HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Mork

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Bobby Orr was my instructor at a hockey camp in Haliburton Ontario, he had just turned 18, crew cut, was going the Bruins in the fall! Same camp had Bernie Parent, Ken Hodge and none other than Nick Beverly!
This is beyond perfect! The summer of 1966 - a great year to begin with. Haliburton - one of the most beautiful places in the world. Learning hockey from an 18 y.o. Bobby Orr and a seasoned crew of NHL vets! Incroyable!

Old
03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
This is beyond perfect! The summer of 1966 - a great year to begin with. Haliburton - one of the most beautiful places in the world. Learning hockey from an 18 y.o. Bobby Orr and a seasoned crew of NHL vets! Incroyable!
Ya... and way OT... Johnny Bower was the regular Goalie Coach, not in camp, so I got Ed Chadwick who was quite the Professor of the position as I recall. Beyond nearly drowning mesa up there who refuses to admit such, I never invited back as a result... but yes... some fond memories of HHH. Next time your in Haliburton Mork, go have lunch at "McKeck's" if its still even there. Walt McKechnies restaurant. I believe he also owned part of small resort inn & a sporting goods store in the area for awhile as well.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
silvercanuck

I'm getting itchy scratchy just thinking about Haliburton.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Besides everything else, it seems that Tippett and Maloney are not going to re-sign until they know what the future holds.

As has been noted before, beyond everything else, this long term of ownership by the NHL is undermining the very foundations of the franchise. It is a tribute to the remarkable managerial and coaching performance of Maloney and Tippett that the team has been as competitive as it has for the past few years. But a team in limbo with a payroll near the bottom can't maintain on-ice performance for very long. The NHL has created an absolute travesty.
Hmmm, didn't Doan say something similar about not resigning until the ownership situtauion is settled?

In all seriousness though, I don't see Maloney and Tippett sitting on the fence as long as Shane did.

If this is still in flux, hopefully they'll bolt the minute their contracts expire - make a statement and this needed to end yesterday.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:53 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya... and way OT... Johnny Bower was the regular Goalie Coach, not in camp, so I got Ed Chadwick who was quite the Professor of the position as I recall. Beyond nearly drowning mesa up there who refuses to admit such, I never invited back as a result... but yes... some fond memories of HHH. Next time your in Haliburton Mork, go have lunch at "McKeck's" if its still even there. Walt McKechnies restaurant. I believe he also owned part of small resort inn & a sporting goods store in the area for awhile as well.
So thats how Wren Blair found Walt Mckecknie! say K, was your nick name at HHH sunshine lollypop? I remember being in the cabin at HHH when we first walked on the moon!

Old
03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
say K, was your nick name at HHH sunshine lollypop?...
No, as I re-call either Orange Blotter or Purple Micro-Dot... complete blank.... Moon Walk I remember though ... Alien territory... they got pretty upset about it... thats why after just a few missions we never went back again.... warned off.... I knew that was going to happen... couldve saved ya'll a lot of time, trouble & money if you'd only listened to me.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Of the top 10 teams in the U.S. for attendance (Chicago, Minnesota, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Nashville, Boston, Detroit, & San Jose), all but BUF, NSH, and SJ have all 4 major sports represented in their city. Buffalo has football as well, and San Jose is only 49 minutes from San Francisco, where the other sports are well represented.
Not to nitpick but there's no NBA team in Pittsburgh, and last I heard there was still no NFL team in LA

1-2 years ago someone got all the population numbers (the question was "who could support another team?") and while the analysis wasn't complete, more pro teams in an area definitely hurts that area's ability to support an extra team. It's not the only factor, of course.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I'm getting itchy scratchy just thinking about Haliburton.
Some strange locals out there. Back in the day I used to drive truck through there. I stopped at one of those frenchfry trucks just outside of town. Two local guys in front of me, dead ringers for the mountain men in the movie deliverance. The one guy pipes up we're going back to the trailer to get retarded. Do you want to come and get retarded with us? I swear I heard a banjo start playing.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
Phoenix, Dallas, Anahiem, Colorado, NJ Devils, NY Islanders and Miami. My point was that the NHL is traditionally in last place of the four major sports. No doubt many cities with all four major sports can ice a hockey team that sells out its barn. But the NHL is usually the team with the least room for error. Heck, there was a year or two when the Coyotes out drew the Hawks and the Bruins when those teams were especially bad. Having a competitive NBA team puts more stress on the local NHL team unless the NHL team is doing well.

For all their problems, the Coyotes have more sellouts this year than the Suns, and no one would question Phoenix has established itself as a strong NBA city over the years.
Not hard to do when the Blackhawks had one of the most idiotic owners in major league sports history. He lost a full generation or two of potential hockey fans there. He made the Blackhawks invisible for a few decades. The only worse ones are those who intentionally sabotage their team (as opposed to sabotaging it through stupidity), like what Loria did to the Expos and Marlins (sheesh. What does it take to nail a crook?).

Aren't the Suns really in a slump the past year or two?

And does anyone really think this Coyotes saga is going to end this season/offseason or do they think there's going to be another surprise angle that ends up keeping the team stalled out in the desert there?

Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
And does anyone really think this Coyotes saga is going to end this season/offseason or do they think there's going to be another surprise angle that ends up keeping the team stalled out in the desert there?
50/50 they stay or move on at this stage. We know Quebec's ready, not so sure about Seattle, an awful lot of unanswered question & question marks in the Northwest. On the other side of the coin, no, it wouldnt surprise if the team stays parked in neutral for another season.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
halligan10

I never watched a reality show but coming here everyday for the last coiple of years makes me feel like this is my first show lol. Can we try to guess the date of a final decision if it ever happen this year? Meaning stay or go. I am going with June 7

Old
03-25-2013, 10:18 PM
halligan10

If there is a winner he/she could choose the final thread title?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:30 PM
mesamonster

Apparently MH is back in town shilling for himself or his self proclaimed group of clowns (read IEH). He wined and dined Tip and GMDM, funny, I thought he had no money? maybe he is counting on the clowns to present a new plan to the mafia man GB and the imbeciles that are the COG Council!!!! Please dear lord tell these idiots that hockey is not fit for the desert in any iteration!!

Old
03-25-2013, 10:49 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Apparently MH is back in town shilling for himself or his self proclaimed group of clowns (read IEH). He wined and dined Tip and GMDM, funny, I thought he had no money? maybe he is counting on the clowns to present a new plan to the mafia man GB and the imbeciles that are the COG Council!!!! Please dear lord tell these idiots that hockey is not fit for the desert in any iteration!!
Can you provide a link to substantiate any of that?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Mork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Next time your in Haliburton Mork, go have lunch at "McKeck's" if its still even there. Walt McKechnies restaurant. I believe he also owned part of small resort inn & a sporting goods store in the area for awhile as well.
It's not easy to find an excuse to get up that way anymore, Killion and Mesa. The last trial I had coming out of Haliburton was heard in Lindsay. Minden is the county seat, but if they ever had a Superior Court office there it was before my time, and that goes back a good while. Fortunately, I do make a habit of interviewing all the witnesses. Nothing better than a few nice spring days up in God's country spending time with people where they like to be - away from it all! Good thing you survived mesa- if you hadn't it would have hurt attendance!

Last edited by Mork: 03-25-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 11:29 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
It's not easy to find an excuse to get up that way anymore, Killion and Mesa. The last trial I had coming out of Haliburton was heard in Lindsay. Minden is the county seat, but if they ever had a Superior Court office there it was before my time, and that goes back a goof while. Fortunately, I do make a habit of interviewing all the witnesses. Nothing better than a few nice spring days up in God's country spending time with people where they like to be - away from it all! Good thing you survived mesa- if you hadn't it would habve hurt attendance!
Those were the good ol days! How about the Haliburton summer fair, one of the campers was accused of ripping off one of the carnival games and things started to get ugly! in steps Ken Hodge and things quieted down in a hurry! never forget Hodge doing corner forecheck drills and a camper asks to see how hard his shot is? Hodge stands in the corner of the rink and with ONE arm lifts the puck to the opposite end of the rink in the air. Give that a try sometime, doubt it can be done by even some of the big boys today?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Whileee

Meanwhile, Joyce V Clark continues unabated in her "Clarkonomics".

She is cranky that the current council is not making big spending cuts to prepare for the sunsetting of the $22 million in sales tax increase in 2017, while still bemoaning the fact that the city council is not preserving the $17 million to put towards an arena management fee. Go figure.

Quote:
Still looming is how this council will address the loss of $22M in revenue currently being earned by the sales tax increase slated to sunset in 2017. The general feeling among council is that the city will have recovered by then and will easily absorb the $22M loss in sales tax revenue. There appears to be no will to be fiscally prudent and continue with cuts in anticipation of that loss of revenue. If they do not have the will to make gradual cuts each year for the next four years, they will be forced by circumstance to make draconian cuts in 2017. It’s very simple; karma catches up to you every time. http://joyceclarkunfiltered.com/now/
Don't you like the last line? Karma, indeed.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
How about Atlanta?
Phoenix......

Also, when looking at history, many of those markets (LA, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, etc.) struggled mightily in the past with competition from any of the other major sports. Dallas is struggling now.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Mork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I put my money on the "surprise" angle, which is a pretty safe bet because practically anything that happens would be a surprise. If they stay - that would be a surprise and if they move - well, that would be a surprise too the way things are unfolding in complete radio silence and whatnot.

I just don't think the NHL is done with Glendale yet.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I just don't think the NHL is done with Glendale yet.
Ya, theres something strange going on here yet again, or perhaps "its getting stranger"? Im not sure. My head & gut telling me this isnt over for some time yet. 50/50 either way right now. Really quite impossible to get a read on it as theres just nothing leaking out. Not a peep.... and yes. That thing with mesa. Drowning. The Police, handcuffs. Charges dropped. Good job you were on hand Councillor. Thanks. Checks in the mail.... since 1969.... hey, Canada Post... what can I say.

Last edited by Killion: 03-26-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Llama19

vCash: 0
Quote:
Meanwhile, Joyce V Clark continues unabated in her "Clarkonomics".

She is cranky that the current council is not making big spending cuts to prepare for the sunsetting of the $22 million in sales tax increase in 2017, while still bemoaning the fact that the city council is not preserving the $17 million to put towards an arena management fee. Go figure.

Don't you like the last line? Karma, indeed.
The Yucca district voters gave her the best karma of all...

Old
03-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
The Yucca district voters gave her the best karma of all...
Well, at least she's still "out there" and engaged. Interested. Easier to have just faded away I suppose...

Last edited by Killion: 03-26-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 01:24 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Oh, come on Mork... you can't be serious.
Hey man. Just curious; do you still think the Yotes staying in Glendale is a slam dunk?

Old
03-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Mork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Hey man. Just curious; do you still think the Yotes staying in Glendale is a slam dunk?
No. I never did think the Yotes staying in Glendale is a slam dunk.

Until realignment I would have thought QC the most likely option.

In view of realignment, I now think status quo the least unlikely option in a sea of unlikely options.

Think of how foolish and disruptive to move two franchises East only to move one of them West again so soon? We've been over this ad nauseum. No need again.

Hard to think of any plan that looks well developed and thought out, staying or going.

Last edited by Mork: 03-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
Phoenix, Dallas, Anahiem, Colorado, NJ Devils, NY Islanders and Miami. My point was that the NHL is traditionally in last place of the four major sports. No doubt many cities with all four major sports can ice a hockey team that sells out its barn. But the NHL is usually the team with the least room for error. Heck, there was a year or two when the Coyotes out drew the Hawks and the Bruins when those teams were especially bad. Having a competitive NBA team puts more stress on the local NHL team unless the NHL team is doing well.

For all their problems, the Coyotes have more sellouts this year than the Suns, and no one would question Phoenix has established itself as a strong NBA city over the years.

Well...let's just look at some of those. NJ and NYI aren't totally surprising. They're both sitting behind the Rangers in hockey, and are in a market with 2 NFL teams, 2 NBA teams, and 2 MLB teams. Never mind MLS. Miami, Phoenix, and Dallas...I'll give you those. But they all have something in common too.

I agree. NHL teams generally have the least margin for error...and it seems to be exacerbated in areas where hockey doesn't have deep roots.

Closed Thread