HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shero's Trade Deadline Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2013, 08:26 PM
  #26
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Only time will tell if he made the right moves. Lets not forget that B Morrow is UFA. He just gave up his best prospect and former first round pick for a chance to wn a cup. If they lose the cup and Morrow leaves he has pretty much nothing to show for it.
I think Pittsburgh could resign Morrow easily for less than the 4.1 he made this year if he does what he is supposed to do. Where else will he go? Everyone else thinks he is old and doesn't have anything left. It's not that hard to figure it all out.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:27 PM
  #27
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly34 View Post
Has it been confirmed which 3rd round pick the pens got from Dallas? I haven't seen any confirmation anywhere...
Not yet, either the Wild's or the Oilers. I would bet on it bing the Wild's pick

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:27 PM
  #28
DrDangles
Registered User
 
DrDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Only time will tell if he made the right moves. Lets not forget that B Morrow is UFA. He just gave up his best prospect and former first round pick for a chance to wn a cup. If they lose the cup and Morrow leaves he has pretty much nothing to show for it.
Shero obviously didn't think of Morrow as his best prospect if he was dealt for a possible rental. I trust his judgement to a degree, but we still have our 1st this year and a very deep D prospect pool, I'm not too worried about the future of our defense without Morrow. You have to take chances to win, I just personally would have rather seen Morrow in a package for Iginla.

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:28 PM
  #29
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,239
vCash: 500
Ill say this... He did pay a premium. But if you have multiple franchise players, you simply dont need to be as worried about drafting.

They have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Neal. As long as their prospect pool is producing some decent secondary talent, and they supplement via free agency, theyll remain SC Contenders for the foreseeable future.

These prices make absolutely no sense for a team like Toronto though, because we're still in need of probably 2 legit franchise players, and the draft/prospects offer the best chance at getting that.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
  #30
Brooklanders*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I think Pittsburgh could resign Morrow easily for less than the 4.1 he made this year if he does what he is supposed to do. Where else will he go? Everyone else thinks he is old and doesn't have anything left. It's not that hard to figure it all out.
Pittsburgh has to sign Kunitz and Pascal soon. Both are having career years and now they have jacked up the price. Letang I believe is a free agent in a couple years and also will want a significant raise.

Reports were that Boston offered KOKO and a second for Morrow so they also valued him high.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
  #31
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,438
vCash: 500
In my opinion, he's not finished. I predict 2 more trades to go. Morrow will fit nicely on the 3rd line with Cooke and Sutter. Kennedy will be moved and Bennett is too green for a long playoff grind.

Shero will definitely try to improve the 4th line with a centerman with playoff experience and who's good defensively as well as faceoffs.

I see him taking a run on a winger as insurance of injury and a replacement for Kennedy... Preferably one to play on the 2nd line with 71 & 18.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:36 PM
  #32
Jahodac
Registered User
 
Jahodac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
I hate trading J. Morrow but you have to give to get, especially in a sellers market where a lot of teams are still in the hunt. I really don't mind the Murray trade though cause Shero trades picks for rentals all the time. Yeah, two 2nds (or a 2nd+3rd if he is as bad as people say) is a little steep for Murray, but once again, it's a sellers market. Other contenders like the Bruins will probably be paying the same prices for similar players.

And with the hate B. Morrow is getting on here, the Penguins could probably get him for cheap after season's end if he really is completely washed up. He couldn't be worse than Glass who makes $1 million score no points.

Yeah, Shero overpaid, but when you got two of the best players in their prime, you have to capitalize now. After all, you play to win the cup, not be consistently good in the regular season and perennial first round exits like the Penguins have been the past few years.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:37 PM
  #33
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,663
vCash: 500
To be fair what GM doesn't overpay around the deadline? If Shero feels like his team can go deep into the playoffs then go for it.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
  #34
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
Shero's up to something to be trading this early. Not sure about getting Iginla though. He already added the leadership and grit, and with Kunitz and Dupuis having career years, I'm not sure I'd mess with that for the price though.
No issues getting Iggy and bumping Duper down to the 3rd line. He always has the option of going back to Duper if need be.

__________________
"I changed the whole game, man," Rinaldo said. "Who knows what the game would have been like if I didn't do what I did?" [after illegally running Letang from behind, slamming his head into the glass]
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  #35
Brooklanders*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
I hate trading J. Morrow but you have to give to get, especially in a sellers market where a lot of teams are still in the hunt. I really don't mind the Murray trade though cause Shero trades picks for rentals all the time. Yeah, two 2nds (or a 2nd+3rd if he is as bad as people say) is a little steep for Murray, but once again, it's a sellers market. Other contenders like the Bruins will probably be paying the same prices for similar players.

And with the hate B. Morrow is getting on here, the Penguins could probably get him for cheap after season's end if he really is completely washed up. He couldn't be worse than Glass who makes $1 million score no points.

Yeah, Shero overpaid, but when you got two of the best players in their prime, you have to capitalize now. After all, you play to win the cup, not be consistently good in the regular season and perennial first round exits like the Penguins have been the past few years.



This is all I was trying to accomplish. I approve this statement.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:45 PM
  #36
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,657
vCash: 500
This is the only year we're going to have the equivalent of spending $34m in cap space with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Fleury, Vokoun, etc.

Shero is all in. Going for broke.

Iginla will be a Penguin. Shero will be makin' it rain young defenseman prospects this deadline.

Jules Winnfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
  #37
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
This is the only year we're going to have the equivalent of spending $34m in cap space with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Fleury, Vokoun, etc.

Shero is all in. Going for broke.

Iginla will be a Penguin. Shero will be makin' it rain young defenseman prospects this deadline.
What would you give for Iggy? I'd give pretty much anything other than Bennett. Call BB untouchable simply because he's our only forward prospect who's anywhere near NHL ready.

2013 1st
Maatta/Depo/Dumo (I don't think I'd give up Despres at this time)
Blueger/Sundqvist
TK

I'm honestly not sure that's enough. And that's a steep price.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:57 PM
  #38
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 23,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Only time will tell if he made the right moves. Lets not forget that B Morrow is UFA. He just gave up his best prospect and former first round pick for a chance to wn a cup. If they lose the cup and Morrow leaves he has pretty much nothing to show for it.
Joe wasn't the Pens best prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Pittsburgh has to sign Kunitz and Pascal soon. Both are having career years and now they have jacked up the price. Letang I believe is a free agent in a couple years and also will want a significant raise.

Reports were that Boston offered KOKO and a second for Morrow so they also valued him high.
Dupuis has a young family and gets to play with the best player in the world, why would he leave and chase the money when he can sign here for a moderate raise? Kunitz still has a year left on his deal and will be 35 so wont be getting a raise.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
  #39
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Dupuis has a young family and gets to play with the best player in the world, why would he leave and chase the money when he can sign here for a moderate raise? Kunitz still has a year left on his deal and will be 35 so wont be getting a raise.
Pretty much. Dupuis might get as much as 3m. However if he's looking for more than that, he might as well pack his bags. Pitts as a cap team can't afford to offer much more on a long term deal (3-4 years). However the less he takes, I'd be willing to offer more years (4-5) due to his skating ability and his ability to play a 3rd/4th line checking role.

Pens can afford to keep everyone and add about 3-4m in salary - assuming TK and Cooke are gone (or Cooke signs for cheap) and they're smart with what they pay Duper.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:08 PM
  #40
TheGrifter
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
A lot of "the heat" he is taking here wreaks of envy. People try to justify it by making themself believe that the two players are old and useless. Meanwhile, both have roughly 6-7 years left in the league. Both where brought in to fill voids. Murray is a Penguin because he is going to break necks in front of the net on the penalty kill. Morrow is a Penguin because he is an ornery ***** who tosses his weight around. Neither guy was brought in to set the world on fire.

Morrow will be on Malkin and Neal's line. All he has to do is push people around, nobody cares if he scores goals.

In summary, Shero dealt an undoubtedly good defensive prospect (Pens 4th rated d prospect), albeit this organization overflowing with them. He also traded a 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd, to which I say... Outside of the 1st round the Pens draft like **** anyway.


Last edited by TheGrifter: 03-25-2013 at 09:15 PM.
TheGrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
  #41
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
This is the only year we're going to have the equivalent of spending $34m in cap space with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Fleury, Vokoun, etc.

Shero is all in. Going for broke.

Iginla will be a Penguin. Shero will be makin' it rain young defenseman prospects this deadline.

It would be utterly stupid to acquire Iginla. If Shero makes a deal for Iggy sending two top prospects and a first and he doesn't win the Cup, he should be fired the day after. He has already sent assets for two guys that could bolt, why send more for a third that most likely will? Do that deal, our farm system is worse than Calgary's is now.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:14 PM
  #42
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
What would you give for Iggy? I'd give pretty much anything other than Bennett. Call BB untouchable simply because he's our only forward prospect who's anywhere near NHL ready.

2013 1st
Maatta/Depo/Dumo (I don't think I'd give up Despres at this time)
Blueger/Sundqvist
TK

I'm honestly not sure that's enough. And that's a steep price.
If that's not enough, Shero can't hang up fast enough.

nhindian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
  #43
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
It would be utterly stupid to acquire Iginla.
Sign me up for the stupid!

nhindian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
  #44
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
It would be utterly stupid to acquire Iginla. If Shero makes a deal for Iggy sending two top prospects and a first and he doesn't win the Cup, he should be fired the day after. He has already sent assets for two guys that could bolt, why send more for a third that most likely will? Do that deal, our farm system is worse than Calgary's is now.
Not really. We'd still have a number of quality prospects. I'd still rather they go after a lesser guy... but who's actually available?

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
  #45
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
If that's not enough, Shero can't hang up fast enough.
Agreed. I wouldn't offer more than that... but that's apparently whats being asked for. 1st, top prospect, another prospect.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
  #46
BeersHockey
Registered User
 
BeersHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
since Shero was compelled enough to trade him away for a top-9 gritty forward who's not getting any younger (or faster), i won't hold my breath.
Jarome Iginla says "hello."

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
  #47
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
OCPenguin:

"Teddy isn't going in a deal for Morrow. I would give a late second if I were Pittsburgh, nothing more."

Haha.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:27 PM
  #48
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,602
vCash: 500
feels like boston moves when they did it for their cup run. paid a price for kelly

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
  #49
SEALBound
RIP Elmer
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
There is no reason to take a shot at getting a player Pittsburgh DOESN'T need. It is pretty obvious Pittsburgh isn't getting or even in the nut for Iggy. The Pens actions yesterday and today said so. They gave up assets for two potential guys that could bolt. I doubt they give up two top prospects and a first for another rental. Makes zero sense. Pittsburgh filled its needs. No need to add anything else, with exception of maybe a fourth line upgrade.
I don't agree with this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Vitale-Adams

is a better team any way you slice it. Here's the problem:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. Box +1. One guy follows Sid non stop. Shut him down, you shut that line down. Kunitz-Dupuis won't/can't carry an offensive load.

Morrow/Bennett-Malkin-Neal. Same thing. The only maybe is that Neal gets more open ice if a dman has to focus on Malkin.

Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy. Not a third line that is gonna chip in when the top two lines are getting shut down. Cooke-Staal-Kennedy of 2008-2009 they are not.

Glass-Vitale-Adams. Garbage.

We are not as playoff solid as you believe we are. We all thought they were unstoppable with Sullivan-Crosby-Dupuis, Kunitz-Malkin-Neal last year...and yeah...look what happen. Don't fall into the illusion that because we are a high scoring regular season team that we will dominate the playoffs with no gaps. Not true. You know what scoring a bunch of regular season goals makes us? The Capitals of 08-10. Look how that turned out.

We have gaps. The team could certainly use Iginla and I believe its Shero's job to at least look into it. Adding Morrow and Murray doesn't put us over the top.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:35 PM
  #50
ObsessedCreative
I hate the Penguins.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
What would you give for Iggy? I'd give pretty much anything other than Bennett. Call BB untouchable simply because he's our only forward prospect who's anywhere near NHL ready.

2013 1st
Maatta/Depo/Dumo (I don't think I'd give up Despres at this time)
Blueger/Sundqvist
TK

I'm honestly not sure that's enough. And that's a steep price.
Anyone but BB and Despres.

I'm ALL IN with Shero!

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.