HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella Thread Pt. II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
  #326
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Eh...he seems pretty similar to Tortorella. No thanks.
They're quite different. Their systems, albeit similar and defensively focused, are a little different.

And the way they handle the media is worlds apart.

silverfish is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:32 PM
  #327
bmw2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
I was thinking Avery. He could be a very good coach.

bmw2004 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
  #328
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Torts isn"t goint to get fired yet. The system is on the verge of being tweaked to better suit our players. Moreso now with Zucc and Fasth on the way. Lets see how it all plays out on the ice.

hpNYR is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
  #329
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Ladies and gentlemen, it's official: we are dead last in the league in GF.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
  #330
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, it's official: we are dead last in the league in GF.
First in something

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
  #331
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,696
vCash: 50
Just got off the phone with the Red Cross. Turns out that our offense does NOT qualify as a famine.

I'm outraged.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:58 PM
  #332
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Just got off the phone with the Red Cross. Turns out that our offense does NOT qualify as a famine.

I'm outraged.
We'd be the best if the net was along the boards!

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:58 PM
  #333
Zamboner
Your move, creep.
 
Zamboner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
I want nothing to do with Lindy Ruff. His best years are behind him, and even those kind of sucked, to be honest.

Zamboner is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
  #334
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,619
vCash: 500
Not sure what the obsession with is Ruff, unless the people who want him are big proponents of the neutral zone trap.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
  #335
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
I want a puck possession coach. No more grinding systems. Hire one of Chicago/LA's assistants.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
  #336
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Not sure what the obsession with is Ruff, unless the people who want him are big proponents of the neutral zone trap.
I want Ruff namely because he seems to be the only coach who has experience and I don't want Mike Sullivan coaching this team. I like Torts but he's gotta adjust his system or accept his fate.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
  #337
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Not sure what the obsession with is Ruff, unless the people who want him are big proponents of the neutral zone trap.
How about Boucher?

At least he'll walk into a team that has a bonafide goalie and legitimate defense.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:06 PM
  #338
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
How about Boucher?

At least he'll walk into a team that has a bonafide goalie and legitimate defense.
He's seems more a product of having Lecavier, St. Louis, and Stamkos than being an offensive master mind. I could be wrong.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
  #339
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
He's seems more a product of having Lecavier, St. Louis, and Stamkos than being an offensive master mind. I could be wrong.
But that's because he's only had that to work with. Their top 3 is better, but our top 6 evens that out.

That, and our D and Lundy, I think the guy could work his magic on this team.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:15 PM
  #340
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
But that's because he's only had that to work with. Their top 3 is better, but our top 6 evens that out.

That, and our D and Lundy, I think the guy could work his magic on this team.
Who knows. At this point i'm all for something that works.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:18 PM
  #341
showjaxx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,577
vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
They're quite different. Their systems, albeit similar and defensively focused, are a little different.

And the way they handle the media is worlds apart.
Yea let's choose a hockey coach based on how they handle the media

showjaxx is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:50 PM
  #342
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
Ruff is known for his antics. I don't think Torts suddenly got stupid, its just that teams play differently on offense (ie carrying it in, and that RH offensive D would help) than what Torts is playing with his top 6.

Boston and Chicago have their top 6 making plays and taking risks, while the bottom six dumps and chases, but the Dmen all put pressure coming up the ice, the horses aren't in place for one as Bos and Chi have their system working because of all their D and checkers lining up on the strong side for an effective dump and chase game.

What it comes down to is that the quality athletes that occupied the bottom 6 last year cashed in elsewhere, and were replaced by works in progress or players that owe no loyalty to NYR org or Torts, thus the failure in holding up the lineup.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:38 AM
  #343
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMollyOxenFree View Post
Yea let's choose a hockey coach based on how they handle the media
Pretty pathetic this has actually become part of the discussion...

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:58 AM
  #344
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Pretty pathetic this has actually become part of the discussion...
It is pathetic...but sadly, also relevant. The NHL is still an old boys network, that there are still quite a bit of unwritten rules regarding teams, player and management conduct. Making waves and causing a ruckus tends to have some not-so-subtle side effects regarding the treatment of an organization in this league.

I can tell you as an Ottawa native and having the Sens as my #1 team since 1991, that we're still paying for the day we pulled a Roger Neilson and did the white-towel-on-a-stick routine during a game. The refs haven't forgotten about that yet. And I'm sure as a Rangers fan you see the mistreatment Avery got from the league; many of his fines and suspensions wouldn't have happened to a different player.

That said, Tortorella (and whoever that little PR person is beside him this season) is doing a much better job handling the media this season, all things considered. He still shows that fire, but it is controlled (well, for the most part, anyways).

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:51 AM
  #345
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
It is pathetic...but sadly, also relevant. The NHL is still an old boys network, that there are still quite a bit of unwritten rules regarding teams, player and management conduct. Making waves and causing a ruckus tends to have some not-so-subtle side effects regarding the treatment of an organization in this league.

I can tell you as an Ottawa native and having the Sens as my #1 team since 1991, that we're still paying for the day we pulled a Roger Neilson and did the white-towel-on-a-stick routine during a game. The refs haven't forgotten about that yet. And I'm sure as a Rangers fan you see the mistreatment Avery got from the league; many of his fines and suspensions wouldn't have happened to a different player.

That said, Tortorella (and whoever that little PR person is beside him this season) is doing a much better job handling the media this season, all things considered. He still shows that fire, but it is controlled (well, for the most part, anyways).
I was laughing my ass off when one of the reporters asked him what he thought about Winnipeg's "TORT-O-RELLA" chant, John started, "Wait, what?"

PR guy:"NEXT QUESTION".

Wasn't that incident with the Canucks?

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:18 AM
  #346
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 50
I want Scotty Bowman. Can we make this happen?

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:46 AM
  #347
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I was laughing my ass off when one of the reporters asked him what he thought about Winnipeg's "TORT-O-RELLA" chant, John started, "Wait, what?"

PR guy:"NEXT QUESTION".

Wasn't that incident with the Canucks?
Originally, yes. But one of our players on the bench (Peter Schaefer, iirc) also did it again back around 2006-07. It also didn't help the Murray spent a lot of time chirping to the media about bad calls around that time, too. Refs have been somewhat 'iffy' with the Sens since then.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 07:38 AM
  #348
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Just heard from a guy at work that there's a rumor that Torts could be fired. He said he heard it on a local Philadelphia sports radio station this morning.

Seems more like speculation to me, I told him it was unlikely to happen this season unless things got way worse.

__________________
Ail is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 08:33 AM
  #349
BrianLeetch2
Registered User
 
BrianLeetch2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toms River NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 690
vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
I dont know if it was posted in here or another thread, but i was talking to a coworker and he said that there was an article somewhere on Zucc's coach was bashing Torts style of coaching. He said Zucc would not work out because of Torts "Stoneage Hockey Style".

BrianLeetch2 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
  #350
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Just heard from a guy at work that there's a rumor that Torts could be fired. He said he heard it on a local Philadelphia sports radio station this morning.

Seems more like speculation to me, I told him it was unlikely to happen this season unless things got way worse.
It's floating around at a lot of places. I heard it mentioned the other day when the Rangers came here to Pittsburgh. All the radio personalities were talking about how Torts is on thin-ice.

I work in the area of Pittsburgh where a lot of radio stations are located. I saw one of the personalities down at the deli (Using the term "deli" very loosely mind you.. freaking Pittsburgh) and he said that there was some tension between the powers that be because Torts had failed to open up the system after there was an injection of talent. He also said that you could really feel the tension in the locker-room while they were interviewing players, which was a big change from how it was last season.

Keep in mind that it's basically 3rd hand information at this point.

Trxjw is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.