HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you prefer right now?

View Poll Results: If you had to choose...
I want the Preds to try to make the playoffs or actually make the playoffs. 38 82.61%
I want the Preds to try to get the highest draft pick possible for this years draft 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-26-2013, 10:32 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I'd prefer to make the playoffs over getting the highest draft pick possible. I just don't think it's going to happen for us this year.

Since I'd prefer the playoffs I selected that option.

03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

As I've said all along, there's a difference between actively rooting for the team to lose\tank-- and being okay with the games you do lose, as a means to an end.

My first choice is to win the 80 or so percent of our remaining games we need to make the playoffs and see what happens.

My second choice is to lose that 80 percent and be put into a position that you could add an impact player via the draft, one that could help as quickly as next year, as part of a quick, on-the-fly rebuild.

The WORST thing that could happen would be what we've done all season: win a few, lose a few, win a few, lose a few. Don't make the playoffs, finish in 9th or 10th, draft 12th or 13th.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:38 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Like I said in the "tank" thread, if this is truly a bad team then I want them to finish where a bad team should finish. Get the draft pick and roll with it.

BUT I think what we have is an average team. We can't consistently hang with the top teams, and when we do look really good it seems to always be against inferior clubs. Of course, before our recent three game winning streak we lost to the same three clubs we just beat, so it isn't as if we have been consistent when playing clubs that are supposed to be worse than ours.

Since I don't think we finish lower than 10th I'd rather to see a push for the play offs to get some of the young kids developing in a winning environment.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Like I said in the "tank" thread, if this is truly a bad team then I want them to finish where a bad team should finish. Get the draft pick and roll with it.

BUT I think what we have is an average team. We can't consistently hang with the top teams, and when we do look really good it seems to always be against inferior clubs. Of course, before our recent three game winning streak we lost to the same three clubs we just beat, so it isn't as if we have been consistent when playing clubs that are supposed to be worse than ours.

Since I don't think we finish lower than 10th I'd rather to see a push for the play offs to get some of the young kids developing in a winning environment.

100% agree

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
In truth neither are going to happen to make the playoffs the team will need to win 11 of the last 15 to get to the projected 55 to get in. As you look at the remaining schedule it looks like they will finish in the 47 to 49 point mark and end up 10 thru 13 area according to how all the games in hand fall out behind the Preds. So a tank and top 5 pick is not supported nor is squeeking into 8th. This has just been a mess of a season but therer are bright spots in some of the young guys. Bartly, Muller, Beck are promising for next year.
Those are just guesses- no one knows how many points we are going to finish with or how many it will take to get in.

We are right on the edge of the playoffs right now- you say we have to win 11 of 15- again, no way to know that for sure, find it hard to believe we wouldn't be in with a 10-5 finish

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Those are just guesses- no one knows how many points we are going to finish with or how many it will take to get in.

We are right on the edge of the playoffs right now- you say we have to win 11 of 15- again, no way to know that for sure, find it hard to believe we wouldn't be in with a 10-5 finish
The lone hope of making the playoffs is going to hinge on the Sharks. They have struggled this year if they continue to get eat up in the next 10 days the Preds have a chance the tough games left for the Preds against Chi x4 wings x 2 and a Blues and A couple games with the surging Jackets place the preds in a must win situation in the easy games and having to play 500 against the hard teams.

Like someone else pointed out against average teams they can hold there own. And the fact that there in 9th now each team 8th thru 16 have at least one game in hand and the Flames have three in hand. 4 games left before the trade deadline and DP is not sure if were sellers or buyers is also a good indication that needed pieces may not be added. These are the very things we experienced in the teams we had scratching to make playoffs in years past.

I would like to see them run off a string of wins and make it in but the options are now even with a string it will hinge on how other teams play inparticular the Sharks 8th is still possible mathmatically but 7th is a pipedream at this point. Finishing 9th or 10 is a disaster when it comes to the draft also. So the outlook is pretty dim were just good enough to have a shot at the playoffs and if its a close miss the draft choice is markedly worse than a top 5 pick for help next year.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
drwpreds

Against the current top 10 in the West- (excluding us of course) we are 9-8-5.

So its not like we are getting killed by the top teams as some seem to be claiming.

The discouraging thing to me is that it is looking like 7 teams are separating themselves from the bottom 8- Chicago, Anaheim, Minnesota, Vancouver, Detroit, St Louis, LA. (Detroit going 3-0 so far on their West Coast trip was a killer for us).

As optimistic as I like to be, its admittedly going to be very tough to pass any of those teams, and if that's the case, 8th might be the best we can hope for- and that is very discouraging because 6 and 7 are much, much more favorable.....

Old
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
NoNecksCurse

7-7-5 is our record against playoff teams. producing pretty much the same clip against the cellar dwellars. we're nothing more than average right now.

we're 2-5-3 against the top 5 seeds in the west. i think this stat is significant cause its almost a lock we play a top 5 seed IF we make it in. we only have ONE win against top 5 seed in regulation .. that was against minnesota in the first week of the season before they had their stuff together. you guys can bash the "old negative guy" all you want.. but im realistic. you guys are talking playoffs after beating the same cellar dwellars that stomped us last week when everyone was already ruling out playoffs.. at least im consistent....

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
MrMariusz

Preds will make the playoffs, so this thread is irrelevant Still 15ish games to play, jeez, that's a LOT of hockey left.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:19 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
7-7-5 is our record against playoff teams. producing pretty much the same clip against the cellar dwellars. we're nothing more than average right now.

we're 2-5-3 against the top 5 seeds in the west. i think this stat is significant cause its almost a lock we play a top 5 seed IF we make it in. we only have ONE win against top 5 seed in regulation .. that was against minnesota in the first week of the season before they had their stuff together. you guys can bash the "old negative guy" all you want.. but im realistic. you guys are talking playoffs after beating the same cellar dwellars that stomped us last week when everyone was already ruling out playoffs.. at least im consistent....
Again, I hear what you are saying, but records in the regular season mean absolutely nothing come playoff time. I don't care if we are 0 fer against a given team- when the playoffs start anything can happen.

Last year:
Van finished 16 points ahead of LA- eliminated in 1st round
NYR finished 17 points ahead of Ottawa- had to go 7 to beat them

Just so we are clear and I'm not called overly optimistic- I'm not saying that's going to happen with us- just saying quoting our record against other teams is pointless IF we get in playoffs

Not to mention- if we do finish strong and get in, our playoff team will not be the same team we were in the first half of this season when we couldn't beat anyone