HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2013, 07:24 AM
  #326
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
How about Atlanta?
Hockey isn't having a difficult time there. They don't HAVE hockey in Atlanta.

That said... Many of the teams that are having issues not only are in saturated markets, but they're also in southern, or otherwise areas without a strong hockey history/tradition/background. I'm not trying to stir up **** about hockey in the south, etc., I'm just pointing out things that are fairly easy to see.

Retail1LO is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 07:28 AM
  #327
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, at least she's still "out there" and engaged. Interested. Easier to have just faded away I suppose...
She's certainly "out there" and engaged encouraging city council to fire people, while preserving $17 million in some arena management slush fund, just in case another carpetbagger Coyotes owner comes along looking for hand-outs. Meanwhile, as city employees who have been laid off are scrambling to find work and make ends meet, she is parlaying her increasing fame with a group of Coyotes fans to get freebees to attend the Coyotes games because her "husband doesn't like hockey". Thanks for coming out, Joyce.

Whileee is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
  #328
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, at least she's still "out there" and engaged. Interested. Easier to have just faded away I suppose...
Just someone looking for relevance when they no longer have any.

It's a big adjustment ( re: kick in the ego ) to go from the spotlight to just being another person on the outside looking in.

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
  #329
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Just someone looking for relevance when they no longer have any.

It's a big adjustment ( re: kick in the ego ) to go from the spotlight to just being another person on the outside looking in.
but she will always have shane ...

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
  #330
mesamonster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
The future scenarios will need to be fleshed out shortly! Last nights loss compounds the internal issues yet again. Would the NHL risk another season in the desert if management has flown the coup? Fans have been treated to good hockey in the three years of NHL ownership, yet the actors are being told (in Bettman speak) that they are merely pawns in his ultimate deception. Somehow it seems implausible that the BOG would allow GB to keep the team in a known losing market w/o any ability to compete or draw! I was of the opinion that they would stay another year, but the loss picture in such a year is looking seriously ominous. That said, what about a move to KC w/ NHL ownership and a new search in that market for owners? I am not saying it is a good market but a year in new surroundings may capture some interest amongst the KC hockey faithful and give the mafia man another year to get QC ready!

mesamonster is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 09:27 AM
  #331
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
No. I never did think the Yotes staying in Glendale is a slam dunk.

Until realignment I would have thought QC the most likely option.

In view of realignment, I now think status quo the least unlikely option in a sea of unlikely options.

Think of how foolish and disruptive to move two franchises East only to move one of them West again so soon? We've been over this ad nauseum. No need again.

Hard too think of any plan that looks well developed and thought out, staying or going.
Sorry, I was talking to KevyD, which is why I quoted him

Puckschmuck* is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
  #332
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
No. I never did think the Yotes staying in Glendale is a slam dunk.

Until realignment I would have thought QC the most likely option.

In view of realignment, I now think status quo the least unlikely option in a sea of unlikely options.

Think of how foolish and disruptive to move two franchises East only to move one of them West again so soon? We've been over this ad nauseum. No need again.

Hard too think of any plan that looks well developed and thought out, staying or going.
I think that the likelihood of the Coyotes staying is all about the options and contingency plans. The NHL is in the driver's seat. If they want to keep the team in Glendale (at least for the next few years), they could certainly broker some arrangement with Glendale and potential owners.

Whileee is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
  #333
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eiffel Tower
Posts: 21,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
That said, what about a move to KC w/ NHL ownership and a new search in that market for owners?
Or the Dysart Community Arena? Apparently underwent extensive reno's recently. Got rid of the fog problem. Kinda spooky not being able to see anyone on the ice from your crease. Great for the reflexes though. Shot straight at the head outta nowhere. Never did get a chance to thank you properly for that mesa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Sorry, I was talking to KevyD, which is why I quoted him
Open season when you or anyone else post's Puckschmuck.

Killion is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
  #334
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eiffel Tower
Posts: 21,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I think that the likelihood of the Coyotes staying is all about the options and contingency plans. The NHL is in the driver's seat. If they want to keep the team in Glendale (at least for the next few years), they could certainly broker some arrangement with Glendale and potential owners.
I believe so Whileee. We really dont know how amenable (or not) Weiers & this new Council might be to providing some sort of, shall we say.. conservative (?) Arena Management Fee in order to buy even one more season to see what if anything at all can be worked out with a new set of eyeball's looking over matters. Options seem to be available, the NHL running this thing on a LOC, and even with additional losses over the 13/14 season, they'll absolutely be able to receive full recompense through Relocation, be it Spring 2014 or even 15 when both QC & Seattle will be coming on-line. We here & elsewhere, critics & supporters alike could well be overestimating & assuming much that the NHL's as concerned about it we or as one might think they would or should be. The lack of urgency from all quarters amongst other factors suggests their not. Park it, let it absolutely play out to the nth degree. Modus operandi reactive as opposed to being pro-active with just about everything in their world and has been for decades. Why do anything half assed when whole assed can be so much more satisfying?

Killion is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
  #335
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
She's certainly "out there" and engaged encouraging city council to fire people, while preserving $17 million in some arena management slush fund, just in case another carpetbagger Coyotes owner comes along looking for hand-outs. Meanwhile, as city employees who have been laid off are scrambling to find work and make ends meet, she is parlaying her increasing fame with a group of Coyotes fans to get freebees to attend the Coyotes games because her "husband doesn't like hockey". Thanks for coming out, Joyce.
I'm just curious Whileee as to why posters here (such as yourself) keep bringing the woman up here (and stretching her blog comments) if she's so irrelevant??

Kinda like IEH.... you recently complained about them being irrelevant but yet..... they manage to find themselves being talked about too.



Last edited by TheLegend: 03-26-2013 at 11:36 AM.
TheLegend is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:35 AM
  #336
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I believe so Whileee. We really dont know how amenable (or not) Weiers & this new Council might be to providing some sort of, shall we say.. conservative (?) Arena Management Fee in order to buy even one more season to see what if anything at all can be worked out with a new set of eyeball's looking over matters. Options seem to be available, the NHL running this thing on a LOC, and even with additional losses over the 13/14 season, they'll absolutely be able to receive full recompense through Relocation, be it Spring 2014 or even 15 when both QC & Seattle will be coming on-line. We here & elsewhere, critics & supporters alike could well be overestimating & assuming much that the NHL's as concerned about it we or as one might think they would or should be. The lack of urgency from all quarters amongst other factors suggests their not. Park it, let it absolutely play out to the nth degree. Modus operandi reactive as opposed to being pro-active with just about everything in their world and has been for decades. Why do anything half assed when whole assed can be so much more satisfying?
Understatement of the decade, Killy.


TheLegend is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
  #337
Mork
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Hard to imagine that anyone could possibly screw up an ownership situation more completely than the NHL has with the Phoenix franchise from the word go. I rather miss our long-banished friend GSC just to see how he would defend the indefensible about now. There really is no accounting for how badly the NHL has managed this.

Mork is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
  #338
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I'm just curious Whileee as to why posters here (such as yourself) keep bringing the woman up here (and stretching her blog comments) if she's so irrelevant??

Kinda like IEH.... you recently complained about them being irrelevant but yet..... they manage to find themselves being talked about too.

they are the jokers in the deck. they are irrelevant to the outcome of the situation, but they are most certainly relevant to the entertaining subplot. and she keeps opening her mouth, so why should people not comment on that?

what is your point? that people aren't allowed to say, "hey, look what the clowns are up to now"?

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
  #339
Mork
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I'm just curious Whileee as to why posters here (such as yourself) keep bringing the woman up here (and stretching her blog comments) if she's so irrelevant??

Kinda like IEH.... you recently complained about them being irrelevant but yet..... they manage to find themselves being talked about too.

I think a lot of us are just rubberneckers, TL, watching a train wreck unfold before us with varying degrees of shock and disbelief mixed with occasional hope that disaster will be averted. None of it is relevant to anything remotely important in any of our lives, except for the almost macabre entertainment value. The characters you mention just happen to be a few of the more interesting ones. It's like pointing at the lady hanging out the window while the train is driving off the bridge; or better yet, laughing at the goofs running to climb on board the caboose while the locomotive is mid-air having already left the rails. Will the clowns make it, or later on be grateful they were never able to get on board.

In other words, I guess we don't have too much else to do!

Mork is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
  #340
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I'm just curious Whileee as to why posters here (such as yourself) keep bringing the woman up here (and stretching her blog comments) if she's so irrelevant??

Kinda like IEH.... you recently complained about them being irrelevant but yet..... they manage to find themselves being talked about too.

TL, I think you are forgetting my previous response regarding IEH. I said that they were irrelevant to a local sale of the Coyotes. They are not irrelevant to a relatively innocuous internet discussion board that serves mostly for the entertainment of participants. They are actually part of the entertainment. I will be particularly entertained when they re-emerge with their latest "Plan B" to manage the Jobing.com without the Coyotes, thereby showing their true colours once and for all. I don't have a list like KevyD, but if I did, that prediction would be on it.

I think my previous allusion to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern was apt. The plot could go on without them, but they illustrate some important themes in the drama, while offering comic relief to those of us who like that sort of thing.

As for Clark, I happen to think that she was a consequential character in this whole drama, and that her approach has been irresponsible. Her internet musings now more fully reveal her perspectives and approaches as a council member. She is now gung-ho for firing city employees to preserve budget for an arena management fee, even though there is no potential deal on the table just now. She has stayed "engaged" in this discussion by her own volition.

Please indicate which of her blog comments you think I have "stretched".


Last edited by Whileee: 03-26-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Whileee is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
  #341
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
but she will always have shane ...
Only in her questionable reality... I hope Shane doesn't read her twitter. Kind of embarrassing to have some 80 year old fawning all over you.

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv 21 Mar

Doan vs. Kings was inspiring and thuggish with just a touch of payback. He's a man among Coyotes men.

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv 20 Mar

Shane Doan is a man of integrity, compassion and honor. Oh, and did I mention he's a superior athlete?


Last edited by cbcwpg: 03-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.
cbcwpg is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
  #342
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eiffel Tower
Posts: 21,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
There really is no accounting for how badly the NHL has managed this.
... depending on ones perspective. Thats what makes this particular story & case so fascinating. Despite themselves, despite the total lack in pro-actively rolling up the sleeves & making something of it, of the building itself over the past 4yrs, facilitating a local sale through creative financing & active engagement, they've basically done Jack. Parked it. Curbed the franchise. Arrogantly extorting large sums of money themselves while aiding & abetting others in attempting same, absolutely gunning a municipality of less than 300,000 souls already on the hook to the tune of over a half a billion dollars in the middle of the desert. Never explaining much less providing much of an accounting for where the $25M even went, another $20M still sitting casually in escrow, as in ho-hum, we'll get around to withdrawing that when we feel like it... Just mindblowing. And yet here we are, and Bettman, he's got options galore, carte blanche, no way no how if even parked for like another 3yrs does he lose. As in hello Markham or Hamilton at $400M+++?. Incredible.


Last edited by Killion: 03-26-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Killion is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
  #343
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 350
Having been on both sides of a relocation ( 1st the giving and then the receiving ) all I can say is that when things go this silent.... it is usually not a very good sign for those on the giving side of the equation.

I know rhetoric is rhetoric, but couldn't the NHL say something, anything..... we aren't even getting a " we will know in two weeks " statement, from anyone.


Last edited by cbcwpg: 03-26-2013 at 01:53 PM.
cbcwpg is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
  #344
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine
 
OthmarAmmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
I think a lot of us are just rubberneckers, TL, watching a train wreck unfold before us with varying degrees of shock and disbelief
:wavehello:

OthmarAmmann is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
  #345
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan
 
QcBlizzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saguenay, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Having been on both sides of a relocation ( 1st the giving and then the receiving ) all I can say is that when things go this silent.... it is usually not a very good sign for those on the giving side of the equation.

I know rhetoric is rhetoric, but couldn't the NHL say something, anything..... we aren't even getting a " we will know in two weeks " statement, from anyone.
I asked Gary Bettman and here's the answer:

There is no relocation scheduled.
We don't like to move franchises.
We are currently working with potential buyers of the Coyotes and we are optimistic this will have a happy end.
The Coyotes sale is a work in progress.
Hockey is a great sport played by 6 men on the ice.

There is no relocation scheduled.
We don't like to move franchises....

And on and on and on...

QcBlizzard is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:15 PM
  #346
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Open season when you or anyone else post's Puckschmuck.
This cutsie type of joke is lost on me Killion. I don't buy into your kind of sense of humor

GO SEATTLE

Puckschmuck* is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
  #347
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eiffel Tower
Posts: 21,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
This cutsie type of joke is lost on me Killion. I don't buy into your kind of sense of humor

GO SEATTLE
I didnt know I was trying to sell anything... and Seattle, where does that sit right now with Stern & the NBA pursuant to the Kings? Still awaiting NBA league approval. Even if they get it, and Sacramento's putting up a bit of a tussle, how on earth do they pull off a Relo to Key from a stand-still between say end of May or June to October? Its not like TNSE with an AHL infrastructure in place, rabid & established hockey market, ticket buyers & sponsors waiting in the wings. Now sure, I'd love to see a team in Seattle & Portland for that matter, but not like this, last minute, rushed & hurried.


Last edited by Killion: 03-26-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Killion is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
  #348
mesamonster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Or the Dysart Community Arena? Apparently underwent extensive reno's recently. Got rid of the fog problem. Kinda spooky not being able to see anyone on the ice from your crease. Great for the reflexes though. Shot straight at the head outta nowhere. Never did get a chance to thank you properly for that mesa...



Open season when you or anyone else post's Puckschmuck.
You sound as though you have come from the Gumper school of goaltending prowess! The Gumper, after a hard night of drinking and falling asleep in an unknown bloomington Minnesota parking lot would shake off the hangover and play the following evening! No mask, teeth or brain, the poor Gumpster would stick his noggin in the way of any piece of rubber, even the Golden jet knew where to hit him!

mesamonster is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:24 PM
  #349
mesamonster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Hard to imagine that anyone could possibly screw up an ownership situation more completely than the NHL has with the Phoenix franchise from the word go. I rather miss our long-banished friend GSC just to see how he would defend the indefensible about now. There really is no accounting for how badly the NHL has managed this.
But you missed the most delusional poster of all time, good ol Krux or is he still haunting Shoaltsie on the G&M threads?

mesamonster is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  #350
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eiffel Tower
Posts: 21,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
You sound as though you have come from the Gumper school of goaltending prowess! The Gumper, after a hard night of drinking and falling asleep in an unknown bloomington Minnesota parking lot would shake off the hangover and play the following evening!...
Nope. I was more in the mold of
Bernie Parent meets Billy Smith...



RIP Gumpster... May 14, 1929 - January 27, 2007

Killion is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.