HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you prefer right now?

View Poll Results: If you had to choose...
I want the Preds to try to make the playoffs or actually make the playoffs. 38 82.61%
I want the Preds to try to get the highest draft pick possible for this years draft 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
What would you prefer right now?

If you had two options, the team trying to make/make the playoffs or the team trying to get the highest possible draft pick it can; which would you choose and why?

(I wanted to make a poll option out of this).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Right now we're back in the hunt and I'd like to keep it that way. If you had asked this, say last thursday at 6:45 pm, I would've probably chosen to go for a high draft pick.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Chose make the playoffs. The preds have never been tankers and the ultimate goal is the cup. After saying that though I feel we absolutely need to keep our 1st and see if we can ship out a few of our elder statesmen. Maybe make a couple moves, but don't ditch our young guns or a third consecutive 1st for another Hemsky type player that's the exact opposite of what we need.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
NoNecksCurse

im not saying i want the team to suck. i just don't see nothing more than a #8-#10 seed finish. but if we can make the playoffs, id vote to win. but i don't think we're gonna cut it.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
im not saying i want the team to suck. i just don't see nothing more than a #8-#10 seed finish. but if we can make the playoffs, id vote to win. but i don't think we're gonna cut it.
I'm not optimistic about our chances if we do make the playoffs, but once there anything can happen. I just hope Poile doesn't go out of his way to trade for a rental only to lose to Chicago or Anaheim.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'm not optimistic about our chances if we do make the playoffs, but once there anything can happen. I just hope Poile doesn't go out of his way to trade for a rental only to lose to Chicago or Anaheim.
i don't think poile is that dumb.. ill be calling for fenton if he does.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
i don't think poile is that dumb.. ill be calling for fenton if he does.
Yeah me neither, he needs realistic expectations for this season and the playoffs though.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Yeah me neither, he needs realistic expectations for this season and the playoffs though.
the way he talks from the quotes i read, he will be a buyer if we win the next few in a row before the deadline...

Old
03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I'm surprised at the poll results as of now with all of the "tank" talk around here.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'm surprised at the poll results as of now with all of the "tank" talk around here.
i think its wording of the poll. of course, we want to make the playoffs. but if we actually will is different. the ones that think we won't are more likely to want to "tank".. a couple more wins in a row and i think were discussing what moves poile makes as a buyer, though

Old
03-25-2013, 09:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
i think its wording of the poll. of course, we want to make the playoffs. but if we actually will is different. the ones that think we won't are more likely to want to "tank".. a couple more wins in a row and i think were discussing what moves poile makes as a buyer, though
Advocating tanking and wanting to make the playoffs are diametrically opposing positions. Trying to take both positions requires the absence of a backbone.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We should always want this team to make the playoffs because two legitimate superstars in the primes of their career are on this team. You never know what will happen.

03-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Look at EDM to see what happens when you tank; breeds a culture of losing. The Oilers lose more puck battles than any time I have watched since like '92. Make the playoffs and upset a Hawks team that peaked early.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:28 PM
deanwormer

Always want success on the ice for the team, so I vote want to make POs. However..... I just can't see how it happens unless we play almost perfect hockey at home. SJ is for all intents ahead of us, just a question of how much as they burn up their games-in-hand. When we lost to CLG and EDM on the last road trip, we stuck ourselves in a mighty deep hole cause you gotta' win a little on the road and it doesn't get any easier than them.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:41 AM
jlsg

Dumbest poll ever. I'm sorry but it irritates me to no end to suggest tanking. I don't care how bad or how far behind we are. Never want to have that mindset in a team, a coaching staff, a front office or the fan base. Once you have it, it's hard to get rid of. Always play to win or go home.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I *want* the team to make the playoffs, but realistically, I dont think they will, and thus would *like* a high draft pick.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
token grinder

what really has changed about Chicago and Anaheim? Not taking away their season's accomplishments, but what changed on their teams?

Does freaking Johnny Oduya turn Chicago from the team that got bounced by Pho into a cup team? They play a more open game and guess what people, you get away with more hooking and holding in the playoffs. Corey Crawford still has a terrible glove. and they will roll into the playoffs with a forward coming off an injury and a forward looking more and more like glass. I'm sorry, they do not scare me.

Anaheim? Same story on them. Can ice two darn good lines and then what? Sheldon Souray the answer on D and cam fowler having a terrible season. We have played them well this year. We have scored goals against them this year. I guess I just see a wide open tournement every year.

this poll is stupid

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
what really has changed about Chicago and Anaheim? Not taking away their season's accomplishments, but what changed on their teams?

Does freaking Johnny Oduya turn Chicago from the team that got bounced by Pho into a cup team? They play a more open game and guess what people, you get away with more hooking and holding in the playoffs. Corey Crawford still has a terrible glove. and they will roll into the playoffs with a forward coming off an injury and a forward looking more and more like glass. I'm sorry, they do not scare me.

Anaheim? Same story on them. Can ice two darn good lines and then what? Sheldon Souray the answer on D and cam fowler having a terrible season. We have played them well this year. We have scored goals against them this year. I guess I just see a wide open tournement every year.

this poll is stupid
"I know we have been a mediocre\downright awful team all season, but now that we've beaten three teams that are out of playoff spots, I really feel like we're better than Chicago and Anaheim"

Old
03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
"I know we have been a mediocre\downright awful team all season, but now that we've beaten three teams that are out of playoff spots, I really feel like we're better than Chicago and Anaheim"

I agree with the principle of this, but Chicago and Anaheim both have defensive weaknesses. We have offensive suckitude. This roster has the ability to improve simply from prospects on the farm and health. I think it is a pipe dream to expect more than 1-2 rounds in the playoffs (if we even make the playoffs), but the pieces for a cinderella run are firmly in place for this team barring a Weber or Rinne injury.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I agree with the principle of this, but Chicago and Anaheim both have defensive weaknesses. We have offensive suckitude. This roster has the ability to improve simply from prospects on the farm and health. I think it is a pipe dream to expect more than 1-2 rounds in the playoffs (if we even make the playoffs), but the pieces for a cinderella run are firmly in place for this team barring a Weber or Rinne injury.
Agreed- it will not shock me at all if Chicago or Anaheim go down in the 1st round.

And about our offense- we did royally suck the first month or so- but over the past 20 gms, we are in the top 8 in the league in offense, just like we were last year. We also are #11 in power play, and are #1 in home PP.
Not saying its going to continue, but right now offense is not a weakness.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Dumbest poll ever. I'm sorry but it irritates me to no end to suggest tanking. I don't care how bad or how far behind we are. Never want to have that mindset in a team, a coaching staff, a front office or the fan base. Once you have it, it's hard to get rid of. Always play to win or go home.
100% Agree.

I want my team to win every game they can all the time. There's no benefit to losing.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post

did I say that? No. I do not understand why everyone is afraid of them and runs around doom and gloom. and mediocre/downright awful all season can go for a lot of teams not named Chicago and Anaheim. You not think fans in Minn/Van/LA/SJ/STL/DET are worried about missing the playoffs for one reason or another? There is a reason all the teams are bunched up and it is becuase none of them are great. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there is talent on this team. It isn't sexy talent for sure, but there is talent and few want to see it. Maybe we beat Chicago a couple of times here and the people who like to predict gloom so they can either say "I told you so fire xxx and trade yyy" or i am surprised but I'd rather draft unproven propect abc than play a playoff round will go hide under a rock.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
dumbest poll ever. I'm sorry but it irritates me to no end to suggest tanking. I don't care how bad or how far behind we are. Never want to have that mindset in a team, a coaching staff, a front office or the fan base. Once you have it, it's hard to get rid of. Always play to win or go home.
+1

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Byrddog

In truth neither are going to happen to make the playoffs the team will need to win 11 of the last 15 to get to the projected 55 to get in. As you look at the remaining schedule it looks like they will finish in the 47 to 49 point mark and end up 10 thru 13 area according to how all the games in hand fall out behind the Preds. So a tank and top 5 pick is not supported nor is squeeking into 8th. This has just been a mess of a season but therer are bright spots in some of the young guys. Bartly, Muller, Beck are promising for next year.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Cooper posted that the Predators are listed at 31 percent to make the playoffs, as of today.