Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
O'Connor suspended. This league is a joke! Can't have a clean body check anymore.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
amyles
We The North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
O'Connor suspended. This league is a joke! Can't have a clean body check anymore.
Wow! That's a joke. He gets suspended for hitting a guy to hard. The hit on Hall was worse, but the only difference was that Hall didn't lie on the ice to try and draw a bigger penalty. This league is such a joke, taking away fighting and now taking away good clean hockey hits.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:13 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Anyone know why Theo didn't play the 3rd?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Pony

Told he was battling same flu bug that Scheifele was.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
OlZamMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyles View Post
Wow! That's a joke. He gets suspended for hitting a guy to hard. The hit on Hall was worse, but the only difference was that Hall didn't lie on the ice to try and draw a bigger penalty. This league is such a joke, taking away fighting and now taking away good clean hockey hits.
Is that confirmed?? Nothing on the OHL site (yet anyway). How many games? That play happened right in front of me, and I watched the replays after getting home.
Correct - hard hit. Nobody likes to see a player injured, but it happens in a contact sport. And I believe Watson was back out on the ice not long after.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlZamMan View Post
Is that confirmed?? Nothing on the OHL site (yet anyway). How many games? That play happened right in front of me, and I watched the replays after getting home.
Correct - hard hit. Nobody likes to see a player injured, but it happens in a contact sport. And I believe Watson was back out on the ice not long after.
Craig Ripley ‏@Craig_Ripley 3h
@OHLBarrieColts defenceman Ryan O'Connor will not play tonight. He is suspended, length has not been determined yet #Colts

Old
03-25-2013, 06:29 PM
amyles
We The North

Looks like the Colts are missing Camara, O'Connor, and Lemieux for tonights game. Brown, Scott, and Yuill are in for those three.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:50 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Looks like the Colts are missing Camara, O'Connor, and Lemieux for tonights game. Brown, Scott, and Yuill are in for those three.
Should still be able to beat Kingston. I almost hope the Colts drop a game or two in this series now, just so that they can work off some of these suspensions.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
amyles
We The North

Was looking like they were going to lose tonight but they came up clutch with 3 straight in the final 4 minutes of the game. And where are those London fans that told us that Athanasiou would eventually stop playing good? He was amazing the first two games; earning the first star in both and got a big tying goal in the game tonight. He always seems to be one of the best players on the ice and i'm sure every team would love to have him.

Here's the Camara suspension:

And the O'Connor suspension:

Last edited by amyles: 03-27-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
And where are those London fans that told us that Athanasiou would eventually stop playing good? He was amazing the first two games; earning the first star in both and got a big tying goal in the game tonight. He always seems to be one of the best players on the ice and i'm sure every team would love to have him.
I can't believe any London fan would talk bad about Athanasiou, he really is one of the most underrated players in the league and I was sad to see him go. He needed a bit more consistency and maturity, but when he did go, he WENT. Bottom line though was that while he had some big goals, he wasn't producing huge points like some of the other bottom liners on the Knights, and so taking some draft picks wasn't a terrible idea.

Flipping the puck into the crowd is a BS suspension, but I'm a little sketchy on that hit. Didn't look like significant contact to the head, but it did look like he followed through right into the head. Can't really see though, so who knows.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:10 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Was looking like they were going to lose tonight but they came up clutch with 3 straight in the final 4 minutes of the game. And where are those London fans that told us that Athanasiou would eventually stop playing good? He was amazing the first two games; earning the first star in both and got a big tying goal in the game tonight. He always seems to be one of the best players on the ice and i'm sure every team would love to have him.

Here's the Camara suspension:

And the O'Connor suspension:
I don't understand how they were down in AA either. Could just be that the change of scenery did the kid some good. In any event, that deal has turne out way in favour of the Colts...

Unfortunately both AC15 and RO6 are offside with those plays. You can't be flipping (shooting?) pucks into the stands on purpose. That could lead to lawsuits. As for the hit, I have always said (and can't turn back now) that people should be accountable for their actions and knowing what we know about head injuries you can't be hitting people in the head. Having said that OC has nearly 5 full years in the league incident free. That has to be taken into account. It's not like he's a Zack kASSian...

Fortunately, the game lost will be against the Fronts and not the Bulls. It might not be the worst thing in the world for the Colts to drop one to the Fronts to get at least the Camara suspension served this series.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
amyles
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I don't understand how they were down in AA either. Could just be that the change of scenery did the kid some good. In any event, that deal has turne out way in favour of the Colts...

Unfortunately both AC15 and RO6 are offside with those plays. You can't be flipping (shooting?) pucks into the stands on purpose. That could lead to lawsuits. As for the hit, I have always said (and can't turn back now) that people should be accountable for their actions and knowing what we know about head injuries you can't be hitting people in the head. Having said that OC has nearly 5 full years in the league incident free. That has to be taken into account. It's not like he's a Zack kASSian...

Fortunately, the game lost will be against the Fronts and not the Bulls. It might not be the worst thing in the world for the Colts to drop one to the Fronts to get at least the Camara suspension served this series.
Yeah, I agree that losing a few against Kingston would not be the worst thing in the world. Having a full line up against presumably Oshawa would definitely help us out a lot more.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:10 PM
LeafsColts13

Be nice to find out how long O'Connor is suspended before the 2nd round. Never seen the decision take this long.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Be nice to find out how long O'Connor is suspended before the 2nd round. Never seen the decision take this long.
Oh, it has taken this long before. When it does, the suspension usually ends up being pretty lengthy. I'm thinking Rinaldo's (turned out to be 8 playoff games?) showed up as indefinite until he had a hearing. The thing is, Zac was a multiple time offender. It wouldn't seem right if they give OC double digits for his first illegal hit in 5 years...having said that, it wouldn't shock me. It would be a bit of a hit, but there are guys who can step in. We saw Ekblad play 30+ (good) minutes a night in the OT games last year as an underager, no reason he couldn't this year as well.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:41 PM
LeafsColts13

10 games for O'Connor. Branch should be fired. They should change the name to Ontario Hitless league. Feel bad for O'Connor.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
10 games for THAT? Nothing short of ridiculous.

03-27-2013, 04:05 PM
amyles
We The North

Quote:
10 games for O'Connor. Branch should be fired. They should change the name to Ontario Hitless league. Feel bad for O'Connor.
WHAT?!?! That didn't deserve one game let alone TEN. If Watson was not injured then that would have been a nothing play. I don't understand why suspensions are influenced by how badly the other player was injured.

Does last game count as one of the 10 games?

Old
03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
That

10 games? Absolutely ridiculous. It's might be worthy of a game or two, but there's no way O'Connor should be sitting for 10.

It seems to be completely based on the fact that Watson was injured, not on the hit itself. What a joke.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Branch really does need to be fired, the league is a joke.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:41 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
They slowed down the hit tonight on the broadcast and it was a clear hit to the head. Watson is still out. There have been weaker hits that have been given 10 games this year. Not a shock, by any means. I'm wondering if the game already served counts?

Last edited by ottsabrefan: 03-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
They slowed down the hit tonight on the broadcast and it was a clear hit to the head. Watson is still out. There have been weaker hits that have been given 10 games this year. Not a shock, by any means. I'm wondering if the game already served counts?
There has also been worse hits with no suspension. I think the major problem is consistancy. In the WHL it might have been a 2 game suspension which much of colts fans could have lived with. About Watson injury, it looked like it was when he hit the ice the injury happened, not the hit. But that's just my opinion.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:44 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
There has also been worse hits with no suspension. I think the major problem is consistancy. In the WHL it might have been a 2 game suspension which much of colts fans could have lived with. About Watson injury, it looked like it was when he hit the ice the injury happened, not the hit. But that's just my opinion.
It's hard to know which of the two caused the injury (my guess is probably both), although the Kingston perspective is that the hit to the head caused him to hit his head on the ice. I don't think there was intent, but it was a bit hard to see a 20-year old, drill a 16-year old like that. But, he definitely shouldn't have had his head down.

Congrats to the Colts! Best of luck in their next series. Impressive performances by Neiderberger and Scheifele (and AA). They pretty much carried the team through the first 3 games. To me those two were the difference in the series and without them the Colts might have been looking at the barrel pointed at them, rather than the other way around. And hopefully, the Colts can get their discipline issues turned around (it was pretty painful watching Hawerchuk yell at the officials for five penaly calls every game!).

For next year, I'm interested to hear thoughts on whether Fotino will be able to carry the load as the starter?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:00 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
It wouldn't seem right if they give OC double digits for his first illegal hit in 5 years...having said that, it wouldn't shock me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
10 games for THAT? Nothing short of ridiculous.
Sad, but I can't say it shocks me. See above... (wish this is one I would have been wrong about). How bad the injury is seems to influence the penalty more than it should in the OHL of late. Intent should have the heavier weighting...

Old
03-27-2013, 10:03 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I doubt it. I saw two worse hits (from an intent perspective) in Sunday's Oil King's game. In one case the guy took a moment to get up and wobbled to the bench behind the play, in the other the guy got up right away. In both cases there was no penalty issued, let alone a suspension review.

My assessment is that there is a lot more talent in the OHL than the WHL, but the WHL is a lot rougher.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:17 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
For next year, I'm interested to hear thoughts on whether Fotino will be able to carry the load as the starter?
I think he'll be just fine. Most of the people in my area of the BMC felt he was as good if not better than Niederberger when he needed to fill in for him last season. If not for a freak injury of his own to stop his run, he may have kept the starter's role for the rest of last year (he had been 1st star in 2 of the preceding 3 games, before the injury, and was a star in 4 of his last 8 games last year).

Also, it's a small sample size, but to this point he's never given up a playoff goal.

Closed Thread