HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

*Must Win* Won

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 05:56 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

vCash: 500
*Must Win* Won

Wings win 2-1 on a third period goal by Whitney to take a 4 point lead on the Blues (though the Blues have, um, six games inhand.

Anyone notice that the players seemed a lot more enthused about congradulating Cujo after the game?
This Cujo/Hasek/Legace thing gets weirder by the minute.
Today's post game celebration appeared to validate reports that the Wings players are standing behind Cujo. Now, are they just happy to see him play
well after a tough first half? Or do they want him as their #1 goalie?
Who knows about management? Would the Wings want to keep Cujo and Trade Hasek? Would Hasek accept a trade? Would any team even want
Hasek and his $6M salary and perpetually injured groin? Then again, no one has ever criticized Cujo's ability to win in December.

Credit Cujo and the Wings for a hard-earned third period wins. These are the wins that build character for the playoffs. The 6-1 wins are fun and all.
But they do little to help you in the playoffs.

Hey Darryl Bootland. See Mike Danton out there? That's how you play the *energy* game. You play hard and hit everything, and guys will take
dumb penalties in retaliation. To me, that's worlds better than goading people into fights and skating away. Danton will earn the oppositions respect,
although it will come begrudgingly. Bootland is playing like a joker.

The Wings offense has looked rather anemic since the return of Yzerman and Whitney. Too often, the puck seems to be in between guys. Each guy
thinks the other is going to get it, and that split second of hesitation allowed the Blues to get the puck away safely. Whitney scored that winning goal
to salvage an otherwise ugly game. He was knocked off the puck about a dozen times. He made several bad passes and still hasn't regained the speed
he showed early in the year.

Yzerman still hasn't returned to pre-groin levels. His poor skating tonight led to a couple dangerous giveaways in all three ends of the ice.

Shanny's point streak ended. And while he looked a little weak offensively, he backchecked hard, so you can't accuse him of floating.

How about Pavel Datsyuk? A couple things here:
1. On the goal, I watched several replays and I still can't figure out what happened. Did he purposefully lift the puck over Osgood? I can't even fathom
that. Or did he just chip it and get lucky? Did the puck hit Ozzie's stick and go over him? Then again, the replay from the right side of the net almost
made it look like the Blues defender was guilty of chipping it over Ozzie.
2. He absolutely made the winning goal happen. Stops the puck from clearing the zone along the boards. Battling two Blues, he forced the one Blue to
take it toward his goal. And then bam. Steal. Kick it to Hull. Hull to Whitney. Winning goal. That's the play that won't make ESPN highlights. But
that's the play that makes you realize that Pavel has steak to go with his sizzle.

Lidstrom is getting back into form. He's jumping into plays and making things happen. Time for the Norris Trophy run.

To me, Niklas Kronwall is ready to play now. In fact, I'd like to see him get more minutes. It would be a shame to send him back to GR. But given
the injuries the Wings have had this year, I'm not sure we can afford to trade Dandenault away.

Did Jason Williams play at all in the third period? I give the guy credit for working hard and throwing the body around. But when Homer, Thomas,
Chelios (forcing Dandy to D again) and Mac (if he comes back) get back, he's never going to see any icetime.

Merry Christmas. (Happy Holidays, or whatever) Have fun. Stay safe.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Merry Christmas. (Happy Holidays, or whatever) Have fun. Stay safe.
The same goes to you

Old
12-22-2003, 07:04 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
it was a great game and definitly a great win. Im glad to see us going into the holidays with a win, and cujo looked pretty damn happy to win tonight. He's starting to get off my "shytlist" thats for sure. Playing more solid...

*did i just say solid and cujo in the same paragraph? oh wow

Old
12-22-2003, 07:11 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
That had to be one of the flukier goals that Pasha has scored, but we'll take them any way we can get them.

I think he just got lucky, and it chipped above Ozzie and went in. But I'll try and watch the replay to see for sure.

And yes, I agree...he did make the winning goal happen. Talk about making something out of nothing.

Good way to go into the Christmas break. Merry Christmas to all the Wings, and thank you for all the joy you have given us so far this season. And happy birthday (now belated) to Kirk Maltby!

Old
12-22-2003, 07:30 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
That had to be one of the flukier goals that Pasha has scored, but we'll take them any way we can get them.

I think he just got lucky, and it chipped above Ozzie and went in. But I'll try and watch the replay to see for sure.

And yes, I agree...he did make the winning goal happen. Talk about making something out of nothing.

Good way to go into the Christmas break. Merry Christmas to all the Wings, and thank you for all the joy you have given us so far this season. And happy birthday (now belated) to Kirk Maltby!
Everything that guy throws at the net has been goin in lately.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:48 PM
kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Everything that guy throws at the net has been goin in lately.

Too true..which is why I breathe a sigh of relief that he's playing for us!

But you guys have nothing to be ashamed of...you gave us a hell of a fight and you can go into Chicago tomorrow night with your heads high...you really don't have anything to be ashamed of at all.

Happy Christmas.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Anyone notice that the players seemed a lot more enthused about congradulating Cujo after the game?
This Cujo/Hasek/Legace thing gets weirder by the minute.
Today's post game celebration appeared to validate reports that the Wings players are standing behind Cujo. Now, are they just happy to see him play
well after a tough first half? Or do they want him as their #1 goalie?
Who knows about management? Would the Wings want to keep Cujo and Trade Hasek? Would Hasek accept a trade? Would any team even want
Hasek and his $6M salary and perpetually injured groin? Then again, no one has ever criticized Cujo's ability to win in December.
Didn't Hasek give up $2M of his original $8M salary for a NTC?
Quote:
Hey Darryl Bootland. See Mike Danton out there? That's how you play the *energy* game. You play hard and hit everything, and guys will take
dumb penalties in retaliation. To me, that's worlds better than goading people into fights and skating away. Danton will earn the oppositions respect,
although it will come begrudgingly. Bootland is playing like a joker.
Bootland isn't capable of playing like Danton, Danton's speed enables him to finish a lot of checks and Bootland doesn't have that kind of speed........but I agree, at the very least Bootland should play with some pride until the Wings send him back to GR, where he belongs.
BTW, did anyone else notice on the replay that Shannahan and a few of the other Wings were shaking their heads on the bench when he goaded Tootoo and than backed down.
Quote:
Credit Cujo and the Wings for a hard-earned third period wins.
Cujo has played very well as of late, he isn't as "untradeable" as he was two weeks ago. Not sure how many quality shots got through during that last minute scramble, but Joseph managed to keep the puck out and secure the victory.
Quote:
To me, Niklas Kronwall is ready to play now. In fact, I'd like to see him get more minutes. It would be a shame to send him back to GR. But given
the injuries the Wings have had this year, I'm not sure we can afford to trade Dandenault away.
I am, Dandenault started the game on Defence and wound up being replaced by Rivers for the last half of the game, thats saying something in an important, and close, game like this!
Lewis has obviously lost some confidence in Dandy and when everyone is healthy(cross fingers), Kronwall and Rivers is good enough insurance IMO.
Hopefully Holland is showing a Dandenault and Kopecky/Liv/Williams package come trade dealine, rather than the usuall first round pick.

Old
12-22-2003, 08:41 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Merry Christmas to all you red wings fans. I will be sending you lumps of coal shortly.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:08 AM
kira

I tried to watch the replay last night, and I've watched it on ESPN as well. As near as I can tell, and I'm probably looking at it wrong, it looks like it went off Ozzie's pads and just climbed up and back down his back into the net. Strangest goal I've seen Pasha score, but I suppose the best person to ask on that would be Ozzie himself.

Oh well, we'll take the early Christmas gift. Thank you Pasha.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:43 AM
Scottgaf

Bootland

I agree with Boom hower. People on the Wings boards expect too much from him. He wouldn't even be playing in the NHL right now if it weren't for injuries. He is doing the best he can.

He's not big enough to be a consistent heavyweight fighter in the NHL. He's not fast enough to be a grinder. I think he has done a great job doing what he can without being a defensive liability. That's all the coaching staff can ask of him. Give the guy a break.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:27 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
Didn't Hasek give up $2M of his original $8M salary for a NTC?
Yep. That's why I wonder if Hasek would consider moving, even if the Wings wanted him to move.

Quote:
Bootland isn't capable of playing like Danton, Danton's speed enables him to finish a lot of checks and Bootland doesn't have that kind of speed........but I agree, at the very least Bootland should play with some pride until the Wings send him back to GR, where he belongs.
BTW, did anyone else notice on the replay that Shannahan and a few of the other Wings were shaking their heads on the bench when he goaded Tootoo and than backed down.
I didn't see them shaking their heads.
But I was shaking my head. No class at all. I'm not a big fights fan. But I can't stand weasels like Bootland.

Speaking of shaking their heads. Shanny and Yzerman played a few weeks with Devereaux, and while the line was pretty effective, you could kind of tell that they were getting a little frustrated with Devereaux un-skilled game.
Then, while playing with different linemates, Devereaux ripped that one timer to win the game. Shanny and Stevie loooked at eachother and rolled their eyes and laughed.

Quote:
Cujo has played very well as of late, he isn't as "untradeable" as he was two weeks ago. Not sure how many quality shots got through during that last minute scramble, but Joseph managed to keep the puck out and secure the victory.
Cujo, IMO, was the player of the game.
He's definitely increased his trade value. Hopefully someone bites soon, before he's relegated back to Grand Rapids and becomes a less definite quantity.

Quote:
I am, Dandenault started the game on Defence and wound up being replaced by Rivers for the last half of the game, thats saying something in an important, and close, game like this!
Lewis has obviously lost some confidence in Dandy and when everyone is healthy(cross fingers), Kronwall and Rivers is good enough insurance IMO.
Hopefully Holland is showing a Dandenault and Kopecky/Liv/Williams package come trade dealine, rather than the usuall first round pick.
Trading a first rounder this year would be suicide as we don't have our second rounder either.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Speaking of shaking their heads. Shanny and Yzerman played a few weeks with Devereaux, and while the line was pretty effective, you could kind of tell that they were getting a little frustrated with Devereaux un-skilled game.
Then, while playing with different linemates, Devereaux ripped that one timer to win the game. Shanny and Stevie loooked at eachother and rolled their eyes and laughed.
Shanny must have done a double take last night when Draper missed the wide open net, to make sure that wasn't Devereaux........ Costed Shanny his points streak, beauty play though, fake the slapper to get the goalie out of the net and feed the uncovered man infront.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:

Old
12-24-2003, 02:58 AM
kov

And the Blues dropped one against the Hawks of all teams (how do you like them back-to-back games, Blues?). And they play the Avs the day after christmas, hopefully they'll drop that one too.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:47 PM
kira

Back-to-back games have been a downfall for us this season...it seems like we always come out flat on the back side of them. Maybe the Blues need a few of them to see what it feels like.

Closed Thread