HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #31: San Jose Sharks at Anaheim Ducks~ "This hockey thing is getting old." 7PM.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:03 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes of Teal View Post
The breakout, was like , there tonight. sup wit dat?

I guess switching Murray for Demers will do things like that.
It really does. I don't like trashing a player that was traded, but it's true. Every pairing has at least 1 good puck-mover now.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:13 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Galiardi-Thornton-Burns
Wingels-Couture-Havlat
Marleau-Pavelski-Sheppard

I'm thinking this might be the best way to do it. Gives each line a suitable F1 (Burns, Wingels, Marleau), spreads out the scoring, and allows Marleau and Pavelski to play shutdown.
No way. The top line stays as configured. Thornton gets the teams best D players typically so it's better to have another sneaky slick player on the line to take advantage of the space. With that room Havlat can either shoot with his spectacular wrister or feed Burns who has a bomb. Passer + passer/shooter + shooter/chaos creator... that's a good first line that won't be so predictable and easy to shut down. I love pavs but he doesn't have the juice this year to really take advantage of the space THornton and Burns create.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:19 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Because he's the number one star in our hearts.
Thomas Greiss really should let Joe wear no.1

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Thomas Greiss really should let Joe wear no.1
Because being the caring and compassionate god he is he doesn't want everyone to buy new jerseys with #1 instead of #19.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:05 AM
Juxtaposer
Outro:Divina Comedia

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
No way. The top line stays as configured. Thornton gets the teams best D players typically so it's better to have another sneaky slick player on the line to take advantage of the space. With that room Havlat can either shoot with his spectacular wrister or feed Burns who has a bomb. Passer + passer/shooter + shooter/chaos creator... that's a good first line that won't be so predictable and easy to shut down. I love pavs but he doesn't have the juice this year to really take advantage of the space THornton and Burns create.
I guess you missed the whole "Couture-Marleau-Wingels line gets destroyed" thing, then. They were absolutely demolished. Not a good configuration of players.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:05 AM
do0glas

Quote:
I guess you missed the whole "Couture-Marleau-Wingels line gets destroyed" thing, then. They were absolutely demolished. Not a good configuration of players.
Demolished by rpg-juggle the lines.

No thanks.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Plowevelski
wuts this SCF thing?

No better way to pay tribute to the nearly departed Cranky than to beat the Quacks.

Commander Sheppard scores?!!... Must have been the clone Shep from the crappy new DLC!

Logan got robbed as well. War room fails again. I felt like as soon as they showed the replay we'd get that one called back because we're the Sharks.

Was stuck with the Quacks feed on the stream. My excuse was I had friends over and was too lazy to find another. Ahlers and Hayward weren't completely insufferable tonight which was a welcomed miracle.

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:37 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
To be honest they didn't look as bad as when thorntons line faces getz. That line will be fine because it has the 2 top goal scorers on the team on it who are also very good defensively. Wingels is a good compliment because he'll crash and bang or whatever it takes. Just cause that line didn't appear to gel as much as the other ones doesn't mean it's doomed to fail. To be honest that's probably the line I worry the least about considering each players above average self motivation levels. I thought their line had a ton of great chances and didn't get hemmed in their own zone nearly as much as I'm used to seeing when Getz and Perry are on the ice.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:13 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Demers and Braun were both pretty awful last night.....

03-26-2013, 07:50 AM
redfish
awesome hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
To be honest they didn't look as bad as when thorntons line faces getz. That line will be fine because it has the 2 top goal scorers on the team on it who are also very good defensively. Wingels is a good compliment because he'll crash and bang or whatever it takes. Just cause that line didn't appear to gel as much as the other ones doesn't mean it's doomed to fail. To be honest that's probably the line I worry the least about considering each players above average self motivation levels. I thought their line had a ton of great chances and didn't get hemmed in their own zone nearly as much as I'm used to seeing when Getz and Perry are on the ice.
I agree completely. I thought the Couture, Marleau, Wingels line had a ton of good chances. I think they did well against a tough matchup. Great breakouts and speed through neutral zone. Many just missed chances.

redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Both were vast improvements on Douglas Murray and that's what counts.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:22 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Both were vast improvements on Douglas Murray and that's what counts.
In the defensive end? No, they weren't.

spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Fistfullofbeer
#FREEHEED #FREERYAN

vCash: 1100
Quote:
They were good at moving the puck but they were definitely exposed quite a bit on the defensive side. I want to see them play 5-6 games straight though. Especially with Demers as he has been on and off the bench all year.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:42 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

They need to be thrown out there, yes. But not with 2 minutes to go protecting a lead.

If DW is truthful when he said the playoffs are still the goal, then they need 1 more defensively focused d-man. If the re-build is on, then keep them out there, I would have no problem with growing pains.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
In the defensive end? No, they weren't.
How many shots against did Murray generally have at even strength in a game relative to what Braun and Demers did last night? They may not have the coverage that Murray did but they finish the defensive side of things much better by getting the puck out than Murray has done in quite some time. I don't care how good you are defensively if you can't get the puck out.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:11 AM
freddypuck

Quote:
Wake up......Demers and Braun where not awful I thought they played well , mistakes yes but awful cmon.....

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:25 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctord View Post
Wake up......Demers and Braun where not awful I thought they played well , mistakes yes but awful cmon.....
All the goals came off turnovers from their sticks or bad pinches.

http://dtmts.com/

Watch the highlights. First goal was a bad pinch by Braun, on the 2nd goal Demers was guarding air allowing a wide open slot and the last goal Demers turned it over deep in the Sharks zone leading to the goal.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:35 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

I want Braun and Demers to succeed, don't get me wrong. Would be awesome to develop two young guys that you can trust in all zones. If the re-build is on, give them 18 minutes a nite and ride the waves.

If there is a playoff push, the team would be better off in the short term getting another Brad Stuart-type for the last dozen games or so.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:

Watch the highlights. First goal was a bad pinch by Braun, on the 2nd goal Demers was guarding air allowing a wide open slot and the last goal Demers turned it over deep in the Sharks zone leading to the goal.

On the 2nd goal, I thought I recall it really started when Vlasic made a weak attempt to clear as he's prone to do... And Patty moved out of his position to cover Getzlaf and Juicy wasn't quick enough to cover Beauch.

I'm not as astute as the rest of you are in D coverage. Is Demers supposed to have covered the man in the high slot? I thought that was a forward's responsibility.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
sjshrky27

Quote:
I want Braun and Demers to succeed, don't get me wrong. Would be awesome to develop two young guys that you can trust in all zones. If the re-build is on, give them 18 minutes a nite and ride the waves.

If there is a playoff push, the team would be better off in the short term getting another Brad Stuart-type for the last dozen games or so.
Agree. This is also why Boyle will not be moved (unless DW gets an offer thats too good to be true) IMO. Braun and Demers need alot more games under there belts to be trusted out there.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:44 AM
OrrNumber4

People should also reconcile themselves to the fact that Demers and Braun are never going to be stalwarts defensively. They are going to make their money offensively, and by avoiding defensive issues with their puck control. By which, I mean spending more time in the offensive zone and using their puck-moving abilities to avoid getting hemmed in defensively.

Very similar to Dan Boyle, actually. Though Boyle's skating is clearly ahead of the pair's...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
TealTownUSA

demers and braun will be fine. they need to look at moving up the ice instead of the home run stretch pass first.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksage View Post
No SNOG, but who the **** cares?

GameSNOG winner
Jan. 20 at CALjakeytown
Jan. 22 at EDMjuantimer
Jan. 24 vs PHXSpinTheBlackCircle
Jan. 26 vs COLArcataShark, Kawaii, Shape
Jan. 27 vs VANdo0glas, DuckEatinShark
Jan. 29 vs ANAHOOCH2173, rangerssharks414
Jan. 31 vs EDMBeeRad
Feb. 2 vs NASVP and GM
Feb. 4 at ANAnone
Feb. 5 vs CHIDuckEatinShark
Feb. 9 vs PHOnone
Feb. 11 at CBJnone
Feb. 12 at NASHOOCH2173
Feb. 15 at CHIcouturefan39
Feb. 19 at STLilikebigjoe
Feb. 22 at CHInone
Feb. 23 at DALcouturefan39, Robes of Teal, SonomaShark
Feb. 26 vs COLglasgow26
Feb. 28 vs DETCan HaZ Trainz
Mar. 2 vs NASDanish Pastry, rangerssharks414
Mar. 5 at VANilikebigjoe, therabbit20, thrillermiller89
Mar. 6 at CALnone
Mar. 9 vs STLnone
Mar. 10 at COLnone
Mar. 12 at STLnone
Mar. 14 vs LARisky F
Mar. 16 at LAnone
Mar. 18 at ANACan HaZ Trainz
Mar. 20 at EDMthrillermiller89
Mar. 23 at MINnone
Mar. 25 at ANAnone

2013 Standings
---------------------
1) Can HaZ Trainz, couturefan39, DuckEatinShark, HOOCH2173, ilikebigjoe, rangerssharks414, thrillermiller89 (2)
T-8) ArcataShark, BeeRad, Danish Pastry, do0glas, glasgow26, jakeytown, juantimer, Kawaii, Risky F, Robes of Teal, Shape, SonomaShark, SpinTheBlackCircle, therabbit20, VP and GM (1)
damn I knew I should've said 5-3 Boyel with EN and disallowed Cooter goal!

What was I thinking?!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

Quote:

I'll give you a couple more highlights to watch: About 55 seconds in Vlasic gets caught up ice and Braun skates all the way back to force Perry into a bad angle shot on what looked to be a clear cut breakaway. Murray wouldn't have been able to do that if you gave him a five second head start. Then about 1:45 in Couture makes a brutal turnover which leads to a 2-on-1 down low. Demers hustles back and gets his stick in the way to break up what would have been a wide open shot on goal.

Braun definitely screwed up on that first goal by trying to bat the puck out of the air, but at least he's attempting to hold the blue line instead of just giving it up. When you play aggressively you're going to get beat from time to time, but I'd rather have that than this constant playing not to lose crap that clearly doesn't work. As for the second goal, are you really blaming Demers for not covering the other DEFENSEMAN who scored? Watch that play again, Patty was the one who left Beauchemin to go chase the puck, and Logan got caught puck watching as well so that's on them. The third goal was indeed a lazy, sloppy play by Demers, no other way to put it.

Bottom line this team is MUCH better with these two in the lineup. The Vlasic-Demers pairing was fantastic during the 2010 WCF run, so I disagree with you when you say he should only be playing 18-20 minutes a night if we're rebuilding. Braun has a lot more work to do IMO, but he's still a lot better than many of the bottom pairing defensemen out there.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

The last thing this team needs is more safe hockey players. Braun and Demers ignite offense and depth puck movement. They will make mistakes but so did Murray. I'm sure that both those two did or will have a better shot differential than Murray and that's more important than being conservative. Murray's brand of hockey is loser hockey plain and simple.