HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 06:49 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
If Chi wants Gagner they'd have to overpay.

Gagner for Leddy and McNeil

Old
03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Depending on what McNeil can bring to the next level, I might do this.

I wonder if the Oilers could include a Plante for Beach throw-in on that as well?

Old
03-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bolland + Olsen for Gagner?
Bolland, Leddy and Beach for Gagner, Whitney and Plante?

Old
03-26-2013, 08:08 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
They have no reason to trade him and Hanzal fits this team to a tee while being on a good contract. Ask Yote's fans if he is a 3rd line C. Most will say he is their 1st line C
I would say that Gagner is our 1C, and Klefbom one of our top prospects on D.

I know Hanzal is a big boy but that in itself isn't worth throwing sacks of gold at the man. Maybe I am off here but I wouldn't trade Gagner for Hanzal straight up...

Old
03-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
They have no reason to trade him and Hanzal fits this team to a tee while being on a good contract. Ask Yote's fans if he is a 3rd line C. Most will say he is their 1st line C
The reasion they say that though is because their team's goal is to win every game 1-0. I love Hanzal's game, and agree that he has tremendous value, but what he really is is an elite #3C.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Gagner was available. Pending RFA expecting a big salary bump....plus Tambo is not exactly fond of genuine NHL players. Offer a 1st rounder and Tambo will be all over it.
yeah loves him some 1st rounders.... who needs NHLers when you have magic beans!! right tambo?

Old
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Have you been following him this year?
Have you been following him his career?

There is a reason WSH only gave him 1 or 2 year deals at a time.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Beerfish

The Sam Gagner situation is interesting as it really indicates whether the oilers have a true plan of how they want the team to look in a few years. I don't think RNH is going anywhere and will be the #1 guy. If indeed they feel we must have a top two line center with size they should be doing everything in their power to trade Gagner while he is playing his best hockey. If size at center on the top two lines is not a necessity for them they need to sign him longer term.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Friggen Belanger and his groin. Great timing. It's going to take a case of dynamite to get him off this team.

I was so hoping we could move him.

You know your GM is doing a lousy job when you can spot 4 guys on your team that you would amnesty buy out if you could.
It's too bad there wasn't a way to get a 4th line center for cheap, just to have backup

Old
03-26-2013, 08:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

I worry that Leddy is the next Barker.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Stop with the ambitious trade proposals people... On deadline day we will be sitting here disappointed that the Oilers made no moves with their club.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:04 AM
joestevens29

Semin, what really gets me is what was he asking for in the first place? Everyone knows he has talent, but ask yourself why WSH let him go without a fight at all. The guy disappears for long stretches of time. I really question Rutherford, first overpaying Kaberle, then paying top dollar for a guy you knew damn well wanted to play with his brother anyway, and now this.

CBJ, from a draft pick point of view man how things have changed. At one time there was talk of them getting 3 top 10 picks. Things keep continuing the way they are going and they won't get one in the top 15.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Stop with the ambitious trade proposals people... On deadline day we will be sitting here disappointed that the Oilers made no moves with their club.
I think, "optimism" aside, that there will be bodies moved out, just who and for what is the question.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I think, "optimism" aside, that there will be bodies moved out, just who and for what is the question.
Whitney and Khabbi will be gone for sure. Maybe Hemsky, if the return is right (but no rush with him). Other than that, I'm not expecting any major moves. Certainly not Gagner or Smid.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Whitney and Khabbi will be gone for sure. Maybe Hemsky, if the return is right (but no rush with him). Other than that, I'm not expecting any major moves. Certainly not Gagner or Smid.
Whitney yes, Khabby no in my opinion. Other than Whitney we will make a minor deal for some AHL vet scorer to help Oklahoma.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Mr Sakich

If we need size at 2nd line centre, then maybe we trade Hemsky and move Sam to the wing.

I would like to keep Sam unless his asking price goes beyond 4 mill. Tambo is in a bit of a spot. Sam and Smid will be looking for contracts. These are guys we would like to keep but the price has to be ok. Which is worse:

1) overpay and get into cap trouble
2) trade them and set the rebuild back a year? This path makes us the Western version of the Islanders.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
No no, I'm not expecting that either, but the WORST case scenaro is the Oilers stand pat and do nothing, like no movement/contracts on any of the UFAs, that would make pull my hair out.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
I'd like to suggest the next thread be titled: (to quote Slapshot)... TRADE ME RIGHT ******* NOW!!!

Old
03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Semin, what really gets me is what was he asking for in the first place? Everyone knows he has talent, but ask yourself why WSH let him go without a fight at all. The guy disappears for long stretches of time. I really question Rutherford, first overpaying Kaberle, then paying top dollar for a guy you knew damn well wanted to play with his brother anyway, and now this.

CBJ, from a draft pick point of view man how things have changed. At one time there was talk of them getting 3 top 10 picks. Things keep continuing the way they are going and they won't get one in the top 15.
I don't think you watch Semin play. Ask any Hurricanes fan if they think this is a worthy extension. Chances are a large portion of the majority will agree with it whole-heartedly.

The closest Canes fans know that they overpaid badly for the Staal brothers. But that team is great at reclamation projects. Look what they did with Pitkanen, Whitney, Ruutu, etc. They turn these after-thoughts into consistent, valuable contributors.

Semin was never an after-thought - just a gamble. And they took it and won. Don't try to criticize a move that has worked 100% in their favour.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:39 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
If we need size at 2nd line centre, then maybe we trade Hemsky and move Sam to the wing.

I would like to keep Sam unless his asking price goes beyond 4 mill. Tambo is in a bit of a spot. Sam and Smid will be looking for contracts. These are guys we would like to keep but the price has to be ok. Which is worse:

1) overpay and get into cap trouble
2) trade them and set the rebuild back a year? This path makes us the Western version of the Islanders.
Sam will be asking for more than $4M now. If we deal Sam, it will be for more magic beans, and it has the potential to set the franchise back a lot more than a year, unless we get MacKinnon.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Whitney yes, Khabby no in my opinion. Other than Whitney we will make a minor deal for some AHL vet scorer to help Oklahoma.
Just curious, why don't you think Khabby will be moved? I know the dropoff is pretty steep from him to Danis but I can't see them resigning him, so I think you move him for a pick if you can. (Course, I thought that last trade deadline too).

Old
03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I have a feeling Sam will sign a 2-year deal for a reasonable cap hit (~4M) as long as the Oilers play hardball and don't vomit up some 5 year, $25M offer.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:43 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
I don't think you watch Semin play. Ask any Hurricanes fan if they think this is a worthy extension. Chances are a large portion of the majority will agree with it whole-heartedly.

The closest Canes fans know that they overpaid badly for the Staal brothers. But that team is great at reclamation projects. Look what they did with Pitkanen, Whitney, Ruutu, etc. They turn these after-thoughts into consistent, valuable contributors.

Semin was never an after-thought - just a gamble. And they took it and won. Don't try to criticize a move that has worked 100% in their favour.
This is season 1. Ask Canes fans what they think of the contract after season 3. Ask Washington fans what they think of Semin. Rose colored glasses are being worn by too many people, and memory's seem to be very short. Also, $7M in the new CBA is a lot more than the old CBA.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

You don't make long-term decisions based on a short term result, especially when over the long run Semin hasn't been a 7mil player. There is a reason WSH wouldn't offer him a contract and they had the cap space to do so.

And what did they do for Pitkanen and Whitney? Whitney wasn't exactly done when he went to Carolina, and Pitkanen wasn't exactly horrible either.

With the cap going down this was a major risk. They paid Semin what he probably wouldn't have even gotten come July 1st.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Whoever suggested doing an offer sheet for one of Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk has my vote.

Closed Thread