HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 07:18 AM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
Where do you see Lipon going in the draft?

Old
03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Overagers are so difficult to judge.

We have Heard who we took with our 2nd rounder last year and Smith as our 7th rounder.

It is very wide open, but my hunch is somewhere in the middle of the draft. 3rd (stretch)-6th (probably not this late) round would be my very open guess.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
Weds game vs Calgary could solidify the tank. A win and were probably not looking at a top 3 pick. A loss however would give us good odds at one of the big three.
Pretty much. Kind of hoping for a lose honestly.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:58 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

According to our own RS, Pracey took in the Swift Current-Calgary game last night. The two prospects that stand out to me there are Chase from Calgary as a 3-4th rounder, and Heatherington from Swift Current as a 2nd 3rd rounder. Maybe Colby Cave as a late rounder as another option.

Edit: Guess I have to give credit to finds71 as well... guess I should read through the whole thread sometimes.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
Seth Jones is special no doubt. I did get a chance to watch him play in the WJHC. He definitely is a smart hockey with the physical tools to dominate. I doubt he will not live up to his potential. But, intelligence is the most important attribute I look for and Drouin's intelligence stands out. Watching his highlights is like watching Neo dodge bullets. He thinks the game faster than most people can even follow.
I agree with people above, YouTube videos is a bad way to determine who you want. Sure, it shows off a players offensive abilities, but that's only a small part of what goes into picking a player.

With that being said, Drouin is hands down my 2nd choice for who I want the Avs to get. First of all, we need a winger more than a C (which MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan all are). Second of all, he is the most dynamic offensive player in the draft, in my opinion. He would be a great future fit on our top line with Duchene, leaving Landeskog and O'Reilly to be a great pair on the 2nd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finds71 View Post
I was at the Broncos game tonight in Swift Current. Colorado scouts were there including Richard Pracey. I saw them talking a lot with an anaheim scout. Just tought you guys would like to know.

By the way it was a great game Laurikainen really stood on his head and they beat Calgary in OT.
Thanks for that info. That's great to hear. There is some fine talent on both of those teams including:

Dillon Heatherington - Swift Current D - Big kid, plays a shutdown D role, very good skater, a likely 2nd round pick
Greg Chase - Calgary RW - Very fast and intelligent, nephew of former NHLer Kelly Chase, probably a 3rd rounder
Colby Cave - Swift Current LW - Big winger, hits like a truck, offense and skating is slowly improving, maybe a 6th or 7th rounder
Zane Jones - Calgary LW - Overager, big powerforward, goes to the net, might be a late round pick
Eetu Laurikainen - Swift Current G - Typical Finnish goalie, very athletic, competes hard, stood on his head last night, might be a late round pick
Jay Merkley - Swift Current RW - Smaller kid, stock has fallen drastically, hope we don't even consider taking him
Pavlo Padakin - Calgary RW - Very good defensively, great compete, offensive skills are underrated. Some team might take him late, but I doubt it

Quote:
Don't see anyone considering him earlier than the late 3rd round. I have him rated in the late 4th round, maybe even the 5th.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:05 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by finds71 View Post
I was at the Broncos game tonight in Swift Current. Colorado scouts were there including Richard Pracey. I saw them talking a lot with an anaheim scout. Just tought you guys would like to know.

By the way it was a great game Laurikainen really stood on his head and they beat Calgary in OT.
Stastny to Anaheim in 3... 2...

Seriously if Anaheim wants to compete for a cup this year they need a #2C, and Stastny can do that. To fit their internal cap we would likely need to bring back a bad contract or retain salary.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Don't see anyone considering him earlier than the late 3rd round. I have him rated in the late 4th round, maybe even the 5th.
This is what I kinda thought as well. Maybe we take a chance with him? Wasn't he like a first rounder on some Central Scouting list at some point?

Old
03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

IMO I don't think you should take overagers in the first 3 rounds (partly why I didn't like the Heard pick). So anywhere 4th on I would be okay with the Avs using a pick on Lipon.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Scouts are friends with other scouts in the league so it's not uncommon to see two WHL scouts one from Colorado and one from Florida talk on a regular bases, because they always see each other.

If it was GMs talking, then to me that is a different story.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:35 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
This is what I kinda thought as well. Maybe we take a chance with him? Wasn't he like a first rounder on some Central Scouting list at some point?
I can't recall him ever being that high. I think he was slated by some maybe late 2nd earlier this season.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Zandar

Quote:
central scouting was drunk if they had him as a top 50 pick for this draft

Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Just for the record, Central Scouting is out there more as a resource to outline which players might be worth a look from NHL teams. It's not necessarily famous for having the most accurate rankings, as that's not what it's actually intended for.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
MikeC

Quote:
With that being said, Drouin is hands down my 2nd choice for who I want the Avs to get. First of all, we need a winger more than a C (which MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan all are). Second of all, he is the most dynamic offensive player in the draft, in my opinion. He would be a great future fit on our top line with Duchene, leaving Landeskog and O'Reilly to be a great pair on the 2nd line.

Dillon Heatherington - Swift Current D - Big kid, plays a shutdown D role, very good skater, a likely 2nd round pick
Greg Chase - Calgary RW - Very fast and intelligent, nephew of former NHLer Kelly Chase, probably a 3rd rounder
Colby Cave - Swift Current LW - Big winger, hits like a truck, offense and skating is slowly improving, maybe a 6th or 7th rounder
Zane Jones - Calgary LW - Overager, big powerforward, goes to the net, might be a late round pick
Eetu Laurikainen - Swift Current G - Typical Finnish goalie, very athletic, competes hard, stood on his head last night, might be a late round pick
Jay Merkley - Swift Current RW - Smaller kid, stock has fallen drastically, hope we don't even consider taking him
Pavlo Padakin - Calgary RW - Very good defensively, great compete, offensive skills are underrated. Some team might take him late, but I doubt it
Great post RS!!

This is why we need to trade our UFA(O'Byrne, Kobasew) if we do not intend to resign them and other players like Jones, hunwick, Zanon , .... If we can get more picks for those players to select guys like Chase, Heatherington, ... We will have more depth, and with Depth, it is a lot easier to make trades.

Lipton was available last year in the 7th round. So Zanon for a 7th give us the chance to draft a guy like Lipton.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
My bad, that was the WHL only. But I suppose we had interest to sign him before the season so I wouldn't be surprised if we took him on a late round.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:28 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Drouin would make the offense a lot more explosive. giving ROR or Duchene a winger like that to pair with them would be sick. depending on if Duchene is centering the top line or not.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
Drouin would make the offense a lot more explosive. giving ROR or Duchene a winger like that to pair with them would be sick. depending on if Duchene is centering the top line or not.
Jones is the best choice, but I also wouldn't mind if Panthers won 1st overall and selected Jones, which in turn we HAD to draft Drouin.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

I will be interested to see what we end up doing if we don't end up with the 1st or 2nd overall pick. For me, the no-brainers there are Jones and Drouin. A big reason for my thoughts there is that they are positionally perfect for what we need.

Guys like MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm are all centers and Nichushkin is a Russian.

Does our staff not worry about that and take one of those guys anyway? Do they try and convert guys like MacKinnon, Monahan, Lindolm, Barkov to the wing position? I think MacKinnon would make a great winger, but he's also very good on faceoffs, so who knows.

It seems redundant to have Duchene-O'Reilly-Stastny-X down the middle, with X being one of the above-listed players. It still seems redundant even if we trade Stastny as guys like X don't really fit the role as a #3 center going forward, or at least it doesn't seem that way.

Do all these factors force us to trade back or trade up or just stick with the BPA scenario?

Things will be interesting down the stretch and leading up to the draft.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
I will be interested to see what we end up doing if we don't end up with the 1st or 2nd overall pick. For me, the no-brainers there are Jones and Drouin. A big reason for my thoughts there is that they are positionally perfect for what we need.

Guys like MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm are all centers and Nichushkin is a Russian.

Does our staff not worry about that and take one of those guys anyway? Do they try and convert guys like MacKinnon, Monahan, Lindolm, Barkov to the wing position? I think MacKinnon would make a great winger, but he's also very good on faceoffs, so who knows.

It seems redundant to have Duchene-O'Reilly-Stastny-X down the middle, with X being one of the above-listed players. It still seems redundant even if we trade Stastny as guys like X don't really fit the role as a #3 center going forward, or at least it doesn't seem that way.

Do all these factors force us to trade back or trade up or just stick with the BPA scenario?

I think they will go BPA. If that means picking another center, they will do it. Many centers are converted to wing in the NHL anyways.

And I honestly could see us trading/losing both Stastny and ROR in the next 15 month. So a MacKinnon or Barkov could come in handy if that happens.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:14 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

BPA and both Mac and Lindholm can play wing as well. I would assume that Barkov could play wing if asked to. That also assumes we will hold on to both ROR and Stastny.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Jones is the best choice, but I also wouldn't mind if Panthers won 1st overall and selected Jones, which in turn we HAD to draft Drouin.
this is my feeling too.
Jones cures many future ills and some current ones. i want him badly.
but as i said before, Drouin reminds me of Duchene when he was rising up the boards and Tavarres was the prize. didn't mind settling for Duchene then and won't mind settling for Drouin now.

still want Jones though!

Old
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
BPA and both Mac and Lindholm can play wing as well. I would assume that Barkov could play wing if asked to. That also assumes we will hold on to both ROR and Stastny.
Barkov could play wing ofc but much of his strengths would be wasted there imo.

But I agree, BPA. Statsny may want to walk and has to be traded. Maybe they want to trade ROR the second they can. There would go that C depth.

BPA and make moves accordingly.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
It's not just that easy. IIRC, both of those guys have played wing before, but not since last season. You don't just switch them because you need to. You have to also do what's best for the player.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 586
If we don't get the #1 or #2 pick I'd be listening to offers. I wonder if we could use that pick as the centerpiece of a deal for say Yandle or some other youngish minute munching dman. Would have to have term left on the dman's contract though or an agreement in place to extend.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
It's not just that easy. IIRC, both of those guys have played wing before, but not since last season. You don't just switch them because you need to. You have to also do what's best for the player.
Lindholm has played wing this whole season. His cousin is his centerman, Calle Järnkrok.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Lindholm has been winger this year in SEL. I think he was at wing in WJCs too.

Closed Thread