HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

Old
03-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Uh ... no.
Thanks for your wonderful insight.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:00 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Give him 2 years in St.John's. The Rock could use the help.
Extremely rare for a player of that calibre to spend that long in the AHL.

Mark Stuart left college a year early and took two seasons AHL/NHL bouncing.

Zach Redmond only took one and a half seasons of AHL time although he spent 4 years in the NCAA.

If he's leaving the NCAA it's because he's near NHL ready.

Last edited by garret9: 03-26-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: dumb typos
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Stej

All I ask is for no preconceived notions about where he should be. Let his play dictate where he goes.

For those of you panicking about rushing him, let me remind you that the backbone of our core (Kane and Bogosian) both made the jump right away and are progressing just fine. There's no one answer to how you bring along a prospect.

I'm also really nervous about exposing him to Red for too long. My preference is AHL or NHL, whatever the Jets think is best for him.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Bob E

I think he'll stay one more year, though he doesn't have a lot more to prove in college hockey. It would be solely taking a leadership position and role on.

If he comes a year from now, he'll be that much more physically mature and developed. Much more likely to step into a NHL spot.

But, hey, if he decides to turn pro now, giddy up.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:48 AM
BigZ65

Given the glut, I think it wouldn't be bad for him to stay at Michigan at least one more year, have the WJC experience (USA captain?) and all that jazz.

If he does go pro this season, can he play in the OHL next season?

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:59 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Given the glut, I think it wouldn't be bad for him to stay at Michigan at least one more year, have the WJC experience (USA captain?) and all that jazz.

If he does go pro this season, can he play in the OHL next season?
Why would you want him to?

If he leaves the NCAA due to no challenge and being pro-ready, he's not going to go to an easier league in the OHL...?

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:33 AM
HannuJ

realistically...
he makes his decision in a week. comes to Wpg. spends at least 1 week practicing with the team.
so we're 2 weeks away from him playing.
that leaves 8 games left in the regular season. assume he suits up for some, not all?

how does his contract year work if he plays in the playoffs?

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:48 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

It is mind-boggling to me how many of you seem to think a college kid is going to come to the Jets in the middle of a battle to make the playoffs, immediately perform at the highest professional level and actually make a positive difference to the outcome of the race. Seriously? And citing Bogosian as an example of a defenseman who was able to successfully make the jump might not be a great example, as you might have missed some torturous seasons where he made it look like neither he nor Ron Hainsey could play a lick of D, and the impatient among the fan-base started calling him a bust (much like Burmistrov). I think you're setting yourselves up for disappointment. Give Trouba at least a year.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:09 AM
fatschoonerrat

Is there any evidence of him actually wanting to leave? I read this whole thread, and it seems like the prevailing assumption is he'll leave.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
It is mind-boggling to me how many of you seem to think a college kid is going to come to the Jets in the middle of a battle to make the playoffs, immediately perform at the highest professional level and actually make a positive difference to the outcome of the race. Seriously? And citing Bogosian as an example of a defenseman who was able to successfully make the jump might not be a great example, as you might have missed some torturous seasons where he made it look like neither he nor Ron Hainsey could play a lick of D, and the impatient among the fan-base started calling him a bust (much like Burmistrov). I think you're setting yourselves up for disappointment. Give Trouba at least a year.
I agree with this mostly, it's an interesting thing to think about.

Look at Chris Kreider, after BC finished their season last year the Rangers board looked a lot like this one does now, some people being all in, "bring him here now, damn the expense!" and others were saying "there's no way he can step right into the NHL playoffs and contribute". Kreider did end up being at least a fairly significant contributor in that series, but now has been struggling to stay in the NHL this year.

Obviously this isn't a perfect comparison, although Kreider's good, I'd imagine most would agree Trouba's on a different level as a prospect, and the Jets organization has the added bonus of not burning any ELC/RFA years if they don't want to due to his age.

Personally though, I doubt they even want him for the NHL at this point, my money would be on them hoping to get him signed to play the rest of the season in the AHL. As others have said, the question becomes is he willing to leave college without some sort of 'NHL guarantee'.

Who knows, really it's all in Trouba's hands now.

--

To the above:

No, no evidence from him yet, although the fact that he hasn't immediately said that his plan is to stay makes it seem like he's at least considering an NHL offer.

But really, everything is speculation right now.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:17 AM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Thanks for your wonderful insight.
Your original post did not warrant a reply more than that , and your follow up emphasizes that.

Why not build up the Colorado Eagles? [mod]

Last edited by Jet: 03-26-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: not necessary
jetkarma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:20 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
The thing about Clitsome is that he operates at a pretty consistently high level with mind-numbingly terrible decisions thrown in.

I think he will eventually settle down and become a pretty decent 4th-5th defensemen. D take longer to mature and some really don't get it til their late 20's.

Saying Trouba will be better is more just being fascinated with someone who is shiny, new, and dominant at a much lower level.
You are joking right?
Nice assumption......

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Is there any evidence of him actually wanting to leave? I read this whole thread, and it seems like the prevailing assumption is he'll leave.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 18h

WPG prospect Jacob Trouba, the Univ of Michigan D whose NCAA season ended Sun, taking a couple of days to decide if he should turn pro now.

All the scouts are saying he is ready to turn pro... I say go for it!

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Guerzy
Things we now know

vCash: 69
I am actually really hoping Jacob decides to turn pro. Given all of the sources saying he's too good for the NCAA level has me wanting him in the hands of the Jets so we can acclimate him to the pro game, whether it be AHL or NHL.

I am by no means in favor of putting rush tags on kids, especially defenseman who by nature take a bit more time to develop, but the fact of the matter for me is, I would rather not see Jacob Trouba go back to Michigan for a fun and easy "victory lap".

Obviously there is the flip side, perhaps he wants to further his education a bit, and I can respect that. But based on a hockey decision, I think the best place for him (by all indications here) is directly in the Jets hands, and that would place him under their nose and guidance at the AHL or NHL level.

If you want a relatively close comparable here, look at Carolina's Justin Faulk, who many may not have heard too much of, but this kid is deemed their franchise defenseman. Drafted in 2010 2nd round, played his first year for Minnesota-Deluth in 2010-2011. And after just one season there he made the jump to Pro, because he was good enough and it would have been more of a "wasted year" if you will, had he of not went to the next level. Last season when Faulk made the transition to Pro, he played 12 games in the AHL then the rest in the NHL for Carolina. He looks to be a gem who last season and this season logs 23+ minutes a night.

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-26-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I am actually really hoping Jacob decides to turn pro. Given all of the sources saying he's too good for the NCAA level has me wanting him in the hands of the Jets so we can acclimate him to the pro game, whether it be AHL or NHL.

I am by no means in favor of putting rush tags on kids, especially defenseman who by nature take a bit more time to develop, but that fact of the matter for me is, I would rather not see Jacob Trouba go back to Michigan for a fun and easy "victory lap".

Obviously there is the flip side, perhaps he wants to further his education a bit, and I can respect that. But based on a hockey decision, I think the best place for him (by all indications here) is directly in the Jets hands, and that would place him under their nose and guidance at the AHL or NHL level.
I think turning pro is a good hockey decision for him as well. To me the ideal would be to go to the Jets camp next season and see if he ends up in the AHL or the NHL. If he's just dying to do it this season, I believe he (and the Jets) would be best served if he went straight to the Ice Caps.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:19 AM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

I am by no means in favor of putting rush tags on kids, especially defenseman who by nature take a bit more time to develop, but that fact of the matter for me is, I would rather not see Jacob Trouba go back to Michigan for a fun and easy "victory lap".

I concur with your post. IMO the Jets probably feel his development curve is best served moving on from Michigan now. For a variety of reasons , Red Berenson has his detractors , and tuteladge under Huddy would be a plus , and at some point , whether it be right away next season or sometime thereafter , he should be contributing for the Jets.

jetkarma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Tdoe42

I dont think this is even close to being rushed.

He wont have to be the "Guy" on our back end he can just come in get some minutes and get his feet wet. If he even got to watch some playoff games from the press box here it would help his development and maybe even get in a few like Seguin did on Bostons cup run

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:33 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
I dont think this is even close to being rushed.

He wont have to be the "Guy" on our back end he can just come in get some minutes and get his feet wet. If he even got to watch some playoff games from the press box here it would help his development and maybe even get in a few like Seguin did on Bostons cup run
good point. He wouldn't be under big pressure as Noel could give him sheltered minutes and he could do it step by step.

I'd really like to get a good look on Kulda pretty soon to see if he can handle more than 3rd pairing. Let's say he's a 2nd to 3rd pair hybrid, I'd love to go into playoffs with:

Option 1:

Enström - Buff
Hainsey - Bogo
Kulda - Trouba
+ Stuart/Clitsome/Postma

Option 2:

Enström - Buff
Hainsey - Bogo
Stuart - Trouba
+ Kulda/Clitsome/Postma

Option 3:

Enström - Buff
Hainsey - Bogo
Clitsome - Trouba
+ Stuart/Kulda/Postma

In a perfect world scenario, we trade Postma at the deadline for a 2nd line RW. We don't need to sell Hainsey for a late 1st. I'm all aboard the "the team needs a nice playoff run more than a late 1st/early 2nd"-camp.

We go into playoffs with

Ladd Little Wheeler
Kane Jokinen 2ndlineRW
Wright Antropov Wellwood
Burmistrov Slater Miettinen

+ Tangradi/Peluso/Thorburn

Enström - Buff
Hainsey - Bogosian
Kulda - Trouba

+ Stuart/Clitsome/Postma

Ladys and gentleman... that's depth.

Last edited by GJF: 03-26-2013 at 08:42 AM.
GJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Huffer

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
All I ask is for no preconceived notions about where he should be. Let his play dictate where he goes.

For those of you panicking about rushing him, let me remind you that the backbone of our core (Kane and Bogosian) both made the jump right away and are progressing just fine. There's no one answer to how you bring along a prospect.

I'm also really nervous about exposing him to Red for too long. My preference is AHL or NHL, whatever the Jets think is best for him.
My thoughts as well. If Trouba decides to join the team this year, or even next year, I hope people have realistic expectations.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
SCP Guy

I know our scouts and management are all over this but I would like to see him at the U of M for atleast 1 more year...Let him get bigger stronger faster....

My gut tells me there is no real smoke to this story so no fire

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Stej

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
I assume you are referring to me with the Bogosian comment since I think I'm the only one that brought him up. You need to re-read what I said. I didn't make any comment on how much he contributed early on, I merely said that it doesn't appear to have hurt his development. And since we're talking about what's best for Jacob Trouba (not the Jets playoff run), I thought it was appropriate.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Your original post did not warrant a reply more than that , and your follow up emphasizes that.

Why not build up the Colorado Eagles? [mod]
[mod]

So, the Ice Caps are like the Eagles. Sure, that's exactly what I said. Welcome to an exclusive club.

My suggestion of Trouba spending time in the IceCaps, was not for the benefit of the IceCaps. That part was mostly facetious...though they are doing terrible.

Last edited by Jet: 03-26-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: cut it out.
Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Don't the Kitchener Rangers hold his rights in the CHL? What if he comes out, plays his 5 games here, goes to the AHL, starts the year off here next year, then goes to the Rangers for the rest of the year?

I think they are in the running to host the Memorial cup as well. Could that be part of the whole process?

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Don't the Kitchener Rangers hold his rights in the CHL? What if he comes out, plays his 5 games here, goes to the AHL, starts the year off here next year, then goes to the Rangers for the rest of the year?

I think they are in the running to host the Memorial cup as well. Could that be part of the whole process?
I'm pretty sure dipsy-doodling him around like a rubberball won't be what he and the Jets have in mind for him.

GJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Guerzy
Things we now know

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post

I think they could do that. I don't even see that as an option though. It was against his wishes and wants to play OHL hockey, he opted for NCAA. I would think if he's leaving NCAA to turn Pro, it's to turn Pro (AHL/NHL), not go to the OHL.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote