HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella Thread Pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Eh...he seems pretty similar to Tortorella. No thanks.
They're quite different. Their systems, albeit similar and defensively focused, are a little different.

And the way they handle the media is worlds apart.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:32 PM
bmw2004

I was thinking Avery. He could be a very good coach.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Torts isn"t goint to get fired yet. The system is on the verge of being tweaked to better suit our players. Moreso now with Zucc and Fasth on the way. Lets see how it all plays out on the ice.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Ladies and gentlemen, it's official: we are dead last in the league in GF.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, it's official: we are dead last in the league in GF.
First in something

Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Just got off the phone with the Red Cross. Turns out that our offense does NOT qualify as a famine.

I'm outraged.

03-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Just got off the phone with the Red Cross. Turns out that our offense does NOT qualify as a famine.

I'm outraged.
We'd be the best if the net was along the boards!

Old
03-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

I want nothing to do with Lindy Ruff. His best years are behind him, and even those kind of sucked, to be honest.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
OverTheCap

Not sure what the obsession with is Ruff, unless the people who want him are big proponents of the neutral zone trap.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Kershaw

I want a puck possession coach. No more grinding systems. Hire one of Chicago/LA's assistants.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Not sure what the obsession with is Ruff, unless the people who want him are big proponents of the neutral zone trap.
I want Ruff namely because he seems to be the only coach who has experience and I don't want Mike Sullivan coaching this team. I like Torts but he's gotta adjust his system or accept his fate.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
How about Boucher?

At least he'll walk into a team that has a bonafide goalie and legitimate defense.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
How about Boucher?

At least he'll walk into a team that has a bonafide goalie and legitimate defense.
He's seems more a product of having Lecavier, St. Louis, and Stamkos than being an offensive master mind. I could be wrong.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
He's seems more a product of having Lecavier, St. Louis, and Stamkos than being an offensive master mind. I could be wrong.
But that's because he's only had that to work with. Their top 3 is better, but our top 6 evens that out.

That, and our D and Lundy, I think the guy could work his magic on this team.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
But that's because he's only had that to work with. Their top 3 is better, but our top 6 evens that out.

That, and our D and Lundy, I think the guy could work his magic on this team.
Who knows. At this point i'm all for something that works.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:18 PM
showjaxx

vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
They're quite different. Their systems, albeit similar and defensively focused, are a little different.

And the way they handle the media is worlds apart.
Yea let's choose a hockey coach based on how they handle the media

Old
03-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Mikos87

Ruff is known for his antics. I don't think Torts suddenly got stupid, its just that teams play differently on offense (ie carrying it in, and that RH offensive D would help) than what Torts is playing with his top 6.

Boston and Chicago have their top 6 making plays and taking risks, while the bottom six dumps and chases, but the Dmen all put pressure coming up the ice, the horses aren't in place for one as Bos and Chi have their system working because of all their D and checkers lining up on the strong side for an effective dump and chase game.

What it comes down to is that the quality athletes that occupied the bottom 6 last year cashed in elsewhere, and were replaced by works in progress or players that owe no loyalty to NYR org or Torts, thus the failure in holding up the lineup.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMollyOxenFree View Post
Yea let's choose a hockey coach based on how they handle the media
Pretty pathetic this has actually become part of the discussion...

Old
03-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Pretty pathetic this has actually become part of the discussion...
It is pathetic...but sadly, also relevant. The NHL is still an old boys network, that there are still quite a bit of unwritten rules regarding teams, player and management conduct. Making waves and causing a ruckus tends to have some not-so-subtle side effects regarding the treatment of an organization in this league.

I can tell you as an Ottawa native and having the Sens as my #1 team since 1991, that we're still paying for the day we pulled a Roger Neilson and did the white-towel-on-a-stick routine during a game. The refs haven't forgotten about that yet. And I'm sure as a Rangers fan you see the mistreatment Avery got from the league; many of his fines and suspensions wouldn't have happened to a different player.

That said, Tortorella (and whoever that little PR person is beside him this season) is doing a much better job handling the media this season, all things considered. He still shows that fire, but it is controlled (well, for the most part, anyways).

Old
03-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
It is pathetic...but sadly, also relevant. The NHL is still an old boys network, that there are still quite a bit of unwritten rules regarding teams, player and management conduct. Making waves and causing a ruckus tends to have some not-so-subtle side effects regarding the treatment of an organization in this league.

I can tell you as an Ottawa native and having the Sens as my #1 team since 1991, that we're still paying for the day we pulled a Roger Neilson and did the white-towel-on-a-stick routine during a game. The refs haven't forgotten about that yet. And I'm sure as a Rangers fan you see the mistreatment Avery got from the league; many of his fines and suspensions wouldn't have happened to a different player.

That said, Tortorella (and whoever that little PR person is beside him this season) is doing a much better job handling the media this season, all things considered. He still shows that fire, but it is controlled (well, for the most part, anyways).
I was laughing my ass off when one of the reporters asked him what he thought about Winnipeg's "TORT-O-RELLA" chant, John started, "Wait, what?"

PR guy:"NEXT QUESTION".

Wasn't that incident with the Canucks?

Old
03-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Rust Heisenberg

I want Scotty Bowman. Can we make this happen?

Old
03-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I was laughing my ass off when one of the reporters asked him what he thought about Winnipeg's "TORT-O-RELLA" chant, John started, "Wait, what?"

PR guy:"NEXT QUESTION".

Wasn't that incident with the Canucks?
Originally, yes. But one of our players on the bench (Peter Schaefer, iirc) also did it again back around 2006-07. It also didn't help the Murray spent a lot of time chirping to the media about bad calls around that time, too. Refs have been somewhat 'iffy' with the Sens since then.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Ail
k.

Just heard from a guy at work that there's a rumor that Torts could be fired. He said he heard it on a local Philadelphia sports radio station this morning.

Seems more like speculation to me, I told him it was unlikely to happen this season unless things got way worse.

03-26-2013, 08:33 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
I dont know if it was posted in here or another thread, but i was talking to a coworker and he said that there was an article somewhere on Zucc's coach was bashing Torts style of coaching. He said Zucc would not work out because of Torts "Stoneage Hockey Style".

Old
03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Just heard from a guy at work that there's a rumor that Torts could be fired. He said he heard it on a local Philadelphia sports radio station this morning.

Seems more like speculation to me, I told him it was unlikely to happen this season unless things got way worse.
It's floating around at a lot of places. I heard it mentioned the other day when the Rangers came here to Pittsburgh. All the radio personalities were talking about how Torts is on thin-ice.

I work in the area of Pittsburgh where a lot of radio stations are located. I saw one of the personalities down at the deli (Using the term "deli" very loosely mind you.. freaking Pittsburgh) and he said that there was some tension between the powers that be because Torts had failed to open up the system after there was an injection of talent. He also said that you could really feel the tension in the locker-room while they were interviewing players, which was a big change from how it was last season.

Keep in mind that it's basically 3rd hand information at this point.

Closed Thread