HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

Old
03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
He holds all the cards here. He goes pro with a contract that he's happy with, or he stays in school.

IMO "goes pro" doesn't include anything but an NHL spot.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:54 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
I know our scouts and management are all over this but I would like to see him at the U of M for atleast 1 more year...Let him get bigger stronger faster....

My gut tells me there is no real smoke to this story so no fire
There is a lot of smoke and real fire.

The Jets have seriously made this an issue , they have used their scouting resources to address this specific scenario and to do that now.

That doesn't mean anything is set in stone , but this is not idle chatter , the Jets aren't "casually" considering signing him .

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think they could do that. I don't even see that as an option though. It was against his wishes and wants to play OHL hockey, he opted for NCAA. I would think if he's leaving NCAA to turn Pro, it's to turn Pro (AHL/NHL), not go to the OHL.
Because of his age, can he not just stay in St Johns.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
jetkarma

Let's look t it this way.

Does anyone think Jacob Trouba is less a prospect or significantly less of one than say Dougie Hamilton?

I sure don't and don't think the vast majority of NHL scouts would as well. Saying that , then why would signing Trouba be seen as any reach at this point?

The Jets are all about development of their prospects for the best long term future , for them and for the franchise. Does anyone believe the Jets feel that is best accomplished with another full year at Michigan? I don't.

Remember Noel came way from watching him earlier this year and thought he was not "challenged" at that level. You think that doesn't tell us something? I do.

Fit for player , fit for team . I will be surprised if he doesn't sign before next season personally.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Yes. Because he didn't play in the CHL, he played NCAA, he can play in the AHL at and earlier stage.

If he signs, he'll most definitely be in the AHL/NHL.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:03 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Yes he could.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

If Trouba does indeed leave Michigan, my preference would be for him to start in St. John's. Just give him a feel for the pro game, and if it's clear he's adjusting to pro competition just fine, then call him up to bigs.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:05 PM
cbcwpg

Interesting for Trouba and the Jets with options.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...199987591.html

Were Trouba to come to the decision to turn pro, he would contact the Jets to state his intentions.

The Jets would then have to sign him to a contract. If the two parties were unable to come to an agreement, Trouba would have the option of returning to college. Technically, a college player cannot hire an agent and negotiate with a pro team or his eligibility will be forfeited. Discussions have to be handled carefully and follow protocol to protect the player. If Winnipeg was able to reach a deal with Trouba, they could then send him to their AHL affiliate or put him on their NHL roster.

Sending Trouba to the St. John's IceCaps would require the player to sign an amateur tryout contract in conjunction with his entry-level contract. An ATO will ruin his college eligibility and it's likely Trouba and his agent will want a maximum entry-level deal.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post

Does anyone think Jacob Trouba is less a prospect or significantly less of one than say Dougie Hamilton?

I sure don't and don't think the vast majority of NHL scouts would as well. Saying that , then why would signing Trouba be seen as any reach at this point?

The Jets are all about development of their prospects for the best long term future , for them and for the franchise. Does anyone believe the Jets feel that is best accomplished with another full year at Michigan? I don't.

Remember Noel came way from watching him earlier this year and thought he was not "challenged" at that level. You think that doesn't tell us something? I do.

Fit for player , fit for team . I will be surprised if he doesn't sign before next season personally.
I think because the teams philosophy is not to rush players ala the Thrashers. But it is hard to do that when you have someone who may be ready to play. By all accounts Trouba is exceeding expectations and I have no doubt a redraft would see him go top 4 at least.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Sign him to the max ELC and let him work his way up from the Ice Caps!

So choked I missed the Michigan game on the Score Saturday I want to see him play live so bad lol

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
"Hey, Kitty!"
EXACTLY! That is what came to mind immediately.

Carlyle was good for one of those a month and he was a Norris winner.

03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post

I agree with you on the Hamilton analogy. It sure makes you think he's ready, but I think he will sign, play on the Rock this year and start as the #5 dman next year after a full training camp and learning the team's system on the Rock this year. He can play with Stuart and play sheltered minutes and move his way up from there. That's what I think will happen.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Yea the good news is it’s not like we rushed Jacob.......he had a full season of collage and the WJC and now his hockey is done. I think that is important to remember here, we are still in March and Jacob is finished hockey for the season and if he was going to be back in Collage next year so be it but if not he would most likely play 10 professional games for the Ice Caps which represents 13% of a season! Remember Jacob played a grand total of 36 games for Michigan this year (plus playoffs) so another 10 games at the pro level against men is significant. This could be the exact trial run Jacob needs to be ready to join the parent club in the fall.

To me this is a no brainer if TNSE have deemed Jacob ready to turn pro then I think this a great time to join the Caps and see what he can do at the pro level!!

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I agree with you on the Hamilton analogy. It sure makes you think he's ready, but I think he will sign, play on the Rock this year and start as the #5 dman next year after a full training camp and learning the team's system on the Rock this year. He can play with Stuart and play sheltered minutes and move his way up from there. That's what I think will happen.
Stuie and Trouba.......the other team might want to keep their heads up

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Stuie and Trouba.......the other team might want to keep their heads up
They can set each other up for the Scott Stevens type hits

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Probability wise, this is the most likely to happen if he signs.
Although, ya never know.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea the good news is it’s not like we rushed Jacob.......he had a full season of collage and the WJC and now his hockey is done. I think that is important to remember here, we are still in March and Jacob is finished hockey for the season and if he was going to be back in Collage next year so be it but if not he would most likely play 10 professional games for the Ice Caps which represents 13% of a season! Remember Jacob played a grand total of 36 games for Michigan this year (plus playoffs) so another 10 games at the pro level against men is significant. This could be the exact trial run Jacob needs to be ready to join the parent club in the fall.

To me this is a no brainer if TNSE have deemed Jacob ready to turn pro then I think this a great time to join the Caps and see what he can do at the pro level!!
I agree, ps241.

Let him play with the IceCaps and gain some good experience playing pro.

He'll be much more prepared to earn a NHL spot in the fall. After a full training camp and some exhibition games.

Next fall might be exciting with potentially both Scheifele and Trouba in the line-up.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
epo

Sending Trouba to the St. John's IceCaps would require the player to sign an amateur tryout contract in conjunction with his entry-level contract.

Is this true, or is Lawless being Lawless?

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
JetsHomer

I don't think we'll see him with the Jets til next year, but hopefully the Caps this year.

I can't see Noel giving him even third line minutes as a rookie, while were in a playoff push. Especially when he has never learned the system the Jets play.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
If Trouba does indeed leave Michigan, my preference would be for him to start in St. John's. Just give him a feel for the pro game, and if it's clear he's adjusting to pro competition just fine, then call him up to bigs.
That's what I'm thinking as well. Even if he just gets the 7 games left in the regular season with St. John's that's a huge learning experience. Pulling him up for the playoffs might not be a bad idea.

After his WJC performance his stock has risen tenfold.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:20 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
Sending Trouba to the St. John's IceCaps would require the player to sign an amateur tryout contract in conjunction with his entry-level contract.

My understanding is yes. It allows the team to sign the player to a contract , but not burn the first year of the contract by having them play under the ATO. Normally the player is only going to be playing a small number of games ( up to 25 on the ATO ) at the end of the season or playoffs, so this is a good choice for the club.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:

Yes it's true, but it's basically a meaningless distinction, he still needs to sign his ELC and lose his NCAA eligibility, and I'd doubt there would be any issue with him signing one, if he's going to sign the ELC he's going to be willing to sign the ATO.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:

It doesn't require it, but it makes the most sense for the Jets to do so if they were inclined to have him play on the Icecaps.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:05 PM
jimmycrackcorn

Whenever he signs - whether it be this year, next year or the year after that - I've got a feeling Trouba will not play a single minute in the AHL.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Ramsalot
Rergisterd Uhrser

vCash: 50
I can't imagine Trouba ever playing in the AHL. If he does, he's done with the NCAA forever and not making the big bucks. Dropping college to jump to pro is kind of a big deal if he's serious about his education which he's always sounded like he is. Also I can't imagine him in the AHL because he's awesome. If he drops out of college, it's definitely for the big show, that he's even allegedly thinking about it probably means True North thinks he's ready.

Ramsalot is offline   Reply With Quote