HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXVII

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, Pittsburgh couldn't get Hamhuis signed. Iginla is another Western Canadian that might want to stay closer to home. The Kings are who I would worry about.

If Iginla wants a cup, he knows he would have a good shot at it in Vancouver. The goaltending, top 5 defensemen, the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows are all going to be around the next few years - throw a 30-40 goalscoring RW and it's a great mix.
The problem is where he fits into this group. I don't see him a Kesler really gelling and is he really a puck retrieval guy like Burr is for the Sedins.

Ideally, they acquire Iginla and Ribeiro for the 2nd line but there's that stupid thing called the cap

Old
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm not going to get my hopes up but there are reasons why it could be a good match.
I don't like this Lebrun rumour. It reminds me too much of Doan, who's agent was obviously using Van to bid up Phoenix's offer. Calgary's identity is wrapped up in Calgary; they want to move one. A rumour of him going to Calgarians' most hated team might give Feaster/Calgary owners pause, and retain come next season.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
The only reason I don't think Van will pull off a big trade is because we don't have the prospects or depth to persuade other teams to part with their stars.

What little we do have in our farm I don't thnk we should be trading away for some UFA'S rentals, making it hard to do a deal.
If it's Iginla or St. Louis we're talking about, I would go for it, putting Jensen, Gaunce, 1st rd pick etc. on the table. Go for it for the next 3-5 years and tear it all down afterward if the need arises.

To Cal- Jensen, 1st, Raymond
To Van- Iginla, Jackman

Old
03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
I don't like this Lebrun rumour. It reminds me too much of Doan, who's agent was obviously using Van to bid up Phoenix's offer. Calgary's identity is wrapped up in Calgary; they want to move one. A rumour of him going to Calgarians' most hated team might give Feaster/Calgary owners pause, and retain come next season.
If rumors are to be believed, it's actually Iginla who wants to move on. He might be sick of playing on a loser.

Though I've seen no other reference to what would be a pretty big rumor coming from Lebrun so I suspect the poster that mentioned it is either mistaken or trolling, especially since they gave no source for it.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
If it's Iginla or St. Louis we're talking about, I would go for it, putting Jensen, Gaunce, 1st rd pick etc. on the table. Go for it for the next 3-5 years and tear it all down afterward if the need arises.

To Cal- Jensen, 1st, Raymond
To Van- Iginla, Jackman
I'd trade any other prospect/pick before Jensen, but that's just me.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:45 PM
BrandonL

Reading through the Hurricanes board and seems like a few of their fans want to move Jeff Skinner for a D-man.

Would love Skinner on the Canucks, only twenty years old and already has one 30 goal season under his belt. He's also on pace to score 30 again this year over an 82 game schedule. How many young offensive talents does this team have right now, either established NHL'ers or down on the farm?

It will never happen, but would be interested to see something like Skinner+ for Edler. Or maybe something like Tanev and Booth for Skinner.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
It would probably be Edler straight up, Skinner is very valuable

Old
silvercanuck

Iginla would never sign with the Canucks and he's probably not a good fit regardless.

Old
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
The problem is where he fits into this group. I don't see him a Kesler really gelling and is he really a puck retrieval guy like Burr is for the Sedins.
He may not retrieve loose pucks as well as Burrows but he can cycle well, has a superior shot to Burrows and would help keep the opposition from taking liberties with the twins. Giving Iginla a ton of offensive zone faceoffs with 2 of the best playmakers in the Western conference is putting him in a position to succeed.

If he wants to play in Vancouver, the Sedins are probably the biggest reason why. What better place for a goalscoring right winger than on the Canucks 1st line..

Old
03-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
That's my vote too. Corrado is next on that list... but not nearly as untouchable as Jensen is.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
LPH

IF he had decent chemistry with the twins there is no doubt in my mind he would get 40 goals in a full season, even though his play had declined. He also adds some much needed physicality and awesome mentoring for our younger guys

Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Im all onboard with trading Edler while his value is pretty damn high. His back worries me. Its been a long time since i've seen that physical edge he brought in one post season. And his footspeed is atrocious this year.

I never give up on players quickly but i just know he could fetch a really amazing player, so even if he remains the same, i still would be happy with the trade

So count me in on something like that

And regarding Jensen, no way do I want the canucks to trade him unless its for an under 25 star , in a package of course. And even then, pretty picky about who it is.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:52 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
He may not retrieve loose pucks as well as Burrows but he can cycle well, has a superior shot to Burrows and would help keep the opposition from taking liberties with the twins. Giving Iginla a ton of offensive zone faceoffs with 2 of the best playmakers in the Western conference is putting him in a position to succeed.

If he wants to play in Vancouver, the Sedins are probably the biggest reason why. What better place for a goalscoring right winger than on the Canucks 1st line..
On the best player in the worlds wing. That's if he wants to sign in the East, though.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:55 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
I'd probably still take that trade.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
John Bender

The rumour could have legs..........Iginla, from what I have heared is a very committed family guy. His family resides in kelowna full time. Playing in Chicago, LA, Boston - those are all pretty far away from Kelowna. Vancouver, on the other hand, is about a 40 minute flight. Direct. Vancouver is also a pretty good hockey team with a core that wins and is in the mix every year.

If Iginla is not going to be adverse to playing for a direct rival of Calgary, it may work. Iginla on a line with the Twins would be crazy good. Drop Burrows down to line #2 with a healthy Kesler, and the team looks a lot deeper.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Well yeah. But that's why Feaster would want him.

It would be a tough pill to swallow to lose Jensen but if that's the only way a deal gets done, I would do it, assuming Iginla wanted to re-sign.

At some point you have to go for it, and that time is now. IMO the Canucks best chance to win a cup in the next 20 years will be from now until the Sedins are no longer impact players. Virtually every piece is in place and locked up longterm. Throw Iginla into the mix and it could be the best roster the team ice's for the next 40 years. That's probably not hyperbole either.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I wouldn't touch that deal. How many documented concussions does the kid already have?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
That's not the case at all. Doan was seriously considering signing with Vancouver and was prepared to sign here on September 14th but at the very last second had a change of heart. We were probably as close to signing Doan as we could be.

03-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Peter Griffin

If Iginla was willing to re-sign for another two/three years, I would make any prospect available to acquire him. Id argue that Jarome is at least a 30+ goal scorer playing alongside the Sedins for the next few years and to me that's worth a prospect such as Jensen.

BTW, anyone actually track down a legit source for Lebrun stating that he "thinks" Iginla wants to sign here in the off-season?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I wouldn't touch that deal. How many documented concussions does the kid already have?
that's the risk youre taking, I don't think I would do it either, but that's what I would assume they would want. Doubt he goes anywhere though

Old
03-25-2013, 11:05 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I think Iginla - Kesler could work. Kesler reverts back to a pass first guy when he has a legit option on his wing.

Iginla at this point of his career is a very rich man's Samuelsson. Kesler had 50 assists that year?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
he missed 16 games in 2012 with a concussion, he's missed 5 games and counting so far this season with another

when healthy nobody in the league skates like skinner, i don't think carolina touches a deal for edler straight up

Old
03-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Im all onboard with trading Edler while his value is pretty damn high. His back worries me.
His senseless and reckless abuse of goaltenders is what worries me.

But I agree with his value being very high right now. I wonder what Detroit would give us for him.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:10 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
I think Iginla - Kesler could work. Kesler reverts back to a pass first guy when he has a legit option on his wing.

Iginla at this point of his career is a very rich man's Samuelsson. Kesler had 50 assists that year?
you're selling iginla short there, he's a much better playmaker than kesler, let alone samuelsson

i see no reason why a kesler-iginla line wouldn't work barring kesler playing like a complete idiot or iginla just falling off the map

Old
03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That's not the case at all. Doan was seriously considering signing with Vancouver and was prepared to sign here on September 14th but at the very last second had a change of heart. We were probably as close to signing Doan as we could be.
And that very last change of heart was Doan agreeing to Phoenix terms, right? Doan's agent was using Vancouver's bids as leverage the whole time. Perhaps Doan would not have minded playing here; however, his agent obviously was directed to keep the bids up. It just doesn't pass my stink test. And until Iginla is in green and blue, Lebrun's rumour won't either. (That said, I don't blame Doan for signing with Phoenix. He got great term length).

Closed Thread