 SV% in 6 GP in the playoffs...

http://www.eurohockey.com/player/929...-eriksson.html

looks like the finals are up next...

http://www.eurohockey.com/games.html...id_season=2013

Buyout Bryz and play Mason with Sunshine backing up...may the best man win the starting position...probably never happen, but I'd like to see it. Dude is playing out of his mind.
Or make a play for Antti Raanta, guy is as good if not better than sunshine... he carries his team so much it is silly. They would not have mad the playoffs without him, and he has put up great figures in SM-Liiga for 4 years now.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Or make a play for Antti Raanta, guy is as good if not better than sunshine... he carries his team so much it is silly. They would not have mad the playoffs without him, and he has put up great figures in SM-Liiga for 4 years now.
Raanta's numbers:

2010-11 Lukko SM-liiga 20 2.37 .910 | Playoffs 2 4.28 .818
2011-12 Ässät SM-liiga 38 2.23 .933 | Playoffs 3 3.07 .917
2012-13 Ässät SM-liiga 45 1.85 .943 | Playoffs 7 1.46 .952

I like how int he past three years, all of his stats have increased in both regular season games and playoffs.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pq View Post
Raanta's numbers:

2010-11 Lukko SM-liiga 20 2.37 .910 | Playoffs 2 4.28 .818
2011-12 Ässät SM-liiga 38 2.23 .933 | Playoffs 3 3.07 .917
2012-13 Ässät SM-liiga 45 1.85 .943 | Playoffs 7 1.46 .952

I like how int he past three years, all of his stats have increased in both regular season games and playoffs.
Yeh, and if you look at the last two years, the amount of goals his team scores is not enough to get them into the playoffs realistically, it is just they are conceding the least of any team! I have a lot of Finnish friends and they say he makes a lot of saves he shouldn't have a chance on. They say his positioning is absolutely perfect and his compete level is amazing.

If you wana know how much he carries his team, in 9 playoff games this year he has allowed more than 2 goals twice, and has 3 shutouts.

Only guy who has put up better numbers in a year in SM was Tim Thomas I believe.

Last edited by Appleyard: 04-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
jb**

joacim eriksson is almost reaching jukka seppo folklore status.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Well ****.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/06...acim-eriksson/

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
They're basing this purely off the fact that his nhl.com profile has him with Vancouver? Color me unconvinced for now. It could very easily be website error.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:44 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Odd team for him to sign with considering their #1 goalie is so young

The Sedin sisters probably talked him into it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:49 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
They're basing this purely off the fact that his nhl.com profile has him with Vancouver? Color me unconvinced for now. It could very easily be website error.
If you'd read the article you'd see the link to the newspaper article that broke the news. Add to that the fact that TSN has it listed under transactions on his player profile, and I'd say thats pretty much it.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

No need to resurrect this thread.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Odd team for him to sign with considering their #1 goalie is so young

The Sedin sisters probably talked him into it
Schneider is 27, he's not exactly a spring chicken.

They signed Eddie Lack too, so they've been able to convince people they'd have a shot. When Luongo goes, the backup job is up for grabs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote