HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 09:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Just curious, why don't you think Khabby will be moved? I know the dropoff is pretty steep from him to Danis but I can't see them resigning him, so I think you move him for a pick if you can. (Course, I thought that last trade deadline too).
Strudwick talked a few times now about how great Bulin was with young kids when he played with him, so I could see that being a part of it. With that being said you get offered a 2nd for him you probably have to take it and run.

If you are worried about a backup I'm pretty sure whatever team you are dealing with will be waiving their goalie anyway.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't think you watch Semin play. Ask any Hurricanes fan if they think this is a worthy extension. Chances are a large portion of the majority will agree with it whole-heartedly.

The closest Canes fans know that they overpaid badly for the Staal brothers. But that team is great at reclamation projects. Look what they did with Pitkanen, Whitney, Ruutu, etc. They turn these after-thoughts into consistent, valuable contributors.
Semin was never an after-thought - just a gamble. And they took it and won. Don't try to criticize a move that has worked 100% in their favour.
Not going to get into the trade but where do you get this stuff?? Pitkanen was always a good D. The only glitch in his career was when he was with the Oilers. Whitney was a good player long before he came to the Hurricanes.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Just curious, why don't you think Khabby will be moved? I know the dropoff is pretty steep from him to Danis but I can't see them resigning him, so I think you move him for a pick if you can. (Course, I thought that last trade deadline too).
He won't fetch a high enough pick to make it worthwhile. The Oilers like Khabby. I would not at all be surprised if they DO resign him on a one year deal or so at a cheaper rate. We have no one at all behind DD. Roy and Bunz don't appear to be remotely close to being ready for anything and Denis is strictly minor league.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:50 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
This is season 1. Ask Canes fans what they think of the contract after season 3. Ask Washington fans what they think of Semin. Rose colored glasses are being worn by too many people, and memory's seem to be very short. Also, $7M in the new CBA is a lot more than the old CBA.
They loved him. A lot of angry fans when there was no move made to try and get him under contract. Go on their board.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1037803

Post #605 onwards

Old
03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He won't fetch a high enough pick to make it worthwhile. The Oilers like Khabby. I would not at all be surprised if they DO resign him on a one year deal or so at a cheaper rate. We have no one at all behind DD. Roy and Bunz don't appear to be remotely close to being ready for anything and Denis is strictly minor league.
I hate to be that guy, but if things don't change tonight it won't matter. Come April 3rd we'll be out of the playoff picture and it won't matter who is backup.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I hate to be that guy, but if things don't change tonight it won't matter. Come April 3rd we'll be out of the playoff picture and it won't matter who is backup.
You shouldn't hate to be that guy. We won't be in the playoff picture, so we should move Khabby for a pick and then worry about finding a backup in the off-season. Danis can fill in for a dozen games.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Agreed. At a cap hit like 1-1.5 he's a fine backup, especially considering the team likes him.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Harley

Quote:
I tend to agree. Hope they have asked Khabby about next year. If he wants to come back at a reasonable price, $1.5/$1.75million next year on one year deals Id probably do it. As much as the guy gets injured etc he still looks better in net than Dubnyk does. lol

If he isn't returning you move him if you can get anything at all for him. This year is done anyway.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Agreed. At a cap hit like 1-1.5 he's a fine backup, especially considering the team likes him.
lol Im way more generous than you.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
They loved him. A lot of angry fans when there was no move made to try and get him under contract. Go on their board.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1037803

Post #605 onwards
Did you even read the first page of the thread, or numerous other posts? I'm sorry, but you are entering trolling territory saying they loved him.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Fourier

Quote:
I don't think you watch Semin play. Ask any Hurricanes fan if they think this is a worthy extension. Chances are a large portion of the majority will agree with it whole-heartedly.

The closest Canes fans know that they overpaid badly for the Staal brothers. But that team is great at reclamation projects. Look what they did with Pitkanen, Whitney, Ruutu, etc. They turn these after-thoughts into consistent, valuable contributors.

Semin was never an after-thought - just a gamble. And they took it and won. Don't try to criticize a move that has worked 100% in their favour.
No one is suggesting that Semin would not deserve the contract he is getting based on his play this year or even on his talent. The issue for Semin, and the reason why people question this deal is that he has gone AWOL before, and has often been viewed as a very selfish player.

I also fail to see how Whitney, Pitkanen or Ruutu were reclamation projects.

Pitkanen was the Oilers best defenseman when he was traded for Cole. He also had had 3 40 + point seasons already before coming to Edmonton. The problem with him was that he was a pending UFA that had little desire to play in an intense hockey market.

Ray Whitney was an established scorer who had 29 goals and 71 points with Columbus before signing on with Detroit. He did not really fit in on a team that had Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberh, Shanahan and Hull up front. Other than that one year he has been pretty consistent since he left the Oilers.

Ruutu was a guy who was expected to be a major star. But that never materialized. The Hawks dealt him for Andrew Ladd. No question that Ladd has since become the better player. Ruutu has had a solid career in Carolina but it is not like he was really that much better than the player they got from Chicago. Certainly not what was originally expected of him when he was drafted.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Dear god. Khabi is done.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
No one is suggesting that Semin would not deserve the contract he is getting based on his play this year or even on his talent. The issue for Semin, and the reason why people question this deal is that he has gone AWOL before, and has often been viewed as a very selfish player.

I also fail to see how Whitney, Pitkanen or Ruutu were reclamation projects.

Pitkanen was the Oilers best defenseman when he was traded for Cole. He also had had 3 40 + point seasons already before coming to Edmonton. The problem with him was that he was a pending UFA that had little desire to play in an intense hockey market.

Ray Whitney was an established scorer who had 29 goals and 71 points with Columbus before signing on with Detroit. He did not really fit in on a team that had Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberh, Shanahan and Hull up front. Other than that one year he has been pretty consistent since he left the Oilers.

Ruutu was a guy who was expected to be a major star. But that never materialized. The Hawks dealt him for Andrew Ladd. No question that Ladd has since become the better player. Ruutu has had a solid career in Carolina but it is not like he was really that much better than the player they got from Chicago. Certainly not what was originally expected of him when he was drafted.
Shhhh, you and your logic is very damaging to the narrative he's crafting.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
27theROCK

How do we feel about a Eberle for Myers and Foligno type of deal?

Our D is brutal and Myers has alot of upside... and risk.
Foligno would be solid top 6 with size and toughness for us.

Also another kid we should push hard for is Kyle Beach. He is a bit of a wild card but he definetly would give us size, toughness and a bit of intimidation that we lack.
Maybe Ryan Jones for Beack?

I really still will beat the drum that we should have claimed Patrick Maroon from the Ducks and still think we should deal for him.

A 4th line of Maroon - Lander - Beach could be very interesting.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
New thread is up.