HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Random thoughts about whats going on...

Old
03-24-2013, 02:43 AM
bucktown

vCash: 500
Random thoughts about whats going on...

Random thoughts after watching this seasons games and reading the last few pgt's...call me paranoid but I have some theories. *tinfoil hat*

Coach related:

Kreuger's (only) apparent 5 on 5 strategy is to maintain puck possession and draw penalties. Which doesn't work for multiple reasons, relying on the other team to take penalties and relying on the refs to call those penalties is paramount. Hardly a reliable strategy.

Not to mention the fact that this team has absolutely zero ability to gain the offensive zone even on a powerplay, let alone 5 on 5.

Bench management has been abysmal, as has special teams. Questionable lines, ice time, d pairings, scratches, everything.

Obviously there was going to be some growing pains with a first year nhl coach. But if he cant adapt and produce, at minimum, entertaining losses with the offensive tools he has at his disposal then there really isn't any excuse in my opinion. Unless...

Thoughts on management/ownership:

I have to assume that katz is not happy with his product, despite posting profits. He has to have some modicum of pride that would not allow him to accept whats going on for the sake of being in the black. On some level he has to be a fan.

That being said, he must have a plan. The only one that remotely makes sense to me, given the current state of affairs and maintaining this seemingly anemic management group, is to amass as many valuable assets as possible, evaluate, and make the necessary roster changes (both in staff and players) when he's holding all the cards, all the while, stringing the paying customer along as long as possible.

Thoughts on players:

Maybe they dont know it but they are being manipulated into going along with the master plan. Based on the level of offensive talent on this roster, and their resumes, the should be able to get out of the zone. They should be able to score multiple goals on a nightly basis. They should be, at a minimum, entertaining to watch.

The only reason they aren't is clearly because of coaching systems and strategy. And they know it. You can see it on their faces after they lose, you can see it in their responses to media after a loss, in their reactions to the fans booing, in their quotes after being scratched. Its like they genuinely feel like its not their fault. But kreuger is so nice and so positive that they cant just quit playing for him. And losing for the cause.

And really, even if this wasn't the plan from the start, its what it has evolved into. If by some fluke the oilers were winning this season, ownership/management would look like geniuses that caught lightning in a bottle. But since they aren't, the just get horcoff to ask for fan support again. Katz is a shrewd businessman, I sure wouldnt put it past him.

Keep a inept scapegoat management team of expendables (lowe, tambo, mac t) that can be relied upon to make poor decisions (coaching staff, roster) in order to acquire assets (highly touted draft picks) that keep paying customers vested in the future of the franchise by selling them hope, no pun intended.

Its the slow play, and one that if executed properly, will guarantee the financial security of this franchise for katz for a very long time. The arena completion date will coincide nicely with the time that the team should be emerging as a perennial contender, and is conveniently timed right around when the existing fans would be ready to give up their expensive season seats to the losing club, if it weren't for the fact that NONE of them would even consider it with a new arena on the horizon and a 10 year waiting list.

Last edited by bucktown: 03-24-2013 at 03:18 AM.
bucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

I'm not going to deny it: It really does look like Krueger's mandate for the forwards is to develop a well-rounded game while not letting the players play that wide open game that we see glimpses of. The defense stinks, though. His pursuit strategy is one I don't comprehend. That said, Krueger isn't the issue.

The problem is that Katz has played the game perfectly in the past several years.

- perennial awful team without consequences
- no pressure to acquire top talent
- using #1 picks as a drawing card for fans bereft of real talent to watch
- huge seat registry base that alone assures continual demand through losing years
- making large profits without any need to spend to the salary cap
- ability to choose a start date for being competitive by simply signing stopgap scrubs
- new arena building with ridiculous profits on the way
- absolute control of hockey market by marketing the Oil Kings to kids and not to adult fans

Needless to say I've been disgusted with this ****show for a long time.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
bucktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I'm not going to deny it: It really does look like Krueger's mandate for the forwards is to develop a well-rounded game while not letting the players play that wide open game that we see glimpses of. The defense stinks, though. His pursuit strategy is one I don't comprehend. That said, Krueger isn't the issue.

The problem is that Katz has played the game perfectly in the past several years.

- perennial awful team without consequences
- no pressure to acquire top talent
- using #1 picks as a drawing card for fans bereft of real talent to watch
- huge seat registry base that alone assures continual demand through losing years
- making large profits without any need to spend to the salary cap
- ability to choose a start date for being competitive by simply signing stopgap scrubs
- new arena building with ridiculous profits on the way
- absolute control of hockey market by marketing the Oil Kings to kids and not to adult fans

Needless to say I've been disgusted with this ****show for a long time.
Yup. I Particularly agree with the bolded. Based on the actions, and mostly inactions, there is really no explanation one could come to other than were basically being trolled.

Compared to other organizations, especially the ones that have been perennial losers, major changes have been made. GM's, coaches, directors of hockey operations, players, captains etc have been dropped for so much less than what has been allowed to exist within this org.

The "rebuild" excuse is just a half truth to justify what is really going on. And the really sad thing is that I cant really blame Katz and would probably do the same thing in his position.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Good thread.. I wanted to post something like this but never found the time so here's my thoughts on coaching..

So.. 4 coaches in the past 5 years and we decide to hire this idiot. Krueger is our worst coach we've had yet. Hopefully it becomes 5 coaches in 6 years. While people might say maybe it's time to look past coaching as the problem with this team, I don't agree Krueger should be off the hook because of it. Management is incapable of not only icing a competitive team but finding a capable coach. It's getting a little bit out of hand. Krueger's tactics, and system is pathetic.

A few more points on Krueger..

a) Changes the line's when it's working, yet keeps them together when it's not. We have the most OT/Shootout losses this year in the league. Imagine if we could hold a lead! We would be leading our division, guys. We really would. I put full blame on Krueger for those blown leads because it's painfully obvious what he's trying. Why doesn't he figure it out that this team is not capable of sitting back and trying to play good defense to preserve a lead? It hasn't worked all season, yet he continues to try it. I just don't get it.

b) Breakouts are the worst I've ever seen from this team. They scramble by rimming it around the boards or flipping it into the neutral zone and hoping for the best. We turn the puck over at least 15 times a game trying to breakout. I've been paying close attention to how other teams breakout lately and the differences are huge. Other teams, like the Blues are patient. They don't handle the puck like a hot potato and they understand how much time they actually have to make a safe play.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:47 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktown View Post
And the really sad thing is that I cant really blame Katz and would probably do the same thing in his position.
Katz is only one step away from Jeffrey Loria, (minus the lucky championship success). I really hope if I were a billionaire I would not spend my time buying up sports teams so I could rip off the public and not care about at the very least giving them good on field product in return.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:05 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

My opinion is that RNH and Eberle are struggling partially because of Krueger's system. D first, offense second... You can tell that RNH, Eberle, Hall and Yak sometimes don't really know what to do in this system and they seem a little lost.

If they were going to fire Renney for someone else, they should've looked a little farther than Renney's old bench. Krueger was a convenience hire.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Angry Boys

I dont know much about Mr katz, though generally speaking, self made billionaires do not attain that of level of success and wealth by tolerating mediocracy at all.
I can only assume that a pitch was made to him back a few years ago that a few years in the cellar will equal a long term powerhouse for years to come
He might be starting to doubt this as the years are starting to go by, without tangible results.

The buck has to start/stop with the guy(s) at the top and I would hope that both Lowe and Tambo aware of this.
Dont blame the multiple coaches in recent years. Look at the people who keep making the mistake of appointing the wrong guys for the role, or recruit the wrong players in the first place.

Organisations of excellence in all endeavors ( sports, business etc) start with the quality of CEO

Angry Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:11 AM
topchowda

Kruger is a great motivational speaker but not a fan of his systems. We have some many offensive assets but do not use an offensive system. We are like the capitals of 3 years ago, they played an offesnive systems and boosted huge numbers. They bled goals against but made up for it in GF. They switched to a defensive system and their numbers came crashing down.

It looks like Krueger skipped the offensive system and went right for defensive system. No activation of the D whatsever, palying to protect lead, overplaying smyth, underplaying Yaukpov

I think the old regime has got to go, Tambo, Lowe see ya boys. Ill give them 1 more TDL but if they dont make any moves it is unacceptable. Both Chicago and Pitt made trades around this time in their rebuilds. Need fresh minds, Burkey would be a great fit.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
bucktown

How is it that we are dying for some toughness in our bottom 6, and guys are getting picked up all over the place. morrow AND murray to pit??

#asleepatthewheel

Old
03-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktown View Post
How is it that we are dying for some toughness in our bottom 6, and guys are getting picked up all over the place. morrow AND murray to pit??

#asleepatthewheel
At the price of both of those players I'm glad Tambo's passive here. That would be like the Oilers trading Klefbom for Morrow (who wouldn't waive to come here anyways) and our 2nd + ANA 2nd for Murray. Both were overpayments.

If we see Clowe go for something we would have been happy to offer for him then we can say he's asleep at the wheel. I just don't think those examples you've given are good enough.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:24 AM
bucktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
At the price of both of those players I'm glad Tambo's passive here. That would be like the Oilers trading Klefbom for Morrow (who wouldn't waive to come here anyways) and our 2nd + ANA 2nd for Murray. Both were overpayments.

If we see Clowe go for something we would have been happy to offer for him then we can say he's asleep at the wheel. I just don't think those examples you've given are good enough.
I agree, but my point is that these types of players are available. And sooner or later, overpayment or not, someone is going to have to pull the trigger for this org.

There is only one excuse for this organization to not be making roster moves, and for management to remain employed. katz has a different plan in mind other than "win now".