HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Django Unchained - (Quentin Tarantino)

Old
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Saw it last night, absolutely loved it, though I do agree with Corto about the near ending.

Then again, don't think it brought the film down. Sometimes, you just get pissed and don't act logically, which is what happened.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

vCash: 500
You guys don't need to put spoilers. This thread is to discuss the movie.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Big fan of QT, and this was one of hist finest.

My favorite movie on 2012.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Good movie. Didnt find the violence too gratuitous in fact I loved the blood in the shoot out at the house especially considering the time period and accuracy or lack there of of the fire arms during that time.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Do you guys think he's changed his movie style since his early days? If you compare his last two big movies, Django and Inglorioud Basterds, to his early big movies, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, it seems as if he kept the same style, but changed the theme a bit.

He likes his long scenes with talking, he uses music very well, he uses deep plots with inside jokes, but he's tackling bigger issue. In his last two films he's gone into slavery and WWII whereas his earlier movies were more "fun".

Anyway, I know he said he's going to retire soon but I wonder if he's planning on continuing with this trend of big issue movies.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:09 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Do you guys think he's changed his movie style since his early days? If you compare his last two big movies, Django and Inglorioud Basterds, to his early big movies, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, it seems as if he kept the same style, but changed the theme a bit.

He likes his long scenes with talking, he uses music very well, he uses deep plots with inside jokes, but he's tackling bigger issue. In his last two films he's gone into slavery and WWII whereas his earlier movies were more "fun".

Anyway, I know he said he's going to retire soon but I wonder if he's planning on continuing with this trend of big issue movies.
He said that he plans on directing 10 movies. He is at 7 now.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Spoil:
I think he only had one bullet in the pistol.

But yeah I hated that scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Spoil:
He shot him with a derringer didn't he? Single shot, wouldn't have had time to reload. I think at that point Schultz was so disgusted with Candie, especially after being bested by him, that killing him and facing death was more favourable than shaking his hand. Let's not forgot, it's not as if he was an ordinary person, he faced death everyday. And I'm quite sure he was pretty crazy too.

Really enjoyed the movie, although I agree probably went about 20-30 min too long and probably could've done without the "bubbling tomato sauce bullet wounds". Acting was great, Waltz stole the show again. DiCaprio was also excellent. Really enjoyed Sam Jackson and his role as well. I burst out laughing at his suggestion for the fighters name when Schultz said he wanted a "Black Hercules". Classic Sam Jackson there.
Ah yes, I should've realized that was a single shot pistol. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:11 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I saw it the other night. Probably Tarantino's best (I'm not a huge fan of him). DiCaprio and Waltz stole the show. Just incredible actors.

However, the film seemed very realistic right up until the climax. The climax was far too overdone and I didn't like it. But overall, 2 hours of great movie isn't brought down by 15-20 minutes of bad decision making.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
xX Hot Fuss

All my friends who saw it keep saying...

"Why didn't they just pay $12K or something like that for Broomhilda straight up instead of going through the whole lie?"

They forget that Schultz had no intention of actually spending $12k. He was just going to buy Broomhilda and never come back "a week later" (or whatever it was) and buy the Mandingo fighter.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Megahab

I saw this last night. Great movie.

Spoil:
I actually thought Schultz was going to be a villain and turn on Django or make him his slave or something until well into the movie. After Inglorious Basterds, I just assumed Waltz would be a villain.

The only problem I had was the movie probably should have ended in the scene that Schultz and Candie died in. I didn't think it was necessary for Django to have to come back to Candie's house a second time to save Broomhilda. It didn't add much to the movie, IMO.

I have a few questions about things I might have missed or didn't understand:

Spoil:

-What made Samuel L. Jackson's character so suspicious that Django and Broomhilda knew each other?

-Why did Django have to kill Candie's sister? She didn't seem so evil and was not really a threat to Django.

-Was Schultz really so against shaking Candie's hand that he was willing to die instead and almost ruin the whole rescue plan? Also, what took so long for the guy who was pointing his gun at Django/Broomhilda to realize there was a shooting right behind him?

-I don't know much about slavery, but were masters just allowed to kill their slaves whenever they wanted without any penalty by the law?

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Movie has been out for months and it's a discussion thread, don't think we need spoilers.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Elever
Hth

Not gonna comment on the film itself but just looked at the list of movies and man is it pathetic that we're in 2013 and this is the only highly rated mainstream movie playing in a theatre.

Dark Skies, 21 and Over, Die Hard, Dead Man Down, Hansel & Gretel,....yikes these movies all have bad reviews, the rest are kids movies, and Oz has a mediocre review (61%).

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Spoil:

-I don't know much about slavery, but were masters just allowed to kill their slaves whenever they wanted without any penalty by the law?

No, they could be prosecuted for doing this depending on the state. But the punishments also varied depending on the locale and could be as mild as a fine.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Not gonna comment on the film itself but just looked at the list of movies and man is it pathetic that we're in 2013 and this is the only highly rated mainstream movie playing in a theatre.

Dark Skies, 21 and Over, Die Hard, Dead Man Down, Hansel & Gretel,....yikes these movies all have bad reviews, the rest are kids movies, and Oz has a mediocre review (61%).
This is pretty typical for early in the year. Studios are usually just burning off their duds. The good tends to be more family oriented with an occasional film that the studio misjudged the quality of or didn't know how to market.

I looked back at previous years. Here are the only movies opening in wide release during January and February with over 70% at Rotten Tomatoes for the last 10 years. It's varied from 0-3 films that fit the criteria. This year is on the low side but it's not that unusual.

Warm Bodies 78%

Chronicle 85%
The Grey 79%
Big Miracle 74%

The Adjustment Bureau 73%

The Crazies 71%

Coraline 89%

The Spiderwick Chronicles 80%
Cloverfield 77%
Definitely, Maybe 70%

Breach 84%
Bridge to Terabithia 84%
Amazing Grace 70%

Nanny McPhee 73%
Eight Below 72%

Pooh's Heffalump Movie 80%

Miracle 80%

None

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:44 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post

Movies are never good at this time of year,

Summer blockbusters + Oscar season/ Christmas is where you'll find the majority of "quality" movies being released.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Eisen

Just watched the movie. Amusing. I was entertained. Especially by the re-use of the soundtrack of my favourite western.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:42 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Big fan of QT, and this was one of hist finest.

My favorite movie on 2012.
Basterds and Pulp Fiction are still higher up the list for me.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:27 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Basterds and Pulp Fiction are still higher up the list for me.
For me I'd go:

Inglourious Basterds
Django Unchained
Pulp Fiction
Resevoir Dogs
Kill Bills
Jackie Brown

HM to the room he directed in Four Rooms. Pure genius and one of my favourite movies of all time. Tim Roth was frikkin hilarious.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Shareefruck

Confirms my suspicions about the ego on this guy:
Quote:
When Quentin Tarantino’s western revenge-fantasy Django Unchained was first announced, casting rumors pegged Will Smith as the titular slave-turned-vigilante. But Smith, who teams with his son Jaden in this summer’s sci-fi epic After Earth, tells EW that he turned down the part because his character would’ve been second fiddle to the bounty hunter (played by Christoph Waltz) who teaches Django his trade . “Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!” says the Men in Black star, whose departure opened the door for Jamie Foxx to play the role.

Smith says that before he left the project, he even pleaded with Tarantino to let Django have a more central role in the story. “I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!’” (Ironically, Waltz was considered a supporting actor during his Oscar-winning award season, while Jamie Foxx was promoted as the movie’s lead.)

But no hard feelings: Smith was a big fan of the final product. “I thought it was brilliant,” he says. “Just not for me.”
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/03/2...ngo-unchained/

Ughh.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Kitten Mittons

I love Will Smith but that's pretty lame.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Just watched the movie. Amusing. I was entertained. Especially by the re-use of the soundtrack of my favourite western.

Was the song used in the Trinity movies, likely helped me leave Django Unchained with a good feeling? I think it was the 2nd Trinity that has one of my favourite scenes from any childhood movie. When the family is sitting around eating their beans. Almost never want to see the movie again, doubt it would live up to memory.

Last edited by Section337: 03-26-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Confirms my suspicions about the ego on this guy:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/03/2...ngo-unchained/

Ughh.
Smith was also the one who turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix to do Wild Wild West. Safe to say he's more interested in making money than good movies.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:31 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Smith was also the one who turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix to do Wild Wild West. Safe to say he's more interested in making money than good movies.
Or he thought The Matrix would absolutely bomb and be a terrible movie? Not outlandish considering a film like that hasn't been made before.

Stars pass on films all the time. It isn't always ego or $$$ driven

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Or he thought The Matrix would absolutely bomb and be a terrible movie? Not outlandish considering a film like that hasn't been made before.

Stars pass on films all the time. It isn't always ego or $$$ driven
Smith just strikes me as someone who's more concerned with being a "movie star" than being an actor. Hey, more power to him. He's allowed to have his reasons for picking the projects he does, and I'm allowed to form my opinion of him based on those choices.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Maybe he knew Matrix Reloaded was on the way.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote