HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 09:53 AM
  #101
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star
 
messierjagrlundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
It's not ignored. It's just pointless to freak out over it when out ownership doesn't care and isn't gonna fire him. Bottom line is, any ownership that truly cared/had a clue would have fired Sather somewhere in the 2001-2002 range, and lit Sather on fire when he gave Bobby Holik 9 million per for 5 years in 2002. Sather didn't just get bad recently, he's been a fiasco his entire time here. And it would have looked a lot worse if Jagr and Nash didn't essentially dictate their trades to the Rangers themselves. Sather should have been fired 50 times over before the locked out season in 2004, so losing your mind that he's here is pointless at this point.
How much fault are we finding in Sather the last two seasons? Last year's team was built superbly and the right coach was given the job. this year? It's kind of ridiculous to hang Sather for looking at our roster last year and realizing we needed more offensive skill. I do that Nash trade again, and again, and again. Losing so many pieces in the bottom 6 I find hard to stomach. It's like other teams took notice of our success and sniped our bottom 6 (Prust and Fedotenko) with $. Maybe in retrospect you overpay for one of the two, proven contributors. Maybe that's the cost of success.

messierjagrlundqvist is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:02 PM
  #102
Rangers79
Registered User
 
Rangers79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Sather was brought in the build this team back up and I think he did a good job. He got rid of the old Rangers guard, brought in some older guys who did cost a lot of money, which didn't matter at the time, to try and keep the team somewhat productive while rebuilding. Since that time Rangers have missed the playoffs once since the year long lockout but haven't won it all yet. I'd say that's a hell of a lot better than how it was before the lockout.

Rangers79 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
  #103
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers79 View Post
Sather was brought in the build this team back up and I think he did a good job. He got rid of the old Rangers guard, brought in some older guys who did cost a lot of money, which didn't matter at the time, to try and keep the team somewhat productive while rebuilding. Since that time Rangers have missed the playoffs once since the year long lockout but haven't won it all yet. I'd say that's a hell of a lot better than how it was before the lockout.
I'd say its completely on the contrary. That he actually set this organization back a good decade. We did virtually nothing of interest from 2000 to 2011.

In fact, until our ECF run last season, the best thing I've seen from this organization is Lundqvists existence and Jagr's record breaking 05-06 season.

That's actually pathetic.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
  #104
Rangers79
Registered User
 
Rangers79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I'd say its completely on the contrary. That he actually set this organization back a good decade. We did virtually nothing of interest from 2000 to 2011.

In fact, until our ECF run last season, the best thing I've seen from this organization is Lundqvists existence and Jagr's record breaking 05-06 season.

That's actually pathetic.
I think the thing that hurt the Rangers the most is they've never had a top 3 pick. They've always been mediocre, never too bad or too good, until last year. But most teams are just mediocre, there are always just a few really good teams and for some reason the Rangers have just never clicked that way.

But since Sather came in the Rangers have gotten a lot better at drafting, building a team, having a real farm system, being somewhat competitive, albeit in a mediocre way. I don't know if someone else could have done the same thing or do any better, but he at least helped the Rangers not be the joke of the NHL.

Rangers79 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:17 PM
  #105
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers79 View Post
I think the thing that hurt the Rangers the most is they've never had a top 3 pick. They've always been mediocre, never too bad or too good, until last year. But most teams are just mediocre, there are always just a few really good teams and for some reason the Rangers have just never clicked that way.

But since Sather came in the Rangers have gotten a lot better at drafting, building a team, having a real farm system, being somewhat competitive, albeit in a mediocre way. I don't know if someone else could have done the same thing or do any better, but he at least helped the Rangers not be the joke of the NHL.
We never have excellent draft positioning because Sather never actually rebuilds. He just overpays players as quick fixes to keep us in limbo where we win enough games to have a ****** draft spot, but still only manage a weak team and get trounced early in the post season.

I'll give you drafting. Sather has done that with relative efficiency. As for your other reasons, you negate them by admitting that its done in a mediocre way. Mediocre might be the worse route to go in the NHL. Teams that excel (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston) obviously win Cups. Teams that straight suck (NYI, Edmonton) acquire excellent draft positioning. Teams that are mediocre (Calgary) are stuck in a perpetual hell where they don't generate enough noise to compete and get stuck with lower tier prospects.

As for being "jokes", I don't think anyone was laughing with us during the Redden signing....

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:20 PM
  #106
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,727
vCash: 50
What I'm basically saying is, I find it amazing that you can say he's done a good job when, out of all the pimples on this organization, Slats has been a shotgun blast.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:23 PM
  #107
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers79 View Post
I think the thing that hurt the Rangers the most is they've never had a top 3 pick. They've always been mediocre, never too bad or too good, until last year. But most teams are just mediocre, there are always just a few really good teams and for some reason the Rangers have just never clicked that way.

But since Sather came in the Rangers have gotten a lot better at drafting, building a team, having a real farm system, being somewhat competitive, albeit in a mediocre way. I don't know if someone else could have done the same thing or do any better, but he at least helped the Rangers not be the joke of the NHL.

This. Look at the majority of the cup winning teams post-lockout. Most had a top 5 pick in the lineup.

Kane, Crosby, E. Staal, Seguin, etc.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
  #108
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,727
vCash: 50
Though I understand the notion that we've never had a Top Pick (I made this same point yesterday) it has also become clear to me that we don't have one pretty much because Sather won't allow us to have one. His FA signings are so atrocious that it effects our drafting.

Also, It has been 13 years since he took over. It took 12 for our longest playoff run since '97.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
  #109
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,701
vCash: 500
I wish this wasn't NYC so we could tank at least once to get a really good pick

JohnC is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:51 PM
  #110
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Though I understand the notion that we've never had a Top Pick (I made this same point yesterday) it has also become clear to me that we don't have one pretty much because Sather won't allow us to have one. His FA signings are so atrocious that it effects our drafting.

Also, It has been 13 years since he took over. It took 12 for our longest playoff run since '97.

Because everyone wants us to have a bad season in the past, never right now. Let me remind you that the response to "let's have a fire sale and rebuild anew" is always, "if we can make the playoffs, anything can happen." Except we didn't make the playoffs and when we did, "anything" never happened. The only decent playoff run we had was last year after a very good regular season. It's surprising how "anything" happens to good teams and not to bad ones. Sure, there are rare exceptions, but there are usually reasons for it, it's not "anything happening for no apparent reason."

Beacon is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:01 PM
  #111
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Because everyone wants us to have a bad season in the past, never right now. Let me remind you that the response to "let's have a fire sale and rebuild anew" is always, "if we can make the playoffs, anything can happen." Except we didn't make the playoffs and when we did, "anything" never happened. The only decent playoff run we had was last year after a very good regular season. It's surprising how "anything" happens to good teams and not to bad ones. Sure, there are rare exceptions, but there are usually reasons for it, it's not "anything happening for no apparent reason."
This is very true and I'll end up categorizing myself into that because I don't want to blow this current team up, but that's because we have players like Nash and Lundqvist and I'd hate to waste some of their years.

My point applies more to our pre lockout years where it was apparent that nothing good was knocking on our door.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
  #112
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,174
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Stop with the Rangers never have hi picks excuse, even when they do they pick busts.

Brendl, Lundmark, Jessiman, Montoya, Sangs all hi picks that should have landed us a long time effective players. If we ever got the 1st OV pick you can bet we will get a Patrick Stefan bust. Been a Ranger fan for over 25 years and I just accept the luck this franchise has which is none.

You want a top pick franchise player here you gotta wait till free agency or after he's 35 and looking to retire.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
  #113
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Stop with the Rangers never have hi picks excuse, even when they do they pick busts.

Brendl, Lundmark, Jessiman, Montoya, Sangs all hi picks that should have landed us a long time effective players. If we ever got the 1st OV pick you can bet we will get a Patrick Stefan bust. Been a Ranger fan for over 25 years and I just accept the luck this franchise has which is none.

You want a top pick franchise player here you gotta wait till free agency or after he's 35 and looking to retire.
jessiman and Sangs were not high picks.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
  #114
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,565
vCash: 500
Unfortunately our biggest "win" as a franchise since Sather took over is also the thing that set off this continued mediocrity; Lundqvist's arrival in NY. Hank, along with Jagr returning to beast mode, ended whatever 'rebuild' Sather had initiated in the 2004 fire-sale and here we are nearly 10 years later spinning our wheels and talking about "what-ifs" and how to salvage a broken season. We can't restart the process that he abandoned because our stars are in their primes. It's just really sad at this point.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:30 PM
  #115
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Unfortunately our biggest "win" as a franchise since Sather took over is also the thing that set off this continued mediocrity; Lundqvist's arrival in NY. Hank, along with Jagr returning to beast mode, ended whatever 'rebuild' Sather had initiated in the 2004 fire-sale and here we are nearly 10 years later spinning our wheels and talking about "what-ifs" and how to salvage a broken season. We can't restart the process that he abandoned because our stars are in their primes. It's just really sad at this point.
Waiting for the thread 'Lundqvist: Best thing or worst thing to happen to Modern day Rangers?'

True, without him we probably would be still searching for a goalie, and god knows what our prospect cupboard would look like. Could be littered with gems or not too far from what it is now knowing who would've been making the picks.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
  #116
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Waiting for the thread 'Lundqvist: Best thing or worst thing to happen to Modern day Rangers?'

True, without him we probably would be still searching for a goalie, and god knows what our prospect cupboard would look like. Could be littered with gems or not too far from what it is now knowing who would've been making the picks.
LOL. You just know someone is going to attempt it at the conclusion of his career.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
  #117
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
jessiman and Sangs were not high picks.
They were both picks where franchise players were picked immediately after them.

So, I dont buy this crap that you need a top 5 pick to ensure homegrown 1st line talent.

I do buy the notion that, while hes done an OK job, Gordie Clark's drafting prowess is incredibly overrated in these parts.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:42 PM
  #118
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,793
vCash: 500
Hope he recovers well.

I'd also suggest we take other talk elsewhere, no biggie but Slats very ill and we never know where this is going, touch wood, and I just don't see the need to mix cancer talk with "how could se trade Kundratek" posts...

Ola is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:47 PM
  #119
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Waiting for the thread 'Lundqvist: Best thing or worst thing to happen to Modern day Rangers?'

True, without him we probably would be still searching for a goalie, and god knows what our prospect cupboard would look like. Could be littered with gems or not too far from what it is now knowing who would've been making the picks.
Weekes backstopping the team through those 2 or 3 post-lockout seasons? Yikes. Hello Stamkos and Tavares! Errr, sorry. Beach and Kassian.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:48 PM
  #120
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
I remember watching that draft day.The scouts and TV guys were all drooling over Brendl and Lundmark..I remember they were comparing Lundmark to Yzerman..Its all a crapshoot.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Stop with the Rangers never have hi picks excuse, even when they do they pick busts.

Brendl, Lundmark, Jessiman, Montoya, Sangs all hi picks that should have landed us a long time effective players. If we ever got the 1st OV pick you can bet we will get a Patrick Stefan bust. Been a Ranger fan for over 25 years and I just accept the luck this franchise has which is none.

You want a top pick franchise player here you gotta wait till free agency or after he's 35 and looking to retire.

surf is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:39 PM
  #121
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
I hope Sather recovers quickly and then decides to retire soon after.

The 3 forwards upon which this offense is built around came from outside the organization, and 2 of them are overpaid and underperforming. It's deja vu all over again. Still waiting for that homegrown, 30-goal forward...

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 06:34 PM
  #122
Vidic15
Registered User
 
Vidic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I hope Sather recovers quickly and then decides to retire soon after.

The 3 forwards upon which this offense is built around came from outside the organization, and 2 of them are overpaid and underperforming. It's deja vu all over again. Still waiting for that homegrown, 30-goal forward...
Two of those three forwards will likely be gone by the end of next season. Be thankful for the flexibility, at least.

Vidic15 is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 05:57 AM
  #123
JD123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers79 View Post
I think the thing that hurt the Rangers the most is they've never had a top 3 pick. They've always been mediocre, never too bad or too good, until last year. But most teams are just mediocre, there are always just a few really good teams and for some reason the Rangers have just never clicked that way.

But since Sather came in the Rangers have gotten a lot better at drafting, building a team, having a real farm system, being somewhat competitive, albeit in a mediocre way. I don't know if someone else could have done the same thing or do any better, but he at least helped the Rangers not be the joke of the NHL.
Trust me we still are the joke of the league and sather is to blame just as much as anyone else! His free agent signings and the amount of money he $hell$ out is beyond ridiculous. I don't need to List them. Just google the the top 20 NHL free agent signing busts in hockey and sather is responsible for almost a quarter of them.

JD123 is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
  #124
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,867
vCash: 500
There has not been any word on Slats. The man is entitled to his privacy. He was supposed to return to work within a few days after the surgery. Its been very quiet. The man will be 70 in September. He owns 1/2 of Banff,Alberta. He doesn't need the day to day headaches. The public is not entitled to know the exact nature of the illness but we should know who is running the day to day ops of the team as paying customers. The trading deadline is in 5 days.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
  #125
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Two of those three forwards will likely be gone by the end of next season. Be thankful for the flexibility, at least.
And then who replaces them? More free agents? Obviously it won't be players in the system, drafting and developing top line players is too much to ask of this organization.

OverTheCap is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.